Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The Morgenthaler method seems like it would be bitter, since that's what usually happens when you macerate green stuff. Does the blanching prevent that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I would imagine the blanching prevents that. I haven’t tried it though. Using heat on mint will give you the cooked mint flavor which is not very desirable. You might have better luck with a long slow cold or room temp flavor infusion.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Mint julep season is coming up for me. What's the best method for mint syrup, Morganthaler with the blanching, blending, fine straining, or steep in hot syrup and cover? Can anybody vouch? I'm gonna try to use multiple kinds of mint this time.

i don't care if the syrup turns dark I'm gonna use deep brown raw sugar and ultimately mix it with bourbon, color not important, just flavor.

Blanch and blend, IMO. Keeps flavor and color much longer

E: I usually to a ~10s boil and shock immediately. I never noticed a cooked mint flavor

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm gonna try the blanch and shock method with both spearmint and peppermint, then pack the blender pretty full. I usually preserve my syrup with a bit of liquor I will probably add that in advance, could help pull out flavor.

Will report back.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Currently visiting Atlanta, landed an apartment and will be moving here late May. We’re at Kimball House right now and are impressed thus far but I did have to tell our bartender how to make an Alaska. Came out fantastic though. The bottled French 75 with cognac and carbonated Muscadet and the draft Chartreuse tonic were both excellent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

poop dood posted:

Currently visiting Atlanta, landed an apartment and will be moving here late May. We’re at Kimball House right now and are impressed thus far but I did have to tell our bartender how to make an Alaska. Came out fantastic though. The bottled French 75 with cognac and carbonated Muscadet and the draft Chartreuse tonic were both excellent.

Go see my homie Pat at Ticonderoga Club! definitely worth checking out . I'm also planning a move out there in the next couple months and gonna be looking for bar work, I'm excited

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

bottled French 75

The French 75 is one of my favorite cocktails, and now this is a thing I really want to make. I wonder what sort of shelf life it has.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Comb Your Beard posted:

Mint julep season is coming up for me. What's the best method for mint syrup, Morganthaler with the blanching, blending, fine straining, or steep in hot syrup and cover? Can anybody vouch? I'm gonna try to use multiple kinds of mint this time.

i don't care if the syrup turns dark I'm gonna use deep brown raw sugar and ultimately mix it with bourbon, color not important, just flavor.

Thoht posted:

I'd love to know, too. I've never been able to make a mint syrup I was 100% happy with.

Nitrous infusion in an ISI whip makes a truly next level mint syrup. Bright and fresh with no earthy planty chlorophyll taste. I had the same issue, was never 100% happy until I tried this method. Plus it only takes 2 minutes.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

goferchan posted:

Go see my homie Pat at Ticonderoga Club! definitely worth checking out . I'm also planning a move out there in the next couple months and gonna be looking for bar work, I'm excited

I went there yesterday too! Nice place.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

friendly 2 da void posted:

Nitrous infusion in an ISI whip makes a truly next level mint syrup. Bright and fresh with no earthy planty chlorophyll taste. I had the same issue, was never 100% happy until I tried this method. Plus it only takes 2 minutes.

So just put a bunch of uncrushed mint leaves in syrup, pressurize and wait two minutes and that's it?

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Steve Yun posted:

So just put a bunch of uncrushed mint leaves in syrup, pressurize and wait two minutes and that's it?

Pretty much! You'll get MAXIMUM FLAVOR if you muddle very lightly first.

I rinse the stems/leaves, muddle a tiny bit, then pack the canister and pour in syrup. I've also gotten great results from just throwing in leaves though so who knows how necessary it is. Mint is so drat delicate. If you can see/smell lots of mint oil on the surface of the leaves, there's no way you need to muddle.

I do recommend two nitrous charges. I charge, agitate a bit, wait one minute, charge again, wait one minute, vent the gas. It's pretty remarkable if you've never done it before. No woodsy flavor whatsoever. This is the same technique fancypants NYC restaurant Eleven Madison Park uses for all their mint infusions, so I'd imagine its tough to beat.

friendly 2 da void fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 11, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What amounts? 1 bunch of mint? How much syrup?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

The French 75 is one of my favorite cocktails, and now this is a thing I really want to make. I wonder what sort of shelf life it has.

I made a "French 75 mix" once and just added Champagne/garnish when serving. Worked quite well. After the event was over, the remainder of the mix lasted a few days.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

zmcnulty posted:

I made a "French 75 mix" once and just added Champagne/garnish when serving. Worked quite well. After the event was over, the remainder of the mix lasted a few days.

I've done the same, though I don't think I ever tried keeping it longer than a day. Something about having it all ready to go in one bottle just appeals to me.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The Kimball House cocktail mentioned “carbonated Muscadet” in its menu description, leading me to believe they made the cocktail with a still wine (Muscadet, duh) and force-carbonated it before bottling. Pretty cool.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Can someone link me all the amazing punch recipes?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can someone link me all the amazing punch recipes?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438778&pagenumber=90&perpage=40#post447209540

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Cocktail goons, I have a simple thought exercise for you. Say you are in Thai Airline's painfully mediocre business class lounge at Hong Kong International. The bar is self serve. The only measuring device availible is your eyes and judgement(and fingers really). The booze selection is as follows. Jim Bean, Johnie Walker Black, Bacardi Rum, Beefeater Gin, A middling Cognac, Stoli, Martini Vermouths (red and white) and Campari.

The mixers are standard. The only garnish is lemon wedges, and the only juice is concentrate apple or Orange.

What do you make?

I made an old pal with the JWB. Best of a bad situation

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Gin and tonic with campari, sweet vermouth and lemon juice is good.

Like a Negroni tonic.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If the vermouth bottle hasn't been opened and then left sitting around at room temperature until there's dust on it, a Negroni. But it has been opened and then left sitting around at room temperature until there's dust on it.

So, Campari on the rocks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Presuming there's soda water, a highball with johnnie black and a twist.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Halloween Jack posted:

If the vermouth bottle hasn't been opened and then left sitting around at room temperature until there's dust on it, a Negroni. But it has been opened and then left sitting around at room temperature until there's dust on it.

So, Campari on the rocks.

Yeah I was gonna say Campari and a kolonopin

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Presuming there's soda water, a highball with johnnie black and a twist.

If the soda doesn’t suck, a highball is always the answer.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pound the bottle of vermouth, let some dribble onto your shirt and then drop it while breathing heavily and looking around the room while establishing eye contact with the other guests to establish cocktail dominance over them

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
My old pal was probably double strength due to my fat fingers. It was drinkable. The red vermouth was new because I had to open thr bottle. It got me a good buzz before the flight.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I did an experiment with some Aperol. Drank a bit of the dregs of my old bottle that had been on the bar for months being slowly used. Cracked open a new bottle and tasted that too. Surprisingly they were extremely extremely close in taste. Being 11% alcohol I would have expected it turn more like a vermouth. Anecdotal I know.

Mint syrup ended up well. I'm not sure it tastes better than the other method though. Used a skimmer spoon to do the brief blanching in boiling water, easier. Used panela (Latino block sugar), tastes pretty different.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Because it's not wine based, I think? I don't think there's much threat in oxidization because neutral spirit doesnt oxidize like fortified wine does.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Actually you're right, that's a pretty simple explanation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What is the best gin for a Negroni.

I only got to appreciate gin long after rum and whiskey, so I don't really know much about unique gins like Hendrick's.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

After trying a bunch of them over the years, I prefer standard Bombay dry (i.e., not Sapphire) for most cocktails, but I'll let the actual professionals weigh in.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

When it comes to London dry gins it's mostly personal preference. I'm partial to tanqueray & St George junipero, but honestly once you get to Beefeater level and up all the major London drys are really good. They've been around as long as they have for a reason.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Can anybody recommend a favorite “white” rum for home cocktails that’s at a good level between affordable and not complete garbage?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

curlys gold posted:

Can anybody recommend a favorite “white” rum for home cocktails that’s at a good level between affordable and not complete garbage?

Havana Club 3 Años. Only if you're not in the US, probably.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I haven't sampled a great variety, but Cruzan has worked well for me so far.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Fun thing about rum is that even the good stuff is relatively cheap. I like Barbancourt white as my "rail" white rum at home. Got that funky hogo poo poo goin' on without being too forceful of a presence.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Cruzan is cheap and pretty serviceable. We have a bottle of Diplomatico Planas at home that we LOVE.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
If you're in the eastern US and you can pick up a bottle of Maggie's Farm white rum, do it. It's excellent and less than $30 (in PA, anyway).

I mean, it's also good outside the eastern US, but I don't know if it's available. :)

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Cool, thanks. Now I’m going to try and make some orgeat. Wish me luck.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

When it comes to London dry gins it's mostly personal preference. I'm partial to tanqueray & St George junipero, but honestly once you get to Beefeater level and up all the major London drys are really good. They've been around as long as they have for a reason.
Beefeater in particular is good, but I find it to be a little mild. What do you think of plain old Gordon's?

curlys gold posted:

The best white rum I've ever had is still Flor de Cana Extra Dry. Unfortunately they are a hellworld garbage dick company so I don't buy from them anymore. Seconding Cruzan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Halloween Jack posted:

Beefeater in particular is good, but I find it to be a little mild. What do you think of plain old Gordon's?

The best white rum I've ever had is still Flor de Cana Extra Dry. Unfortunately they are a hellworld garbage dick company so I don't buy from them anymore. Seconding Cruzan.

Really? That loving sucks I usually stock their 18 year. I'm going to have to quit buying it now aren't I?