Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Took the jump on a vanishing point. This will be my first >~$30 pen should be here tomororw, hopefully it's nice and worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is it a gold nib? Either one is great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That blue carbonesque is calling my name

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Lowness 72 posted:

That blue carbonesque is calling my name

I have a blue carbonesque and it’s my favorite pen. The surface is ever so slightly textured, which makes it really nice to use.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I wish Pilot would go back to making resin VPs. The regular VP is to heavy for me and the Decimo is too thin.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We finalised pricing on the pen cases, by the way.

Regular one (142 mm, think Lamy 2000 and most TWSBIs) is 85 SGD, or about 65 USD. Oversize (152 mm, think Pelikan M1000 or Montblanc 149) is 100 SGD, or about 75 USD.

The goon discount is still 10% off. Should be a pretty approachable price, I think.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What's wrong with the Nemosine Singularity? I really like mine, the 0.6mm stub is a good nib and the ink capacity is reasonable for the amount of writing I do at work. For a cheap pen, I can't see anything to complain about.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
There was a period right after they came out that they were the new hotness in cheap demonstrators for a bit, and they're extremely prone to cracks and leaks. Like I said above, my friend had 3 of them go bust on her, and for a while the FP subreddit had a ton of threads about them cracking.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
On Gouletchat, as someone only a few months into using FP's regularly, I went to this thread first, and found his videos second. Especially his later ones, they are accessible, well-presented, and useful, I think, for the complete newbie. "Goulet Nation" is a bit silly and cultish, but I see the business sense in it when Amazon is always lurking in the background. Jetpens is a site I also want to explore more of.

Kessel posted:

It’s partly for this reason that I intentionally don’t maintain a blog of any sort, even though I’d likely be able to provide a lot of good access to and information on Japanese pens and stationery. I want Musubi as a brand to be as divorced as possible from a single personality, and to stand on its own two feet.

You can drop some links here; we won't tell. :buddy: Also, are you going to the DC pen show?

My in-laws live in the DC area and I think this is the most enthused I've ever been to make that I-95 hell drive in summer.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Kessel posted:

We finalised pricing on the pen cases, by the way.

Regular one (142 mm, think Lamy 2000 and most TWSBIs) is 85 SGD, or about 65 USD. Oversize (152 mm, think Pelikan M1000 or Montblanc 149) is 100 SGD, or about 75 USD.

The goon discount is still 10% off. Should be a pretty approachable price, I think.

How much flexibility in size is there with the regular case? It's the right size for all my pens except my Pilot Custom 743, which is 149mm long. I don't really want to be putting my regular sized pens into an oversized case or buying an oversized case just for this one pen.

Heath posted:

There was a period right after they came out that they were the new hotness in cheap demonstrators for a bit, and they're extremely prone to cracks and leaks. Like I said above, my friend had 3 of them go bust on her, and for a while the FP subreddit had a ton of threads about them cracking.

Ah fair enough. I've not had that problem with mine so I wonder if they've upped their game since release.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a pen case that would work well with Kaweco Sports? I've got a growing collection of the little things and want to store/carry them around properly, but most cases seem like they're too long. The one I have now has them all in the same pocket where they're bumping into each other and I have to fish them out from the bottom constantly.

I saw Kaweco's fancy leather one and it is glorious, but if there's something out there for less than $100, that'd be much more friendly to my budget. I can still barely wrap my mind around spending three digits for a pen, let alone a case.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pen case that would work well with Kaweco Sports? I've got a growing collection of the little things and want to store/carry them around properly, but most cases seem like they're too long. The one I have now has them all in the same pocket where they're bumping into each other and I have to fish them out from the bottom constantly.

I saw Kaweco's fancy leather one and it is glorious, but if there's something out there for less than $100, that'd be much more friendly to my budget. I can still barely wrap my mind around spending three digits for a pen, let alone a case.

You might need something custom. I can vouch for the custom work of Pentaloons on Etsy. Reasonable prices, great work.

Edit: phoneposting typos

effika fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 30, 2018

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I hadn't thought of looking for something custom-- Pentaloons looks like just what I need! Thanks!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This is a nice pen

Extra fine probably wasn't the best idea but for what I do being able to write small is nice.

e: Yeah i also like to match inks to pens colorwise.

The only thing is there is no way to tell the ink level, even after taking it apart.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 30, 2018

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Plinkey posted:

The only thing is there is no way to tell the ink level, even after taking it apart.

There should be just a sliver of the cartridge that's above the nib unit. If you hold the pen sideways, you can sorta see how much ink is left that way.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

kim jong-illin posted:

How much flexibility in size is there with the regular case? It's the right size for all my pens except my Pilot Custom 743, which is 149mm long. I don't really want to be putting my regular sized pens into an oversized case or buying an oversized case just for this one pen.

Won't fit unless you just put the one pen in the case diagonally.

Basically there are two "standard" sizes most Japanese manufacturers cleave to when making their pens: 140 mm and 150 mm. The cases are designed to fit these sizes with 2 mm clearance. Western manufacturers are less standardised, but a lot of the longer pens are 145-149 mm and that's what the oversize case is meant to accommodate.

All that being said, some of our testers actually devised a simple but cute solution for carrying pens of different lengths in our cases - in testing, they simply stuffed a little cotton wool down the bottom of one side of the oversize case and used that side to carry the shorter pen. There's a blowout hole on either lateral edge of the bottom (meant for clearing out lint and grit) so the cotton wool is trivially removable if you ever just want to carry two longer pens instead.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
it feels like you could trim like 80% of goulet's videos and not lose anything of value.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

teraflame posted:

it feels like you could trim like 80% of goulet's videos and not lose anything of value.

If twenty out of a hundred are good then Goulet's well above par for the Internet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As always, on the internet and everywhere else, Sturgeon's Law is the norm. So anything that's only 80% crap is well above average.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teraflame posted:

Trim out the part with his face and leave the centre of the desk where the pens are.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Plinkey posted:

This is a nice pen

Extra fine probably wasn't the best idea but for what I do being able to write small is nice.

e: Yeah i also like to match inks to pens colorwise.

I love my VP - I have over 30 pens and this one is always inked up. I’m still surprised no other fountain pen makers have used this design because it is so useful. I teach for this pen when I know I will be writing on and off and don’t want to have a cap to keep screwing and unscrewing or fiddling with while writing (since I usually write unposted).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Platystemon posted:

Trim out the part with his face and leave the centre of the desk where the pens are.

his stupid dumb face with the fake ingratiating smile that I hate so much

Not a huge fan of the way that man presents himself to the world I've got to say. He just seems really insincere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"The Monteverde Monza totally isn't a rebranded Jinhao with 1500% mark up guys, honest!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brian Goulet is a youth pastor kind of guy.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Had an intense hit of nostalgia today after inking my Vista with Dark Lilac. I used a Sheaffer School Pen in school and then off and on over the years -- yay, Peacock Blue! -- but didn't really get into things until years later. Back when Private Reserve was new, I got a bottle of Tanzanite and put it in a Hero 330 I'd been using for a while. Eventually, the ink ate the sac and half the feed. To replace it, I ordered a Vista from Oscar Braun Pens, figuring a real pen would hold up better, and it did. I carried that pen for years, but eventually lost it -- to date, the only fountain pen I've ever lost. This one's the replacement, and the ink isn't the same, but still...

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Talk to me about Oblique nibs. Are they useful if I write at an angle?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Talk to me about Oblique nibs. Are they useful if I write at an angle?

If you write as such an extreme angle that it affects inkflow, yes. More useful for getting italic nibs at the proper angle on the paper.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

grack posted:

If you write as such an extreme angle that it affects inkflow, yes. More useful for getting italic nibs at the proper angle on the paper.

So if I were to buy a Lamy 2000 - any reason to go for OM vs. regular medium?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
In July I'll be heading to Brazil for a month on business, but I'll have plenty of time to explore. I heard that there is a bit of a revival going on there for fountain pens - Montblanc seems to be the most popular. Anything I should keep an eye out for when I'm there? I'll be in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre for a few weeks each respectively.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

So if I were to buy a Lamy 2000 - any reason to go for OM vs. regular medium?

You'd probably be fine with either. It's not that difficult to adapt your writing for a pen.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Are there any capless options besides the vanishing point and dialog 3?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is it the price or the pen itself that turns you off of either of those options?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I own a VP that has a very.. fidgety nib. I've also used a Lamy safari that gets scratchy after a week (even replaced the nib). Not sure if the dialog 3 would have the same issue. If there are other options available, I'm open to suggestions!

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What size nibs are you using on the capless and safari?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

MohShuvuu posted:

Are there any capless options besides the vanishing point and dialog 3?

Hermes Nautilus. You won’t like the price, probably, but it’s an utterly mesmerising pen

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's too bad the Pen Habit is shutting down, but not all that surprising given how infrequent he'd gotten with his updates. Even so, I'll miss Matt's reviews because they just looked better than most everyone else's, plus I knew him back in high school and he's a good dude.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I’m at the Chicago show if any of you are here.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Kessel posted:

Hermes Nautilus. You won’t like the price, probably, but it’s an utterly mesmerising pen

That's made by Pilot though, so I don't think it helps him much. Definitely mesmerizing all the same!

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Goddamn, my Carene's feed still smells of KWZ Honey six months later, a little puff of sweetness every time I open the pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I'm not actually sure if it's a broken VP or not, but the nib moves around a bit when I write with it, so it's very awkward to write with. Something like a retractable metro would be perfect.