Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean let’s be real here we all like terrible books on some level otherwise we wouldn’t be here.

GRRM used to write good books. You know, around 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i like terrible books and i like good books. in some ways the utter trash is so much more satisfying

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
How many years has it been since ADwD?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

How many years has it been since ADwD?

It will be 8 years this July. The gap between Feast and Dance itself was only 6, for reference.

They rushed it out the door unfinished to squeak it out just before the first season of the show wrapped up in the hops that GRRM would at least finish Winds of Winter before the show got to it’s material. But we all knew something that Bantam didn’t: GRRM doesn’t write any more, so that was never going to happen.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That's fuuuuuuuckin' incredible

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmao I remember when GRRM was like "nah HBO won't pass me up" and like every single poster in here was saying oh no they're definitely going to pass him up

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lol remember when he stopped writing episodes for the show so he could focus on Winds

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

esperterra posted:

lol remember when he stopped writing episodes for the show so he could focus on Winds

you mean so he could focus on not writing those as well as everything else?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

so he could focus on football

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

esperterra posted:

He only wrote like one episode a season even at that, and stopped at season 4. Of the eventual 74 total episodes of Game of Thrones, GRRM only wrote 4 of them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Which in a way is really weird because editing already completed works is all he seems to occasionally do besides blog about football and browse grindr for new assistants now that Ty has that Expanse money.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nine-gear crow posted:

He only wrote like one episode a season even at that, and stopped at season 4. Of the eventual 74 total episodes of Game of Thrones, GRRM only wrote 4 of them.

That's why I find it so funny he stopped tbh. How hard is it to write one episode of television for a former television writer, for a show about his own book.

Conveniently when GRRM stopped consulting/writing an ep per season was when the show got bad .... :thunk:

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
I'm probably projecting, but I like to think he consciously stopped writing episodes after season 4 as he watched what they were doing to his story.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He's rich and old and dgaf anymore. Can't blame him.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

I'm probably projecting, but I like to think he consciously stopped writing episodes after season 4 as he watched what they were doing to his story.

I'd agree, but with more of a fit being thrown about how they didn't include Lady Stoneheart or made Bronn too important or some other bit of author ego than concern over quality. The guy edits Wild Cards, for God's sake.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm still salty about Lady Stoneheart. Now I can't even rely on the show to tell me wtf happens with Jaime, Brienne and Cat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

esperterra posted:

I'm still salty about Lady Stoneheart. Now I can't even rely on the show to tell me wtf happens with Jaime, Brienne and Cat.

Maybe not, but it's the best conclusion you're gonna get. I bet their end game will remain pretty much the same (maybe not Jaime because if the rumors are true Arya is gonna kill Cersei so unless she does it in the books looking like Bran or something I think Jaime is gonna ice her).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe not, but it's the best conclusion you're gonna get. I bet their end game will remain pretty much the same (maybe not Jaime because if the rumors are true Arya is gonna kill Cersei so unless she does it in the books looking like Bran or something I think Jaime is gonna ice her).

oh ffs

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:getin:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I always figured Jaime might ice her tbh, assuming he survives w/e Cat has in store for him. Either he ices her to fulfill the valonquar prophecy or Cersei doesn't die and is left miserable and poor and alone and completely batshit insane in the end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe she'll be gored by a bore and truly follow in Robert's footsteps.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe she'll be gored by a bore and truly follow in Robert's footsteps.

slippery

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

I always figured Jaime might ice her tbh, assuming he survives w/e Cat has in store for him. Either he ices her to fulfill the valonquar prophecy or Cersei doesn't die and is left miserable and poor and alone and completely batshit insane in the end.

I hope Jaime makes it through the series because he's my favorite character but I'm sure it will be Tyrion who makes it and Jaime who dies doing something heroic.

Jaime is definitely gonna kill Cersei though.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

I read the entire Dune and Wheel of Time series after I finished ADwD a few years ago. I was so hooked on ASoIaF that I wanted something else to pass the time before the new book came out, but then I ended up just liking those books so much more that I no longer care about GURM.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WoT's real drat good but boi does it drag in the middle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

esperterra posted:

The plan was for Jaimie to kill her because it's about as subtle as Jon's parentage.

Alternately, she'd have been killed by some random person with a "well they have an older sibling therefore..." handwave.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Reminder that Tommen is still alive in the books.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reminder that Tommen is still alive in the books.

So is marcyella

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sublimer posted:

I no longer care about GURM.

Be Free!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Born free
Free as the grease flows
Free as his waist grows
Born free
To not write a book

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

So is marcyella

So is Selmy....

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

So is Selmy....

ugh

syrio forel forever

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

theres a post credits scene in deadpool
its george martin he's signing a contract! with bluepillmen.com loving teens

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
wait did deapool 2 come out this weekend?

i can never get a date so it's mostly irrelevant to me

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.theonion.com/george-r-r-martin-promises-fans-the-winds-of-winter-1826115223/

Between this and politics I am pretty sure the Onion is a straight up news site instead of a humor one.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ZearothK posted:

https://www.theonion.com/george-r-r-martin-promises-fans-the-winds-of-winter-1826115223/

Between this and politics I am pretty sure the Onion is a straight up news site instead of a humor one.

After 2016, they had to pivot to remain relevant.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

I’ve got a Word document open
Clearly fake news

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sublimer posted:

I read the entire Dune and Wheel of Time series after I finished ADwD a few years ago. I was so hooked on ASoIaF that I wanted something else to pass the time before the new book came out, but then I ended up just liking those books so much more that I no longer care about GURM.

wait, you mean you didn't get part way through Heritics of Dune and become so profoundly disappointed that you put it down and refused to read another book?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blind Sally posted:

wait, you mean you didn't get part way through Heritics of Dune and become so profoundly disappointed that you put it down and refused to read another book?

There's only one more book after heretics you lazy poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There are no more books after God-Emperor.