Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any stories about 40k loyalist marines falling to chaos or otherwise turning traitor? The closest I've found I think is that infected marine from the short story in Magos. I've read plenty of HH marine stuff, but my 40k marine experience is pretty much limited to the night lords and space wolf series'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

bango skank posted:

Are there any stories about 40k loyalist marines falling to chaos or otherwise turning traitor? The closest I've found I think is that infected marine from the short story in Magos. I've read plenty of HH marine stuff, but my 40k marine experience is pretty much limited to the night lords and space wolf series'

The Soul Drinkers Omnibus has it happening, but goddamn is that awful writing

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The white scars horus heresy books have a section where one of the white scars points how hosed up the space marines are now both mentally and ideally after the drop site massacre so that also might have something to do with how they are written.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

bango skank posted:

The only chapters I can think of which have fallen and have been fleshed out in any meaningful way are the Red Corsairs and the Crimson Slaughter, but looking through the sources on their wiki pages it seems that neither have any books focusing on them specifically. I could definitely be wrong though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A chaplain is just a commissar with better PR but without a snazzy hat or working genitals.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

A chaplain is just a commissar with better PR but without a snazzy hat or working genitals.

Pfft, someone needs to learn how to convert their minis better.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mef989 posted:

Is that supposed to be their thing now? I had never heard that but of fluff about their time being purposefully taken up so that they don't have the opportunity to think and fall to chaos. Makes sense I guess even if it makes for bad writting, although I thought that was the purpose of them splitting the legions into chapters. The Deathwatch Librarian in Eisenhorn didn't seem bad, but he was just a minor character.

Considering how often Marines seem to turn Traitor, the Chaplains and Reclusiarchs need to be trying harder imo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bango skank posted:

One of the Imperial Fists successor chapters in Beast Arises series turns traitor and it's really well done. They are forced to cooperate with traitor marines by circumstances and slowly come around to some of their points of view and by the end they are labeled heretics for their cooperation (even though they really did have solid reasons) and have no choice but to go all the way and turn traitor or be destroyed.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

YMMV on that. I don't remember the details, but I do clearly remember finding the initial 'They've decided to work together now' bit incredibly unconvincing.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Wasn't it a bunch of Black Templars, who were expressly NOT happy about the whole situation?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Wasn't it a bunch of Black Templars, who were expressly NOT happy about the whole situation?

I am literally reading this book right now and yes, this is correct. The leader of the Templars is a dreadnought who has been hunting this particular warband since the heresy. I don’t know how good it will be later on but their alliance is fairly fun to start with at least.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Any stories out there about loyalist Thousand Sons?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Meridian posted:

Any stories out there about loyalist Thousand Sons?

Sadly the dawn of war books were real bad.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Actually, I thought the first one wasnt too terrible. It wasn't great, being CS Goto, but it was highly serviceable.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Reading Malleus and Eisenhorn repeatedly references Inshabel's adventure on Fibos secundus as being a good read. I thought it was a hamfisted way to promote a spin off story, but can't find one. Anything like that exist?

Eisenhorn posted:

Inshabel was right as I have already said. It was a drat good story, and I enjoyed it when he told it to me later. I urge you to access it.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 2, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm pretty sure it's just worldbuilding.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Immanentized posted:

Pendent posted:

I am literally reading this book right now and yes, this is correct. The leader of the Templars is a dreadnought who has been hunting this particular warband since the heresy. I don’t know how good it will be later on but their alliance is fairly fun to start with at least.

Memory jogged, that was it. A bunch of Black Templars , who were already full bore fanatical 'Faith in the Emperor' enough to resist psychic attack and who had spent the last 1000 years obsessively hunting these particular renegades decide on a wacky buddy cop team up.

I did not find it convincing.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 2, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The War of the Beast books are not very good. I like some of the ideas they play around with but grimdarking the Orks to a degree that they rival Honsou's daemonculaba experiment is a no-no for me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The War of the Beast books are not very good. I like some of the ideas they play around with but grimdarking the Orks to a degree that they rival Honsou's daemonculaba experiment is a no-no for me.

My main problem was they completely gloss over the actual threat to the Imperium of the Orks just jumping in and immediately Gravity Cannoning Terra, destroying the Astronomicon and winning the war at a stroke. No they just sit there for multiple books looking menacing. Also the repeated attacks on Ullanor start to look like the Holy Grails 'We built a castle in the swamp' routine.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Memory jogged, that was it. A bunch of Black Templars , who were already full bore fanatical 'Faith in the Emperor' enough to resist psychic attack and who had spent the last 1000 years obsessively hunting these particular renegades decide on a wacky buddy cop team up.

I did not find it convincing.

No it was Imperial Fists (Fist Exemplar) who worked with the traitors and it was the Black Templars who refused to welcome them back and attacked them forcing them to go full traitor.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zerberyn

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

D-Pad posted:

No it was Imperial Fists (Fist Exemplar) who worked with the traitors and it was the Black Templars who refused to welcome them back and attacked them forcing them to go full traitor.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zerberyn

That happens later in the series but scene with the Templars teaming up with the Iron Warriors happens much earlier - again I just read this section. The book was Throneworld.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

What's the required reading for 40k novels other than Eisenhorn/Ravenor? Preferably books available on Audible. I'm about to start back on the Horus Heresy, but kind of want to keep going with current era Warhammer as well. Unfortunately it seems that Gaunts Ghosts series only has two ebook on there. Looks like the Beast Arises series is available, but the last few pages make me a bit cautious about it. Are the Damoncles books any good?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mef989 posted:

What's the required reading for 40k novels other than Eisenhorn/Ravenor? Preferably books available on Audible. I'm about to start back on the Horus Heresy, but kind of want to keep going with current era Warhammer as well. Unfortunately it seems that Gaunts Ghosts series only has two ebook on there. Looks like the Beast Arises series is available, but the last few pages make me a bit cautious about it. Are the Damoncles books any good?

Skip the Beast Arises - it had promise, but the first book was terrible and it was too long and got silly.

In no particular order:
Helsreach
Talon of Horus (Book 1) and Black Legion (Book 2)
Carrion Throne (I heard this was good, but someone may want to correct me)

And since it's not available in audiobook format, read the Night Lords trilogy by ADB. +++IT IS REQUIRED. END TRANSMISSION+++

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

berzerkmonkey posted:

And since it's not available in audiobook format, read the Night Lords trilogy by ADB. +++IT IS REQUIRED. END TRANSMISSION+++

But really, who could give the scene where they awaken the dreadnought the performance it deserves?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Alternative pants posted:

But really, who could give the scene where they awaken the dreadnought the performance it deserves?

Rob Halford?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Does Emperor's Gift have an audio book version? I'd strongly recommend that after the Ravenor series.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just finished up Ruinstorm, which promised to be a book I was really interested in but turned out to be a pretty big waste of time. Is Wolfsbane any good?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Olanphonia posted:

Does Emperor's Gift have an audio book version? I'd strongly recommend that after the Ravenor series.

No, I'm afraid not.

PantsOptional posted:

Just finished up Ruinstorm, which promised to be a book I was really interested in but turned out to be a pretty big waste of time. Is Wolfsbane any good?

It's not out till the 12th.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

It's not out till the 12th.

Not officially, but suppose I were to have read it I would have to say I enjoyed it and it was pretty good.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Just have to say holy poo poo is Dark Imperium bad. It comes off as nothing but GW going "Hey! Look how TOTALLY AMAZING Primaris Marines are. Those old and completely outdated small Marines are inferior in every way. Even :siren: The Primarch :siren: himself views primaris as the future and way forward. This book was in no way meant to pursuade you to buy our new product.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah. I hear you. I get a little sad when I see people defend that book, it's crap.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Honestly forget the primaris Marines, it was just badly and boringly written. Like the novelization of a source book (which it effectively is).

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Mef989 posted:

Just have to say holy poo poo is Dark Imperium bad. It comes off as nothing but GW going "Hey! Look how TOTALLY AMAZING Primaris Marines are. Those old and completely outdated small Marines are inferior in every way. Even :siren: The Primarch :siren: himself views primaris as the future and way forward. This book was in no way meant to pursuade you to buy our new product.

I really liked the intro with guiliman and fulgrim the rest of the book was meh.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly forget the primaris Marines, it was just badly and boringly written. Like the novelization of a source book (which it effectively is).

I think this is pretty much spot on. I mean, I get that the book is basically there to set up the current 8th ed setting within the 40k universe, and to provide a back story to the 40k intro box. I could even forgive the giant primaris circle jerk, but the writing is lazy, the characters have no dimention, and it just generally feels like bad fanfic. Probably doesn't help that I preceeded it by reading ADB's Black Legion books and the Ravenor Trilogy, both of which are arguably some of the best novels in the setting.

Next up for me though is A Thousand Sons, which I've heard is great and have been really looking forward to reading.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUSHhWErdY

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gently caress YEAH

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Yessssssss.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kinda rushed through that sequence with the princeps, what the hell.

Edit: Also skipped every bit of setup for the dockyards battle.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 5, 2018

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

Kinda rushed through that sequence with the princeps, what the hell.

Edit: Also skipped every bit of setup for the dockyards battle.

Could you elaborate for someone who hasnt read the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Could you elaborate for someone who hasnt read the book?

Bro you should really read the book