Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

stealie72 posted:

Got it. Buy a Metro. Ordered another color Metro today so I can have two ink colors at once, along with a smattering of $2 pens from China

That's sort of what I figured. I love old stuff but something is always dry rotted, burned out, or otherwise in the way of a thing working. I will still end up with old pens, though. Because I can't help myself.

After a couple years of FPing hard, find I prefer my Metros over pens that cost me three times as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
To revise my statement: definitely do buy vintage, but wait a year.

My original silver Metro is getting pretty beat up. First pen I ever bought. It's got knicks and dings and dents all over it now, inexplicable scuffs in the finish, and yesterday I dropped the cap while trying to juggle four bags of saline and my order book up against a wall at work so now it doesn't cap quite right and doesn't make that extremely satisfying pop. I'm looking at the Cocoon as another pen but the only difference I can see is that it's titanium and comes in better colors. Anybody have one?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Got it. Buy a Metro. Ordered another color Metro today so I can have two ink colors at once, along with a smattering of $2 pens from China

That's sort of what I figured. I love old stuff but something is always dry rotted, burned out, or otherwise in the way of a thing working. I will still end up with old pens, though. Because I can't help myself.

The vast majority of my pens are vintage and most of them write just fine. Before you know what you're doing (and don't worry, one day you will!) you can stick to buying from established dealers with a warranty. I've personally had good experiences with gopens.com and penamie.co.uk, and I'm sure others in the thread will have good things to say about big names like Main Street Pens, Indy Pen Dance and the like.

Eventually you'll be able to evaluate pens from blurry auction pictures and figure out which ones are more likely to work. Better yet, you might be able to spot pens that are marked down for a problem that you know how to fix, and score a bargain like that. But that's all in the future - there's no rush!

quote:

I'm looking at the Cocoon as another pen but the only difference I can see is that it's titanium and comes in better colors. 

I don't think it's titanium. Cocoon is just the name that the Metro/MR is sold as in Japan, and they have some different colors.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You guys Platinum nibs are the shiiiiitttt

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Heath posted:

To revise my statement: definitely do buy vintage, but wait a year.

My original silver Metro is getting pretty beat up. First pen I ever bought. It's got knicks and dings and dents all over it now, inexplicable scuffs in the finish, and yesterday I dropped the cap while trying to juggle four bags of saline and my order book up against a wall at work so now it doesn't cap quite right and doesn't make that extremely satisfying pop. I'm looking at the Cocoon as another pen but the only difference I can see is that it's titanium and comes in better colors. Anybody have one?

It's not titanium. It's identical to a Metro but in different, more "professional" paint colours.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I misread, the color is titanium. That's kind of a load.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That post about having such a digital life reminded me of how I'm trying to come to grips with my new job. I used to have an office job with all the paper, folders, note-taking, and pens I could ever want. I brought a couple of my fountain pens to work just to jot things down with and doodle in my free time. It was nice.

Now, I'm in a call center. They have a "clean desk policy." There is nothing on my desk. No paper or writing utensils allowed, period. I have to use Notepad and sticky notes on my computer desktop to remember anything important. We can have a small whiteboard-- as long as it gets erased every time we leave the desk. Since we share desks, we can't leave anything there between shifts.

I don't know what to do with myself! It's madness! I'm making excuses at home to write stuff with my pens because that's the only time I ever get to use them. Our grocery lists have become amazing and beautiful, sure, but I need another outlet!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bring a pad and a fountain pen anyway gently caress em

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Just gotta say, gently caress Greg minuskin.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Trustworthy posted:

Especially since iznogood stopped waking up every morning and throwing a new Lamy 2k down the garbage disposal, or into a dog's mouth, or under a steamroller. :cheeky:

Well!! I've been thinking about buying a new 2000 so I might drop another one on the floor soon!! !

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MoraleHazard posted:

Also, your post makes me glad I'm older and work in insurance. I still take paper notes for meetings and hand-write out to do list. I've found hand writing notes, even with a lovely ballpoint, helps with memory retention compared to using OneNote and some such.

Handwriting notes as I study is the only way I've been able to retain IT knowledge, both for the exams and for normal use. Doing so with a fountain pen lets me take notes for longer spurts of time.

I'd be studying for an Exchange 2016 cert if my company didn't decide to go to 2013, which I don't think has an exam available presently, but I still use daily journaling as an excuse for a humble fountain pen collection.

Pixelante posted:

After a couple years of FPing hard, find I prefer my Metros over pens that cost me three times as much.

I keep wanting an excuse to get a red or orange Metro. I already have a red pen that I love to death because it's a Ferrari pen (and the only Ferrari I'll ever own) but Metros just get that perfect balance of dense feel in the hand, weight placement, and smoothness. Plus Metro F = European EF, which is good for us poor-handwriters stuck with recycled paper. I haven't gone orange simply because after sampling a bunch of orange inks, I just don't really like any of 'em.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I really like my Metros as well and I always keep a few lying about. I have one at work in case I forget my nicer FP's, and use Metros almost exclusively if I have to get on a plane. Writing with one isn't as nice as writing with a gold nibbed pen, but it's drat close. That said, they're a little small for my hands. If they were 10% - 15% bigger, they'd almost be the perfect pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MMmmm. That's good knockoff

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

grack posted:

MMmmm. That's good knockoff

Of what? I really like it.

Grack - forgive if you've covered this before but where do you store everything? I have a little case but I'm pretty much out of space now. Haven't figured out a good ink solution either.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

teraflame posted:

Just gotta say, gently caress Greg minuskin.

New horror stories, or vintage recollections of his assholitude? Can't get enough of dat juicy pen drama...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lowness 72 posted:

Of what? I really like it.

Grack - forgive if you've covered this before but where do you store everything? I have a little case but I'm pretty much out of space now. Haven't figured out a good ink solution either.

Namisu Ixion. Given that you can't actually buy a Namisu Ixion, I have no issues buying the $25 copy (which is a good pen in it's own right).

I store stuff in zippered pen cases. I have a bunch of them at this point. I also found some cheap ($4) leather tablet cases with brushed linings that work well.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I had to google Greg Minuskin; yeah, issues.

I'm getting a FP for my brother for his 40th and I'm thinking something in the $50-$125 range and leaning toward the TWSBI 580 AL, which I have and like quite a bit. Any other suggestions.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Platinum 3776. It's in your price range on Amazon.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Newbie falling deep into this rabbit hole here. My excuse/psych 101 self-evaluation is that I'm a professional writer (and amateur history nerd) who has become completely disconnected from actually writing. The clacky mechanical keyboard was a good first step to reconnecting with the process, but the experience of longhand in interesting colors with a good pen has been revelatory.

Will a $5 PenBBS 309 make me happy as a first non-converter pen, or is the TWISBI worth 6x the price?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Namisu Ixion. Given that you can't actually buy a Namisu Ixion, I have no issues buying the $25 copy (which is a good pen in it's own right).

I store stuff in zippered pen cases. I have a bunch of them at this point. I also found some cheap ($4) leather tablet cases with brushed linings that work well.

Are you just typing incrementally higher numbers after PenBBS in search bars to find these things?

Apparently there isn't a PenBBS 351 yet.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

stealie72 posted:

Newbie falling deep into this rabbit hole here. My excuse/psych 101 self-evaluation is that I'm a professional writer (and amateur history nerd) who has become completely disconnected from actually writing. The clacky mechanical keyboard was a good first step to reconnecting with the process, but the experience of longhand in interesting colors with a good pen has been revelatory. ?

Hi longhand writing buddy! :cheers:

When writing books or short stories the ruthless editor in me can be my worst enemy—I’ll write a paragraph and then spend a half hour tweaking it before moving on. Then I’ll write a chapter, go a page into the next chapter, then go back and delete half the previous chapter and spend the rest of the day fiddling with it. Sometimes I’ll get hung up on one sentence for 20 minutes. I’m addicted to the backspace key.

I’m a fast typist and a slow writer, but I have discovered that if anything I write first drafts faster by hand, because I don’t have a backspace key and have no choice but to keep moving forward, and wait till I type it all up to start editing myself.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hi longhand writing buddy! :cheers:

When writing books or short stories the ruthless editor in me can be my worst enemy—I’ll write a paragraph and then spend a half hour tweaking it before moving on. Then I’ll write a chapter, go a page into the next chapter, then go back and delete half the previous chapter and spend the rest of the day fiddling with it. Sometimes I’ll get hung up on one sentence for 20 minutes. I’m addicted to the backspace key.

I’m a fast typist and a slow writer, but I have discovered that if anything I write first drafts faster by hand, because I don’t have a backspace key and have no choice but to keep moving forward, and wait till I type it all up to start editing myself.
Luckily my work-related writing is on the clock for clients, so I had to get rid of those habits very early on in this job. But I 100% understand where you're coming from, and am already enjoying the experience of having to think first, write second while doing anything in longhand. Even the grocery list was better organized yesterday because I had to think about where I wanted to write everything.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you just typing incrementally higher numbers after PenBBS in search bars to find these things?

Apparently there isn't a PenBBS 351 yet.

This blog has some good articles on Chinese pens. But it seems like lurking forums (and possibly taobao/eBay listings) is the best way to learn about the latest releases.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Newbie falling deep into this rabbit hole here. My excuse/psych 101 self-evaluation is that I'm a professional writer (and amateur history nerd) who has become completely disconnected from actually writing. The clacky mechanical keyboard was a good first step to reconnecting with the process, but the experience of longhand in interesting colors with a good pen has been revelatory.

Will a $5 PenBBS 309 make me happy as a first non-converter pen, or is the TWISBI worth 6x the price?

There are no $5 PenBBS pens. Sellers put really cheap items in to the listings along with the pens so they show up first when you search by price.

Also, given that I've had horrendous luck with TWSBI I'd go with the PenBBS 309 every time.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

grack posted:

There are no $5 PenBBS pens. Sellers put really cheap items in to the listings along with the pens so they show up first when you search by price.

Also, given that I've had horrendous luck with TWSBI I'd go with the PenBBS 309 every time.
Oops, I see this now. Sucked in like a chump.

mystes
May 31, 2006

grack posted:

This is the most annoying thing. Ebay needs to do something to stop this trick from working. Of course, amazon is also terrible about lumping together variants with different prices as well.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 9, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Lowness 72 posted:

Platinum 3776. It's in your price range on Amazon.

Whoa. Why is this pen so much cheaper on Amazon? I understand there's a premium on sites like Goulet but $100 less seems ridiculous?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sankis posted:

Whoa. Why is this pen so much cheaper on Amazon? I understand there's a premium on sites like Goulet but $100 less seems ridiculous?

The Japanese manufacturers enforce different prices in other markets vs the Japanese market, a lot of their pens are much cheaper in Japan, that includes many Pilot and Platinum pens, if you want something other than the 3776 the Pilot Custom 74 is around the same price as the 3776 on Amazon.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The prices in Europe are even higher for Japanese pens. I've always found it very strange that the three big Japanese makers have such an enforced disparity in pricing between markets. I mean, the only real difference (besides warranty) is the Japanese domestic market pens generally don't come with converters, but even that isn't true in all cases.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Japanese manufacturers enforce different prices in other markets vs the Japanese market, a lot of their pens are much cheaper in Japan, that includes many Pilot and Platinum pens, if you want something other than the 3776 the Pilot Custom 74 is around the same price as the 3776 on Amazon.

Sailor is even worse it seems like. I got my Imperial Black pro gear for like 250 off eBay compared to almost 500 msrp in the states.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

grack posted:

The prices in Europe are even higher for Japanese pens. I've always found it very strange that the three big Japanese makers have such an enforced disparity in pricing between markets. I mean, the only real difference (besides warranty) is the Japanese domestic market pens generally don't come with converters, but even that isn't true in all cases.

They're not the only ones -- take a look at European vs. US prices on Pelikans.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

atholbrose posted:

Pelikan is finally starting to address this with their most recent special edition models. Still a big price difference for the standard models though. Cult pens comes in at like less than half the US MSRP.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Pelikan is a bit of a different case. Their much higher prices in the US are because of their distributor, whereas the pricing disparity on Japanese pens is enforced by the manufacturers.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

grack posted:

Pelikan is a bit of a different case. Their much higher prices in the US are because of their distributor, whereas the pricing disparity on Japanese pens is enforced by the manufacturers.

Ah I didn't realize that.

I have to say I am really enjoying my platinum 3777. It's a broad nib so a little bigger than I'd like but I LOVE the feedback it has.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My KWZ Baltic Memories came in today. So far it is a very nice blue ink, I'm looking forward to using for goddamn ever since it's 60ml!

I'm right back online now looking at what I didn't get, namely Grey Plum and El Dorado.

Also, I misjudged how large the Rhodia 21cm x 29.7cm booklets are... this is twice in a row that I've mistakenly ordered too-large paper!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I think we’re opening up online orders for those pen cases I was talking about on May 13. I’ll post here again when we do as quite a lot of goons were interested.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yet another newbie question:

Got an ink sampler from Goulet, and in their little vials, some of the inks (Diamine Bilberry, to pick the one closest to me doing it) are not at all coating/sticking to the sides of the vials and almost seem to be repelled by the plastic. Others, (for example the Iroshizuku Take-Sumi) have pretty much stained the sides of the vials. Is this happening through some dark magic of chemistry that means nothing, or are the inks that are coating the vials just more "sticky" and less wet? Are the ones that coat going to dry on paper faster and/or be more water/color/life fast?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 38 minutes!
Fountain pen inks are water-based.

Different brands have varying amounts and types of wetting agents added to make them wetter than pure water. Pure water doesn’t flow out of the pen and onto the paper very well.

Wetting the vial is probably somewhat correlated with “wetness” in relation to writing, but I wouldn’t read much into it.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The pen cases are up :supaburn:

How do we get the goon discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

404notfound posted:

The pen cases are up :supaburn:

How do we get the goon discount?

STAIRS at checkout! Straight 10 per cent off.