Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

Could you elaborate for someone who hasnt read the book?

Read the book. It's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

But then I'd spoil these awesome webisodes that come out once every couple of months.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

But then I'd spoil these awesome webisodes that come out once every couple of months.

He's skipping tons of the book.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AndyElusive posted:

But you’ll get a ton more story, more dialogue, and just general awesomeness. Like Yarrick just staring a space marine into submission.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Just finished the first Ravenor book. Holy hell that was awesome.

The entire Carnivora sequence was so well done I need a miniseries of this just for that. Stat.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mythicknight posted:

Just finished the first Ravenor book. Holy hell that was awesome.

The entire Carnivora sequence was so well done I need a miniseries of this just for that. Stat.

I think it's called Necromunda?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a real shame. He spent so much time and effort on the whole Oberon facility sequence that it's incredibly sad to see him rush through two of the books best sequences in the span of like 4 minutes. I get that this series is a lot of work but if he's not able to put in the time required anymore he should just say so and end it, this is just sad and crippling loss of the quality that's held up the series to this point.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zahar still came across as the ultimate badass that she is.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

Read the book. It's worth it.

Is Helsreach the book part of a series or stand alone?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D-Pad posted:

Is Helsreach the book part of a series or stand alone?

It's part of the "Space Marine Battles" series technically, but it's a stand-alone book. There's a sequel novella called "Blood and Fire" as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nowadays Helsreach and Blood and Fire are bundled in the omnibus "Armageddon."

Off topic, but I can't help but see Larkin as some unholy combination of John Tams and Bill Nighy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 5, 2018

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nowadays Helsreach and Blood and Fire are bundled in the omnibus "Armageddon."

Off topic, but I can't help but see Larkin as some unholy combination of John Tams and Bill Nighy.

I coan only ever see him as a more manic John Hurt.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

mllaneza posted:

Zahar still came across as the ultimate badass that she is.

If I hadn't read the book I don't think I would have known what was going on in the entire Titan sequence.

Read the book everyone! The web series is good, but the book is great.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I found my old copy of Salvation! I know that C.S. Goto is Considered Harmful lovely but I really like this Necromunda story.

:woop:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 5, 2018

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to move and I want to lighten the load by giving away some books to a good home. PM me you address and I'll send them out in the mail Monday/Tuesday.

The Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo Omnibus (Warhammer Fantasy)

The Macharian Crusade Omnibus

Overfiend (Space Marine Battles)

The Silent War (Horus Heresy)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Shroud posted:

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to move and I want to lighten the load by giving away some books to a good home. PM me you address and I'll send them out in the mail Monday/Tuesday.

The Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo Omnibus (Warhammer Fantasy)

The Macharian Crusade Omnibus

Overfiend (Space Marine Battles)

The Silent War (Horus Heresy)

I would love a book if they aren’t all spoken for..

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I would love a book if they aren’t all spoken for..

Macharian Crusade has been claimed - what would you like?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Shroud posted:

Macharian Crusade has been claimed - what would you like?

Robert Earl
The Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo (Warhammer Omnibus) pm my shipping address.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Finished First and Only and started Ghostmaker. I really wish Abnett did a better job fleshing out Tanith and the events leading up to it. Cause the impression given is that it's a planet about as large and dense as any American suburb based on the tragedy it suffers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Finished First and Only and started Ghostmaker. I really wish Abnett did a better job fleshing out Tanith and the events leading up to it. Cause the impression given is that it's a planet about as large and dense as any American suburb based on the tragedy it suffers.

It really is that sparsely populated. Apart from the short sequence actually set on Tanith, most of it is only told through memories of the guardsmen. It was barely an industrial world, though it did have some interstellar trade going on.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arcsquad12 posted:

It really is that sparsely populated. Apart from the short sequence actually set on Tanith, most of it is only told through memories of the guardsmen. It was barely an industrial world, though it did have some interstellar trade going on.

Yeah, logs or something?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, in flashback it seems that it's basically a planet that supplies expensive fancy wood to offworld bigwigs. Which... makes sense in 40k TBH.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Also lots of BL authors have major problems with the scale of the setting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah at that point Abnett hadn't quite got the handle on the setting that he later did with Necropolis, but even in that and in other people's stuff like Helsreach there's very little understanding of how the shape of a spire would actually affect an invasion and change combat beyond "the walls a real big".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Planets in grand sci-fi just function as individual small countries, or sometimes cities. It's a part of the form at this point.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What's the name for trucks that Abnett comes up with? Something 6 or 8 (depending on the number of wheels, one assumes?)

I think there might be a mention of it somewhere in Cain too?

I'm drawing up a TO&E for a regiment and I've realized that, other than the Goliath, I don't actually know the name of any non-armored Imperial vehicles.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Schadenboner posted:

What's the name for trucks that Abnett comes up with? Something 6 or 8 (depending on the number of wheels, one assumes?)

I think there might be a mention of it somewhere in Cain too?

I'm drawing up a TO&E for a regiment and I've realized that, other than the Goliath, I don't actually know the name of any non-armored Imperial vehicles.

Cargo 6/8/10

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Groetgaffel posted:

Cargo 6/8/10

:doh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
IIRC there are staff cars mentioned in Ghostmaker and The Warmaster too, as well as various armoured but unarmed utility variants of the Leman Russ and Chimaera hulls in the IA books.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Arquinsiel posted:

IIRC there are staff cars mentioned in Ghostmaker and The Warmaster too,

My officer bois roll everywhere in Command Sallies because: motherfuck your pavement.

Arquinsiel posted:

as well as various armoured but unarmed utility variants of the Leman Russ and Chimaera hulls in the IA books.

Yeah, my favorite chimera variant that’s been mentioned without being detailed has got to be the Samaritan.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 9, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

My officer bois roll everywhere in Command Sallies because: motherfuck your pavement.

Ah, following the Ciaphas school of transportation.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They weren't civilian tanks but Baneblade just tosses out Leman Russ and Chimera varients like I have Lexicanum open next to me while I'm reading.

Which I usually end up doing anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're mostly from the first Imperial Armour book really, with the exception of the Punisher.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, my favorite chimera variant that’s been mentioned without being detailed has got to be the Samaritan.

If this wasnt 40k I would of guessed that the Samaritan was a medical evac APC as that is the name of the British Army's battlefield ambulance based on the CRV(T) chassis (Scorpion light tank).

This being 40k it's probably the poison gas launcher version bringing aid to the heretic to bring them closer to the Big E

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

E: I've been reading the Flashman books which were listed somewhere as a big inspiration for Cain, and they are. Only with a lot more racism and raping? And I do "get" that Flashman is supposed to be a loving million years old and a remnant of his time and very explicitly not a hero and so forth, and I'm really enjoying the books, but goddamn. My rear end in a top hat is getting hella stronger from the clench I do each time he drops an n-bomb.

Bear in mind the Flashman books started out being written in the 70s, when casual racism etc wasn't quite such a big deal in a comedic setting (srsly check out some of the British TV from the time; the Black and White Minstrel Show was still just about a thing even). Also the raping gets toned down a bit, sort of...I think the character says the rape in the first book is the only time he's ever done it, but then there's some suuuper problematic questions along the lines of 'how much consent can a slave woman on a slave ship who doesn't speak English actually give to her captor' kind of thing.

So, uh. Yeah. Still pretty butt clenching.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also Cain is a legitimate hero. Flashman is meant to be a total bastard and coward. His only "heroic" trait is that he's rather good at swordfighting

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Foxtrot_13 posted:

If this wasnt 40k I would of guessed that the Samaritan was a medical evac APC as that is the name of the British Army's battlefield ambulance based on the CRV(T) chassis (Scorpion light tank).

This being 40k it's probably the poison gas launcher version bringing aid to the heretic to bring them closer to the Big E
Sadly it seems to just be a super-ambulance with room for 20 injured dudes and a full surgical theatre all crammed into a Chimaera hull via STC magic.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Foxtrot_13 posted:

This is what it's supposed to be.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

I think this is the Banewolf?

E:

feedmegin posted:

Bear in mind the Flashman books started out being written in the 70s, when casual racism etc wasn't quite such a big deal in a comedic setting (srsly check out some of the British TV from the time; the Black and White Minstrel Show was still just about a thing even). Also the raping gets toned down a bit, sort of...I think the character says the rape in the first book is the only time he's ever done it, but then there's some suuuper problematic questions along the lines of 'how much consent can a slave woman on a slave ship who doesn't speak English actually give to her captor' kind of thing.

Is this why the royals still think it's the height of humor humour :eng101: to show up for parties dressed as Nazis?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 10, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

feedmegin posted:

Flashman isn't a "the 70s were a different time" thing. He's supposed to be an absolute monster, he's a stand in for rapacious British imperialism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I read The Inquisition Wars because I wanted to see what the start of 40k writing was like and get into some old lore. gently caress Ian Watson forever and ever. Like is my ebook copy messed up or does it really just abruptly end after 700+ pages when the main character commits suicide by space marine, becomes a webway ghost, and is like "this is my life now" with no resolution to the plot whatsoever.

The writing style was weird and oftentimes jarring but seeing what the lore used to be like was pretty cool. Seriously though, gently caress that ending.