Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Digital Jesus posted:

Took the plunge and ordered an A7iii today. Now we play the waiting game.

Mine came in. It's raaaaaaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

8th-snype posted:

JJC makes a round hood that will work with the OEM cap.
I’m think I’m going to try that one. The price is right.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

qirex posted:

I’m think I’m going to try that one. The price is right.

It's the one I use when I use one on my x100f.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
I'm thinking of picking up the Sony 28-70mm SEL2870 lens for my A6000 as i wanna do a little video stuff and i feel the flexibility might be nice. All i have right now is a 30mm 2.8 sigma which is tremendous but not doing it for me.

Any opinions? any other lenses i should look at instead?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Reminder you can rent bodies if you're a conflicted soul. I rented an x100f while on vacation this week, and I'm not sure how to feel about it after shooting film only for several years. I thought the first x100 was a magical creature but I'm not feeling much this time. It's kind of underwhelming how little has changed in 3 iterations from a general use perspective, which really nails down why obsessing over tech specs probably isn't worth it. The EVF feels much faster which is welcome, but the bump from 12MP to 24MP is less amazing than I thought it would be. Red filter Acros is pretty cool, and I like Classic Chrome less than I thought I would. I still think the OVF is gimmicky and pointless.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 30, 2018

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Frobbe, the 28-70 is generally regarded as one of the worse lenses in Sony's e-mount lineup. It's also designed for full frame, so you'd be paying for extra weight that you don't need. For flexibility and video use on an a6000, the Sony 18-105 (or even the 16-50) is a better choice. It's not as cheap new as a28-70, but you could probably find one used/refurbished/on sale for close to the same price as a 28-70, and the range, constant aperture, and power zoom capability make it a pretty nice value IMO, even at the sticker price of $500.

Helicity, if you like the idea of an X100 but don't like the OVF and aren't interested in paying extra for more megapickles, X-E2S's are selling at huge discounts right now. Adorama was clearing out its stock a couple weeks ago and letting them go for, like, 50% off of the original list price.

Also, shot in the dark, but has anyone tried a Nikon 55/1.2 adapted to a newer crop-sensor digital camera? I've been doing very well with an AI-S 50/1.4, but it just fell off my desk onto concrete and I'm afraid it'll never be the same. (It didn't really show much outward appearance of damage...those old Nikon lenses are loving rugged.) I had been using the 50 as a general purposes/portrait lens and was pretty impressed with the image quality, even at f/2. I'd like to upgrade a little rather than just replace the 50/1.4, and I'm partial to Nikon since I also shoot with an FE2, but I know there are now a plethora of new third-party manual focus lenses that come in X-mount. Are there any really good, fast, short-tele (~50mm) lenses from the likes of Samyang or Mitakon or whatever, that would be worth the extra expense (but not much more than $300) over a nice used Nikon 55/1.2?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Need advice.

Going backpacking, weight is obviously a serious issue. How much will I miss my 55-200 if I don't take it? I plan on the 18-55 and 14, its out in West Virginia .. will I hate myself that I don't have that reach and compression or will I hate myself that I packed along an extra lens that added weight?

Location is in West Virginia, so it has some "mountains".

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Need advice.

Going backpacking, weight is obviously a serious issue. How much will I miss my 55-200 if I don't take it? I plan on the 18-55 and 14, its out in West Virginia .. will I hate myself that I don't have that reach and compression or will I hate myself that I packed along an extra lens that added weight?

I went on a long day hike on the White Mountain with a 14mm and I was very happy with it. The only thing I missed was wider lens. If I do it again I would go with a 360 video camera too. I did tons of stitched panorama photos with the 14mm too.

If you plan on shooting selfie, get a little plastic mirror they put on car rearview mirrors.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Frobbe, the 28-70 is generally regarded as one of the worse lenses in Sony's e-mount lineup. It's also designed for full frame, so you'd be paying for extra weight that you don't need. For flexibility and video use on an a6000, the Sony 18-105 (or even the 16-50) is a better choice. It's not as cheap new as a28-70, but you could probably find one used/refurbished/on sale for close to the same price as a 28-70, and the range, constant aperture, and power zoom capability make it a pretty nice value IMO, even at the sticker price of $500.

Helicity, if you like the idea of an X100 but don't like the OVF and aren't interested in paying extra for more megapickles, X-E2S's are selling at huge discounts right now. Adorama was clearing out its stock a couple weeks ago and letting them go for, like, 50% off of the original list price.

Also, shot in the dark, but has anyone tried a Nikon 55/1.2 adapted to a newer crop-sensor digital camera? I've been doing very well with an AI-S 50/1.4, but it just fell off my desk onto concrete and I'm afraid it'll never be the same. (It didn't really show much outward appearance of damage...those old Nikon lenses are loving rugged.) I had been using the 50 as a general purposes/portrait lens and was pretty impressed with the image quality, even at f/2. I'd like to upgrade a little rather than just replace the 50/1.4, and I'm partial to Nikon since I also shoot with an FE2, but I know there are now a plethora of new third-party manual focus lenses that come in X-mount. Are there any really good, fast, short-tele (~50mm) lenses from the likes of Samyang or Mitakon or whatever, that would be worth the extra expense (but not much more than $300) over a nice used Nikon 55/1.2?

God i wish that 18-105 sold for as little as 500 here. I did find out that the 28-70 is the A7 kit lens after posting. i've found the powerzoom version of the 18-50 for 80 bucks used, so i'll probably go with that first! i don't have much need for the extra zoom, but extra wide would be nice.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Need advice.

All depends on what you normally use for landscapes. Lately I’ve found I really like telephotos to compress backgrounds, though I got some decent shots at 55mm on an APS-C - I just took my 18-55 and 12 to Argentina and was happy.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Lady Gaza posted:

All depends on what you normally use for landscapes. Lately I’ve found I really like telephotos to compress backgrounds, though I got some decent shots at 55mm on an APS-C - I just took my 18-55 and 12 to Argentina and was happy.

Yeah I think that's the route I am going with. 18-55 and 14.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Need advice.

If I was going hunting or specifically looking for wildlife, shooting climbers/skiers etc I would consider bringing a telephoto but for backpacking in most cases just pack a wide angle lens and call it a day. I also stopped carrying a body/lenses and went with an RX100 instead. I would rather move lighter and take snapshots than get into hardcore photographer mode on my backpacking trips nowadays. If I was going on a trip with one of my fellow photo buddies that might change, but most of my friends don't want to stop for 20 minutes while I scramble up a ridge to get a photo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuji question: what's the best way to get maximum contrast out of the camera? I really liked Sony's "High Contrast B&W" mode for cloud pictures on my RX100, I could just crank the exposure down until the dark part of the clouds was almost black but it preserved the highlights. I'm still experimenting between the different monochrome modes, I think Acros R is the closest so far. I'm guessing the ND filter is relevant for this kind of thing as well? If I need to boost the contrast in post that's OK too, I just need to figure out how to shoot to set myself up for it. Experiments so far are pretty muddy but the clouds aren't perfect today either.

This is the end result I'm going for

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Set the highlights and shadows to +3 in the camera settings?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lady Gaza posted:

That's a good idea that hadn't occurred to me. What I'll probably do is take them both out and fiddle until I can get the X100 to look like that mode [and look like a total crazy person while I'm doing it].

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Another question for fuji people. Does your camera lock you to multi metering mode when you have face detection turned on? Wondering if this is a bug or expected behavior - my first time noticing it (X-T2)

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

qirex posted:

Fuji question: what's the best way to get maximum contrast out of the camera? I really liked Sony's "High Contrast B&W" mode for cloud pictures on my RX100, I could just crank the exposure down until the dark part of the clouds was almost black but it preserved the highlights. I'm still experimenting between the different monochrome modes, I think Acros R is the closest so far. I'm guessing the ND filter is relevant for this kind of thing as well? If I need to boost the contrast in post that's OK too, I just need to figure out how to shoot to set myself up for it. Experiments so far are pretty muddy but the clouds aren't perfect today either.

This is the end result I'm going for

Press Q, there should be options for highlights and shadow. Bump up the shadows to +2, and experiment with the highlights.

-edit: beaten

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I think I might want a tiny camera I can always have with me. Is the RX100 the way to go? Which version?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Xabi posted:

I think I might want a tiny camera I can always have with me. Is the RX100 the way to go? Which version?

That's always a solid choice. Get the latest model you can afford. Later models have more video centric improvements, if that's important to you. The III is a pretty good price/feature sweet spot.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

Does +3 make highlights brighter and shadows darker? or wouldn't -3 make shadows darker? I am afraid to touch these settings.

Also how do I get fuji to sponsor me, I sing their praises constantly and I'm very close to convincing a few different people to ditch their canon 1Dx/5D4's for the fuji system.

And I'm very good at a tiny niche:

XT2 SUPREMACY (50-140mm 2.8, 1/200, f/3.2, ISO 1600 for the curious)

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The + highlight setting will increase highlight exposure and + shadow will decrease shadow exposure, its kind of counter intuitive. So if you want to recover highlights, set it to a negative value and if you want to recover shadows, set it to a negative value too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really like my RX100MII, I'm going to keep it even though I got a bigger camera. Are you stepping down from a 'real' camera to this or will this be the only thing you own that's better than a phone? Most of the complaints I've heard about it are from people used to the controls on a larger camera. If you need to adjust more than one parameter at a time it can be a little frustrating [the lens ring is basically useless] but it has a good auto mode and once you get used to it it's not the worst. I don't think you need the V version, I'd probably buy a IV if I was going to get one now, it has slightly better battery life which is more significant to my use cases than lightning fast autofocus.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Xabi posted:

I've got the RX100ii and I can't recommend it enough. It has slightly more optical zoom but it does have a slightly older sensor versus the newer versions and a slightly slower lens at the longer focal lengths.

Its my go-to travel/hiking/backpacking camera due to its size to quality ratio. Paired with a small gorillapod tripod, you can take night shots of the milky way. Aside from my cell phone, it gets the most use of all my photo gear. My body/lenses usually only get used for paid weddings and special occasions at this point. I also picked up extra batteries and a circular polarizing filter for it that attaches via a magnet so its super easy to take on and off.

The ii seems like a great deal at this point. The newer versions are still expensive as the RX100 always has been. I bought my ii back when the iii came out for $400 on craigslist. It doesn't look like their value drops at all considering they still continue to make each of the models despite being in their 5th generation.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
The mk I has annoying pause between pressing the power button and it actually turning on or off. Every time I turn it off, there is enough time for me to think 'is it working? ' before the lens starts retracting.

Do later models do that?

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
I'm using an RX100 mkV and turning it on/off is very quick, I have no issues there.

For a compact camera it's brilliant. About as good as you can get in a compact most likely, given the tiny size - I carry it around in my jacket pocket and used it all day yesterday for city street shooting.

I have two main criticisms:
  • Firstly, it lacks good manual controls and tactile feedback, so setting exposure in a heartbeat by feel alone is something you just can't do, you have to prepare your shots to a degree (at least, I certainly do).

• Secondly, and not many others seem to mention this and I'm not sure why, the optics aren't able to keep up with the sensor. It's not bad for a compact, but with my copy the optics simply won't deliver pixel perfect performance at 24mp at any aperture or focal length. Bear in mind I'm into my top end Zeiss primes so you know where I'm coming from, but to me it's clear they had to make significant compromises to fit the 24-70 equivalent zoom into such a small package.

On the other hand, the size and viewfinder are what keep me using this camera, and it's a no-brainer when the alternative is a phone. Just don't expect anything near full frame prime levels of performance I guess I'm saying?

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 1, 2018

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I just received a BGN Fuji XF 18-55 from KEH, and I cant get the aperture to change when I use the ring on the front. It's not in auto, when I spin the ring it goes between f3.2 and f3.6. If I change it to auto mode I can then control the aperture by using the front command dial. This tells me that it's a lens issue and note the camera. Does that sound right?

Actually, I just found a post at DPReview where someone had the exact same problem. Must be common with this lens (or somehow I have the lens he returned)?

At this point I think i'm done with KEH. This is the 3rd order in 6 months where i've gotten either the wrong item completely, or the item was broken on arrival.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

frogbs posted:

So I just received a BGN Fuji XF 18-55 from KEH, and I cant get the aperture to change when I use the ring on the front. It's not in auto, when I spin the ring it goes between f3.2 and f3.6. If I change it to auto mode I can then control the aperture by using the front command dial. This tells me that it's a lens issue and note the camera. Does that sound right?

Actually, I just found a post at DPReview where someone had the exact same problem. Must be common with this lens (or somehow I have the lens he returned)?

At this point I think i'm done with KEH. This is the 3rd order in 6 months where i've gotten either the wrong item completely, or the item was broken on arrival.

Adorama has become my go to for used lenses. KEH just ain't the same.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

torgeaux posted:

Adorama has become my go to for used lenses. KEH just ain't the same.

Yeah Adorama and B&H both have good rating systems from what I've seen. Shame about KEH .. turned greedy and ruined it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

More like got bought out by a vulture capital firm but yeah

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Xposting from the camera gear thread where no one seemed to know: what case should I get for this X-T2? I would love a hard leather case that covers the lens too but since I'm using the 35mm f/1.4 that's probably not going to be possible right?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Don’t buy a case for your camera.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Xposting from the camera gear thread where no one seemed to know: what case should I get for this X-T2? I would love a hard leather case that covers the lens too but since I'm using the 35mm f/1.4 that's probably not going to be possible right?

The 35mm's metal lens hood is all the protection you need.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

Don’t buy a case for your camera.
I'm open to other suggestions in terms of preventing it from getting hosed up during international travel? The 35mm is also not weather sealed, unlike the body.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm open to other suggestions in terms of preventing it from getting hosed up during international travel? The 35mm is also not weather sealed, unlike the body.

Take the lens off, make sure the caps are on the body and lens, pack it in the suitcase squished in with soft stuff like shirts or socks. And take the battery out too, that’s a pretty common requirement for international travel too. Or invest in a decent camera bag and take that carry-on.

You don’t need a cover.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Get a good bag like a Lowepro or something and take it as a carry-on.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Get one of those cheapy foam cases for when you keep it in your backpack/bag on the plane

Also has the option of sitting on your belt if you want to look dorky. Rest of the time, that camera is strapped to your wrist or neck.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fuji gear is so robust that you don’t really need a case unless you like the aesthetics. I’ve dropped poo poo more times than I care to admit, sometimes on concrete from waste level, and it is always fine if not a little scuffed. Once after not getting any sleep I was out on a shoot and I dropped my 23 1.4 - it landed right on the rear element and still works fine.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It's not like they're asking for the best UV filter to protect the lens. They "would love" a hard leather case. Who are we to deny love?

I don't know anything about these but multiple blogs/forums seem to mention them frequently, so if you get one report back on how awesome/lovely it is!

https://www.kaza-deluxe.com/category.php?id=68
https://www.amazon.com/Gariz-XS-CHXT2BK-Genuine-Leather-Fujifilm/dp/B01M3NOAAM

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to admit I got one of those half-cases with large padding on the right side for my X100F because I have big mitts and it makes it much easier for me to grip. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

True, I had a half leather case with snaps that let you cover the top half with a separate piece on my old X100. I liked the way it looked and it helped with ergonomics due to the lack of a grip on that camera. I just haven’t needed one for the X-T2, particularly since I use the vertical grip on it. But good point about just wanting one as a reason because they do look cool.