Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Sedgr posted:

Speaking of cordless sets. Anyone have any thoughts on this Ryobi combo?

Ryobi Drill and Driver Combo

Set was on sale at Home Depot today and I was thinking of picking it up for the odd jobs I need for around the house. $88 CAD seems pretty reasonable to me but I dont really know.

I have ryobi stuff because it's what my parents bought me when I got married and once into a battery system It's hard to deviate. It's not contractor grade equipment but it works and its cheap. Good for the average handy hone owner. I've never had an issue with any of my ryobi tools with lots of use in the last 5-6 years. I've only heard anecdotal evidence but if you have a problem with it just bring it into the store and they usually help you out with a replacement on the spot.

I've got a drill, 2 impact wrenches (old model was too weak & newer more powerful model is much better) a circular saw, flashlight and a few batteries, the best of which is the 5ah battery with the charge indicator light.

I would like to pick up an impact driver though. My house was just broken into a few weeks ago and seeing my contractors driver in action was much better than doing the same thing with a drill. Also you don't that torque kickback that you do on a drill if the clutch isn't set perfectly. I normally don't notice it but I have a broken right hand at the moment. My drill torqued and rotated hard against my broken hand and it didn't feel good at all. It was my fault for not having the clutch loose enough but i was driving 3-1/2" screws into my door frame and needed the power. The driver didn't do it at all.

I'll also grab an angle grinder at some point.

The nice thing about ryobi is they make a million and a half different tools for the battery system. Some are more useful than others but they are devoted to their system and you can usually find them on sale. sometimes they run limited time deals that are stupid cheap. Plus home depots are everywhere.

I don't care for the green color but so long as my screws get driven, boards get cut, hired get drilled and struck bolts get broken free ... I could care less what color it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
There are only 2 reasons I didn't get Ryobi, they are too expensive for cheap tools. In some ways, I almost regret getting Milwaukee instead of Black & Decker from Walmart, they are worlds apart in price but hell I still have my $20 B&D cordless drill which is a real piece of poo poo, it has a 7.2v non changeable NiCad battery if that gives you any idea how low budget the drill is. It's a turd, but it just won't die, unless I am like trying to use it to drive a really long screw. The second reason I didn't buy Ryobi is because they are too cheap to be good tools, I felt like for just a little more (ok like $90 vs $180, twice the cost but still reasonably low budget) I could get contractor grade Milwaukee drills. When you buy your first Ryobi drill your not just buying the drill, your buying the whole Ryobi battery system, in that sense to me it makes more sense to spend more on a contractor grade battery system than a home owner grade Ryobi battery system. But those are just my justifications for buying Milwaukee (and the fact their red looks great), Ryobi will probably be a good enough tool for you if that is what your heart desires.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I went Ryobi. Milwaukee is undoubtedly better, but the price difference is significant on a percentage basis and definitely adds up as you go. Aside from the circular saw being incredibly weak I have no complaints so far. My corded tools, however, are all bright yellow.

You can always mix and match if you have to, though that's also a pain in the rear end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Being in Ryobis battery system is nice sometimes just for all the other dumb poo poo that you now have available

Like their fuckin cordless hot glue gun. I love that thing.

And I’ve been eyeing up their new shop vacs and stuff that run on the same batteries.

Also the prices on like all their poo poo just got dropped, I’ve been thinking about upgrading my old blue Ryobi impact to a new pulse driver since they’re only $80 now

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have Ryobi poo poo as well (leaf blower, drill/driver, and impact wrench) and it's all fine so far. The keyless chuck loosened while I was drilling something the first and only time using it, but otherwise I have no complaints.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, but do you get a cordless coffee maker like us Nakita folks do?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

B-Nasty posted:

Don't forget about their 40v/60v bullshit marketing wank. It really just means cheaper components and wiring, not more usable power.

In my perfect world, tool batteries would have to list:
- Total Watt Hours (most do this)
- Manufacturer and number of lithium cells
- Individual mAh rating of cells

I'm the guy with the 60v version chainsaw and blower.

But I will say, at the lake house, doing menial tasks, they work great. Not having to deal with cords and gas/oil makes it worth it to me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

*takes a cold beer from the 18v cooler* "yeah I suppose you got me there"

coathat
May 21, 2007

Sockser posted:

Being in Ryobis battery system is nice sometimes just for all the other dumb poo poo that you now have available

Like their fuckin cordless hot glue gun. I love that thing.

And I’ve been eyeing up their new shop vacs and stuff that run on the same batteries.

Also the prices on like all their poo poo just got dropped, I’ve been thinking about upgrading my old blue Ryobi impact to a new pulse driver since they’re only $80 now

The annoying thing about the pulse driver is how the light works. It doesn’t have a delay where it stays on instead it only comes on when you’re pulling the trigger and immediately turns off when you let go. That made me give up on it and just get the regular 3 speed impact.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

:psyduck: oh my god it’s real

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Think I've said this in here before, but:
My tools are all Big Yellow and have performed great for 13 years. They live in the garage and have a fairly easy life, and I fully expect them to last until it becomes impossible to find batteries for them.

My dad switched from a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee to all Ryobi because he retired and bought a tree farm and Ryobi is cheap enough that he can have something like 20 batteries and a bunch of chargers with tools cheap enough that it is not a tragedy when one gets left up in the woods or gets run over by the four-wheeler.

Different tools for different needs.

Having said that, my dewalt impact driver is probably my single most used tool to the point that I gave up using a corded screw gun while installing cement board and just went with it because it was better at the job then another tools specifically designed just for that.

Also, I far too often use the bottom of my driver's battery pack as a field expedient hammer, and have never had it complain about it. Not sure how a cheaper tool would stand up to that.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Any recommendations on power washers? Looking for an electric model for general home use, Costco has a 1900psi Powerstroke for $150, amazon has a few random brands in that price range.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

Think I've said this in here before, but:
My tools are all Big Yellow and have performed great for 13 years. They live in the garage and have a fairly easy life, and I fully expect them to last until it becomes impossible to find batteries for them.

My dad switched from a mix of DeWalt and Milwaukee to all Ryobi because he retired and bought a tree farm and Ryobi is cheap enough that he can have something like 20 batteries and a bunch of chargers with tools cheap enough that it is not a tragedy when one gets left up in the woods or gets run over by the four-wheeler.

Different tools for different needs.

Having said that, my dewalt impact driver is probably my single most used tool to the point that I gave up using a corded screw gun while installing cement board and just went with it because it was better at the job then another tools specifically designed just for that.

Also, I far too often use the bottom of my driver's battery pack as a field expedient hammer, and have never had it complain about it. Not sure how a cheaper tool would stand up to that.

The boat shop that finished a 55' lobster boat I helped design and build used exclusively Ryobi. The tools last about 6 months before the fiberglass dust kills them. Can't argue with that. Chargers and batteries everywhere, so there's never a long walk to swap a pack.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

sharkytm posted:

The boat shop that finished a 55' lobster boat I helped design and build used exclusively Ryobi. The tools last about 6 months before the fiberglass dust kills them. Can't argue with that. Chargers and batteries everywhere, so there's never a long walk to swap a pack.

Yeah, an economist could probably develop a curve where more expensive tools make sense, and where cheaper ones make sense. I've heard more than one person talk about using Ryobi in hostile environments that are going to wreck tools anyway because they work fine for the most part.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I posted this recently in the other tool thread:

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's a bunch of contractors at my work at the moment, Dewalt tools out the kazoo, except for one guy with a full ryobi setup. I asked him why (and also if the 6 port charger and angle drill were any good). Apparently it's expected to lose tools all the time with Dewalt etc, but bring Ryobi and you get the piss taken but no one steals your tools. Made me laugh.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Selious posted:

Any recommendations on power washers? Looking for an electric model for general home use, Costco has a 1900psi Powerstroke for $150, amazon has a few random brands in that price range.

I picked up this Ryobi from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-700-PSI-1-2-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-RY14122/203800590

To date I haven't had any complaints and I've owned it for ~6 months. Used it for everything from cleaning driveway, wash car, strip stuff off boards etc... I was prepared to buy one of the more expensive gas models but the sales rep talked me out of it, told me to buy this one and just return it if it wasn't good enough.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

cakesmith handyman posted:

I posted this recently in the other tool thread:

Thats great. Yeah the only reason I'd go ryobi ever is if I expected to have them stolen/lost or if I was using them super casually

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Thats great. Yeah the only reason I'd go ryobi ever is if I expected to have them stolen/lost or if I was using them super casually

I was a contractor for 30 years. I bought them and sold my DeWalts because DeWalts batteries were poo poo and pricey, and never looked back. Makita for OCD quality tools, but there's not a thing wrong with Ryobi.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Can you guys recommend me a decent sliding compound miter saw? My 10+ year old craftsman is finally starting to show some age. I mostly do smaller projects so cutting 2x4s/2x6s, trim, base, etc.

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 19, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

Can you guys recommend me a decent sliding compound miter saw? My 10+ year old craftsman is finally starting to show some age. I mostly do smaller projects so cutting 2x4s/2x6s, trim, base, etc.

If you aren't cutting wide boards, you don't need the sliding aspect, so you might consider just getting a standard compound miter saw. I have this one and I almost never need to crosscut a board that's too wide for it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you aren't cutting wide boards, you don't need the sliding aspect, so you might consider just getting a standard compound miter saw. I have this one and I almost never need to crosscut a board that's too wide for it.

That might be true with a 12". I currently have a 10" so I use the slide fairly often it seems. Thanks.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was a contractor for 30 years. I bought them and sold my DeWalts because DeWalts batteries were poo poo and pricey, and never looked back. Makita for OCD quality tools, but there's not a thing wrong with Ryobi.

To each his own, I've worn out a ryobi grinder and impact driver doing not too heavy of work in under a year. I'm not crazy for dewalt but still put them above ryobi and prefer makita or bosch to both. I stand by that for casual homeowner work its 100% fine and anyone who is doing GC work can figure out what works for them

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

To each his own, I've worn out a ryobi grinder and impact driver doing not too heavy of work in under a year. I'm not crazy for dewalt but still put them above ryobi and prefer makita or bosch to both. I stand by that for casual homeowner work its 100% fine and anyone who is doing GC work can figure out what works for them

I never had either of their version of those tools or I might have a different opinion. Nowadays I am that casual homeowner. But, I did a fuckton of rotted out stud and plate replacement on my house with a Ryobi sawzall and it never balked. iirc, the 1st tool they imported was a 10" miter saw in the 90's and it was such a poorly built piece of poo poo, it put them on the back foot in the American market for years. So they've tried to compensate.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're all owned by the same damned company nowadays, so pick your color and output shaft bearing preference. Unless you want Makita or Bosch, but even Bosch is getting passed around a bit more nowadays.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

I never had either of their version of those tools or I might have a different opinion. Nowadays I am that casual homeowner. But, I did a fuckton of rotted out stud and plate replacement on my house with a Ryobi sawzall and it never balked. iirc, the 1st tool they imported was a 10" miter saw in the 90's and it was such a poorly built piece of poo poo, it put them on the back foot in the American market for years. So they've tried to compensate.

It might be time for me to give them another shot

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They're all owned by the same damned company nowadays, so pick your color and output shaft bearing preference. Unless you want Makita or Bosch, but even Bosch is getting passed around a bit more nowadays.

haha, true

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's the one I got, and it's well for me so far. Wish the guard was actually set up to take advantage of the blade size, but can't have everything.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

To be fair Ryobi green is terrible.

Also, I had an old SIP NiCd brad nailer and a broken Ryobi charger* so earlier this week I fabricobbled them together into this:

Which will get a bunch of epoxy one day because concept proven.

* The only Ryobi thing I've had go bad in 5 years and if I hadn't hosed it up taking the mosfet off the board I'd have repaired it instead.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJx0dqtDNfE

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

That green Makita was my first drill ... that thing lasted forever and the only reason I replaced it was because the batteries stopped charging.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

It really is an excellent deal. The trimmer is awesome; way better than I thought it would be. Unless you have a jungle to clear, it will handle basic trimming needs. Anything the reduces my 2-stroke hassles is worth it.

The blower is also great, though don't expect to use it to clear heavy, wet leaves for a large yard. When I had a townhouse, it worked great for dry leaves, but it won't do much for bigger leaves around my larger yard. As uwaeve said, it's super useful as a general blower for cleaning out the garage or blowing grass clippings, etc. I found a new use for it the other weekend for cleaning out my shop-vac filter. The ability to pick it up and quickly blow something off will have you inventing things to use it on.

Just got my dickbeaters on em today. Is it normal for the trimmer to have some significant motor cogging when you spin it by hand / while it's spinning down?

As long as that's normal, both of them seem loving awesome. Haven't put either through their paces yet, but I think the leaf blower will be perfect for my needs. No such thing as a "heavy wet leaf" here, think more like "chunky dust".

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it normal for the trimmer to have some significant motor cogging when you spin it by hand / while it's spinning down?

It does that on mine, for sure.

While I'm pimping Team Red's tools, the other two tools that I use practically daily are:

Cordless Wet/Dry Vac: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-2-Gal-Wet-Dry-Vacuum-Tool-Only-0880-20/202043806
Lantern light thingy: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-1300-Lumen-LED-Flood-Light-Tool-Only-2361-20/204606933

The vac is surprisingly powerful, given it runs on batteries, and is great for quick job/house cleanup or cleaning out the car. It makes you realize just how much of the frustration of using a small vacuum is juggling the cord.

The light, well, that's just obvious. You can never have enough light sources, and that fucker is bright as hell. The lower brightness setting is usually sufficient, and I fully believe that you can get 8+ hours out of a 5Ah battery. I've used it for the bulk of the day and never depleted a battery.

Both are amazing deals, but as always, buying batteries to power all these toys is where they bend you over a barrel.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

B-Nasty posted:

Both are amazing deals, but as always, buying batteries to power all these toys is where they bend you over a barrel.

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the knock off Milwaukee 18v batteries as reviewed by AvE also got the thumbs up from an electrician friend of mine.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

slothrop posted:

I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, but the knock off Milwaukee 18v batteries as reviewed by AvE also got the thumbs up from an electrician friend of mine.

The problem is that there's no quality control. One order might be good, the next complete junk. If the return policy is decent, they still might be worth a shot.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

sharkytm posted:

The problem is that there's no quality control. One order might be good, the next complete junk. If the return policy is decent, they still might be worth a shot.

Agreed.

Amazon has about 30 different 'brands' of these knockoffs, and with how their reviews are poisoned, I have no way of knowing if they're crap or not. It also seems like the prices, while cheaper than Milwaukee, aren't quite cheap enough for me to gamble on.

Milwaukee also warranties their packs for 3 years (the high caps are 5 years), which being maybe 30% more than the knockoffs, seems like cheap insurance. If the KOs use a crap cell, it may work great for a two dozen charges or so, then start to suck right after the ability to return it to Amazon is done.

slothrop, I'd take any specific KO model recommendations you have, though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I never trust any reviews anymore. I got this email out of the loving blue after buying some Annke products from amazon

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I never trust any reviews anymore. I got this email out of the loving blue after buying some Annke products from amazon

lol that's clever use of 'perhaps'

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh look at that, Annke doesn't have a subreddit. So, I made one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Oh look at that, Annke doesn't have a subreddit. So, I made one.

LOL, love it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I got a card in the box with a product laying out the same fraud.

I sent a photograph to Amazon’s relevant department. Amazon didn’t give me my $10 (no good deed goes unpunished) and the product is still for sale, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

B-Nasty posted:

Milwaukee also warranties their packs for 3 years (the high caps are 5 years), which being maybe 30% more than the knockoffs, seems like cheap insurance. If the KOs use a crap cell, it may work great for a two dozen charges or so, then start to suck right after the ability to return it to Amazon is done.

The manufacturer limited warranty on batteries is practically worthless, I believe.