Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There’s little or nothing evocative of the cops/feds.

As the title implies, the family’s isolation is largely self-imposed: they’ve sequestered themselves in a quiet place because the outside world is ‘simply too much for them’.

(The Shyamalan film this most resembles, after Signs, is The Village.)

This is where we get into the ideological critique of the film. Remember, the imagery at the end is that the overbearing/abusive father sheds his humanity, transforms into the monster, and is then eliminated. This is why the characters are suddenly quite happy shortly after dad got murked.

Quiet Place is a basic therapeutic narrative where the characters overcome their trauma - eliminating their demons, returning to normalcy, etc. And, as K.Waste noted earlier, this is also specifically presented as an Aliens-style conflict between the female characters and Patriarchy. The film is ideologically liberal.

And there is nothing anticapitalist in its logic. Quite the opposite: the financial apocalypse stems from the father’s personal failings. They’re trapped in poverty because of his oversensitivity, his inability to survive in the real world. He couldn’t overcome his issues, couldn’t provide for his family, and the remaining characters can thrive now that they’re free of his influence.

he drops the axe though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dan Didio posted:

Grappling with the 'sensibleness' of the scenario or arguing that the movie should spend time considering minutiae that doesn't have any impact on the reality of the family's world is misunderstanding the core themes of the movie.

I dunno, I think you kind of touched on the problem with your reasoning: it doesn't have any impact on the reality of the family's world. The core of the movie works fine whether it's months into the apocalypse or days, and whether they're scared of a couple bat-things or a horde. Changing it just removes that little "wait, huh?" feeling a lot of people are getting and, if anything, makes it easier to focus on what the movie actually cares about. :shrug:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Making the monsters so sudden yet rule-based but otherwise completely invisible lends just as well to a story about fibromyalgia.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Max22 posted:

he drops the axe though

Right; the metaphor is that dad is split between his human side and his monstrous side. The human side surrenders to the monster.

Jim, the human, is characterized throughout as a standup guy - “it’s not dad’s fault; it’s just that his demons are making him do things.” This is how the film, even up to the end, reconciles Jim’s final declaration of love for his family with the whole prior runtime of everyone walking on eggshells around him, living under a vague spectre of violence that culminates in the threat of axe-murder.

Put it in the Parker Bros. Cinematic Universe: Don’t Wake Daddy.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
A Shining Place

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Right; the metaphor is that dad is split between his human side and his monstrous side. The human side surrenders to the monster.

Jim, the human, is characterized throughout as a standup guy - “it’s not dad’s fault; it’s just that his demons are making him do things.” This is how the film, even up to the end, reconciles Jim’s final declaration of love for his family with the whole prior runtime of everyone walking on eggshells around him, living under a vague spectre of violence that culminates in the threat of axe-murder.

Put it in the Parker Bros. Cinematic Universe: Don’t Wake Daddy.

The movie opens with a monster erupting at the sound of a child's toy, a toy that Daddy took away because it was too loud.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Unoriginal Name posted:

The movie opens with a monster erupting at the sound of a child's toy, a toy that Daddy took away because it was too loud.

Exactly: as mentioned earlier, the opening scene is Rachel’s dream in which her memory of the past is coloured by her present conditions.

If we were to see the scene ‘objectively’, it would just be a kid at the drugstore pestering his dad for a new toy. But minor events like Jim being annoyed by his loud kid are now, retroactively, loaded with import.

Why does the brother in the memory talk of escaping? Of course, in the logic of the dream, he’s talking about ‘demons’. But we know by the end that he’s conspiring with his sister to escape this home.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

This was made with Michael Bay’s money, if there’s a hidden subtext it probably isn’t “the patriarch protecting his good American nuclear family from foreign invaders is secretly evil”

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Max22 posted:

This was made with Michael Bay’s money, if there’s a hidden subtext it probably isn’t “the patriarch protecting his good American nuclear family from foreign invaders is secretly evil”

No, that's absolutely consistent with Michael Bay's filmography.

edit:

"Protect my family, or I'll kill you..."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Max22 posted:

That’s a very obvious misreading of both the film and these posts. The father is not ‘secretly evil’ but merely bad in a banal way. And there is no invasion in the film.

The creatures don’t come from anywhere; they simply are there. They have no motivation. They‘ve allegedly spent nearly two years leaping through cornfields nonstop. They don’t eat, don’t reproduce, and can’t die. They never evolved.

This is not a science fiction movie. It’s a fantasy movie. And the question with any fantasy movie is whose fantasy we’re talking about.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
They came from Mexico.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 20, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The issue is that the film does not establish the actually-important rules, like that the hypersensitivity of the angels is ‘just’ a metaphor for the father’s rage issues - e.g. the jump-scare when he forcibly grabs the daughter when she tries to tiptoe into his man-cave. Why is she forbidden to enter? The only explanation is that he cherishes his computers more than anything else; they provide him an escape and without them he would just give up. The list of crossed-off radio frequencies is a countdown to when he loses it completely.

One of the main images of the film is of the son begging for forgiveness after a minor infraction. There’s a logic of “I can’t play too loud because even the tiniest noise pains my father.” And of course that means consequences for him as well.

(The monsters act blindly and put up an armoured shell, but they’re really weak on the inside, get it?)

The ending makes no sense at all unless you’re following the metaphor of how the father picks up an axe and allows his demons to overtake him, and then his wife has to shoot this killer in the face.

There's definite shades of Jack Torrance in Krasinski's role.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The issue is that the film does not establish the actually-important rules, like that the hypersensitivity of the angels is ‘just’ a metaphor for the father’s rage issues - e.g. the jump-scare when he forcibly grabs the daughter when she tries to tiptoe into his man-cave. Why is she forbidden to enter? The only explanation is that he cherishes his computers more than anything else; they provide him an escape and without them he would just give up. The list of crossed-off radio frequencies is a countdown to when he loses it completely.

One of the main images of the film is of the son begging for forgiveness after a minor infraction. There’s a logic of “I can’t play too loud because even the tiniest noise pains my father.” And of course that means consequences for him as well.

(The monsters act blindly and put up an armoured shell, but they’re really weak on the inside, get it?)

The ending makes no sense at all unless you’re following the metaphor of how the father picks up an axe and allows his demons to overtake him, and then his wife has to shoot this killer in the face.

this is the good poo poo.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I was pretty surprised by how dull and generic this was.

Despite the good premise, nothing surprising or unpredictable happened in the film, the creature design was dull, and it was overlit and not at all scary.

Continually throughout, all I could think about was how much better It Comes at Night was.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kin posted:

Well, loud sounds are still a weakness in that they can't detect anything quieter like, say people in an upstairs flat behind double glazed windows while there's a load of cars and music blaring about outside.

If this film wasn't set in bumpkinruralsville the entire premise would have fallen apart because all you'd do is have sound systems blasting out music (or gently caress it, the sounds of waterfalls) 24/7.

It would only have taken few tweaks to make it less plotholey.

1) Reduce the number of days that have passed
2) Get rid of the newspaper 'plot for dummies' prop
3) Change the writing on his board from 'i think there's 3' to 'i think there's 30'
4) Get rid of the waterfall scene

That would have made it seem like whatever these creatures are, there are loads of them and they hit hard and fast; that there's no clear weakness and that things have happened so quickly, humanity didn't even get the chance to spot any potential frequency based weakness.

or just make it a localized issue (like tremors). that was my assumption from the trailers - that some town/area in a more remote area like vermont or something had been overrun with these things and they can't get any info out because they can't make noise.

any military would've wiped the floor with these things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There’s little or nothing evocative of the cops/feds.

Nobody mentioned the cops. This sort of family doesn't find a quiet place away from the city because they're afraid of the police.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought this movie got a little frustrating when it turned into a "What minor mechanical malfunction will lead into the next tense sequence!!" conga line near the end. First the nail, okay. Then...somehow water starts pouring into the basement from somewhere (seriously, where was it coming from, and why? I didn't grock this at all) which floods it. Then a kid falls through a corn silo because the roof just loving breaks. At this point I was waiting for the house to flat-out explode into a mushroom cloud because someone grazed something wrong with an elbow! If your entire property was this gigantic minefield of booby traps just waiting to gently caress you up in a thousand different ways, it's a wonder that the family was able to survive for as long as they did!

But um anyway I did enjoy the film a lot. Super glad that kid died at the beginning!

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

This was a better Venom movie than Venom will probably be.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
If I was as clever with mechanical set-ups as the father was, I would leave dozens upon dozens of timed devices that squeeze those screaming chicken toys, all around town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pNm62h9Dlg

Monster confused by screaming chicken? BAM, hit 'em with another screaming chicken.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BrianWilly posted:

(seriously, where was it coming from, and why? I didn't grock this at all)

Monster smashed up the house and broke the sink pipes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I just saw this tonight with a bunch of friends and we all really enjoyed it. We're all big nerds so we had our own quibbles but at the end of the day we agreed it was still worth it.

My biggest issue also had to do with the timeline given: how the gently caress did these people survive winter?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aces High posted:

I just saw this tonight with a bunch of friends and we all really enjoyed it. We're all big nerds so we had our own quibbles but at the end of the day we agreed it was still worth it.

My biggest issue also had to do with the timeline given: how the gently caress did these people survive winter?

Winter as we know it will cease to exist by 2021

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Wouldn't corn be one of the noisiest things you could possibly harvest?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

like a cigarette should posted:

I'm trying to think of what you could plant, grow and harvest in near silence.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm trying to think of what you could plant, grow and harvest in near silence.

Anything if you wanna grow one plant. At scale to feed a family? Nothin

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even an apple falling off a tree and hitting the ground is loud enough to scare the poo poo out of someone who isn't used to it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even an apple falling off a tree and hitting the ground is loud enough to scare the poo poo out of someone who isn't used to it.

This is important to stress that the film does not depict 500 days of apocalypse; the entire thing takes place over the course of the two days following a dream. So the answer to the question of how they silently harvested food is that they didn’t.

It shows that the film isn’t conducive to being read as science fiction; it’s easy to imagine a true science-fiction film about noise pollution - fictionalized, in an inverted sort of way, as a silence pollution. Why not creatures that block or cancel out sound waves, generating a literal aura of silence?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This is important to stress that the film does not depict 500 days of apocalypse; the entire thing takes place over the course of the two days following a dream. So the answer to the question of how they silently harvested food is that they didn’t.

It shows that the film isn’t conducive to being read as science fiction; it’s easy to imagine a true science-fiction film about noise pollution - fictionalized, in an inverted sort of way, as a silence pollution. Why not creatures that block or cancel out sound waves, generating a literal aura of silence?

You've infected my brain, I watched this movie and thought "smg is gonna write about how this isn't a sci fi movie". and gosh darn it, you're right

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

They probably pull an Andy Dufresne and wait until a thunderstorm to harvest their corn.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Honestly they should have forgotten about the whole tired, contrived 'ill-timed baby delivery' plotline, and just made it about the world's MOST TENSE corn harvesting session ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

God Hole posted:

They probably pull an Andy Dufresne and wait until a thunderstorm to harvest their corn.

Bold move, Cotton.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

But for them to conceive in the post alien timeline is such a terrible idea that I have to suspend disbelief for the story to work.

lol this dude cannot imagine a single reason why someone would want to bone down with emily blunt, aliens or otherwise

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheKevman posted:

1-The pregnancy thing was downright absurd and I know that's been discussed but COME ON. This would have been WAY more effective had she maybe just gotten pregnant before the invasion, and they changed the days accordingly. Have it be day 50 when the kid gets eaten and she's already starting to show or something. At least that way it'd be justifiable and not really by choice. In the other case, it's just completely wreckless and caused us to resent them as parents since they already have two young kids they're trying to shepherd through this. While the birthing scene was definitely suspenseful, and was by far the scene that I was most invested in, the whole time we found ourselves resenting the parents for putting the mom in that situation.

this guy too

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Anyways, when I saw it in the theatre, after Emily Blunt explodes the alien's head, a teenage girl in the audience went "EW EW EW EW EWWWWWW!!!!" which made me laugh really hard.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Movie needs a sign language birds-and-the-bees talk where Jim explains that birth control isn't foolproof.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Imagine there's a parallel universe where A Quite Place doesn't exist because the earliest humans decide that they shouldn't have children because a sabertooth might eat them.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

like a cigarette should posted:

I guess you could just do it slowly or something. As long as the aliens weren't right near you there are probably a bunch of other things in the woods that would distract them.

Also I enjoyed the movie, it was a good high concept horror movie.

My only issues are that the monsters just didn't seem all that apocalypse-worthy. If humanity got the news about their sensitive hearing early enough to print and distribute newspapers about them, surely some military groups would think to try using sounds to overwhelm them. I mean the sound that took them down was capable of being played on ordinary speakers, you could save entire cities just by rigging up a few concert speakers on trucks.

They were cool monsters but I don't really think they would be capable of decimating humanity. Still, I'm a sucker for alien apocalypse stuff so I liked the movie a lot. I'd love to see the newspaper articles they wrote for the movie, I love details like that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think the monsters would destroy any stationary speaker making noise like the lab equipment

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We also have no idea how many were part of the invasion. Possibly enough landed in urban areas to overpower any kind of organized response. With the minimal background info and limited area covered in the movie, any kind of speculation or attempts to apply tactical realism is fruitless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tumble posted:

My only issues are that the monsters just didn't seem all that apocalypse-worthy. If humanity got the news about their sensitive hearing early enough to print and distribute newspapers about them, surely some military groups would think to try using sounds to overwhelm them. I mean the sound that took them down was capable of being played on ordinary speakers, you could save entire cities just by rigging up a few concert speakers on trucks.

They were cool monsters but I don't really think they would be capable of decimating humanity. Still, I'm a sucker for alien apocalypse stuff so I liked the movie a lot. I'd love to see the newspaper articles they wrote for the movie, I love details like that.

i assumed it was a localized event by the trailers (like tremors) because those things would've been wiped out quickly by any military.