Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A piece of poo poo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

CestMoi posted:

Young Thug deserves the Pulitzer over Kendrick

young thug deserves the medal of honor

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I have probably a negative knowledge or ability to appreciate/understand hip hop, but I listened to drat and thought it sounded drat good

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I looked at the list of recent pulitzer winners and idk why you would look to that for fiction recommendations

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Officer Sandvich posted:

I looked at the list of recent pulitzer winners and idk why you would look to that for fiction recommendations

I'm sure I've posted this before, but

quote:

The Pulitzer Prize in fiction takes dead aim at mediocrity and almost never misses.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So anyways, Babyfucker is a series of Beckett inspired vignettes without any clear sense of reality or coherence. It's not at all shocking as much as its patently absurd. Literary Dadaism.

Pretty good, and its gonna take a long time to disentangle all of its messages.

The messages are all entangled, I must disentangle them to get the messages

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Mrenda posted:

Has anyone read Samanta Schweblin's Fever Dream (nominated for the Booker a few years ago.) This was the article that put me onto it. https://lithub.com/samanta-schweblin-on-revealing-darkness-through-fiction/

Gonna order it today if no-one has horrific stuff to say about it. Also other books, but I have no clue which.

I've read a collection of her short stories and liked them quite a bit. They were really violent and out of sentimentality I didn't like the story in which the dog gets killed.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
after an extended break from faulkner i went back and finished sanctuary. it's real good. but it's the bleakest of his novels that i've read. even absalom, absalom was about the incestuous south consuming its own time and itself. sanctuary is a treatise on how much sense evil makes. everything gets hosed up. you're only content when you're dead, because you realize that evil is logical, and the world operates according to that logic.

good poo poo. i'm starting vineland next because gravity's rainbow seems too daunting at the moment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Unless you've read the rest of his books, maybe don't read Vineland next. It's fine, I like it, but it's his worst novel.

Edit: Just get through part 1 of Gravity's Rainbow. It opens up and becomes easier to follow immediately after, and Part 1 has some of the book's funniest and weirdest sections.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 17, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

And its still aggressively wrong

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Foul Fowl posted:

good poo poo. i'm starting vineland next because gravity's rainbow seems too daunting at the moment.

Just read GR.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I just ordered Fever Dream and Beckett's Murphy. The Beckett was suggested to me by a guy I know from the pub (an artist and big reader) who read a short story of mine and said I'd get a lot out of it if I could get a hold of Beckett's ideas beyond the madness.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

J_RBG posted:

Kendrick Lamar deserves a Pulitzer more than Bob Dylan deserves a Nobel but his win shows that rap will replace jazz as the modish black art appropriated by upper-middle-class white intelligentsia #myhottake

"will"?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
to be fair if American music was limited solely to what white people produced we would all still be listening to people blowing into jugs

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Can you lot please not talk about music actually

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I only listen to Townes Van Zandt and Townes Van Zandt amalgams

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Franchescanado posted:

Unless you've read the rest of his books, maybe don't read Vineland next. It's fine, I like it, but it's his worst novel.

Edit: Just get through part 1 of Gravity's Rainbow. It opens up and becomes easier to follow immediately after, and Part 1 has some of the book's funniest and weirdest sections.

i've decided, after some reflection and soul-searching that, if people are unwilling to "tackle" GR or Mason & Dixon due to their lengths, but want to try pynchon, they should read inherent vice, even though it's probably the least pynchon-y pynchon.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tree Goat posted:

i've decided, after some reflection and soul-searching that, if people are unwilling to "tackle" GR or Mason & Dixon due to their lengths, but want to try pynchon, they should read inherent vice, even though it's probably the least pynchon-y pynchon.

I think that IV has EVERYTHING that makes Pynchon Pynchon, it just also happens to be emotionally fulfilling, mostly lucid and with an actual conclusion. Vineland comes close to that, but it just feels like everyone gave up on editing it to just publish it. Vineland is his most sentimental, though, compared to IV's nostalgia.

I still plan on reading/finishing M&D this year.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Ras Het posted:

Can you lot please not talk about music actually

You brought it up!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That's why I said actually

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Franchescanado posted:

I think that IV has EVERYTHING that makes Pynchon Pynchon, it just also happens to be emotionally fulfilling, mostly lucid and with an actual conclusion. Vineland comes close to that, but it just feels like everyone gave up on editing it to just publish it. Vineland is his most sentimental, though, compared to IV's nostalgia.

I still plan on reading/finishing M&D this year.

you can't read v in an afternoon, though

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tree Goat posted:

you can't read v in an afternoon, though

True, but I can't read any book in an afternoon. I'm a slow reader

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Lol if you read fewer than 800 wpm

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
new verse beowulf get hyped
https://twitter.com/MARIADAHVANA/status/986023541639405569

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I need to see how she translates Hwaet before I get hyped

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
we really dont need new translations of beowulf, the aeneid, the odyssey, the iliad, or sir gawain and the green knight. it's okay to stop for a while, now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

When's the last time someone tackled the Decameron

We need a good Decameron

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Crying of Lot 49 is always the best entry point to Pynchon. You can definitely read GR after that.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

When's the last time someone tackled the Decameron

We need a good Decameron.

do all the really weird medieval Welsh poems about king arthur fighting werewolves and talking to birds and descending into Hell. no one reads those besides academics bc theres only like one translation and it sells for $2k on amazon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

do all the really weird medieval Welsh poems about king arthur fighting werewolves and talking to birds and descending into Hell. no one reads those besides academics bc theres only like one translation and it sells for $2k on amazon

I worry if we let the larger world know there are stories about King Arthur fighting werewolves it would mean someone would make a lets read thread

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let's Fix the Arthurian Mythos

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

WASDF posted:

The Crying of Lot 49 is always the best entry point to Pynchon. You can definitely read GR after that.

strong disagree on that one. while i think it gets a bad rap, it's def. not his strongest. i could see a lot of people who would bounce off of lot 49 and extrapolate from there to not wanting to tackle any of his others.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tree Goat posted:

strong disagree on that one. while i think it gets a bad rap, it's def. not his strongest. i could see a lot of people who would bounce off of lot 49 and extrapolate from there to not wanting to tackle any of his others.

It was my first Pynchon, and I loved it, but I agree with this. It was Inherent Vice and V. that made me a fan. Even Pynchon dislikes Lot 49.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

WASDF posted:

It's short but it's really dense and discursive. I'd recommend Inherent Vice or even Bleeding Edge as a starting point for a new reader. Bleeding Edge would definitely help a new reader understand how Pynchon uses the culture to construct his works.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I guess it could be off-putting, but I think it's fun, interesting and small enough that you can't really make a mistake. It would be worse, I think, to read Inherent Vice or Bleeding Edge and then get to GR and be spun for how weird and intimidating it is.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i've read crying of lot 49 and loved it. vineland i chose because i had it on my shelf and i'm writing on pynchon for uni and there's 0% chance i'll be able to finish GR on time. but it's on my list of books to read over summer.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
With Pynchon I wanted to jump straight into the deep end, so I've only read Gravity's Rainbow and Against the Day.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i got gravity rainbow but the first word was 'A' and i was like ugh wtf and gave up

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
M&d was my first pyncheob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

derp posted:

i got gravity rainbow but the first word was 'A' and i was like ugh wtf and gave up

The second word would probably have you screaming, so it's best you stopped before you really started.