Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The new RGD mod allowed an open attempt to argue for BotLs freedom with a sixer if you lose.

I have accepted the risk in the name of justice

I really dislike BotL, I don't think they deserve the energy, but I respect your upward climb in defending their idiocy, Sisyphus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

I really dislike BotL, I don't think they deserve the energy, but I respect your upward climb in defending their idiocy, Sisyphus.

I can see why you would dislike him, but he posits ideas, which I respect. Its too easy to just casually dismiss everything, BotL at least takes the risk of putting thoughts out there rather than acting in a way which is wholly dismissive.

Like you and chernobyl are my two favorite posters on here because you are both willing to risk personal stakes in seeking out new ideas, which I think is the most valuable thing for discussion.

jagstag posted:

you should attempt every six hours

Like see, this is an essentially meaningless attempt at trolling because it doesn't posit anything. Its the typical slinging of stones from a place of safety. BotL at least puts forward a personal stake in his posts.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 23, 2018

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

it's not trolling I just hate your posting

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
just waking up in the morning gotta thank god
i don't know but today seems kinda odd
no barking from the dog
no smog
and botl ate a month-long

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

jagstag posted:

Hahhaha

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The new RGD mod allowed an open attempt to argue for BotLs freedom with a sixer if you lose.

I have accepted the risk in the name of justice

i'm going in, see you on the other side brother

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
botl uses his powers to exasperate and annoy and he does a transcendent job of it. this forum is nothing without him

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

jagstag posted:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
BotL being probated has derailed two (2) threads in TBB, and this isn't even the forum he was probated in

he is a champion and we dont deserve him

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

BotL being probated has derailed two (2) threads in TBB, and this isn't even the forum he was probated in

Probably because the Lit thread is the only thread that has people that like him.

Well that and his own thread.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i like him

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
my love for not-strictly-realist literature means that i welcome critiques of it; hearing someone else's well-considered opinion furthers my own understanding even when i don't agree with everything they say (and i agree with most of what botl says)

and i mean yes he can be rude, but he's finnish

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

at least for the next month he is yeah

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

this broken hill posted:

Oh okay it's all making sense now

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

this broken hill posted:

Please, he's barely getting started

Truth
Feb 24, 2005
I didn't see this in the rules, and I rarely see book related posts in SA Mart...

My wife and I are moving cross country, we've had yard sales, and still have mountains of books. Has anyone had luck selling off their collection in the case of moving? How did you do it?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Truth posted:

I didn't see this in the rules, and I rarely see book related posts in SA Mart...

My wife and I are moving cross country, we've had yard sales, and still have mountains of books. Has anyone had luck selling off their collection in the case of moving? How did you do it?

Unless you have shelves full of books that are highly sought-after, selling them is typically a long-term affair. This is particularly true if your goal is to make any money whatsoever rather than mostly just covering the cost of shipping.

If your goal is to just get rid of them, talk to your local library and see if they accept donations, either for inclusion in the library or for the book sales libraries typically hold once or twice a year. Even if they can't accept your books, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Truth
Feb 24, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

Unless you have shelves full of books that are highly sought-after, selling them is typically a long-term affair. This is particularly true if your goal is to make any money whatsoever rather than mostly just covering the cost of shipping.

If your goal is to just get rid of them, talk to your local library and see if they accept donations, either for inclusion in the library or for the book sales libraries typically hold once or twice a year. Even if they can't accept your books, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks a bunch. That's what I expected.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

perhaps you can ship them cheaply to nearby goons

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

sometimes nonchain bookstores will buy books off of you. they do want to know ahead of time that you want o do that usually

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If you have a Half Price Books nearby, they'll also buy drat well near everything, and donate the rest to school reading programs or programs that take textbooks and provide them to underfunded secondary schools across the world.

That said I think the most I've ever gotten from them was $30 for a banker's box full of books so it's more about convenience than actually making money.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Here's my advice: Don't be afraid to just throw books away.

Lots of people act like books have some sort of protected status and you can't just throw books away. That's bullshit. There's nothing special about mass-printed genre fiction or the like, and you can just dump a car load of books in the recycling dumpster if that's the most convenient option. It's not a crime.

Don't feel obligated take the books or store them if you can't sell them before the move. You can just throw them out. There's nothing wrong with it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dump them in a big pile in the street and burn them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
While chanting “gently caress the poor”

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

As a librarian, I'd like to emphasize the part about asking first. A lot of libraries can't or don't want to handle donations, especially if it's essentially worthless stuff like old textbooks, last year's bestsellers, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Krankenstyle posted:

perhaps you can ship them cheaply to nearby goons

just let goons ravage your home for books, nothing bad will happen and they come to you! meet new friends!

(don't do this)

also there are some services who will come like decommission book hoards, take them all, and then sell them all off on their own but you have to have a very very large library to make it worthwhile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

You could try selling the collection on bulk on ebay or craigslist - "here's some photos of the boxes and some titles, the rest is a grabbag, buy 200 books for 40$"

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hold a nazi rally reenactment and burn all the books in a big pyre

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a 2nd and Charles nearby? They take bulk books as a business model

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I got these in the mail. Because I wanted to read them. I don't know why I wanted to read them. I've never read any books from the "mystery novel but also there is a cat" subgenre and yet here I am.

Fat Cat...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think my daughters read something like that when they were 10, only it was a dog and he was a spy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh no this cat isn't like a detective or anything, he's just fat. The pitch for the second book is that he got away from the main character at a county fair and when she found him, she found him at the butter sculpture contest where he was munching on butter while next to the corpse of one of the top butter sculptors.

In this first one, she's trying to put him on a diet and he instead escapes and finds some meatloaf her neighbor had made and also the neighbor is right next to the meatloaf with a steak knife sticking out of his chest.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

I got these in the mail. Because I wanted to read them. I don't know why I wanted to read them. I've never read any books from the "mystery novel but also there is a cat" subgenre and yet here I am.

Fat Cat...

sudden bizarre behavioral changes can be indicative of a brain tumor or a stroke

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh no this cat isn't like a detective or anything, he's just fat. The pitch for the second book is that he got away from the main character at a county fair and when she found him, she found him at the butter sculpture contest where he was munching on butter while next to the corpse of one of the top butter sculptors.

In this first one, she's trying to put him on a diet and he instead escapes and finds some meatloaf her neighbor had made and also the neighbor is right next to the meatloaf with a steak knife sticking out of his chest.

That cat's totally a murderer.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

i can see why you want to read them tbh

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Fat Cat...

My wife completely wiped out a local used bookstore's stock of The Cat Who ... books. If I remember correctly, the author got into writing the books because she suspected a neighbor killed her pet, and she had a little fantasy about a cat apprehending the murderer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Kitty :(

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

If you write a whole series of books where your cat is consistently found next to the corpses of dead people (with the first one being a dead neighbour), it sounds more like she had a fantasy about her cat murdering her neighbour than apprehending them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's okay. I'm 8 chapters in and her worries so far have been that the co-owner of the shop is ignoring the vet's advice to stop feeding cookie bars to the cat and now Quincy is getting fatter and could possibly develop diabetes, and someone has been taking money out of the cash register, and the murdered neighbor at some point had called the health inspector on her after he bought and released some mice into her kitchen, and the two women working under her keep getting into fights and one of them has a boyfriend who is the son of the dead guy and said boyfriend has been stealing merchandise and the co-owner has been getting into fights with the dead guy's wife because the co-owner maybe dated the dead guy at one point and the wife stole him away from the co-owner and also the only other witness to the crime scene has made his story "I saw the protagonist kill that guy" and then some dude she knew from chicago has shown up in town and she doesn't know why and that dude is the reason she left chicago and on top of all of that, she is now the primary suspect in the murder case and the hot vet might have a girlfriend/wife.

But mostly she's worried about finding out which coworker has been spreading rumors about her stealing money from the till and there being rats in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Selachian posted:

As a librarian, I'd like to emphasize the part about asking first. A lot of libraries can't or don't want to handle donations, especially if it's essentially worthless stuff like old textbooks, last year's bestsellers, etc.

Yes please. So many people just dump old moldy crap that has been left in a garage of a now deceased relative. Thanks for the "donation".