Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Big tank progress. There's a big anubias missing from the middle and some crypts missing from the back right, I don't want to pull them out from the old tank yet as they're still providing cover for the fish.

Without markup:

I don't want to assume the tank is fish ready even though the plants are settling in okay and the hair algae is under control. There's a lot of muck in under the corymbosa that I want to vac out, snail poop and broken down dead leafs plus I squeezed some sponges into it so there's some gross old mulm too.

But if I can get the water to match I think the fish will like it in there!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I've got assassins and cherry shrimp in almost all my tanks. Never had an issue, but of course any weak shrimp would be nabbed up by another shrimp or pleco before the snail got to him.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've got assassins and cherry shrimp in almost all my tanks. Never had an issue, but of course any weak shrimp would be nabbed up by another shrimp or pleco before the snail got to him.

This is my suspicion whenever anyone talks about amanos or assassin's eating smaller Shrimp. I've never had any issues

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?

Stoca Zola posted:

I love this tank! I hope my big anubias looks like that one when I move it to the new tank.The barbs look great. Is that a weather loach?

Thanks. There are 3 weather loaches in there. I can rarely get a picture of these littlest one, though. The big anubias were all grown from a cutting off from a friend's tank.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Finally cleaned the tank and ripped up a stack of ambulia that had got out of hand in the back of the tank. It’s odd being able to see everything cause there’s no plants in the way of the view.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I got my fish-free cycling ammonia on Monday and dosed the new fry grow out tank to about 1ppm to see how well the pre-seeded filter worked. Today it's still showing traces of ammonia but there's nitrite present too! So I think the seeded sponge did help kickstart the cycle even if the tank isn't fully cycled. I've stuck a DIY bottle bubbler full of ceramic media in as well, which hopefully will add some more surface area/extra filtration to make up for the lack of plants. I have put a few parrotsfeather plants in since they're happy to float but right now they are just cuttings and don't amount to much. Not long now before the fry can be released from fish jail! It feels good knowing I'll be able to move the fish into a properly cycled tank instead of just crossing my fingers and hoping I have enough plants/my reused media is old/seeded enough like I've done for tank after tank.

On the flipside, I'm not sure if I even can cycle my new big planted tank. I realised/remembered when cleaning the filter that the standard media includes both a carbon sponge and an ammonia removal sponge, I think dosing that tank will just result in the ammonia being sucked up straight away. I had intended to add my old filter on to the new tank but I was looking last night and I don't think I can fit the pipes through the cutouts in the hood, which seem to be intended just for wiring. I might just chuck the bag of lava rock from the old filter into the new tank and hope that's enough, there's still a little bit of room in the filter chamber for that to fit. I really want the fish moved while I still have time at home to keep my eye on them.

I had a pH crash in my barb tank, and lost a barb to that (or stress associated disease maybe, not sure since it all happened pretty quick). I think I had too much detritus stuck on the bottom, and some of the floating plant matter was dead/rotting too and the decomposition process might have chewed up the carbonate hardness; I can't think of any other reason why this tank had issues. The tank is way too deep and the opening in the hood is too narrow and it's extremely difficult to keep the bottom clean. The flow at the bottom is pretty low too so I wonder if adding some corys to the tank will stir it up a bit better. I would add some kind of powerhead apart from the tank is so deep I don't think any power cords would be long enough. I spent some time scraping the top couple of cm up with a net and sifting it to stir up and filter out some of the gunk, and it was really awkward and difficult even on a ladder. I think the new big tank is definitely easier to get into due to the Juwel lid being easily movable or completely removable if desired. I don't remember who told me to fork out and get Juwel but I really do not regret it at all, the accessibility makes such a huge difference to my enjoyment of working on the tank. Anyway after a water change and a bit of substrate clean up and some rearranging of the hardscape it looks a lot cleaner, and I'm going to add a bit extra alkaline buffer when I waterchange now to try to avoid this happening again. It seems to be my most common water quality problem since moving to RO water. I think I'd been overfeeding this tank too since it's so hard to tell if the striped raphaels are getting any food. They don't look thin and I think the guppies in the tank are a bit of insurance on that front, there are always guppy fry for them to eat even if there's nothing else left.

Oh! I've had an idea for this tank, I could move across the old canister filter from the busted tank, that would get some extra flow and filtration. Wonder if the hoses are long enough?

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?
Hi aquagoons, thank you for this awesome thread and so much good information. I am new to the hobby, started my first 20gal tank in January, now running the 20 as a shrimp/snail breeding ground as well as a 36 bowfront for tetras (neons and black skirt) as well as pepper cories and a brand new 75 gal for guppies since the tetras ate up the guppy fry.
Everyone seems happy and healthy after a few hiccups at the start, but there is a mystery that plagues all male guppies I've had. They last at most two days! Females and fry are fine but every male I've introduced has kicked the bucket. Water parameters are all good, and I maintain weekly cleanup/water changes so I am at a loss as to what is happening. I had a chance to score some black Moscow guppies but I'm afraid to get them because of this.
I also want to move to cories to the 75 so the big question there is: how do you catch fish in a heavily planted aquarium without ripping everything out? I tried putting food in the net but they're smart little fuckers and just watch and I imagine laugh at my efforts.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

tensac posted:

Hi aquagoons, thank you for this awesome thread and so much good information. I am new to the hobby, started my first 20gal tank in January, now running the 20 as a shrimp/snail breeding ground as well as a 36 bowfront for tetras (neons and black skirt) as well as pepper cories and a brand new 75 gal for guppies since the tetras ate up the guppy fry.
Everyone seems happy and healthy after a few hiccups at the start, but there is a mystery that plagues all male guppies I've had. They last at most two days! Females and fry are fine but every male I've introduced has kicked the bucket. Water parameters are all good, and I maintain weekly cleanup/water changes so I am at a loss as to what is happening. I had a chance to score some black Moscow guppies but I'm afraid to get them because of this.
I also want to move to cories to the 75 so the big question there is: how do you catch fish in a heavily planted aquarium without ripping everything out? I tried putting food in the net but they're smart little fuckers and just watch and I imagine laugh at my efforts.

I like that it only took you a few months to expand to 3 tanks!

Here is my idea for what could be happening to your male guppies. Male guppies tend to have long fins, and be flashy-looking, and lack mobility compared to female guppies. Black skirt tetras are mean and nippy and I bet those male guppies are like a red flag to a bull. Even if they aren't being physically damaged, any chasing behaviour could stress the male guppies out. My money is on it being a behavioural thing rather than a water condition or fish disease thing; I've seen it myself with my murderous penguin tetras. Does this sound possible? What school size of tetras do you have? If you are planning to separate the guppies to a different tank you might find that you'll solve the problem yourself, by accident. I am assuming you're doing everything else right; know about the nitrogen cycle etc and have all that under control. If the guppies have 75g to themselves they will possibly fill it up so make sure you have a plan in place for how to deal with a guppy population explosion.

Regarding catching fish, I've seen it done where you get a big net, and set it up diagonally in a corner of the tank like a fish trap. You face the mouth of the net to the front of the tank, and leave a small gap at the side of the tank, and make sure the other side of the net is flush against the front of the tank. Also you want to drop the water level so that fish can't escape out over the top of the net (you want as big a net as possible!). You end up with a triangular zone that is hard to get out of, and a fish herded into this zone is more likely to swim into the net than back out through the gap. Once you have that set up, leave it alone for a bit so that the fish aren't scared of it. Use something else, maybe your hand or some other aquarium safe doodad, to herd the fish towards the side of the tank where the net is. You want to guide them towards the side wall so that they swim to the front of the tank through the small gap, and duck in and think they've found somewhere safe. Once you have a few in the net zone watch for any going into the net itself and then you should be able to quickly lift it clear without too many escaping - pick somewhere to set the trap up where it is least likely to mess up your plants. The idea overall is you want the fish to be scared of your hand and not scared of the net.

I'm moving some fish soon but I'm going to pull everything out and drop my water level fairly low so the fish won't have any choice but to get caught.

tensac
Jun 9, 2011

is it anything?
Thank you for that, I got a huge net and "herded" the fish into it using my old net and everyone is resettled happily :D
I have 9 skirts and I've never noticed them bothering anyone except themselves, and the deaths continued even after I moved all the guppies to the 75. I tried three separate times with fish from three different stores, and it's pretty much always like this; fishes are acclimated slowly and netted out, females are usually exploring/eating/birthing within 30 mins, while the males have a look of terror on their faces, don't move around much and don't try to eat or be fish. Then a day or two later I have to wrestle a shrimp for the remains. Everyone else is super chill and healthy and there are now 4 generations as of Saturday. The only exception was a fungal bearded lady but she got better with some tender care and soothing salt baths. Which coincidentally triggered my nitrile snails to spawn off a bunch of tiny poopscroungers.
I hope some of these fry develop into males because they are kicking rear end and taking names all over the snail eggs.
This is a rewarding hobby and I'm glad I got into it, but I can easily see it becoming a situation where you are in a group and you get up and say "hi, my name is tensac, and I'm an aquaholic."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We're not aquaholics. Aquaholics go to meetings. We're just fish drunks.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

tensac posted:

I have 9 skirts and I've never noticed them bothering anyone except themselves, and the deaths continued even after I moved all the guppies to the 75.
That's pretty weird! I don't have much experience with fancy guppies as mine are all feral drainage ditch guppies and as such are pretty forgiving when it comes to conditions; I wonder if the more inbred fancy guppies are much touchier when it comes to water parameters? They do tend to like it a bit higher than neutral pH and a bit harder, do you have any measurements for gH or kH for your water? Tetras and corys will be fine in softer water and maybe the female guppies are tougher too. Can't really think of anything else that would nuke male guppies while not affecting females - apart from maybe columnaris worms, which do not kill as quickly as you describe. Female guppies seem to handle these worms quite well, as livebearers, they can handle a distended belly full of hitch hikers (sorry for gross mental imagery).

quote:

I hope some of these fry develop into males because they are kicking rear end and taking names all over the snail eggs.
This is a rewarding hobby and I'm glad I got into it, but I can easily see it becoming a situation where you are in a group and you get up and say "hi, my name is tensac, and I'm an aquaholic."

I always find the best/longest lasting fish I have are the ones that were born in my tanks so I think your babies will do alright. I had an idea that fry sex might be temperature related and came across this study, the short story is, the warmer your water is, the more male guppy fry you will end up with however there's a point where it does get too warm and you start losing fish. I had suspected there might be a temperature factor there as I run my tanks reasonably cool, and I had a feeling the ratio was skewed towards females in my tanks.

Right now I have 19 running tanks plus a pond, with a 20th tank waiting to be cleaned and resealed before use. I'm not entirely sure how this happened, I was sure I couldn't fit any more tanks in the house at about 15 tanks. This is right about the maximum number of tanks I can physically keep up with maintaining and my goal is to consolidate some of my small tanks into running fewer larger tanks to make maintenance a little easier. I have 4x 5g tanks, 7x 15g, a 20g, a 25g, a 30g, a 35g, 2x 40g, a 45g bowfront, and my newest tank is around 125g I think. The tank that isn't set up yet is a 60g cube. Both the 40g tanks need to be broken down, one for repairs and the other needs cleaning out after a disease outbreak. Ideally I don't want to run any of the 5g tanks apart from maybe the one Fluval Spec V that I have since the filter in that is pretty good. 3 of the 15g tanks are "temporary", either quarantine or fry grow out tanks, while some are shrimp tanks which are a lot easier to maintain. 3 tanks have crayfish, and I am going to move all those into the 40g after I repair it. After cleaning out the other 40g I think it needs new lights, better substrate, and to be properly planted (I also need to put the doors back on the stand, I took them off to make moving the stand easier and never put them back on). I think in the long term I want to try doing more planted shrimp tanks with my 15g tanks, so that I'm doing more top ups rather than water changes. I would like to keep rainbowfish, kyathit danios, pygmy perch, and some other fish and I think that might be what will end up in the 40g at some distant future time. I would also like to keep less guppies!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That's quite a few tanks. Tank number 2 is still sitting under the house cause the only things its going to be allowed to house is an axolotl so I'm not in a massive rush to get it up and running. My black phantoms are massive jerks but generally only to themselves. They don't like the cories getting near bloodworms when I feed them which is a shame cause that's generally the best time to see them. I might have to get some more low lying crypts and anubius for the tank because I'm not a fan of the way some of the stems take over and it might encourage my shy guys to come out a bit more.

I kinda wish I hadn't gone for flame moss as my choice because it's reaching a sort of critical mass in the tank atm and needs a trim which I was going to do yesterday during the water change but the fish where looking stressed out so I bailed on it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stoca, based on my talks with the owners of local fish shops, I think you're at the stage where your only option is to open your own store.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I've got babies! BABIES!
At least a couple of swordtail fry (cool, but not my excitement).

BABY PANDA CORY'S!!!!!!

I'm dying of happiness over here (and the wife is to). We both love the cory's just a little too much, and she noticed what she thought was weird tank gunk. Nope, bunch of baby cory's (at least 5-6).

I knew I'd seen the mating T behavior, but I never saw any eggs. They must be laying them somewhere I can't see. I'mma have more panda's!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yayyyy! If you work out where they like laying, let me know! Omg I can’t imagine how cute a baby panda cory would be. Congratulations!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Stoca Zola posted:

Yayyyy! If you work out where they like laying, let me know! Omg I can’t imagine how cute a baby panda cory would be. Congratulations!

Trying to get photos/video. Difficult as hell. But, yeah - panda cory, just really loving small. I have ~no~ clue where they are/were laying. I'm wondering if its in the cracks/under the pieces of wood I've got in the tank. I definitely didn't see anything on the glass.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Fry grow out tank still not cycled, nitrites are growing though (yay!) and ammonia nearly gone so I added a touch more. Not long now! And I moved a heap of fish to the new tank:

https://i.imgur.com/aYP08dw.mp4

I was right, it does look a bit empty! Going to let the plants grow in some more, and there are still some gudgeons that I haven't moved over - I forgot how ridiculously agile they are for fish that are normally so slow and lost in thought that they'll let a piece of food hit them in the face before they bother striking at it. It does look a bit better when all 6 loaches are swimming together, which I have seen them do. But there is plenty of real estate and it would be nice seeing a few more fish in there. I still haven't decided what I want to add, if I could get more big rasboras I would but I don't think they're even on the allowable import list. Extra fish isn't happening until probably 6 months from now when the weather for shipping fish turns warmer, and I've got all the other projects I want to do out of the way.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNhV0dbBCPE

Anyone have any idea what this is? Sways slightly in the current.
0ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
2.5ppm nitrate
Ph 6.8 approximately

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 27, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like generic mystery tank garbage to me. Could be a fleck of algae trying to grow, could be a dead leaf, could be anything!

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

Fry grow out tank still not cycled, nitrites are growing though (yay!) and ammonia nearly gone so I added a touch more. Not long now! And I moved a heap of fish to the new tank:

https://i.imgur.com/aYP08dw.mp4

I was right, it does look a bit empty! Going to let the plants grow in some more, and there are still some gudgeons that I haven't moved over - I forgot how ridiculously agile they are for fish that are normally so slow and lost in thought that they'll let a piece of food hit them in the face before they bother striking at it. It does look a bit better when all 6 loaches are swimming together, which I have seen them do. But there is plenty of real estate and it would be nice seeing a few more fish in there. I still haven't decided what I want to add, if I could get more big rasboras I would but I don't think they're even on the allowable import list. Extra fish isn't happening until probably 6 months from now when the weather for shipping fish turns warmer, and I've got all the other projects I want to do out of the way.

this 👏 is 👏 so 👏 pretty 👏

i love how natural it looks!!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I've noticed that one of my neons looks kinda odd. I noticed a slightly fat neon a couple of days ago but now this guy looks like he's just about ready to burst with an odd looking worm shaped thing on one side of his body. Dunno if I should euthanasie it now then get meds to treat the tank tomorrow or just get meds and dose the whole tank tomorrow. It's only the fish who looks off and his colour looks fine but he looks very much like a football in shape. Anyone know what might be going on with this guy? I've checked the parameters and everything looks alright tbh.

As a precaution I've separated the affected fish into a breeder box that I had for whatever reason. If it's something contagious it'll stop anyone else eating dead flesh. Googling hasn't given me much insight either

Dr. Garbanzo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 27, 2018

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I've noticed that one of my neons looks kinda odd. I noticed a slightly fat neon a couple of days ago but now this guy looks like he's just about ready to burst with an odd looking worm shaped thing on one side of his body.

I’ve seen pictures kind of like this:

... which is from wet web media and they guessed at it being some kind of round worm. Is this like what you’re seeing? Internal parasites aren’t always intestinal parasites; you might be able to treat your affected guy with food soaked in dewormer if he’s still eating, but if he has an encysted worm it might try bursting out of him to escape the medication and do some serious or fatal damage - not that I’m suggesting you should skip treatment, just a warning that the results aren’t always good. Honestly something like praziquantel is pretty mild if you get the dosage right and there’s no good reason not to dose everyone in the entire tank. I think worms are like cockroaches, if you see one there are many more that you aren’t seeing. Dewormers for fish are thankfully something that are available readily in Australia but praziquantel might not work if the worm has a resistance. I’ve been doing combined levamisole and praziquantel deworming; I have blue planet brand anti fluke medication for the prazi and Avitrol Plus bird wormer tablets for levamisole I think it’s 1 tablet per 20lt for scaleless fish and tetras, 1 tablet per 10lt for regular hardy fish. Then I make up the remainder of the prazi dosage using the fluke medication according to whatever it says on the bottle. These drugs are readily absorbed through skin and gills, I pretty much just grind the tablets up in water and add the white slurry to the tank, the white residue that doesn’t dissolve is just a cellulose carrier and is harmless. Levamisole is harsher and additional aeration should be provided, and in my experience fish become lethargic or sulky for a couple of days. After treatment worms should die and be passed within the first 24 hours so it’s important to do a thorough vac to get as many out as you can. Do a big water change after a couple of days, then treat again 7 days later. Fish that die should be removed ASAP so that no one eats them and ingests more parasites.

So without seeing it for myself that’s my best guess at what you’re dealing with.

The Snoo posted:

this 👏 is 👏 so 👏 pretty 👏

i love how natural it looks!!

Thank you! I’m trying plants I’ve never tried before but so far they are looking pretty healthy, sticking to “easy” stuff for now since I don’t want to have to do anything with CO2 or heavy ferts. The driftwood is a bunch of different pieces kind of lined up together to look like it’s part of the same piece, and to make hollows for the loaches. Even the sword plants I’ve moved across from the old tank seem to be perking up and making new healthy leaves. I read somewhere that planting a heap of the same kind of plants in one area and not having too many different plants jumbled around makes a tank look more natural and this is the first chance I’ve had to try it out.

The corymbosa in the middle was a bunch of mostly bare stems with rotten and tattered leaves when it went in, and it only took a couple of weeks to regrow into how it looks now. I planted a lot of the stems sideways and they sprouted new vertical shoots! I’ve already trimmed 2 or 3 tops of stems and replanted to even out the area too. It’s the plant I’ve been most surprised and most pleased with so far!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
That pick does look similar to what I’m seeing but the fish is rounder so he may be further down the path to destruction. I’ll see what petbarn has in the way of wormers tomorrow and grab the couple that you suggested stoca. If the sick guy does die he’s in a breeding box so he can’t be accessed by the other fish and I’ll check on them when I get up.
I haven’t added any fish in a couple of months so the worms may have been in there for a while before they hit a critical mass. Given I haven’t had a quarantine system it’s probably not a bad thing to dose the whole tank to clear anything up that may have gotten in there.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks like generic mystery tank garbage to me. Could be a fleck of algae trying to grow, could be a dead leaf, could be anything!

Everytime we scrape it off, it comes right back. Weird as poo poo.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Anyone have a mess of malaysian trumpet snails they want to send to me?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

omnibobb posted:

Anyone have a mess of malaysian trumpet snails they want to send to me?

I also am looking for this.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

All you need is one, they’ll clone live babies and build an army all on their lonesome.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Stoca Zola posted:

All you need is one, they’ll clone live babies and build an army all on their lonesome.

I got some small pea puffers and they dont seem to be taking the frozen brine shrimp or blood worms very much.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think mts would be too hard shelled for pea puffers, wonder if they’d like dried krill? A bit stinkier than brine shrimp. I’ve seen YouTube people feed their pea puffers ramshorn snails or bladder snails, both of which breed faster than mts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stoca Zola posted:

I think mts would be too hard shelled for pea puffers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96TM44di9lg

Seem to be doing fine!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Patient zero is looking worse today than he was yesterday especially after I medicated the tank with the blue planet fluke stuff. I looked for the other one you suggested stoca but they only had it in syrup form not tablets. It would appear that patient zero has dropsy perhaps but it’s hard to say if it’s that or neon tetra disease. Either way of he carks it he can’t be eaten by the others but I’ll keep a close eye on the rest of the neons from here on out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If he's in a really bad state you should just remove and euth him so he doesnt die and and pollute the tank.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Edit: never mind

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The sick neon ended up dying not too long ago but was only in the breeder box for 30 minutes or so before I noticed and hauled him out so I don’t think I ended up messing the tank up too much. I’ll keep and eye on things and do a water change tomorrow after worming the fish yesterday.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

So I think I found some cory eggs - not 100% sure, but what do you all think:

And baby panda cory photo:

Trying to get some better photos, but the little guys are shy.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think those eggs on the rock could be two half eaten eggs and one intact one. The cory eggs I've seen have all been little spheres, they stick out and seem like they should fall off but don't due to being sticky. But bits of shell get left behind and stuck to things after snack time. I posted some questions to a local corydoras Facebook group and got a reply from a guy who reckons pandas prefer Java moss over hard surfaces or artificial breeding mops. But in my experience fish do what they like and not always the same thing they do in someone else's tank. You've got lots of moss so that might be where they're laying but they seem to throw eggs in random different places probably to try different things for higher survival rates.

That little guy peeking out of the moss is pretty drat cute!

There's enough fry in my main sterbai tank now that they are swarming everywhere, safety in numbers, not shy at all. I think I need to move the adults to a different tank (maybe the newly populated planted tank) just so they stop overfilling their little 15g with babies. I saw one guy trying to munch an egg, he put his mouth right on it, sucked, and flicked his whole body in a twisting motion trying to dislodge the egg but it didn't budge. So they definitely seem to get hard enough to be safe from snacking, which makes me wonder how do the babies ever manage to bust out? Probably easier from inside out than outside in I guess.

My cycling fry tank had almost zero nitrite last night! I added a little more ammonia and I'm going to test again today to see how fast it reduces. I'll be pretty pleased if it fully cycles in only a week or so.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I once saw a guppy swimming around with a cory egg stuck to his face. I assume he tried to eat it (or one next to it) while it was still fresh and sticky.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Stoca Zola posted:

I think those eggs on the rock could be two half eaten eggs and one intact one. The cory eggs I've seen have all been little spheres, they stick out and seem like they should fall off but don't due to being sticky. But bits of shell get left behind and stuck to things after snack time. I posted some questions to a local corydoras Facebook group and got a reply from a guy who reckons pandas prefer Java moss over hard surfaces or artificial breeding mops. But in my experience fish do what they like and not always the same thing they do in someone else's tank. You've got lots of moss so that might be where they're laying but they seem to throw eggs in random different places probably to try different things for higher survival rates.

That little guy peeking out of the moss is pretty drat cute!

There's enough fry in my main sterbai tank now that they are swarming everywhere, safety in numbers, not shy at all. I think I need to move the adults to a different tank (maybe the newly populated planted tank) just so they stop overfilling their little 15g with babies. I saw one guy trying to munch an egg, he put his mouth right on it, sucked, and flicked his whole body in a twisting motion trying to dislodge the egg but it didn't budge. So they definitely seem to get hard enough to be safe from snacking, which makes me wonder how do the babies ever manage to bust out? Probably easier from inside out than outside in I guess.

My cycling fry tank had almost zero nitrite last night! I added a little more ammonia and I'm going to test again today to see how fast it reduces. I'll be pretty pleased if it fully cycles in only a week or so.

Okay, about what I figured to. We also found some on the wood in the tank, on the mossballs and I think a few in holes in some of the dragonstone pieces. My little panda's are going crazy. I'll get a few better pictures when I can of the fry - they're freaking cute, but camera shy. I'm hoping I get a few more that can survive long enough - would love to have some panda's for another tank I want to start.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
What’s the best way of attaching moss to a chunk of wood? Just bind it on with some fishing line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’ve tried both super glue and cotton twine. The cotton seems to work better and it disintegrates after a few weeks. Fishing line is permanent though so it might do alright with moss species that don’t grab onto wood that well