Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think noah's notes will ever compare to dr. stone for as long as noah is bad and senku is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of We Can't Study - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bokutach...-Them?id=418067

Also contains the results of the first character popularity poll. Sensei is #1.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Water is wet.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Water is wet.

Rizu was robbed. :colbert:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm surprised Rizu was in 4th, I'd have guessed her and Furuhashi would be switched.

Also, Sense is great and all, but Uruka better get the win in the end.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man the death-stares were in full effect today.

Also all the girls are equally great. Except for Uruka who is better than the rest.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

JosephWongKS posted:

Also contains the results of the first character popularity poll. Sensei is #1.

Which is correct, but also disturbing, as Japanese readers actually selecting the best character in a poll is a sign of the breaking of the 5th seal.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Boy goes on a quest after living with undead family since childhood.

https://mangadex.org/manga/24651/saihate-no-paladin

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

I've been reading this and it's real interesting.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Alder posted:

This is really good, and I'm mad there isn't one more chapter out so I can find out WHY he was raised by a bunch of undead at an isolated temple.

I like how it avoids bringing in literal video game mechanics, it drives me crazy how isekai always do that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What, you don't enjoy pages and pages of the MC finding out how the leveling and skill system works, and figuring out a way to arbitrarily break the system in a way that no one has ever done before?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
by jove i've got it! i just have to grind on monsters like an 8 year old playing dragon quest!

everyone else: how did this amazing person get so strong?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
It's actually kind of weird that some power fantasies are of monotonous grinding. it's like the most boring way to be powerful there is

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't get to isekais by being innovative, you follow the true and tried route of "GET HIT BY TRUCK."

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You don't get to isekais by being innovative, you follow the true and tried route of "GET HIT BY TRUCK."

EDIT: loving double post.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the second post was simply inspired by the first one

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Slime posted:

It's actually kind of weird that some power fantasies are of monotonous grinding. it's like the most boring way to be powerful there is

I mean that's basically what working out is.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a surprising number of Asian novels where it's "I just steal this idea that someone else had and sell it as my own" and I'm like, is that culturally aware or just really sad that the limits of their imagination and dreams are pretending you did the cool thing someone else already did first?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the hunger games was wildly successful so i don't really blame anyone for stealing an idea

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mulva posted:

There's a surprising number of Asian novels where it's "I just steal this idea that someone else had and sell it as my own" and I'm like, is that culturally aware or just really sad that the limits of their imagination and dreams are pretending you did the cool thing someone else already did first?

yeah because this is a thing only the foreign exotic Asians do

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Like imagine if that scene from Back to the Future was instead 300 other movies released shortly after, and also that was literally the entire story. It carries over to a lesser extent in all works though, where there are a bunch of novels that are "Basically a dude playing dota but real", or "Literally we just give everyone World of Warcraft or some other video game moves even though it's nominally a fantasy world". It's not even the "Vaguely inspired by LotR" or whatever school of hackery, it's just literally "This is the exact thing from that other work, but in this novel". It'd be like if some dudes fantasy novel just said "And then Legolas came in", without even the pretense of changing his name or making him a different color.

I suppose it makes more sense acknowledging that 99% of is just jumped up fan fiction, rather than the 40% or so you get in the west.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Futaba Anzu posted:

Giving short shrift to IP rights and blatantly ripping off other people's ideas is something I have seen called an essential part of Chinese culture by Chinese people making presentations on IP in China at an academic conference, and who were arguing that it needs to be an accepted practice in international commerce. Copying is a thing that happens everywhere, but China really does take it to the next level.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mulva posted:

A good (from what I've read anyways) twist on this was this manga about this Japanese guy (who I think was in a Beatles cover band IIRC) who is sent back in time to right before the Beatles became big. He actually becomes torn over the ethics of becoming famous from stealing their music, and the way he rationalizes it (which actually made a lot of sense) was "If I release a bunch of Beatles music, the Beatles will then come up with different music instead."

I need to find that manga and see if more has been translates, since it's been a long time since I last read it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

A good (from what I've read anyways) twist on this was this manga about this Japanese guy (who I think was in a Beatles cover band IIRC) who is sent back in time to right before the Beatles became big. He actually becomes torn over the ethics of becoming famous from stealing their music, and the way he rationalizes it (which actually made a lot of sense) was "If I release a bunch of Beatles music, the Beatles will then come up with different music instead."

I need to find that manga and see if more has been translates, since it's been a long time since I last read it.

We Are the Beatles

https://mangadex.org/manga/897/boku-wa-beatles

Looks like someone has been updating it regularly. Last one was less than a day ago.

Also you never think about it because they're so famous and important, but "The Beatles" is an incredibly bad pun name. Just terrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Slime posted:

I mean a ton of them are heavily influenced by video games and that poo poo is mmo 101

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Slime posted:

People aim for the simple joys in life. Also, nothing quite like working at one aspect that will level up due to grinding vs pour all your hopes into RNG IRL.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Caught to Kimetsu no Yaiba. Lot of funny chapters and now a double-pronged attack by not one but two Upper Moons. Also a side character I thought had died literally at the start of the series came back and he had the bright idea to literally just put the demon-destroying iron into a shotgun.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Noah's notes part 5

It's still pretty generic, but this was pretty good if you ask me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mulva posted:

I believe someone (might have been Endorph? can't really remember) explained that a lot of these works are adapted off web novels on sites that specifically host that stuff? And then the popular ones become light novels and mangas and whatnot.

I think it's like fan fiction, except instead of copying the entire setting, you just take the basic concept and put your own twist on it and write it. I think a good deal of people writing them are kids, too?

Fabricated posted:

Caught to Kimetsu no Yaiba. Lot of funny chapters and now a double-pronged attack by not one but two Upper Moons. Also a side character I thought had died literally at the start of the series came back and he had the bright idea to literally just put the demon-destroying iron into a shotgun.

I don't ever recall Angry Mohawk McGuns being in a situation where he'd die? He was one of the dudes who passed the test, and then you see him halfway through the series being a dick to Tanjirou.

He shows up once more at the end of the same arc, next to one of the Pillars reacting to Rengoku's death.

He's also probably related to the Wind Pillar.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean a ton of them are heavily influenced by video games and that poo poo is mmo 101

the dumbest ones are ones that actually are mmos and are still treated as incredibly important

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Hate-Senpai posted:

I believe someone (might have been Endorph? can't really remember) explained that a lot of these works are adapted off web novels on sites that specifically host that stuff? And then the popular ones become light novels and mangas and whatnot.

I think it's like fan fiction, except instead of copying the entire setting, you just take the basic concept and put your own twist on it and write it. I think a good deal of people writing them are kids, too?

Here's the link.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New Noah's Notes.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/noah-s-notes/en/0/5/page/1

Still liking the series so far, and the best of the latest 3. Jujutsu Kaisen was picked up by a scanlator but it's pretty slow-going. Ziga has apparently zero interest.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Danke for that.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Ratman was pretty dope despite its sub-par translation. Jackies were the best part of the ending.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen got a bunch of chapters translated.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/series/jujutsu-kaisen/

Violent for sure but still pretty bland.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like it well enough

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ogata's friend chapter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad Nariyuki supports the otp. Hang in there Sekijou.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dexo posted:

Ogata's friend chapter.

I like this chapter and I'm firmly in the Ogata with Sekijou camp.
Oddly it feels like the "story" has made progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Didn't really care much about that last panel. But the things leading up to it were really sweet :3