Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I just realized my current reading list is accidentally comprised entirely of italians (calvino, de maria, ferrante), any more i should add to the list while i'm at it? Eco maybe?

Dante is the alpha and omega of Italian literature if you've not read him already

Mrenda posted:

I don't know if I want to continue along the masters of Irish literature thread, or dip into some short stories from Russia.

If you like Beckett that bodes very well for Joyce though Dubliners isn't really very funny. He gets funnier with each book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I just realized my current reading list is accidentally comprised entirely of italians (calvino, de maria, ferrante), any more i should add to the list while i'm at it? Eco maybe?

read the skin by curzio malaparte, I just did and it’s badass

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tim Burns Effect posted:

It should comprise Boccaccio too.

Edit: and Levi

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

read the skin by curzio malaparte, I just did and it’s badass

Yeah!!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Eco, yeah

There's nothing Boccaccio did that Chaucer didn't do better

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Vasco Pratolini.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My joke is to suggest Ezra Pound to the guy collecting Italians.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Platonov owns:

Women too shall pass, just like the Crusades. The Anti-
Sexus will come upon us, unavoidably, like the morning
sun. But it’s plain as day: the point is the form, the style
of the automatic age, and absolutely not its essence,
which doesn’t exist. After all, that’s one thing there’s not
enough of in this world: existence. Sweet shame made
into state practice, though it remains a treat. Now one
doesn’t have to live so dimly, as if in a condom.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Anna Maria Ortese, Natalia Ginzburg, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Giorgio Bassani, & and especially Wu Ming

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Shibawanko posted:

Platonov owns:

Women too shall pass, just like the Crusades. The Anti-
Sexus will come upon us, unavoidably, like the morning
sun. But it’s plain as day: the point is the form, the style
of the automatic age, and absolutely not its essence,
which doesn’t exist. After all, that’s one thing there’s not
enough of in this world: existence. Sweet shame made
into state practice, though it remains a treat. Now one
doesn’t have to live so dimly, as if in a condom.

Platonov does own

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
A really good article on literary style. One to trot out in the genre v lit debates. https://lithub.com/john-keene-elements-of-literary-style/

quote:

My style is—or should I say styles are—shaped in part by modernism and its capacity not just to depict, but capture the flow of and embody consciousness, and yet I can say about all my writing that, like our contemporary society, it is also the product of postmodernism, with its emphasis on portraying overlapping and at times seemingly incommensurate realities. If modernism ushered in access to a grasp of human psychology that prior prose authors lacked—yet many nevertheless figured out how to represent the human mind and its complexities to readers—postmodernism and its heirs have opened a window onto the complex ontologies in which we live and move today.

–Toni Morrison, “Interview with Angela Davis”

“‘What’s the best advice anyone ever gave you?’ Find a poet whose style you like, emulate that style, then deal with things you know about. Don’t waste your time looking for your own style.”

–John Cooper Clarke

Within any given society, in given eras, certain styles become established, which many, though not all writers, adapt to—or are compelled, for various reasons and by various means, to conform to. In democratic societies, it is usually by internalization, mimicry and modeling, pedagogy and the push of capitalism; in authoritarian and totalitarian societies, it is by force—of law, or worse. In the case of the former example, I am thinking, for example, of literary minimalism and its diffusion throughout American literary culture in the 1980s and 1990s. What were its origins and its effects? It would take at least an essay to trace them out, but literary minimalism fit the political, economic, technological, and cultural shifts of the time. It had powerful, well-placed champions, and some brilliant exemplars. Yet even during literary minimalism’s heyday, there were writers penning in the opposite direction: ample, expansive, baroque. No style works for everyone, though the further you are from the accepted style or styles, the more likely you are to be viewed as behind the times, or ahead of them.

–Jeanette Winterson, Art Objects

“Taken as a whole, literature in democratic ages can never present, as it does in periods of aristocracy, an aspect of order, regularity, science and art … Style will frequently be fantastic, incorrect, overburdened, and loose … The object of authors will be to astonish rather than to please, and to stir the passions more than to charm the taste.”

–Tocqueville, Democracy in America

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tim Burns Effect posted:

alberto moravia.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Why did none of you idiots mention Lampedusa? The Leopard is the greatest Italian novel, end of story

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

italo svevo

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

zenos conscious is hilarious, from the parts where his concern about his tobacco addiction to where he and an old woman get increasingly uncomfortable as they sit in the same room because she knows he wants to make her child his mistress but doesn't know how to leave the room without being awkward and him desperately wanting her to leave but can't just say so so they just sit there together both v. uncomfortable

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jagstag posted:

italo svevo

This, basically. Joyce was a big champion of Svevo.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
"As a novelist, David Duchovny is no Sean Penn"

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Cloks posted:

This, basically. Joyce was a big champion of Svevo.

have you ever seen them in the same room? I haven't........

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm Svevo, and this is Jackass

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Smoking Crow posted:

Here are some Russian Futurist poets to soothe your pain

http://hlebnikov.com/works

Fun fact: the guy that wrote this thought that Dostoyevsky's writings would have to be destroyed in order to progress to the great fascist future
I will not stand for this slander. The Russian Cubo-Futurists were not fascist; you're thinking of the "original" Futurists in Italy (that either can be the "original" is very debatable). They hated each other.

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

this thread is v. pro fascist and pro anarchist when it comes to writers

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I only consume apolitical art.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I will not stand for this slander. The Russian Cubo-Futurists were not fascist; you're thinking of the "original" Futurists in Italy (that either can be the "original" is very debatable). They hated each other.
iirc they didn't really hate each other, the russians thought marinetti was pretty cool and acknowledged his importance but they also rejected the imperialism of the italian futurists. there's a statement from a bunch of them i read once but i can't find it now

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

jagstag posted:

this thread is v. pro fascist and pro anarchist when it comes to writers

WatermelonGun posted:

Fascists Write Good

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A human heart posted:

iirc they didn't really hate each other, the russians thought marinetti was pretty cool and acknowledged his importance but they also rejected the imperialism of the italian futurists. there's a statement from a bunch of them i read once but i can't find it now
I was simplifying for the thread, and there was some mutual respect, but the fact is that they never got along and were constantly preoccupied with pissing contests over who was more important and had the truly correct theories of art. Marinetti himself was more or less snubbed by the Cubo-Futurists when he lectured in Russia (although he was popular with the public). Vladimir Markov's Russian Futurism: A History is an excellent resource if you care to know more. (It also happens to have a decent PDF version floating around on the Internet if you can't get your hands on the book itself. :ssh:)

Edit: But getting back to the post I originally dredged up, the fascist elements of Italian Futurism - the fetishization of power and especially masculine power, the glorification of war, the uncritical glee over modernization - are absent from Cubo-Futurism, and Cubo-Futurism's fixations on language and self-contained expression don't have real counterparts in Italian Futurism. The movements are almost nothing like each other beyond their rejection of the past.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 3, 2018

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Thank you for addressing this issue brought up by someone who hasn't posted for years and now I for one think you are extremely smart

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CestMoi posted:

Thank you for addressing this issue brought up by someone who hasn't posted for years and now I for one think you are extremely smart
Sorry for seeing literature mentioned that I care about and posting about it in the thread for posting about literature that you care about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Sorry for seeing literature mentioned that I care about and posting about it in the thread for posting about literature that you care about.

At this point I consider a pissy remark from cest a sign I am doing something right

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Free BotL

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
*with purchase of equal or greater value

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i cannot read my extremely annotated version of dubliners on the kindle app on my phone cuz the way they hotlink the annotations is insanely cumbersome

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I didn't know anything going into it but even then Dubliners is far from what I was expecting.

Also, my version is extremely annotated as well. I think it's the copy my sister used for her English degree. No underlining, but the odd scribble from mixing it up with a pen in a bag.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

no nobel award for literature this year. svenska akademien should have maybe avoided being a hotspot for sexual assaults, harassments and intrigue

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

no nobel award for literature this year. svenska akademien should have maybe avoided being a hotspot for sexual assaults, harassments and intrigue

I hope who ever gave the prize to Dylan and Ichiguro is the villain of all of this so I can have a sense of cosmic justice

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Dylan was too good at literature and now nobody can measure up to his classic lyrics like "smoke the weed."

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Actually, Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize in Literature for his masterwork prose poem Tarantula.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/junot-daz-accused-of-sexual-misconduct-and-verbal-abuse.html

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Well, color me loving surprised. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hope who ever gave the prize to Dylan and Ichiguro is the villain of all of this so I can have a sense of cosmic justice

the head of the academy isn't the villain of this mess, but she has resigned, and it's been speculated that she's been the driving force behind the last three winners. i can see the argument for all of them, but at the s ame time i'd rather the prize went back to being awarded for actually interersting writers that ppl wouldn't have discovered otherwise.