Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Hit me up sometime if you're ever over that way or out by Manchester airport.

Here's the route we did. I'd recommend it, as it hits some awesome roads and sections (Horseshoe pass is amazing with the amount of elevation change you do.) And stop in Bala, there's a dope icecream store by the lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
drat I need to take a ride through Wales at some point.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I didn't have enough projects, so I spent most of the day picking up up a new one:

2005 Ducati 800 SuperSport that has had a hard life. Have the lovely cracked fairings, a second set of wheels, spare starter, and a new starter sprag clutch (the reason it was taken off the road). Those are Leovince cans, it has a Power Commander 3, and... those are Superbike forks / shock and calipers. Some nice parts on this poor, abused bike.

Gonna be a fun project. :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those are one of those bikes that are much more than the sum of their parts. They're pretty much just a heavy monster with ugly bodywork stuck on but my word are they magical as a real world sport bike.

Are you going to street fighter it?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Slavvy posted:

Those are one of those bikes that are much more than the sum of their parts. They're pretty much just a heavy monster with ugly bodywork stuck on but my word are they magical as a real world sport bike.

Are you going to street fighter it?

That's always been my feeling about them, yeah. They're kind of weird-looking, kind of mid-road from a specification perspective, and kind of waaaaaaay more fun to ride than they should be.

I don't want to make it a streetfighter, my Monster pretty much has that aesthetic covered. I want to make it a great example of an 800SS, I think. The fairings are turbofucked though.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That's a wonderful project to pick up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

That's always been my feeling about them, yeah. They're kind of weird-looking, kind of mid-road from a specification perspective, and kind of waaaaaaay more fun to ride than they should be.

I don't want to make it a streetfighter, my Monster pretty much has that aesthetic covered. I want to make it a great example of an 800SS, I think. The fairings are turbofucked though.

In that case I'd suggest rustling up the biggest top end you can find, I know of one that has a frankenmotor with 1100 jugs and some other stuff, having all that insane torque in a faired sporty bike makes for a really unique experience. The air cooled motor is fairly straightforward to work on; being belt drive it's super easy to swap top ends.

Carbs are a prick though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HandlingByJebus posted:

I didn't have enough projects, so I spent most of the day picking up up a new one:

2005 Ducati 800 SuperSport that has had a hard life. Have the lovely cracked fairings, a second set of wheels, spare starter, and a new starter sprag clutch (the reason it was taken off the road). Those are Leovince cans, it has a Power Commander 3, and... those are Superbike forks / shock and calipers. Some nice parts on this poor, abused bike.

Gonna be a fun project. :D

I think I remember seeing this bike on Craigslist for a couple weeks. Seattle area? Enjoy the project, I've got a pulley tool if you need to borrow one.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

I think I remember seeing this bike on Craigslist for a couple weeks. Seattle area? Enjoy the project, I've got a pulley tool if you need to borrow one.

That’s the one, yup. I’m both more excited and more horrified every time I look at it (ex. the nice parts are nice; there are bolts missing from the engine covers on both sides and at least one of the valve covers; literally everything inside the fairings {including the insides of the fairings} is coated in oil from what I assume is massive blowby combined with the open breather).

I just did the clutch and flywheel on my 696, so I’m covered for the puller tool - thanks though!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

It's mine! £850 :toot:

Suspension is very soft, but I'll get used to it. Only issue is it's apparently stalling out under 2000rpm once the engine is hot, which I gather is an indication the valve spacing needs adjustment.

Cold starts fine, lights are all there, rubber and final drive are all fresh. Nicked once some time ago so the key to start is different than to open the seat, but any damage seems to have fixed up very well. Comes with spare carbs too, so I look forward to learning how to maintain those without having take the bike apart.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh my god that bike is amazing. I'm so glad you got it. Post lots of pictures of it when you take it places. Those are pretty indestructable bikes. Definitely do the valves, since they probably haven't been done for a while. Congrats on your deal and fantastic biek.

edit: Re: Suspension- Pop a cheapo ($40~) used 2nd gen ninjette rear shock in there off ebay. It does wonders.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's mine! £850 :toot:

Suspension is very soft

When was the fork oil changed the last time? If it's unkown change it asap. People never change it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Coydog posted:

edit: Re: Suspension- Pop a cheapo ($40~) used 2nd gen ninjette rear shock in there off ebay. It does wonders.

Would that be like the upper one in this image?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It looks like it is, but I can't recall for sure. Basically, if it comes off a 2008-2012, you are golden. It bolts right in and is an easy 20 minute job. Your wheel will almost touch the ground on the center stand afterwards, but it's worth it.

With good tires and that rear shock, I could rail it in the twisties loaded down with a month of camping gear. It's that good.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

It looks like it is, but I can't recall for sure. Basically, if it comes off a 2008-2012, you are golden. It bolts right in and is an easy 20 minute job. Your wheel will almost touch the ground on the center stand afterwards, but it's worth it.

With good tires and that rear shock, I could rail it in the twisties loaded down with a month of camping gear. It's that good.

Just watch out for corn in the road

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Slavvy posted:

In that case I'd suggest rustling up the biggest top end you can find, I know of one that has a frankenmotor with 1100 jugs and some other stuff, having all that insane torque in a faired sporty bike makes for a really unique experience. The air cooled motor is fairly straightforward to work on; being belt drive it's super easy to swap top ends.

Carbs are a prick though.

It's an '05 - injected.

I had been looking at swapping 1100 jugs onto my 696, but that's more complex - good call doing that here, that would be... fun.

:getin:

fakeedit: the amount of oil residue inside the fairings / on everything inside the fairings suggests a fuckload of blowby... maybe I'll just buy a $1,300 1100 engine from eBay and call it a day.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I commute a lot on my bikes. On the SV I tend to ride one handed a lot.

Turns out I lean off the bike when I do that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You should even that up somehow. Perhaps with some kind of belt sander? :v:

tjones
May 13, 2005
The crown of a road will do that too.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

omg I love that you still have the stock exhaust. gently caress the haters, I love quiet bieks.

Still bouncing around the idea of ripping out the power commander and my ~*full m4 race exhaust system*~ on my SV. I love the suspension but I hate that it's loud and hate that I can't put bags on it with this dumb high mount pipe. :bahgawd:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Stock exhaust on the SV is laaaaaaame. I had a yosh without baffles and it was perfect. I’d imagine with the baffles it’d be perfect for a curmudgeon such as yourself.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lies! You were running NASCAR tracks again.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

omg I love that you still have the stock exhaust. gently caress the haters, I love quiet bieks.

Still bouncing around the idea of ripping out the power commander and my ~*full m4 race exhaust system*~ on my SV. I love the suspension but I hate that it's loud and hate that I can't put bags on it with this dumb high mount pipe. :bahgawd:

I will gladly trade you my stock SV exhaust. Even swap, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Small admission: that’s a gutted factory exhaust. It’s snarlier than the stock exhaust but not nearly as crazy loud as a full race pipe.

At the end of the day I like quiet bikes too, and my other 3 bikes have the factory exhausts on them, baffles intact. The SV just sounds sooo good though, I have to let it sing a bit.

A de-baffled stock exhaust is great for “I want to hear the engine but I don’t want my neighbors to hate me”

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How does one "debaffle" the factory exhaust?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Took the plunge and bought a 2011 BMW F800 TS. I had never ridden a BMW before and I am quite impressed! It doesn’t feel as responsive as my FZ1 was but it feels even more comfortable. Now I have to wait 2+ weeks for the dealership to get the bike registered with the Swiss authorities and get the autobahn placard. It’s going to be interesting switching from American roads to the smooth and well maintained Swiss and German highways.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Some italian country roads on sunday in 75 degree weather, just riding alone and listening to music.

I hate you.

I to this day still regularly get super mad/sad that my training/deployment schedule kept me from getting my license until after I ETS'd from Vicenza.

edit: for actual content my March Gloucester run when I broke the bike out of hibernation earlier this year:

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 9, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MetaJew posted:

How does one "debaffle" the factory exhaust?

Drill it out and pull. I don’t really know because I found mine pre-de-baffled on Craigslist for super cheap. I wanted to gut the baffle on mine but I didn’t want to irreversibly mod it in case I didn’t like it.

Then a gutted stock exhaust in pristine condition along with a whole big box of random 2G SV parts popped up on Craigslist for $50 and I couldn’t say no.

Turns out I do like it, and now my fully intact stock exhaust collects dust in my garage.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Loud exhausts are for tools :colbert:.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
quiet exhausts are for cucks

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I found my buddy's FZ-07 with an Akrapovic exhaust to be annoying after I had been on the freeway for a while (forgot ear plugs too), but at least he recently bought an insert to quiet it down. I'd be embarrassed to have a super loud bike then run into another bike with significantly more power that's half the volume.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

I found my buddy's FZ-07 with an Akrapovic exhaust to be annoying after I had been on the freeway for a while (forgot ear plugs too), but at least he recently bought an insert to quiet it down. I'd be embarrassed to have a super loud bike then run into another bike with significantly more power that's half the volume.

its called riding a harley

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Stealthy bikes own.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

Loud exhausts are for tools :colbert:.

This.

Razzled posted:

quiet exhausts are for cucks

Also This.

Chris Knight posted:

Stealthy bikes own.

DEFINITELY this.

I think there is a happy medium between "FMF without the insert" and "Stock boat anchor". And, for me, it depends on the bike and application.

DR650 had the fmf and it was awful. Big GSXR pipe now has a nice grunt but is quiet.
Hawk has the supertrapp that is actually not that loud, and has that nice middle tone
Grom has the stock exhaust and the intake is way louder. Good and stealthy.

My WR250X was deafening with the FMF and fun to blast around on but I'm sure I was a total jerkoff and it was definitely too loud to live with.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

its called riding a harley

Touché

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I had a super stealthy fz6 and then the loving loudest r1 ever. Lane splitting was 10x easier on the r1 because people actually heard me. ~loud pipes save lives~ is a real thing imo. However as sometimes i wish i could just flip a loud or quiet mode on my Tuono, like on a long camping trip, but I love that it sounds like an 11k rpm rockey harley.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Voltage posted:

Lane splitting was 10x easier on the r1 because people actually heard me. ~loud pipes save lives~ is a real thing imo.
:munch: Looks like I returned to CA just in time...when do we start talking about synthetic oil?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crayvex posted:

:munch: Looks like I returned to CA just in time...when do we start talking about synthetic oil?

gently caress off and wait your turn, countersteering is next in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
But I want a bike I can grow into and not get bored of.