Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Will vouch for Coolmaster keyboards, my first mechanical was one of their weird TKLs with a hybrid numpad/cluster with Blues. Got me hooked quite well. Speaking of, I have a Mistel Barroco coming in a few days. Will post thoughts when I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

My CM Storm quickfire rapid is 5 years old and still working great. I have some 30+ year old IBM Model M's but I still think that five years with no problems still speaks well for Cooler Master. I'm pretty sure these were made by Costar who also makes Filco and some other keyboards so I can't say that they'll all be the same quality but the nice thing about mechanical keyboards is that they're usually able to be fixed as long as they don't have a weird controller problem.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I've got a Massdrop K-Type. I have some Navy box switches on the way and would like to replace the stabs, what's the best stabilizer (plate mount) option these days?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
There's really only one option that fits the K-Type and it's the genuine Cherry plate-mount stabs. The tolerances are off on the K-Type though so you'd have to shave down the stabilizers a little bit to get them to fit properly. You can try just jamming it in there too and it'll shave the stabs a little bit to fit.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Bluhman posted:

The CoolerMaster site has variants that don't have any LEDs at all, but they aren't the 'Pro' type (they're just 'Masterkeys L' instead of 'Masterkeys Pro L White LED'). What's exactly the difference there aside from LEDs?

That's the Masterkeys PBT sometimes called XT 2. It's actually made by a Taiwanese company called Costar and it's awesome. It's got thick pbt caps, really good (but kinda weird) long key stabilizers and it's built like a brick. I'd consider getting one of those if you don't care about the leds because the quality/price ratio is way better than of the pro versions.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Constellation I posted:

There's really only one option that fits the K-Type and it's the genuine Cherry plate-mount stabs. The tolerances are off on the K-Type though so you'd have to shave down the stabilizers a little bit to get them to fit properly. You can try just jamming it in there too and it'll shave the stabs a little bit to fit.

Alternatively, you can keep the white plate-mount housings but replace the stabilizer wire and wire housings with genuine Cherry parts, giving your stabs a panda aesthetic (which you can't even see with the key caps mounted, but eh).

I also put a tiny bit of dielectric grease where the wire clips into the housings, but I'm not sure if that's entirely necessary. The rattle mostly comes from the stock wire being too thin a gauge.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I just ordered a Cooler Master Mk750. It's the newer version of the Masterkeys L.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My Niz TKL with 35g switches arrived today. Ask me about upgrading it to 55g with a dome replacement to 45g and 10g springs under each key because MX Blues broke me :suicide:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Did anyone else get in the most recent group buy for the Big Series PCB from Wood Keys? If so, I'd recommend plugging the PCB in to a computer before soldering to make sure all five LEDs work. Apparently a few PCBs have some issues where not all the LEDs work.

Good news is that Wood Keys is a stand-up outfit and will replace the PCB if it is one of the faulty ones, plus a return label for the busted PCB (I assume so they can investigate the root cause).

Finally, if the wooden case didn't tickle your fancy, how about an extremely limited edition solid brass case for your NovelKeys Big Switch?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there such a thing as a device that I can plug my keyboard into (via usb) and from that device, has a usb out that I can plug into my computer. And also, inside the device is a bluetooth radio and a hardware switch/button that lets me redirect the keyboard to either the usb out (passthrough to computer) or to the Bluetooth module (disable keyboard over usb, but instead route everything over BT to my iPad)?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
You can probably go keyboard -> KVM -> Handheld Scientific bluetooth adapter or directly into PC. Compatibility might be an issue though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there such a thing as a device that I can plug my keyboard into (via usb) and from that device, has a usb out that I can plug into my computer. And also, inside the device is a bluetooth radio and a hardware switch/button that lets me redirect the keyboard to either the usb out (passthrough to computer) or to the Bluetooth module (disable keyboard over usb, but instead route everything over BT to my iPad)?

this kind of thing is the only thing I have found, probably won't do all you want but it does convert USB keyboards into bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Co...rd+to+bluetooth

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Does anyone have any experience with the MAXKEY SA key cap sets?

They are all double shot ABS plastic, which I'm afraid will feel cheap and get shiny in no time. I've got two PBT keycap sets: really cheap ones from KBDFans, that I like a lot, and the ones that came on my Pok3r which are good. Both are way way better than any of the ABS key caps I've used, but I don't know if that's just because those sets were cheap and lovely ABS*.

*: The two sets are 1) caps that came on my CM Storm Rapid and 2) WASD key caps that a friend has

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

They are all double shot ABS plastic, which I'm afraid will feel cheap and get shiny in no time. I've got two PBT keycap sets: really cheap ones from KBDFans, that I like a lot, and the ones that came on my Pok3r which are good. Both are way way better than any of the ABS key caps I've used, but I don't know if that's just because those sets were cheap and lovely ABS*.

*: The two sets are 1) caps that came on my CM Storm Rapid and 2) WASD key caps that a friend has

The ABS is fine because they're thick and heavy. Some people prefer ABS because PBT can feel gritty. I've even seen people commenting on photos of SA saying "where can I buy those semi-glossy?" and the answer is "use them.."

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not my pictures https://imgur.com/gallery/sHT1N but I've been using an ABS Maxkey "Ashen" SA profile set as my keyboard for a while now. As a former PBT > ABS guy, I'm totally happy with these. They're solid, have resisted shine. Love the profile.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Yeah, when I wrote the OP there weren't too many high end ABS keycaps yet. I'm going to keep things as is because ABS is still generally the material of lesser keycaps, and anyone deep enough in the hobby to know the difference doesn't need the OP anymore.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Brownie posted:

Like already mentioned, manufacturers that produce lovely low quality keycaps, both mainstream gamer boards and cheap Chinese boards use really lovely low quality ABS keycaps. Unfortunately, the keycap quality of the ones in the CM board and the WASD are garbage (they offer easy custom text customizations, but eh).

Good quality ABS from the likes of Signature Plastics and GMK are completely fine. PBT keycaps usually have a texture to them, but manufacturers can honestly make these plastics feel however the gently caress you want. It all depends on how the manufacturer produces their plastic. Put a typical GMK ABS keycap side by side an EnjoyPBT PBT keycap and you won't be able to tell which one was ABS or PBT.

As for MaxKey SA keycap sets, they're great. My only issue with them now is the doubleshot legends on the num-row. You'll see how #1 is thicker than the rest. They're about 90% similar to Signature Plastics SA keycaps, except for some inconsistencies with the legends, the bottom row profile not being the same, and also that SP pre-polishes the SA keycaps to give them a glossy look.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't know why I keep going back to topre, but I keep going back to topre. I think this novatouch with dsa caps is pretty much the best keyboard I have ever owned.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll buy em then :getin:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Brownie posted:

I have a set of nice, heavy doubleshot ABS caps from some drop some time ago, and they're way better than any PBT caps I've used. PBT inevitably gets shiny in irregular places, I'd rather just get shiny keys in the first place.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I just got my Barocco and drat this thing is great.

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

I've been lurking this thread for a while and took a flier on the GMMK through Massdrop and got it today. I am really enjoying typing on this thing!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Welcome to your new addiction, friend.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

NovelKeys is now selling the new BOX Royal switch. They apparently are one of the most tactile switches on the market, though I'm not sure if anyone's actually tested the switch as designed. The early samples that were sent out apparently had lighter springs than designed.

I love a good tactile switch, so I've gotten enough to cover my K-Type :homebrew:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
There are days I wish I actually liked the feel of tactiles.

Oh well. Got a full bag of Dark Yellows sitting in the drawer of my desk, just waiting for the CTRL to arrive. Still need to find some caps for it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Sweet, got a 100 to put in my Melody96 that's supposed to ship soon.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
The only tactiles that are worth it are alps.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Is there any place that makes custom wooden wrist rests? I love my Barocco, and all it needs are some wrist rests for me to have a really killer setup.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
You can go on to r/mechmarket and commission people to create one for you. Woodkeys.click I think used to take commissioned work as well.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
I would rather cut off a hand than wade into the cesspit that is reddit, but I'll check out woodkeys.click.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Re-keycaped my ergodox with a GMK carbon set thats been sitting unused for a while

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm looking for a good, cheap mechanical gaming keyboard. I was looking around on Amazon and came across these two and they both get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-KUM...2Bkeyboard&th=1

Or maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.com/TOMOKO-Water...0_&dpSrc=detail

Or are cheap mechanical gaming keyboards a bad idea?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 14, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I'm looking for a good, cheap mechanical gaming keyboard. I was looking around on Amazon and came across these two and they both get good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-KUM...2Bkeyboard&th=1

Or maybe this one?

https://www.amazon.com/TOMOKO-Water...0_&dpSrc=detail

Or are cheap mechanical gaming keyboards a bad idea?

Redragon if you want clicky switches or Velocifire VM01 if you want tactile switches

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you want tactile without the numpad, the Velocifire TKL-01 is good too.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Thanks for the responses. I'd be using the keyboard for gaming obviously and some typing but I don't want it to sound too loud/annoying so...tactile switches I guess? :shrug: I only ever tried clicky mechanical keyboards and while they felt nice they were kinda noisy at least to me.

Edit: So get this one then since I don't really need/want a numpad?

https://www.amazon.com/Velocifire-TKL01-Mechanical-Illuminated-Anti-ghosting/dp/B01MS8YTYX

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 14, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That's the one. Do note that non-clicky keyboards are only quieter, they're still pretty loud as far as keyboards go. I had to get o-rings for my Velocifire to keep my coworkers happy.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

ItBreathes posted:

That's the one. Do note that non-clicky keyboards are only quieter, they're still pretty loud as far as keyboards go. I had to get o-rings for my Velocifire to keep my coworkers happy.

Well this keyboard would be for home use so I wouldn't have to worry about annoying coworkers. I'm still torn between the Velocifire and Redragon keyboards. The Redragon is a bit cheaper but if that one is going to be a lot louder than the Velocifire I'll just get the Velocifire.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I would go for the TKL velocifire. Redragon is outemu blue and velocifire is outemu brown, the cheap blues feel worse to me than the cheap browns. I'm a fan of the velocifire build quality too, at home I'm using a velocifire full size modded with kailh box navys.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spasticColon posted:

Well this keyboard would be for home use so I wouldn't have to worry about annoying coworkers. I'm still torn between the Velocifire and Redragon keyboards. The Redragon is a bit cheaper but if that one is going to be a lot louder than the Velocifire I'll just get the Velocifire.

I have a monoprice blue at home and the Velocifire brown at work, and if I wasn't such a skinflint I would definitely get a Velocifire for home too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I'll get the Velocifire TKL01 then. Thanks for the recommendation.