Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone got tips for staghorn algae? Should I just be adjusting c02 up in my tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I have the odd bit of what I think might be staghorn, but it never amounts to much. I don't really know what causes it. I have no CO2, fairly low light, and what aqadvisor considers to be heavily stocked tanks. I don't have nutrient rich soil either. So all you can do is look at what factors are there in your tank and adjust one slowly. A quick Google says it likes iron so if you're dosing that for your plants you could try easing off a bit?

To prove if it's really staghorn algae you can pull a bit off and it supposedly goes red if put in alcohol.

30 more eggs today, by the time I moved the eggs yesterday I got 35 from what was originally 80. Maybe they're laying that many every single time and I just haven't been catching them before they eat them all? I'm trying to hatch this next batch in a hang on breeder box on an overgrown gudgeon grow out tank. The glass is too thin on the tank I got, I think it would be fine for internal boxes but the external ones are quite heavy and I don't want to risk it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Maybe a strange question, but the googles are failing me.

How long will a tank stay cycled without fish, assuming there is fish waste and leftover bits of food in it?

So my quarantine tank had my newest batch of panda cory's in it until about 1.5 weeks ago. This last Friday (aka 2 days ago), I got a batch of ten neon dwarf rainbowfish (awesome suggestion btw, so nice looking even when they're small).

I didn't do a good tank clean until about an hour before I picked them up - the tank had a fair pile of waste that I was just letting the moss and java ferns go through.

Niggling question though - would that have been enough to keep the tank cycled? I've got a spare sponge filter in the main tank I can pop over if need be to give it cycled media, but I'm honestly curious if the waste/food would have kept it cycled enough.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ahhh noo! Siochain your question reminded me that I took a cycled filter off a plastic tub so I could more easily move it to make room for the 15g grow out tank that I'm setting up and I forgot to put the filter back on anything! I bet it's completely dried out now, or if it's wet it's gone stinky and all good bacteria are dead. I guess I'll just have to start over!

I think your tank might minicycle at worst, if the new ammonia sources (cute fish) produce too much and the bacteria have to catch up. If you had any snails in there they'd be making ammonia too so that would help. I'd just do a few extra water changes on that tank just to be on the safe side, a little one every couple of days maybe. How are the rainbows settling in?

Today I saw one of the freerange sterbai fry visiting his younger brothers in fish jail.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Stoca Zola posted:

Ahhh noo! Siochain your question reminded me that I took a cycled filter off a plastic tub so I could more easily move it to make room for the 15g grow out tank that I'm setting up and I forgot to put the filter back on anything! I bet it's completely dried out now, or if it's wet it's gone stinky and all good bacteria are dead. I guess I'll just have to start over!

I think your tank might minicycle at worst, if the new ammonia sources (cute fish) produce too much and the bacteria have to catch up. If you had any snails in there they'd be making ammonia too so that would help. I'd just do a few extra water changes on that tank just to be on the safe side, a little one every couple of days maybe. How are the rainbows settling in?

Today I saw one of the freerange sterbai fry visiting his younger brothers in fish jail.

I loving love your baby cory's and I'm jealous hahah.

No snails in that tank (thank god). Going to keep doing a few mini water changes every day or two just to make sure. The rainbows are awesome - one death, 9 alive - I think that's okay for shipped fish. Really, really voracious eaters, which I take as a good sign. Little bastards just chow down. They're already coloring up nicely, so shimmery and iridescent and just yeah. Loving them. Can't wait for them to get bigger.

There's a 120 for sale locally...guys asking way too much, but I might try to argue him down. I think I need to finish the basement reno first so the wife can't give me (as much) poo poo for being lazy.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

And just to spam the thread -

Dead snail smell. I've been doing water changes constantly, but I think my assassins are killing my pest-snails and not eating them. My tank stinks.

Just keep doing water changes and hope for the best?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What's your substrate? Oh thats right you only started this tank last year, I went back to look at your tank photos. With that sand, you could get (or might already have) a cheap net with large enough mesh size for the sand to fall through, and use it to sift for dead snails in the substrate? Also I often find snails will post themselves en masse under any rocks or hardscape that sits on the surface, so to get a bunch of snails out at once check under things and sweep the snails off into a bucket (or if the assassins have left a bunch of snail corpses there, scoop them out with a net). Not sure if its worth pulling your filter to bits to make sure there's no dead snail particles stuck in it but you never know. Follow your nose!

I don't know how assassin snails work, they're not legal to import here so I don't know how thorough they are at getting all the meat out of the shell. That snail smell has to be one of the worst I've smelled in the hobby, it's so vile! If you have a ton of half eaten rotten snails in your tank it has to be adding extra ammonia too so the water changes are a good idea. You have to find the source and get it out though, or you'll get ammonia, unwanted bacteria and organics for ages until its all gone. I'd be paranoid and adding a little extra prime/safe/ammolock your ammonia temporary disabler of choice too while the incident is playing out.

Ugh I hate that smell so much :(

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

What's your substrate? Oh thats right you only started this tank last year, I went back to look at your tank photos. With that sand, you could get (or might already have) a cheap net with large enough mesh size for the sand to fall through, and use it to sift for dead snails in the substrate? Also I often find snails will post themselves en masse under any rocks or hardscape that sits on the surface, so to get a bunch of snails out at once check under things and sweep the snails off into a bucket (or if the assassins have left a bunch of snail corpses there, scoop them out with a net). Not sure if its worth pulling your filter to bits to make sure there's no dead snail particles stuck in it but you never know. Follow your nose!

I don't know how assassin snails work, they're not legal to import here so I don't know how thorough they are at getting all the meat out of the shell. That snail smell has to be one of the worst I've smelled in the hobby, it's so vile! If you have a ton of half eaten rotten snails in your tank it has to be adding extra ammonia too so the water changes are a good idea. You have to find the source and get it out though, or you'll get ammonia, unwanted bacteria and organics for ages until its all gone. I'd be paranoid and adding a little extra prime/safe/ammolock your ammonia temporary disabler of choice too while the incident is playing out.

Ugh I hate that smell so much :(

Yeah, tanks over-filtered already, and I dose prime a little heavy every time I water change. I'll have to pull everything out/apart again and sweep for snail-corpses. Goddamned snails. As to the assassins - the small ones are terrible about "sucking" the goo out. I've got a couple of big guys who do a clean job, but they won't eat anyone else's kill. Filter seems okay, so I'll just work at finding bodies.

Wheeee.. Rannkkkkkkkk and nasty.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I had forgotten what this was like from last year when I raised the gudgeon fry - it really sucks trying to raise fry of different ages. The oldest ones are great, they pretty much eat ground up flake/pellet, worms, brine shrimp, and tonight mastered eating gel food so they're super easy to feed. The next breeder box has a few fry that are a little bit younger but still quite big, and then a stack of younger again fry since I foolishly collected some eggs from each subsequent laying so their ages are all staggered. At first I was feeding that box less food because the fish were all smaller, but I think there's actually more fry in there than the first box so I need to feed it more food. But I can't feed worms because only some of the fry are big enough to eat them, and then the third box which has newly hatched fry I have started feeding vinegar eels but I can't remember how old they should be before they're able to eat baby brine shrimps. It all jumbles together! I never seem to have enough baby brine shrimp and I run out of microworms feeding box 3 when box 2 probably needs some as well. Hard to see if the small fry get any microworms when the larger fish in there could guzzle them all. And I'm super wary of overfeeding because those breeder boxes are a real pain to clean while the fry are that small. I have moved some of the largest fry from box 2 into box 1 to give the smaller fish more of a chance to get to food but it's still a mystery as to what is going on in that box since the fry are small and are still at the stage of hiding all the time. So I can't even see if they're eating!

On top of that, the plague panda corys are still laying eggs. The first few went fuzzy (much like the parents). I might have mentioned that one of those corys is still kind of fine with just one lesion on the caudal fin, but the other was looking super rough with maybe a fungal infection on top of the original plague. Since nothing else has worked and I wanted to ease them off the salt that has done nothing to help after months, I've switched to using indian almond leaves to make the water go super brown with tannins and it does seem to be working, the sick looking cory looks much better (I tried IA leaves before when the pandas first came in sick but too many of them were hiding under a leaf and then dying unseen and at that time it didnt help). As a result of the blackwater conditions, the latest eggs haven't been going fuzzy. The outsides have gone tan much like the sterbai corys eggs do, but they seem to have whiteness inside so I am not sure if they are fertilized or not. I had a look under the microscope and I couldn't see any detail in the eggs, but maybe it's still too early for that. (I did the same with a sterbai egg but the fry inside wiggled and flipped and I felt terrible for risking the poor little guy so I put him back and didnt take any pictures like I planned to). So I've collected a few panda eggs in the floating breeder box that I made. I worked out if I clipped it to the side of the tank it works quite well, after giving up on it from the sterbai cory tank where it took up too much room. I'm probably not going to collect any more cory eggs, any sterbai cory eggs that survive and grow freerange can live with their 4-5 siblings who were never fed and still have done quite well. As for the pandas, I don't expect the sick panda to last forever despite recent improvements, and I don't want to put any panda with lesions in with other fish. However it would be nice to raise up some offspring so the plague tank pandas have a proper sized school, so I am only keeping the 10 or so eggs that I collected today. The offspring may even be immune to whatever the disease is, much like the other fish that shared quarantine time without falling ill. We will see!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Well, I had a post all ready for the person that was super excited about their new Python, and then realized it was in the Elite Dangerous thread talking about a video game spaceship. :doh:

So instead of Python chat, I'll just say that anyone doing a lot of water changes would be well served by picking up a transfer pump like this:

I use that for draining tanks, and a Python to fill them back up. Dollar for dollar maybe the best $70 I've spent in this hobby so far.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Anyone have experience with Sun Sun canister flow problems, I don't know if the filter sock/sponge combo is killing things out of office skills be looking into the motor on this thing.

Bought this 3 months ago so kind of annoyed

E:Amazon's buying me out. $120 is mine again so I'm getting a penna plax cascade 1200

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Well, I had a post all ready for the person that was super excited about their new Python, and then realized it was in the Elite Dangerous thread talking about a video game spaceship. :doh:

So instead of Python chat, I'll just say that anyone doing a lot of water changes would be well served by picking up a transfer pump like this:

I use that for draining tanks, and a Python to fill them back up. Dollar for dollar maybe the best $70 I've spent in this hobby so far.

I've been thinking of doing something like this because my water pressure sucks, and the faucet is uphill from my tank. It takes a good 20 minutes or longer to drain 3/4s of my 29 gallon

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Enos Cabell posted:

First store I was at had a setup using one mounted on the wall by the sink, with quick-disconnects so the hose transfered from the pump directly to the sink in seconds, it was real nice.

Got myself one from Harbor Freight late last year, but still haven't gotten around to setting it up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fish Noise posted:

First store I was at had a setup using one mounted on the wall by the sink, with quick-disconnects so the hose transfered from the pump directly to the sink in seconds, it was real nice.

Got myself one from Harbor Freight late last year, but still haven't gotten around to setting it up.

That's a pretty great idea, probably would need a stronger pump than what I'm using though.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There’s no way I’d do manual water changes on my new tank which I think is about equivalent to a 120g long. Did a test run with the 17m long kink and crush proof hose I bought, using a overly powerful filter pump I’d abandoned from another project, and it had no problems getting water from my tank in the laundry, across the back verandah, back in through the back door, across the lounge and up into the tank. It didn’t take too long to pump the full 100lt and since the tank is so tall, siphoning out was pretty quick too. I think for water changes at least, maintenance will be quite doable. I’ll need to come up with a better way to hook the hose to the tank though, the U bend I was using came off and I watered the lounge room carpet a bit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Probably overkill for a 10g, but my life got so much easier after making one of these out of $15 in PVC. I put a ball valve on mine, but never even use it so could do it even cheaper than that. I can screw my Python right onto it, it hangs in place on the tank, and water comes out the holes on the side so doesn't disrupt the substrate.

Quoting myself from a while back, but this was super simple to make out of PVC Stoca.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Looks pretty good, I think really I could do with a proper clamp for the hose instead of relying on a barbed fitting which is where mine failed (no surprise really). Another project to add to the list for the term break! Last day of term today and I’m probably going to spend all day doodling fishtank layouts.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

Looks pretty good, I think really I could do with a proper clamp for the hose instead of relying on a barbed fitting which is where mine failed (no surprise really). Another project to add to the list for the term break! Last day of term today and I’m probably going to spend all day doodling fishtank layouts.

Are you a teacher stoca? I’ve left the feeding of the tank in my girlfriends hands while I hang out in Wagga for a few days to do some metalworking stuff for uni. She did alright on night one but forgot the Cory food that I feed after lights out. She fixed it though so that’s a positive and I know she won’t touch any of the other stuff

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Are you a teacher stoca?

I do IT support for a school, and for some reason my employment conditions are term time only so... I don't have to sit around by myself for 2 weeks every term break which is great! It's a part time job so that gives me more time for fish.

As long as she doesn't overfeed your fish they'll be fine! And even if she does, your tank is big enough to handle it until you come back I reckon.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable low transfer rate air/water pump? Looking for something to maintain siphon to an overflow for my freshwater tank.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

I do IT support for a school, and for some reason my employment conditions are term time only so... I don't have to sit around by myself for 2 weeks every term break which is great! It's a part time job so that gives me more time for fish.

As long as she doesn't overfeed your fish they'll be fine! And even if she does, your tank is big enough to handle it until you come back I reckon.

Ah ok that makes sense. I’m on the otherside of the fence doing teaching but that doesn’t give me a whole lot of time for fish stuff.
I had to walk her through restarting the filter as it hosed out in a blackout. Was stressful but she got it going again so all good. One of the big downsides with the tidal filters is the impeller gets a load of poo poo packed in it and occasionally needs a manual restart which isn’t hard unless it’s over the phone and you’ve never done it before

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Hey, one of my Albino Corys laid about two dozen eggs on the side of the tank! Sadly I really do not have a setup to safely grow them in, hopefully they don't get munched on before they hatch. How long should that take?

Edit: I guess they'll eat the fry too anyways, should they hatch. Seems these little dudes are doomed. I have a spare 10 gallon but I don't have a cycled filter ready to go. :(

Edit: My shrimp are already snacking on them.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 14, 2018

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I've got a submersible pump, I think I can take some media from my main filter and make a King of DIY inspired filter out of it, I just need to pick up another heater and air pump. Gonna try to save these little guys.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

It will be 3-5 days based on temperature and species, and once they harden up you can kind of gently slide them with your finger or roll them loose and suck them up with a pipette or turkey baster (although this method can result in the egg getting stuck inside since they're adhesive). I think assassin snails, Amano shrimp and maybe ghost shrimp are predatory to eggs and fry but cherry shrimp are fine. Some people just do tons of water changes for their fry tanks, and filterwise anything powered might be too strong and suck up the newborn fry, your best bet is some kind of airlift sponge filter. You do want water circulation around the eggs to stop them going mouldy. I have a powered filter in my main sterbai tank but it is tiny, and I have it up near the surface so it's much harder to suck up fry from there. I don't think the adult corys ate any babies on purpose though, they don't seem to hunt them.

For a diy fry saver box I stuck some pool noodle foam to the outside of a small plastic tub, cut a hole in the side and glued some mesh over it, and have it pegged to the edge of the tank so that it's floating but tethered. I used an airlift to get a slow trickle of water going into the tub, and that way the main filter of the tank does all the work and the water in the tub changes all the time. The fry can't fit through the mesh and are contained in a small space.

I think the important thing is to have some cover for your fry after they hatch, and a single leaf is good enough. You won't see the fry for maybe a week until they're brave enough to come out when the lights are on. Having them in a smaller tub makes it much easier for them to find food but if you have them in their own tank it will probably still be fine since they'll congregate all in the one place under cover and you can just add food for them near that.

You'll be able to tell if the eggs are fertile because they'll go dark, and become a tan colour as they harden. If they go white they didn't fertilise and if they go fluffy they're mouldy but not necessarily infertile. Indian almond leaves both provide cover and add tannins to fight mould but dried oak leaf does the same if you don't have almond leaves.

Good luck!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ironsolid posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable low transfer rate air/water pump? Looking for something to maintain siphon to an overflow for my freshwater tank.

Thought I'd replied to this yesterday, pretty much everyone I've seen do this swears by the TOM aquarium Aqua lifter pump, due to being cheap and reliable. It seems to be a dosing pump and I couldn't find anything like it for as cheap apart from some on eBay that have no power supply, and no case so by the time you set that up you might as well have just bought the other one. The TOM one is on Amazon and various other places sell it, plus it has accessories you can get like a prefilter chamber and a hanger which make using it easier.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I decided to pick up an inexpensive breeder net for now to save some money and effort until I know if they're even gonna hatch or not. I haven't seen any change in them but they do appear to have faintly visible dark masses in the center. I got to watch my Cory lay another dozen eggs or so! My Amanos ate a few, and I sadly dropped a few more into the substrate while I was trying to move them, but all in all I have ~30 eggs.

If they hatch I'll definitely get my 10 gallon set up for them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm pretty excited to see how you do! And to see how many fry will be albino vs normal colouration, I don't know if albinism is recessive or what in corydoras so that will be interesting. If you get any pigmented ones you'll be able to tell (eventually) if they're paleatus or aeneus albinos. Actually it looks like paleatus fry have very similar markings to sterbai fry with the same eye patches, but aeneus have a skunk stripe instead. If you can get pictures please post some! You'll have a couple of weeks at least before you'd want to move them out of a breeder box since its easier to feed them when they're all in one spot.

I was pretty keen to get my fry grow out tank filled but I'm going to have to wait until the under-tank EVA foam I ordered arrives, I don't want to risk cracking it when I fill it! I've got enough coming that I will be able to get some under the cube tank too, assuming my plan to take the back off the stand works to get the tank out. I saw some accessible screws on the rear side and I'd rather clean and reseal it when it's out in the open so I am going to unscrew and see what happens. After all they had to have got the tank in there somehow, right? I had the idea that they put it in from the top but realistically that would be impossible. Or built the top half of the stand around it. Anyway that's a job for later on in the holidays after I've finished moving everyone across into the new tank, and that might not happen until I get a chance to test how cycled the tank is with some ammonia which I also ordered. Busy days ahead!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
My aquarium experience has been pretty hilarious but also fun.

Started with a planted tank back in like October of 2017.

I thought some shrimp would be an awesome addition so I got about 6 baby RCS from the local fish shop.

Turns out it was 5 baby female red cherry and one male orange rili. :suicide:

Soooo..... Then my tank got infested with snails and the ugly little brown shrimp offspring from the Orange Rili and Red Cherry.

Bought some assassin snails to eat the pond snails, now they are the dominant species.

Figured the shrimp would just overpopulate to the extreme (because they were lol) so I got a "Tangerine Lobster" to hopefully act as a single predator.

https://i.imgur.com/dSYbJpl.gifv

Little shrimp are way too fast for Lobster to catch so it decides to just eat all my plants and go full lumberjack in the planted tank.

Now I've got an awesome female Tangerine lobster that gives piggyback rides to all the little shrimp it was intended to eat. :kiddo:

I also figured out that if I bundle all my plants together at the base, the lobster won't care about tearing them to shreds and eating them. I just let them float with the weights on the bottom rather than burying anything now.

https://i.imgur.com/jPNtlYK.gifv
almost got it!

https://i.imgur.com/MKy5fke.gifv

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 17, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That’s a really pretty lobster! A lot bigger than my little dudes, yours is Procambarus clarkii if I’m not mistaken, and I think mine are Cambarellus shufeldtii. So yours is “pro”, meaning before, cambarus and mine are “little” cambarus, nowhere near as brightly coloured as yours but the natural colours seem to vary between blue, grey, brown, red - it doesn’t seem to matter what substrate they’re on or who breeds with who, they come out all colours. Shrimp can move fast both forwards and backwards, whereas crays can really only get a lot of speed up going backwards so shrimp have the advantage when it comes to manoeuvrability. However shrimp are pretty dumb and crayfish and lobsters as far as I can tell are mostly ambush predators and scavengers. For the shrimp that accidentally ended up in my crayfish tank via transfer on plants, they all eventually became dinner. My crays also eat snails and have destroyed plants, despite being so tiny. I had a really pretty windelov java fern tied to a little terracotta pot that I’d put in my crayfish tank for cover when I first got them, and they’ve eaten it almost to sticks. There was an anubias in there but they’ve left that alone aside from constantly uprooting it, and they demolished all the moss I had put in. I had made a moss rope that I was very proud of, which they loved climbing on but now it is just bald rope which they pretty much ignore. They also seem to eat riccia, susswassertang and I’m trying hydrilla to see if they like that. I think they eat water sprite too but it grows fast enough to keep up with mild grazing.

I’m going to try setting up like a creek habitat with a raised bed at the back which I want to plant and allow plants to emerge from the water. So fast growing stem plants like Rotala and hygrophila (I have difformis, polysperma and corymbosa which all go nuts) and maybe some ludwigia if that takes off, and if they end up eating a lot of it, good for them.

I probably should have thought of it before now but I end up with a lot of java moss trimmings and I probably should have been feeding it to the crayfish all along instead of keeping it in a plastic tub with no idea what to do with it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Goofed a water change and lost all my 7 silver tip tetras.... Any recommendations for my community tank now? All the cherry barbs in the tank made it out find with no complications

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You have plenty of room in that tank if I recall, planted 55g? Good starting point is to look at what is compatible with your water hardness, flow and temperature. You could try a big school of pencilfish, rummynose tetra, or kyathit danio, or tinwini danio, harlequin or espei or hengeli (glowlight) rasboras, or maybe a school of rainbowfish (Madagascan rainbows if you have acidic to neutral water, Celebes rainbows if you have higher pH, or dwarf neon rainbows or any of the smaller species). While I like the idea of rams or apistos they’re dwarf cichlids so you probably want to avoid them due to possible aggression, same with angels or gourami. Also avoid aggressive nippy tetras like serpae, black widows, red eye, etc. Peacock gudgeons might work but they can be a little fussy at times about food and water conditions and again mild aggression during breeding and courting. Zebra loaches (botia striata) don’t get too big, under 10cm I think but don’t quote me on that, and if you had 5 or 6 I think they’d be pretty well behaved and they enjoy a bit of water flow, but they’ll use up a lot of your tanks capacity and not leave much room for future additions. Or you could always get more corydoras if you don’t like loaches! You could do a school of 10+ corys of any compatible species. If your tank is covered, hatchet fish might be cool. With cherry barbs as your starting point I can’t think of anything they’re not compatible with, not including big fish that could eat them which I’m sure is not what you have in mind for this tank. I think striped Raphaels will eat cherry barbs for example despite being a pretty peaceful fish otherwise.

I guess it comes down to whether you want peaceful shoaling or zoomy action or colour once you rule out fish that don’t suit your conditions. Also depends on what fits into your quarantine tank.

This reminds me, I was going to get some Odessa barbs, or more rasboras these holidays but I’ve been so busy with corydoras fry that I think it’s going to have to wait. I’m thinking 6 months from now the fry grow out tank should be empty and able to take over quarantine duty. Despite laying unfertile eggs like crazy, I’ve noticed that one of my plague corydoras is developing a large thickened white patch along her sides so I think this is the start of a downhill slide for her, which is a shame because I’d started thinking she might survive whatever this illness is. So six months from now I think that tank will be empty too.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
This is my 55 gallon. I posted it in here a few years ago when the dennison barbs were little, I think.

Gallery

Thalamas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 19, 2018

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ended up grabbing 7 featherfin rainbows at my local place because they were on sale.

right now that puts me at:
7 rainbows
8ish cherry barbs
9 corydorus aneus
6 otocinclus
1 dwarf gourami
5 nerites
10 amano shrimp
12ish cherry shrimp

not sure what else Ill even add to the tank at this point really. Also corys are the best fish

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m gonna have to get into my tank and look after some of the plants shortly. The ambulia has gotten so big that it’s blocking the flow. The algae that has appeared is a combo of low flow and some of the plants getting no light. I really like it as a plant but it’s a tricky beast to entertain.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Thalamas posted:

This is my 55 gallon. I posted it in here a few years ago when the dennison barbs were little, I think.

Gallery

I really like that.
I need to find some decent taller plants (lily-like things) that will do well in a sand substrate in my 55

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Well sadly my Cory eggs got overrun with fungus and basically melted away. Gonna pick up something to treat it next time and figure out how I can encourage them to spawn again...

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thalamas posted:

Gallery

Very nice tank!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Well sadly my Cory eggs got overrun with fungus and basically melted away. Gonna pick up something to treat it next time and figure out how I can encourage them to spawn again...

This is happening constantly on my plague panda cory eggs; meanwhile I've noticed 2 more freerange fry in the main tank after the eggs I've been ignoring still manage to keep surviving and hatching. I'm using the same water, a bit of almond leaves, nothing special on both tanks, the only difference is the poor health of the pandas that are laying. I even tried bathing the panda eggs in some meth blue and it didn't help, its possible that my pandas aren't actually fertile after all the medication they've been through, I don't think any of the eggs really browned up properly like fertile eggs should. I did read somewhere (probably Planet Catfish forums) that a guy breeding corys found treating with methylene blue was fine for some species but for others it seemed to kill the eggs. He switched to using almond leaves/alder cones/snails to clean the eggs and got a much higher hatch rate. Anyway I think your corys will spawn again, if they've spawned once they are obviously happy with the conditions you're giving them. I'm not sure what you can do if the eggs aren't being fertilized properly though! Maybe they'll get better at it with practise.

w00tmonger posted:

7 rainbows
8ish cherry barbs
9 corydorus aneus
6 otocinclus
1 dwarf gourami
5 nerites
10 amano shrimp
12ish cherry shrimp

That's a really nice stock list, I'd heard thread/featherfin rainbows were a bit shy at feeding time but your tank looks to be pretty peaceful and not at all crowded so I wouldn't expect problems. You're probably understocked but I don't think you need to add anything, give your fish room to swim and plants room to grow and maybe some will breed and you'll get more fish that way (or maybe 6 months from now you could add more of the same of something you already have, if they are all working well together).

Thalamas posted:

I love this tank! I hope my big anubias looks like that one when I move it to the new tank.The barbs look great. Is that a weather loach?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was surprised at a local pet store when I saw they keep cherry shrimp in the same tank as the assassin snails. I assume assassins will go after shrimp as well as snails, but I guess the shrimp are pretty fast so most escape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

In theory they're going to sell the shrimp fast enough that the shrimp won't have time to moult and thus won't be soft/weak from moulting, which is when the assassin snail has a chance. It's probably to their advantage that assassin snails will pick off any unwell shrimp before sale too.

I've never seen either for sale here! Actually just looked at my local store's website and they don't even advertise that they sell live fish, haha.