Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Half switched outlets are a normal thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They meet a lighting requirement for a room without needing a ceiling fixture. Usually it’s the bottom outlet I think, so you can use the top one easier. Lands somewhere between nice and annoying, I like lamp lighting better but don’t like being locked into that location, and it sucks when someone turns it off at the fixture.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Planet Money did an episode on quick questions and a great one was why do hotels not just have the one central light on a switch like a regular bedroom. I forgot how much they suck and they found two reasons: the central overhead light is harsh from a lighting design perspective and makes the room look bad, and you have to learn the room regardless so any kind of lighting is a challenge to you, compared to your house which also might be bad but you are trained on it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Planet Money did an episode on quick questions and a great one was why do hotels not just have the one central light on a switch like a regular bedroom. I forgot how much they suck and they found two reasons: the central overhead light is harsh from a lighting design perspective and makes the room look bad, and you have to learn the room regardless so any kind of lighting is a challenge to you, compared to your house which also might be bad but you are trained on it.

It's probably also much cheaper and easier to not have any infrastructure in the ceiling as the slab floors get poured in a high rise.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Qwijib0 posted:

It's probably also much cheaper and easier to not have any infrastructure in the ceiling as the slab floors get poured in a high rise.

I agree but not for that reason, the ceilings are still framed and dry walled, so it’s just regular roughin. Still less conduit and wire though. The majority of hotels aren’t high rises either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You can't have a half switch, a half switch is still a switch!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I always thought it was to encourage people to use a few lights as possible to save pennies on the electric bill, finding all the switches to turn on every light takes effort. Similarly, if you don't turn on every light it can help hide the stains. I never knew they were doing it to because the room was so we'll planned out it would have perfect lighting that's not too harsh from multiple sources.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 24, 2018

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

The deck on the south side of my house was sagging so we decided to demo and replace it. I think I figured out why it was sagging:

As far as I can tell, the whole thing was resting on cinder blocks as well. I need to do a little digging, but I don't think there is any poured concrete to be found. The "joist" in the middle wasn't secured to the post at one end, just resting on it. Fortunately, the ledger seems like its in good shape, somehow.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I always thought it was to encourage people to use a few lights as possible to save pennies on the electric bill, finding all the switches to turn on every light takes effort.
The flaw in this logic is that it works the opposite way around too.

If the light's inconvenient enough to get to but still necessary to usefully light the room I'm just going to turn it on in the morning and leave it on until I'm going to sleep.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

The flaw in this logic is that it works the opposite way around too.

If the light's inconvenient enough to get to but still necessary to usefully light the room I'm just going to turn it on in the morning and leave it on until I'm going to sleep.

That's why most hotels (in the UK?) require you to put the door card into a slot to power the lights.

Or your spare door card. Or a business card. Or anything really.

But you get the point.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

That's why most hotels (in the UK?) require you to put the door card into a slot to power the lights.

Or your spare door card. Or a business card. Or anything really.

But you get the point.

It's very uncommon in the US, but my (small amount of) travel abroad tells me that the whole world does it except for America. I like that solution, because if you are civilized and think to turn off the lights before you leave a room, it makes it pretty tough to walk out the door without your key!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

extravadanza posted:

It's very uncommon in the US, but my (small amount of) travel abroad tells me that the whole world does it except for America. I like that solution, because if you are civilized and think to turn off the lights before you leave a room, it makes it pretty tough to walk out the door without your key!

Americans don't give a gently caress, have you seen the size of the trucks some people use to just get back and forth to their office job and haul mulch once a year?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

extravadanza posted:

It's annoying though when this setup applies to all circuits in the room and not just the lights, say if I want to leave something charging while I'm gone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arrath posted:

It's annoying though when this setup applies to all circuits in the room and not just the lights, say if I want to leave something charging while I'm gone.

Get an extra key-card and leave it in, that's what I do since I don't want the A/C to shut off while I'm wandering around all day and then come back to a hot stuffy room.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Locator posted:

Get an extra key-card and leave it in, that's what I do since I don't want the A/C to shut off while I'm wandering around all day and then come back to a hot stuffy room.

Yeah, this is what I usually resort to. Then half the time the housekeepers pull it out as they leave the room :argh:

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Americans don't give a gently caress, have you seen the size of the trucks some people use to just get back and forth to their office job and haul mulch once a year?

I live in Indiana and work at a factory, so yep. I can plant my small sedan in some trucks shadows during the summer to keep my car cool.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Since company bonuses came out last month I am seeing a rash of brand new big-rear end trucks at work. Lots of shiny chrome. I call them Fisher Price War Boys.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Arrath posted:

Yeah, this is what I usually resort to. Then half the time the housekeepers pull it out as they leave the room :argh:

I leave a very specific note on top of the tip for housekeeping that includes not removing the card key so the A/C stays on (and leaving extra towels). I leave a nice tip, so 99% of the time my wishes come true!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

The Locator posted:

In some devices you can just leave any card you want in it (slip it behind the door card and then pull the door card out over it), in some you can just use any RFID card you like in instead of a room card - so over in the UK that means any bank card, an oyster/transport card or that RFID card that lets you in the door at work or that you accidentally stole from another hotel.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
You know the little card wallet that they give you the room key in?

fold that in half and stick it in the slot and it will work.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Arrath posted:

You can actually stick any credit card-sized card in that slot and the lights will work.

E,f,b

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

drgitlin posted:

You can actually stick any credit card-sized card in that slot and the lights will work.

E,f,b

In a resort in Thailand the cleaners left a tea spoon in it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not exactly some jet setter but I've done quite a bit of travelling and never seen anything like this hotel-card-for-power thing. That sounds really annoying.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not exactly some jet setter but I've done quite a bit of travelling and never seen anything like this hotel-card-for-power thing. That sounds really annoying.

I could deal with it on the lights. Having it on the AC is goddamn obnoxious. Just limit the thermostat, you cheap assoles.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's in newer hotels for energy efficiency

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

It depends. Back in 2006 I had to go do a info sec security audit at a bank in Italy we were acquiring. Spent about three weeks out there until we’d let them link into our network. When I was in Pandora, I stayed at a Hilton (or Hyatt. One of the “H” international chains) and got what I would consider a Normal Hotel Room + Bonus Bidet. When I had to go down to Rome for a few days to check out a data center, I stayed at what I imagine most Americans would consider a “European Inn”. Tiny, tiny room. Cramped bathroom. The key (yes it used a traditional key) was attached to a metal plate you had to slide into a socket that completed the electrical circuit. Oh, and you had to turn in the key whenever you left and got it when you came back.

Still a fantastic place. Especially the late afternoon wine and mozzarella and tomato slices in the common room. (Got a big business culture shock when I was there)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Iron Crowned posted:

Yet thousands of those trucks barely keep up with a single container ship burning bunker oil to haul cheap plastic poo poo across the Pacific for yearly pollution.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The big trucks usually cost less than the small(er) trucks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yet thousands of those trucks barely keep up with a single container ship burning bunker oil to haul cheap plastic poo poo across the Pacific for yearly pollution.

As dirty as those ships are, in terms of CO2/kg/km travelled it’s still actually quite efficient, and global shipping contributes less carbon than road transport or aviation (I looked at those numbers last week.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drgitlin posted:

As dirty as those ships are, in terms of CO2/kg/km travelled it’s still actually quite efficient, and global shipping contributes less carbon than road transport or aviation (I looked at those numbers last week.)

One large ship is worse than literal myriads of trucks in sulphur dioxide emissions.

That’s the kernel of truth at the heart of the bullshit statistic.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I could deal with it on the lights. Having it on the AC is goddamn obnoxious. Just limit the thermostat, you cheap assoles.
I am used to hotels using some sort of occupancy sensor to turn off the AC when you are gone, that sucks because you end up coming back to a hot room. Besides just the annoyance, I have doubts about the effeciency only because (this is really scientific) my Mom told me that turning off the AC in the middle of the day on a house wastes more energy because it takes more energy to cool it back down than to keep it at one temperature throughout the day. I am pretty sure it's more efficient to say raise the temp a fee degrees when you're gone, but not to just turn the thing completely off and let the room get up to 90 degrees.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am used to hotels using some sort of occupancy sensor to turn off the AC when you are gone, that sucks because you end up coming back to a hot room. Besides just the annoyance, I have doubts about the effeciency only because (this is really scientific) my Mom told me that turning off the AC in the middle of the day on a house wastes more energy because it takes more energy to cool it back down than to keep it at one temperature throughout the day. I am pretty sure it's more efficient to say raise the temp a fee degrees when you're gone, but not to just turn the thing completely off and let the room get up to 90 degrees.

This is fairly true. In addition, it'll put a TON of strain on the HVAC system since people will tend to come back to their rooms at the same time.

The idiots who owned my house before me put their electric hot water heater on a switch in the kitchen, presumably to save on power. So stupid.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

Your mom's wrong. It's more efficient to turn it off completely. The bigger the difference between the temperature inside and outside, the more energy loss. Turning it off completely will use less energy and *bonus* cause less strain on your AC unit.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

extravadanza posted:

Your mom's wrong. It's more efficient to turn it off completely. The bigger the difference between the temperature inside and outside, the more energy loss. Turning it off completely will use less energy and *bonus* cause less strain on your AC unit.

Indeed. Provided there are no other factors like freezing pipes / pets dying, and provided there is enough capacity to run continuously when you need it, the energy used should be way less, whether heating or cooling.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Proteus Jones posted:

a metal plate you had to slide into a socket that completed the electrical circuit

That sounds... unsafe, unless it's done in a way better way than I am imagining. :stare:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wooger posted:

Indeed. Provided there are no other factors like freezing pipes / pets dying, and provided there is enough capacity to run continuously when you need it, the energy used should be way less, whether heating or cooling.

Heating is where this gets tricky. If you have a heat pump with electric loading coils and turn it down/off and the temperature falls more than 7-10 degrees (depends on thermostat) it will use the electric loading coils ("emergency heat") to get back up to temperature more quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mycomancy posted:

The idiots who owned my house before me put their electric hot water heater on a switch in the kitchen, presumably to save on power. So stupid.

Have fun with your legionnaire's disease!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

FogHelmut posted:

The big trucks usually cost less than the small(er) trucks.

Or at the very least, not significantly more. Both the Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma, for example, don't cost a lot less than the full-size equivalent. And you can get the V8 in the big 'un.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Or at the very least, not significantly more. Both the Chevy Colorado and the Toyota Tacoma, for example, don't cost a lot less than the full-size equivalent. And you can get the V8 in the big 'un.

I have a dream that the reintroduction of the Ford Ranger next year will start a medium truck price war, but lmao no way, they're going to charge just as much as everyone else and nothing will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Goons: "Americans are super wasteful, have you seen the size of their trucks?"

Also goons: *leave the a/c running all day while they're out so they won't be mildly uncomfortable for 5 minutes when they get back*