Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I think Omi has it right; it's not the shard that was "confused to some degree".

My read on it is that the Wretch is Victoria, and Victoria is the part of the Wretch which has never stopped running from its other half. Victoria was mutated into and became the Wretch for two years, during which time she was also insane for Amy and also further traumatized by her family. Then, under duress, she was mutated into another body, this time into one resembling her body of two years prior...but equally not her: it was just uncanny enough to feel foreign.

I think Victoria's increasing effectiveness in working with the Wretch is just as much the Wretch learning to work more effectively with Victoria. The Wretch is who she is and feels like, and Victoria is who she's trying to become once again. The declining friction between them seem to reflect her slowly improving mental health's and perhaps some measure of acceptance of herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think Victoria's increasing effectiveness in working with the Wretch is just as much the Wretch learning to work more effectively with Victoria. The Wretch is who she is and feels like, and Victoria is who she's trying to become once again. The declining friction between them seem to reflect her slowly improving mental health's and perhaps some measure of acceptance of herself.

This may be way too on the nose, but I always assumed that the wretch was just a super-blunt symbol for her unresolved trauma. Despite the therapeutic tools she picked up at the asylum she's done a pretty crummy job of actually acknowledging and working through her issues, and I'm betting that structurally, the wretch will either poof around the act II or act III climax, or she'll come to terms with the fact that you never get rid of mental baggage entirely so much as you work through it, come to terms with the scars that remain, and move on. The former seems likelier to me, although a Victoria who'd resolved her issues would be a much less interesting narrator.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I don't think the wretch is going to poof just because from the perspective of Victoria's Shard, it's super brilliant and useful. But Wildbow said that parahumans influence their shards just as much as shards influence their parahuman(s), but if Victoria learns to accept the wretch that's not going to make it go away. My guess would be that maybe she could choose the shape of it more, though, so it's not just a reminder of her worst trauma?

Narratively, Victoria losing the ability to use the wretch in the middle of a big fight and getting stuck with the skintight invulnerability she had before would be interesting, I'm just not sure the circumstances that would lead to that given existing worldbuilding about shards and why powers don't really backslide on innovation.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The best part about the Wretch is that Victoria’s inner monologue has gone from calling it “my forcefield” to calling it “the wretch” and then now naming it “the Wretch” as she’s forced into using it (and confronting it) more and more.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, anthropomorphizing it was the worst way to go if she ever hoped to be rid of the thing. But I'm sure she'll end up at a place of grudging acceptance based on pure necessity. The Wretch is super useful and Wildbow loves him some Monkey's Paw power-ups.

Speaking of force fields, is it ever explained how Victoria was able to interact safely with Sveta back in the asylum? Since her FF needs to recharge, wouldn't it just buckle under the pressure if Sveta gabbed onto her?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 22, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It bugs me that Victoria can use her forcefield as superstrength without it just knocking out her forcefield any time she lifts stuff for more than one or two seconds, since lifting an object that weighs a ton should put at least as much force on it as stuff like "being hit by a baseball bat" that would knock it out for a second or two. And it's not that continuous force doesn't do that, since we know it does (even stuff that isn't force, like Crawler's acid). We know that her punching stuff knocks it out, but we've also seen her lift heavy things and it doesn't seem like she's under some time limit when she does so.

Regarding the wretch forcefield stuff, other people explained it correctly (also shards don't just randomly grab from other peoples' powers, like Sveta's, after someone has already triggered, with the sole potential exception of someone having a second trigger). My vague concept of its shape is something like "a blob with arms sticking out of it (and I guess a couple heads judging from the description)." I'm not sure how exactly big the blob is, though.

As a random comment, I had a lot of trouble visualizing the fight between Victoria and Nailbiter/Love Lost. Did Nailbiter just make her hand super long and big (and thin/hard) using her power and then move the tiny fingers around to try and hit/stab Victoria? Even then I'm having trouble imagining what that looked like and how they resembled "shadows" (as Victoria described them). The scene where Victoria is sort of caught between the fingers (or something) was particularly confusing. I guess it's like she was caught between a bunch of long/thin rusty metal bars? Was Love Lost moving the fingers because she could sense Victoria's position (and, uh, I guess somehow sense where the fingers were as well, though I'm not sure how an emotion power would do that?)? I guess they weren't in line of sight of Victoria at that time?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

It bugs me that Victoria can use her forcefield as superstrength without it just knocking out her forcefield any time she lifts stuff for more than one or two seconds, since lifting an object that weighs a ton should put at least as much force on it as stuff like "being hit by a baseball bat" that would knock it out for a second or two. And it's not that continuous force doesn't do that, since we know it does (even stuff that isn't force, like Crawler's acid). We know that her punching stuff knocks it out, but we've also seen her lift heavy things and it doesn't seem like she's under some time limit when she does so.
My take is that when she lifts stuff it's deliberate and expected strain, whereas when she's hit by an external force there's an unexpected and surprising variable, even if she sees the hit coming. Like how you can't tickle yourself because your body expects the sensation, but someone else can tickle you even if you know they're going to tickle you.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
crawlers acid specifically did not break her forcefield. he spit on her then threw a car at her which dropped it and then the spit hosed her up. also im pretty sure amy made her essentially invulnerable as the blob lady so thats how sveta could pal around with her

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Omi no Kami posted:

Not specific to today's Ward but, okay, you guys remember how in Worm they had containment foam, and it was the most useful substance in the universe that they should've been constantly using in every possible situation? I know there are probably reasons why it wouldn't work, but it seems like a really good way to take care of the Mathers clan would've been to have Dragon make some of those autonomous (non-sentient) AIs she used in Worm, stick 'em in robots, and have those robots roll through the fallen encampment foaming everything that moves.

I get really annoyed at comments like this because it isn't that hard to come up with reasons for these issues. They weren't brought up in story, but our view of events was from the side that wasn't in a position to know any of them.

For examples, the foam could have unpublished side effects (toxic/cancerous), limited supply, logistical problems (transport/storage/shelf life), requires special training to not gently caress something up, or limited usefulness against multiple spectrums of powers. That is just me spit-balling for a minute or two, and I could expand that a lot if I went from physical limitations to stuff like bureaucracy.

Just the last one should be enough for why "every possible situation" isn't that many situations. Master/stranger powers could quickly be turning the foam against the hero side eliminating all their grunts and some of the heroes, anyone with enough strength it is useless against and just makes the battlefield worse for your side, and a lot of powers probably just trump it. Even looking at team therapy the only people likely to be vulnerable to it are Rain and Kenzie, and since Kenzie'll be in the fight as a projection not even her.

Also wasn't containment foam was something really new from Dragon when we were introduced to it? The uses and how much it was around increased over the course of the story, just not immediately ubiquitous. I'm pretty sure Dragon also had to do maintenance on her inventions still, so you start running into limits of how often you could be using it from that end as well.

Before now no one not Fallen knew how Mama Mathers' power worked. All people knew was when they tried to check on them with observation powers those people got a nice trip to the crazy hospital and no useful info. People sent in to check probably just got mind fuckled by Mama or Valefor as well. We just saw what happens when Kenzie's camera gets an eyeful of Mama, why would Dragon's AI fair any better? That is the sort of thing that when they ask their pre-cog "what if we send in Dragon AIs with containment foam?" causes the response to go "gently caress don't do that", so even if we don't know why it is bad they know not to do it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

I get really annoyed at comments like this because it isn't that hard to come up with reasons for these issues. They weren't brought up in story, but our view of events was from the side that wasn't in a position to know any of them.
Yeah. Even just insufficient availability or reliable distribution of foam solvent would be a good enough reason, to say nothing of limited industrial capacity in general. So easy to think of ways in which confoam would just not be practical/available.

ZypherIM posted:

Also wasn't containment foam was something really new from Dragon when we were introduced to it? The uses and how much it was around increased over the course of the story, just not immediately ubiquitous. I'm pretty sure Dragon also had to do maintenance on her inventions still, so you start running into limits of how often you could be using it from that end as well.
Though Masamune was most likely involved as his thing was mass production, often preferring non-lethals, and was also in the Guild. Doesn't mean the stuff didn't expire. Also really easy to explain away (and there's evidence in text) as him focusing his resources on rebuilding (i.e. the internet). Doubly easy because there's a bigger conflict brewing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

crawlers acid specifically did not break her forcefield. he spit on her then threw a car at her which dropped it and then the spit hosed her up. also im pretty sure amy made her essentially invulnerable as the blob lady so thats how sveta could pal around with her

Ah, I completely forgot that, though I think it was explicitly mentioned elsewhere (either in the text or by "Word of God") that suspained force, like a jet of water or whatever, will end up knocking it out after a couple seconds (and cause it to stay down longer before it comes back up).

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I completely forgot that, though I think it was explicitly mentioned elsewhere (either in the text or by "Word of God") that suspained force, like a jet of water or whatever, will end up knocking it out after a couple seconds (and cause it to stay down longer before it comes back up).
Did her forcefield make the damage worse by trapping the acid or did it appear back under the acid after a few seconds? I mean it's a bit of a moot point since either way she was critically wounded, but the first sounds so much worse.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ZypherIM posted:

Oh I definitely agree that armchair strategizing often isn't going to be right, but I also think it's a causality of the setting- if an author creates an interesting world, makes his characters generally prone to thinking things through and using creative, involved strategies to solve their problems, rampant conjecture in interesting directions is almost inevitable.

At least for me, it's largely fueled by absurd amounts of frustration and fatigue with how the hollow point/fallen arc has been handled- they spent ages and ages (and ages, and ages) talking around the issue without doing anything, had all the time in the world to plan, and when they were finally ready to deal with things their solution was to fly around getting into increasingly violent and desperate fights for week after week without actually getting any closer to solving the problem.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh I definitely agree that armchair strategizing often isn't going to be right, but I also think it's a causality of the setting- if an author creates an interesting world, makes his characters generally prone to thinking things through and using creative, involved strategies to solve their problems, rampant conjecture in interesting directions is almost inevitable.

At least for me, it's largely fueled by absurd amounts of frustration and fatigue with how the hollow point/fallen arc has been handled- they spent ages and ages (and ages, and ages) talking around the issue without doing anything, had all the time in the world to plan, and when they were finally ready to deal with things their solution was to fly around getting into increasingly violent and desperate fights for week after week without actually getting any closer to solving the problem.
I honestly feel like the story has been moving at a pretty good pace update by update and that the big problem with the arc is that it drags when you're reading it as it updates. Which doesn't really help you! And I admit you and me have some different interests because I've realized I don't really mind big combat clusterfucks spanning multiple arcs as long as something interesting happens each update, including personal stuff that isn't that big of a deal in the moment but has implications once the combat has cooled off, like Bitch mentioning that Tattletale has a video of Chris in a tentacled form.

Like, idk, I just remember hitting the point you're at with previous Wildbow stuff during particularly drawn out Big Stuff, so I sympathize.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

ZypherIM posted:

I get really annoyed at comments like this because it isn't that hard to come up with reasons for these issues.

The onus isn't on the reader to conceive of reasons why things don't happen.

Comments like this are really strange to me. It's like proudly acknowledging a lack of understanding of basic writing precepts.

It's like having Superman forget he can fly to enable a very specific crisis and when you point it out people go :shrug: Maybe he can't fly on the 12th of October? :shrug:

:shrug: Maybe Dragon -- that super smart AI who can never harm a person -- invented a foam gun that gives people cancer :shrug:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

In less complain-y news I reread some of the earliest bits of Worm recently, and at the very beginning when Taylor is having fun fantasizing about all the nasty things her swarm could do to the bullies, she explicitly muses "They were just fantasies though, I didn't have any kind of killer instinct in me". I think some of my very favorite sections of the story on re-reading it are the earlier slice of life bits where you can explicitly see Taylor's pathology and watch her not be aware of her inner hyper-aggressive maniac.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Clipped out your snarky poo poo that I'm really not wanting to spend more than one sentence calling you on.

When a story gives you clues, examples, and doesn't hand-hold you through the explanation of why the thing didn't happen, that doesn't mean that it is failing at basic writing precepts.

The writer shouldn't have to go over every possible option and explain why things didn't happen. Instead he shows and tells the limitations of those options, and if the reader wants to know why an option wasn't used he can apply that knowledge. As long as the work remains internally consistent this works fine, and containment foam is a case of such.

I was pointing out that along with the explicit things you can see for why they wouldn't use it, there are plenty of potential reasons that we would lack the knowledge of based on the viewpoint the story is written from. Or that often these arguments are based on knowledge that we have that the side with the foam doesn't have.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

Comments like this are really strange to me. It's like proudly acknowledging a lack of understanding of basic writing precepts.

It's like having Superman forget he can fly to enable a very specific crisis and when you point it out people go :shrug: Maybe he can't fly on the 12th of October? :shrug:

:shrug: Maybe Dragon -- that super smart AI who can never harm a person -- invented a foam gun that gives people cancer :shrug:
It's not like that at all. Superman being able to fly is part of who Superman is. When he can't fly, the reason needs to be stated, like kryptonite.

Containment foam existing in the setting is an established fact. And then the world ended horribly and we've seen a ton of ways that messed up established facts, from something as trivial as most of the City not having power in the night so candles are a booming business to stuff as major as people getting radiation poisoning on a mass level. Containment foam not showing up in a situation where it would have previously been a major enough situation to warrant it isn't a plothole. Shockingly, the setting changed.

EDIT: So really it's more like what if Superman went out into space and ended up on a planet without a yellow sun but with a different sort of sun instead, so his powers radically changed. In this new setting, he has not been shown to fly, and a situation comes up where flight would instantly resolve the situation. Him failing to fly isn't 'maybe he can't fly on the 12th of October' but instead heavily implied to be the result of the changes in his environment. This is still true even if it is not outright stated.

In Ward, the amount of things that have changed availability or production is such a massive shift that assuming containment foam wasn't used because the author forgot about it is a bigger stretch than assuming it wasn't used because the characters don't have it or are rationing a supply. Not everything needs to be explicitly spelled out because that's boring to read. Sorry? :shrug:

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 23, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Goddamn, that new PracGuide :catstare: Cat is growing up some and she can project some goddamn menace!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

PetraCore posted:

In Ward, the amount of things that have changed availability or production is such a massive shift that assuming containment foam wasn't used because the author forgot about it is a bigger stretch than assuming it wasn't used because the characters don't have it or are rationing a supply. Not everything needs to be explicitly spelled out because that's boring to read. Sorry? :shrug:

Yeah this is a post-apocalyptic world in which things like lovely packaged lollies or w/e those were are rare and sought after as old world luxuries. Of the several complaints I've had lately (and 6 has been way better so far), not having access to high-tech non-lethal weaponry that needs like multiple stages of production and distribution is really not one of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It amuses me how utterly garbage some peoples' powers are. This Etna person's power is literally less useful than "a person with a gun" (or maybe one of those foam things). Throwing blobs of glass is certainly really dangerous, but it's basically like a gun that you can dodge. Same goes for someone like Fume Hood, who is also in the category of "capes with less offensive power than a person with a gun, and no other capabilities to make up for that lack of offense" (since many other capes have less offensive powers than an armed regular person, but still have some unique aspect that makes them useful).

One thing I find kind of strange is how apparently parahumans are having trouble finding work. It seems like, if you're not totally set on being a hero (like Victoria apparently is), it would be super easy to make money with most parahuman abilities, particularly in this post-apocalypse world where the social expectation that parahumans should be heroes doesn't exist. Like, take Crystal/Laserdream for example; there's all sorts of useful money-making poo poo you could do with flight alone, much less the ability to shoot out controlled lasers or create forcefields. Even the shittiest tinker could easily find work; Rain could have well-off amputees pay him to create and maintain their limbs, for example. That Etna person I mentioned above could just sit there making GBS threads out glass, I guess (that might not be so profitable, I suppose - god drat she has a lovely power).

PetraCore posted:

I honestly feel like the story has been moving at a pretty good pace update by update and that the big problem with the arc is that it drags when you're reading it as it updates.

I've been reading things straight-through and the pacing has seemed fine from that perspective. If anything, things moved a lot faster than I was expecting; from the way people described it, it sounded like I was in for some really long drawn-out focus on the Fallen and Rain, but those chapters end up passing pretty fast and feel like a pretty normal amount of background to give.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Materials created by parahuman powers are often flawed, and flawed often enough that people learned to be suspicious of materials that don't immediately appear flawed.

Tinker stuff has to be heavily maintained by the tinker in question (with the exception of Dragon, who isn't really a tinker and can work around the flaws in tinker designs, and Masamaune, the only mass production tinker that is known of). On top of that tinker tech that fails can fail catastrophically.

Parahumans who make use of their powers for non-conflict driven purposes get punished and/or sabotaged in a variety of ways by their shards.

To top this all off, Parahumans aren't the most mentally stable of people.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Dragon is a tinker, though? Not sure where you got the idea that she wasn't.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

NecroMonster posted:

Materials created by parahuman powers are often flawed, and flawed often enough that people learned to be suspicious of materials that don't immediately appear flawed.

Tinker stuff has to be heavily maintained by the tinker in question (with the exception of Dragon, who isn't really a tinker and can work around the flaws in tinker designs, and Masamaune, the only mass production tinker that is known of). On top of that tinker tech that fails can fail catastrophically.

Parahumans who make use of their powers for non-conflict driven purposes get punished and/or sabotaged in a variety of ways by their shards.

That stuff is true as trends but not necessarily true in individual cases. Still, it's enough that I think even parahumans themselves are fairly wary about pushing their powers too hard in that direction.

Like, there's reasons tinker stuff can't be mass produced safely unless you're Masamaune, but parahumans can totally make use of their powers for non-conflict driven purposes, they've just got to balance that out, was my impression. But it's a 'game' nobody knows the exact rules of, and I think that's the real catch? Non-parahumans overwhelmingly don't even know the details we know, they just know that stuff goes wrong and also that the world ended and parahumans are not telling anyone how Scion was stopped. Broken triggers add to the paranoia... the fact that Scion is seen by most people as a parahuman himself massively adds to it, and the fact that the information counteracting that is part of the information kept hidden means parahumans can't even argue against that. The amnesty means heroes are seen as 'tainting' themselves by association with villains and villains are 'getting away' with something. So like... I agree with you but it's even more complicated than that in that it's about 1/3rd legitimate worry about the stability of superpowers, 1/3rd fear because a 'parahuman' ended the world and every other parahuman in existance failed to stop him before things got so bad, and 1/3rd the dark, creeping worry about what exactly are they not telling us?

It's enough that I'm pretty sure case 53s are getting the worst of it as in most circumstances, because everyone else can at least try to have an identity where they aren't a parahuman but 53s very visibly are. And ironically they're the ones with the most stable powers and no active shards pushing or pulling at them, while also not having the problem other cauldron capes have of 'if other parahumans knew I bought my superpowers and profited off the mass suffering of other people they're going to loving hate me' bc even the 53s who bought their vials have kind of, uh, 'paid' for it in other ways.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Dragon is a tinker, though? Not sure where you got the idea that she wasn't.

she's more technically a thinker, her thinker stuff lets her do tinker stuff, but dragon doesn't have a connection to a shard.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

she's more technically a thinker, her thinker stuff lets her do tinker stuff, but dragon doesn't have a connection to a shard.

She actually does have a connection to a shard! When Armsmaster was up in the guts of her code, he noted that she'd had a trigger event and everything, making her a non-human parahuman. If she's had a trigger event, then that means she's got a connection with a shard. She's more than just the product of Andrew Richter's power.

Though your point about her power straddling the line between tinker and thinker is a very good one and not one I'd considered before.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wildbow has mentioned it a few times. Basically, Dragon is a thinker whose power is figuring out and assimilating tinker tech.

Per reddit,

quote:

I can say that Dragon is not a tinker at the core level and that you can look at the date the Birdcage was created and the date she was made and that it's fairly obvious she co-opted the technology at one point. The facts don't add up otherwise. A lot of the components and technology she utilizes mirror those of tinkers we're familiar with, and that it makes sense that she'd maneuver to be in a position where she'd have access to records and analysis of tinker work as a tertiary member of the PRT and its databases. I can say that it matches up with the trend that people who trigger in circumstances where powered individuals are present or involved get powers that often relate to powers; trump powers (see Grue). Dragon is a thinker who co-opts and draws inspiration from other tinkers' work.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Falstaff posted:

She actually does have a connection to a shard! When Armsmaster was up in the guts of her code, he noted that she'd had a trigger event and everything, making her a non-human parahuman. If she's had a trigger event, then that means she's got a connection with a shard. She's more than just the product of Andrew Richter's power.

Though your point about her power straddling the line between tinker and thinker is a very good one and not one I'd considered before.

Observing the effects of a traumatic event on her code isn't the same as evidence of a trigger event, and you need to remember that everything the tinkers do is a application of advanced knowledge, but that knowledge is provided by the shard, rather than formally learned knowledge. Everything the tinkers do could be done by a significantly advanced or knowledgeable intellect.

But, to be extremely fair, Wildbow has never said one way or another if Dragon has a connection to a shard. I'm sure he's been asked, and he's had many any chances to clarify it, but he's never said anything either way.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

NecroMonster posted:

Observing the effects of a traumatic event on her code isn't the same as evidence of a trigger event, and you need to remember that everything the tinkers do is a application of advanced knowledge, but that knowledge is provided by the shard, rather than formally learned knowledge. Everything the tinkers do could be done by a significantly advanced or knowledgeable intellect.

But, to be extremely fair, Wildbow has never said one way or another if Dragon has a connection to a shard. I'm sure he's been asked, and he's had many any chances to clarify it, but he's never said anything either way.
Eh, it's not just a traumatic event but the way her code improved and streamlined after. It's hard to say what's normal given she's the first of her kind, but it's much more likely she had a trigger event than that trauma magically improved her code.

The main question is where a shard anchors if not in a physical brain, but given that the very first Cycle took place using plants as hosts, presumably the entities are capable of anchoring to almost any life form.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2018

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

Cockroaches 28.2 goes into the details of Dragon's trigger event, and Tattletale suggests that the specific circumstances are related to Saint's continued fuckery of her. It's given an in-text date and everything. I mean, if you wanna pretend that the text doesn't say that she's had a trigger event and want to handwave it away as something else, then that's your right, but it seems to me it's an interpretation that goes directly against the text.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

And I don't think that's true re: tinkers, because the shards don't just provide the knowledge, they provide massive streamlined auxillary 'brains' to process the information. It's not purely about knowledge or advancement, it's about physical processing power, and Dragon is amazing and advanced but also trigger when she's still essentially crippled by her creator's starting locks. She's still got much more processing power than a human, but she doesn't have enough to justify the stuff she does before Colin figures out how to unlock her, imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

The mental instability and desire for conflict is the biggest issue probably, but regarding tinkers that's why I said they could be paid to maintain things themselves, as a subscription sort of thing (and we know they can do that, since Victoria's dead boyfriend had a power suit that was maintained by Kid Win). Rain's stuff is pretty straight-forward, and I'm sure people would pay to wear his arms and have him come by once every few days or whatever to maintain them. And he's a particularly useless tinker; someone like Kenzie can use her tech herself to do services for people.

But anyways, Etna's power is seriously poo poo, I mean holy crap that's a garbage power (assuming it actually only does what's described; it would be different if she could produce a bunch of molten glass and shape it or something). Most characters in this series have powers that, while sometimes generally inferior to other powers, still have their own niche or unique aspects. Like, Moose would be an inferior brute to Alexandria, for example, but his shockwave thing still gives him some unique element. But Etna is flat-out worse in every way than a person with a gun, and her power has no use other than killing/hurting people. Fume Hood's power is similarly bad, but at least it normally doesn't kill people (and IIRC she can control the movement of her orb things, which gives a little bit of versatility).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Everything we've seen is that tinkers have a drive to tinker, spending a bunch of time maintaining poo poo is time you're not tinkering. I'm not even driven by a shard and if I could make laser guns I'd rather make a new laser gun instead of doing maintenance on other people's laser guns.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ZypherIM posted:

Everything we've seen is that tinkers have a drive to tinker, spending a bunch of time maintaining poo poo is time you're not tinkering. I'm not even driven by a shard and if I could make laser guns I'd rather make a new laser gun instead of doing maintenance on other people's laser guns.

And if you do choose to spend your time maintaining other peoples laser guns you get bonus crippling headaches all the time at best.

Rain's tinker stuff probably isn't sturdy enough to deal with the wear and tear of someone just living their life (for every long) either.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
The Wandering Inn: So that happened.

Frankly I do not know if I would prefer the death to stick or not to stick. Like would it cheapen the sacrifice, on the other hand one of the most powerful mages in the world is right there...

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gladi posted:

The Wandering Inn: So that happened.

Frankly I do not know if I would prefer the death to stick or not to stick. Like would it cheapen the sacrifice, on the other hand one of the most powerful mages in the world is right there...

Yeah TWI: Infinity War has been on fuckin fire the last few weeks. But I don't think it'll stick; otherwise the "run like the wind" arc will have gone nowhere. I was expecting that she would in the last seconds, be able to run like the wind, in order to reach Teriarch before Venitra caught her, which would have given her sufficient closure. But as it stands there are a number of Ryoka subplots left semi-open; her investigation into the leveling system, her attempts to learn magic, her attempts to run fast, her being the only link between Erin and Laken, as well as the only source of information about inventing things, and I guess also her being the only possible trainer for Garia.

If she comes back, I'm not sure if I'd consider her as being plot armored as she has taken a lot of punishment, both physical and social. Simply being alive isn't a great criteria for plot armor, I think.

Also RIP tsundere fairy, that one I think will stick :(

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

TWI is pretty great atm. I think there is potential for a new faerie instead. Maybe reincarnation instead of resurrection. Also reasonable to offer insight into a new vector of magic as an outcome of the high passes passing. Lots of interesting options.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Cliffhangers for days.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
ward 6.4
so instead of Victoria needing to see amy because of her own injuries shes going to see Amy because of rains

jsoh fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another general comment I have is that I actually like Rain quite a bit. I'm not sure where the "Rain is selfish" stuff earlier came from; if anything it's pretty remarkable he can focus on the well-being of others at all under his circumstances. I'm assuming that the reason Cradle/Snag want to kill him so much is largely due to Kiss/Kill weirdness, since Love Lost is the only one who has a particularly good reason to be so set on killing the guy (from what we've seen, the other two didn't lose people really close to them. While what Rain did is super terrible, it's also not super difficult to sympathize with given his circumstances, particular given he was a teenager (and they aren't as focused on the other Fallen who actually started the fire and poo poo).

My guess for the "problematic" element mentioned by Yamada/Victoria is kinda torn between Chris (the most obvious choice who we know the least about) and Sveta or Tristan. I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop with Sveta, since she's the only one so far without any obvious big issues (and I get the impression she's particularly vulnerable to flipping out if she feels betrayed, even moreso than Victoria). With Tristan, we know his issues but haven't directly seen them manifest much yet (and his issues are of a nature where he's be able to disguise them really well).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 24, 2018