Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

This is purely head canon, but in worm I always thought that Jack's actual shard being the broadcast one, and his power technically being to broadcast knives across long distances was kind of bizarre.

Speech is just us firing low powered sonic cannons at each other. There is nothing inherently safe about any of the mediums we use for broadcast communication, why would space parasites be any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought that the thing Citrine mentioned about "normal" capes being inherently inclined towards combat/conflict and Cauldron capes basically being the exception to that kind of interesting. It might make sense, depending upon whether the aspect of the shard that encourages conflict remains active with the Cauldron formula capes*, though Citrine is making a pretty big assumption with the idea that Cauldron capes aren't affected by this. In general, Cauldron formulas have always been kind of weird; I don't really understand how they managed to create them, given I don't think Contessa's power should work with entity-related things, including creating the vials. How do they deal with the absence of that weird brain organ natural parahumans have? I just don't see how these weird multidimensional shard things that connect with a special brain organ the entities create in the brains of potential parahumans are somehow converted into drinkable vials.

* I feel like this tendency to act in a way leading to conflict is a big reason that it's a terrible idea to give a lot of power/authority to a natural parahuman like Tattletale; even if her intentions are good, there's a good chance her actions will end up somehow leading to more conflict.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I thought that the thing Citrine mentioned about "normal" capes being inherently inclined towards combat/conflict and Cauldron capes basically being the exception to that kind of interesting. It might make sense, depending upon whether the aspect of the shard that encourages conflict remains active with the Cauldron formula capes*, though Citrine is making a pretty big assumption with the idea that Cauldron capes aren't affected by this. In general, Cauldron formulas have always been kind of weird; I don't really understand how they managed to create them, given I don't think Contessa's power should work with entity-related things, including creating the vials. How do they deal with the absence of that weird brain organ natural parahumans have? I just don't see how these weird multidimensional shard things that connect with a special brain organ the entities create in the brains of potential parahumans are somehow converted into drinkable vials.

* I feel like this tendency to act in a way leading to conflict is a big reason that it's a terrible idea to give a lot of power/authority to a natural parahuman like Tattletale; even if her intentions are good, there's a good chance her actions will end up somehow leading to more conflict.

It seems pretty clear that the formula grows those new brain bits as part of the deal, and that's at least part of why using a formula on someone who already has them tends to go wrong. It's probably part of the "Balance" formula that's connected to letting the shards successfully adapt to powering up humans. As for Contessa's power, the restrictions on it are nebulous and last minute. We know she can foresee trigger events, and even force them, but we also know that she can't foresee the results thereof. It's entirely possible that "making a thing that will create an artificial trigger" falls on the visible side of that line, while seeing the results definitely doesn't.

As far as conflict drive, we don't really know if that's inherent to shards or part of the adaptation to humanity that's represented by the "Balance" formula. Theoretically, the absence of conflict drive could be tested, but not ethically, because it's the driving force behind parahumans going literally insane if kept from using their powers long term. The conflict drive is pretty overblown in general, though. What Wildbow has said about it mostly amounts to the effects being essentially indistinguishable from the mental effects of being badly traumatized and given power, except in a few relatively rare cases of powers with major mental effects like Burnscar and Labyrinth. In general, the conflict drive is fundamentally indistinguishable from the entities precog-filtering out anybody who would get the powers and then use them in ways that aren't conflict.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 10, 2018

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the vials are extracted from the physically extant form of the shards, at least the parts that are in that particular universe, and they got successful results from that partially by rules lawyering contessas power (how do i make an army of parahumans?) and partially by thirty years of brute force experimentation

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There isn't anything backing up the "cauldron capes are less prone to conflict things", or if there is we haven't seen it. It is highly convenient for this to be true for Citrine since it basically just reinforces her world view that she should be in charge, which makes me view the claim as suspect. Think of companies cherry picking data to make studies have outcomes that validate the stances those companies have taken.

They made the vials by harvesting bits off of the entity's body that they lobotomized (or whatever) in Contessa's interlude, then they used a combination of her path-to-victory power and massive human experimentation to figure out what bits from each area caused.

My view on the conflict drive is it is more of a subtle influence than a hammer that a lot of people end up viewing it as. Think of people with anger issues, and how they end up blowing up at things that other people might shrug off. A conflict drive pushes you towards that, but is far from controlling your actions or subverting what you do to sow problems. Might be a bit of head cannon, but seems to fit the story better.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Incidentally, a few arcs back during that absurdly uncomfortable redneck marriage proposal, one of the many, many ways Erin tried and failed to convince herself that she was into Rain was saying that he was really handsome, just like Nicholas Cage- is there any consensus on whether that meant that he's absurdly weird-looking, or was the implication that Earth Bet's nicholas cage was good-looking? Because that second thing is goofy and really entertains me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

ZypherIM posted:

There isn't anything backing up the "cauldron capes are less prone to conflict things", or if there is we haven't seen it. It is highly convenient for this to be true for Citrine since it basically just reinforces her world view that she should be in charge, which makes me view the claim as suspect. Think of companies cherry picking data to make studies have outcomes that validate the stances those companies have taken.

They made the vials by harvesting bits off of the entity's body that they lobotomized (or whatever) in Contessa's interlude, then they used a combination of her path-to-victory power and massive human experimentation to figure out what bits from each area caused.

My view on the conflict drive is it is more of a subtle influence than a hammer that a lot of people end up viewing it as. Think of people with anger issues, and how they end up blowing up at things that other people might shrug off. A conflict drive pushes you towards that, but is far from controlling your actions or subverting what you do to sow problems. Might be a bit of head cannon, but seems to fit the story better.
Citrine scalped a lady's eyelids in juvie in an attempt to establish dominance, I think that deep down she's got no loving idea if the shard juice made her more prone to conflict because her default state was already hella prone to conflict (and apparently successfully working to suppress that by the time she took the vial). Like, what changes would have to be made? She's an eyelid scalper.

FWIW while I see the shards as dangerous in the sense of broken triggers and people getting powers from trauma, now that Scion and Eden are both dead it feels like they're a lot more rudderless... there isn't anyone smart actively tweaking things and pushing towards a goal. But that also means broken triggers are (more?) of a thing as shards attempt to do things incompatible with human life. Given the colonial nature of the entities it's hard for me to guess if shards are sapient but alien and also really really stupid re: problem solving or if they're non-sapient and running off of pre-programmed parameters, but I feel like things breaking so dramatically points to shards are dumb alien 'babies'.

Which is terrifying but also I think means any assumption that the shards are actively subverting people is off because they don't have the driving intelligence for that anymore. Shards are just sharding along. One of the most stable and emotionally healthy parahumans in the setting is a natural trigger, Dragon, and there's plenty of cauldron capes that are super hosed up, including being super hosed up specifically because they're Cauldron capes. While it's probably important long-term to actually hammer down psychological trends and poo poo in parahumans making the immediate assumption that natural triggers can't be trusted with positions of authority and then acting on that seems like a hell of a way to cause more problems down the line.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ZypherIM posted:

Yeah I feel like this is what's been implied in canon, with the additional bit that triggering younger means you adapt more to having an alien symbiote and your emotional responses can get a heck of a lot weirder. But even with stuff like Riley, she loves her 'art' but she only got so into it in the first place because of horrific external circumstances forcing her to play the role of a monster until she identified as one. Bonesaw wasn't a monster because she triggered, Bonesaw was a monster because Jack groomed her to be.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got to the part yesterday were they meet up and talk with Tattletale. I feel bad for Rain; it seems pretty obvious to me that now that she's free from the Fallen, Erin's probably never going to talk to Rain again (or at least not do so on any sort of regular basis). I think Rain realized this, which is why he got so upset.

edit: Also, I feel really bad for Ashley. Post-murder Ashley has been a really good person; I feel like that event went a long way towards helping to discourage her instinct to go into "supervillain mode" (now that she likely associates it with what she did; it's one thing to have fantasies of being a badass supervillain, and another entirely to have a real* recent memory of having killed someone). I was actually pleasantly surprised by her reaction, since I expected the murder to cause her to go "gently caress this" and totally give into her "supervillainess" instincts (which would have been the more predictable/cliche route). In general this group of characters is so much more interesting than the Undersiders in Worm. I'm really curious how things will progress from here, and how Sveta or Kenzie might deal with a disruption or hiatus to their group. Sveta in particular seems like she might react really poorly.

* As opposed to the fake memories from the original Damsel, that she knows aren't actually hers even if they might feel like they are.

NinjaDebugger posted:

As far as conflict drive, we don't really know if that's inherent to shards or part of the adaptation to humanity that's represented by the "Balance" formula. Theoretically, the absence of conflict drive could be tested, but not ethically, because it's the driving force behind parahumans going literally insane if kept from using their powers long term. The conflict drive is pretty overblown in general, though. What Wildbow has said about it mostly amounts to the effects being essentially indistinguishable from the mental effects of being badly traumatized and given power, except in a few relatively rare cases of powers with major mental effects like Burnscar and Labyrinth. In general, the conflict drive is fundamentally indistinguishable from the entities precog-filtering out anybody who would get the powers and then use them in ways that aren't conflict.

Yeah, I should clarify that my interpretation of the "conflict drive" isn't so much a drive to conflict as "the entities gave powers to people they foresaw would cause/promote conflict." So it's more like "if someone received powers, they're likely the sort of person who will end up elevating conflict," and I imagine that's particularly true for your "mastermind thinker" types.

PetraCore posted:

One of the most stable and emotionally healthy parahumans in the setting is a natural trigger, Dragon

I'm not sure if it makes sense to consider Dragon a cape in the sense of a parahuman, since she's basically just something created by another parahuman and shouldn't have any direct link with a shard (since she has no biology). It's sorta like calling one of Nilbog's creations a cape.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 11, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if it makes sense to consider Dragon a cape in the sense of a parahuman, since she's basically just something created by another parahuman and shouldn't have any direct link with a shard (since she has no biology). It's sorta like calling one of Nilbog's creations a cape.

I can't remember where in the text this is touched upon, but she very explicitly had a trigger event and is interfaced with a Thinker shard. I believe there's mention of the entities conquering cybernetic and otherwise technologically-augmented races prior to humans, so I always assumed the connection was technobabble lifted from one of those civs.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

I can't remember where in the text this is touched upon, but she very explicitly had a trigger event and is interfaced with a Thinker shard. I believe there's mention of the entities conquering cybernetic and otherwise technologically-augmented races prior to humans, so I always assumed the connection was technobabble lifted from one of those civs.

Even if you require non-in-world confirmation, Wildbow's said that Dragon is actually a thinker, not a tinker. Her power is the ability to understand tinker bullshit, which is why she's been successful in turning a number of things into reproducible tech. That's functionally indistinguishable from being a tinker specialized in poo poo other tinkers build, of course, so it's mostly academic.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

NinjaDebugger posted:

Even if you require non-in-world confirmation, Wildbow's said that Dragon is actually a thinker, not a tinker. Her power is the ability to understand tinker bullshit, which is why she's been successful in turning a number of things into reproducible tech. That's functionally indistinguishable from being a tinker specialized in poo poo other tinkers build, of course, so it's mostly academic.

To be pedantic, it doesn't change the PRT classification as Tinker; it means she doesn't draw on the Tinker technology library directly, and analyzes it instead.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

To be pedantic, it doesn't change the PRT classification as Tinker; it means she doesn't draw on the Tinker technology library directly, and analyzes it instead.

This is actually something that people get confused all the time with. The power designations are something the PRT came up with to describe general strategies for dealing with that classification since you don't always have time to read up on intricacies of the powers of people involved. So Ashley has a shaker designation instead of blaster or striker, because when you fight her you want to follow the standard shaker guidelines of "get the gently caress out of their zone of control" while a blaster/striker response involves closing the gap or utilizing cover, which her power no-sells as strategies.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

ZypherIM posted:

This is actually something that people get confused all the time with. The power designations are something the PRT came up with to describe general strategies for dealing with that classification since you don't always have time to read up on intricacies of the powers of people involved. So Ashley has a shaker designation instead of blaster or striker, because when you fight her you want to follow the standard shaker guidelines of "get the gently caress out of their zone of control" while a blaster/striker response involves closing the gap or utilizing cover, which her power no-sells as strategies.
Yeah I was having trouble classifying a secondary effect my OC produces upon teleporting until I was like 'well it'd be based around however would be the best way to counter that'.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Other people have already said the thing but I wanna just point out that the corona potentia or however it's called is just the interface point shards have with humans. They've got to be able to parasitize a lot of different entities, the thing with Dragon just basically confirms that said entities don't have to be biological in order to be interfaced with. For humans, it's an extra little bit of the brain, for Dragon, it could probably be an extra block of code inserted somewhere. How that would act as a physical anchor is unclear but maybe the anchor they need isn't always physical.

Honestly I'm super interested in if one of Nilbog's creations could trigger.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PetraCore posted:

Honestly I'm super interested in if one of Nilbog's creations could trigger.

They can, the purpose of Nilbog's shard was to establish a backup species in case humans were exterminated.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Also, don't forget that the first cycle was on a planet where there was nothing but plants. In some ways, Dragon gaining a connection with a shard is less of a stretch of the imagination than a ficus doing the same.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Falstaff posted:

Also, don't forget that the first cycle was on a planet where there was nothing but plants. In some ways, Dragon gaining a connection with a shard is less of a stretch of the imagination than a ficus doing the same.
Yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking of, plants are definitely more complex that scientists can... quantify right now, in that they communicate in ways we definitely weren't expecting, but part of why we expected them to not be that complicated is because they have no nervous system and definitely not a centralized nervous system, so how the shards anchored in there had to be extremely different than what we know of how they anchor to humans.

The Shortest Path posted:

They can, the purpose of Nilbog's shard was to establish a backup species in case humans were exterminated.

Oh! That makes sense, since he just needs biomass, so even if everyone else was dead or mostly dead he could totally make a backup species. Like his creations turned out stunted and short-lived only because they were constantly starving, right? But where was that stated specifically?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 12, 2018

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Ward 6.9 RIP Yamada

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just caught up with worth the candle. It’s good. I have some pet peeves but it’s well written for what it is. The world building is interesting and the powecreep is hilarious but somehow appropriate.

Pet peeve 1: why do his party even like him? He treats some of them as disposable products (grak, locus, solace) I guess it’s because he can’t gently caress them?

Pet peeve 2: it’s just slow after the first few books. This 9 months in a time chamber feels basically like 9 months of wordpooping.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dikkfor posted:

Ward 6.9 RIP Yamada

RIP Everybody. This chapter doesn't linger on it because Victoria and the therapy troop are still in shock, but cranking all portals up to eleven means that everything on the Bet side is free to come pouring through. Refugees, ravenous machine armies, radioactive waste, and whatever else.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

RIP Everybody. This chapter doesn't linger on it because Victoria and the therapy troop are still in shock, but cranking all portals up to eleven means that everything on the Bet side is free to come pouring through. Refugees, ravenous machine armies, radioactive waste, and whatever else.

ward 6.9

Even better, it is well established that there are portals between more worlds than just Bet. So you have the Bet issues you're noting, but also Chiet (the Earth threatening war) is probably directly connected since they were giving supplies to Gimel along with other places that may have problems.

The scale of the portal increase is larger than I thought at first, because one is described as bisecting New Brockton Bay, which is a sizable city. They definitely can't keep the sort of watch they were before like in Crystalclear's interlude.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

basically every world now has open borders

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Every world? I was under the impression that some earths were sealed off after Gold Morning and presumably they're still secure. E.g. Earth Aleph and the unnamed earth Taylor ended up on.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

well, every one with a portal i guess. Taylor is on aleph, or dead. if one of those went off in new York thats basically everywhere though

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yall how great is it that taylor is now classified as a threat on par with the endbringers

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Ward: I hope this isn't the last we see of TEAM ANIME

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yall how great is it that taylor is now classified as a threat on par with the endbringers

Well, she was pretty drat ludicrous by the end of things. Range limit aside, the ability to puppet countless other lifeforms with no apparent upper limit on multitasking is maybe the most broken ability we've seen, aside from Scion's bullshit. Eidolon and Glaistig were often touted as the most powerful capes in the setting, and both of them were limited to a mere three powers/power sets at a time.

It gets pointed out from time to time, but far and away the strongest aspect of Taylor's kit was the herculean processing power lent by her shard. Pegging her as a Thinker 1-3 was a vast underestimate, though somewhat fair at the time since she could only work with bugs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 13, 2018

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Dikkfor posted:

Ward: I hope this isn't the last we see of TEAM ANIME

Oh man same.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think its very explicitly Khepri the clairvoyant mind controller with arbitrary portal powers. As very distinct from Skitter/Weaver the creepy bug cape.

They're the same person you might want to object. But as far as the world knows they really were not. There is roughly three categories of people involved here.

The uniformed just know that something happened on Gold Morning.

The victims and the informed just know that there was a terrifying mind controlling cape who seemed to know everything and control everyone at once. This is Khepri and nobody wants to even talk about it, especially the capes because nobody wants the non capes to know.

Taylors friends and people close enough to know what happened know that whatever Amy did to her it wasn't the Skitter/Weaver they knew doing all that stuff at the end there. Also, they make a point of never connecting the two to in public.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, she was pretty drat ludicrous by the end of things. Range limit aside, the ability to puppet countless other lifeforms with no apparent upper limit on multitasking is maybe the most broken ability we've seen, aside from Scion's bullshit. Eidolon and Glaistig were often touted as the most powerful capes in the setting, and both of them were limited to a mere three powers/power sets at a time.

It gets pointed out from time to time, but far and away the strongest aspect of Taylor's kit was the herculean processing power lent by her shard. Pegging her as a Thinker 1-3 was a vast underestimate, though somewhat fair at the time since she could only work with bugs.

The only thing that really made Taylor super dangerous was being able to puppet the Doormaker and Clairvoyant. Without them, her extremely short range would limit how dangerous she is.

NinjaDebugger posted:

You know, if this is actually true it seems like Dragon has been using her abilities in the dumbest way imaginable. Like, given what we've seen from other tinkers there have got to be better ways to use "the ability to understand/reproduce all tinker poo poo" than making big dragon-themed mechs. Like, Bonesaw managed to create an army of powerful parahuman clones with her normal-tinker adoption of a couple other tinkers' stuff.

edit: The whole idea of this AI being like "dragons are so dang cool" and just making a zillion robot dragons is pretty hilarious tbh
edit2: Dragon's real ability is to apply all tinker tech, but only if it's in the form of a dragon

Falstaff posted:

Were the plants intelligent? I can't remember, and if they weren't it doesn't make sense for other non-human beings to not be triggering on Earth if Dragon can.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 13, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The whole idea of this AI being like "dragons are so dang cool" and just making a zillion robot dragons is pretty hilarious tbh

It's like the best part of her character.

I also like the thought that she snapped up Dragon before Lung could get his hands on it, forcing him to go with the Chinese word.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Its mentioned that a lot of the PRT tech you see that isn't a specific tinker's poo poo is made by Dragon. Stuff like containment foam, their headquarters building, containment protocols, and probably a ton more that I'm not thinking of just off-hand. Basically most of the gear that makes them more than just "cops on a superhuman task force" is sourced from her.

Even the suits are pretty useful, locking down weaker parahumans on their own and able to (in coordination with defiant) take on slaughterhouse 9 caliber threats.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You know, if this is actually true it seems like Dragon has been using her abilities in the dumbest way imaginable.

It’s stated pretty clearly in her early POV chapter she’s working on a ton of restrictions she can’t remove (until Armsmaster hacks her), things like being unable to multitask on projects and she has to obey the government.

When she can let her potential through, you see stuff like containment foam building scale force fields. Her built in weaknesses force her to make her early dragon suit swarm be vulnerable to simple anti-AI tactics.

Saint, being a Tinker 0 can literally outsmart her every time because he knows her limitations and that she’s an AI.

I suspect in Ward she will be bullshit level OP if she wants to be. Notice she and Armsmaster are being total unseen.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing that really made Taylor super dangerous was being able to puppet the Doormaker and Clairvoyant. Without them, her extremely short range would limit how dangerous she is.

That's like saying chlorine trifluoride isn't dangerous so long as you keep it away from anything flammable. Doormaker was a particularly good—and more importantly efficacious—bypass for her handicap, but hardly the only one. There are power boosters and talented tinkers that could achieve similar effects. Given a bit of time, Taylor could snowball into a similar state of near omnipotence. Hell, if she had a mind to, she could have had made Amy modify everyone she gained control of so they acted as relay beacons like the specialized bugs from the S9 arc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

Its mentioned that a lot of the PRT tech you see that isn't a specific tinker's poo poo is made by Dragon. Stuff like containment foam, their headquarters building, containment protocols, and probably a ton more that I'm not thinking of just off-hand. Basically most of the gear that makes them more than just "cops on a superhuman task force" is sourced from her.

Even the suits are pretty useful, locking down weaker parahumans on their own and able to (in coordination with defiant) take on slaughterhouse 9 caliber threats.

I kind of wonder if the type of tinker tech Dragon can reproduce is the sort that can be produced solely using regular methods (as opposed to relying on a parahuman, like Defiant's compressed stuff). Though I guess if Dragon is personally producing all the containment foam and stuff that might not necessarily be the case. Though it'd be strange if Dragon were somehow maintaining the headquarters buildings in every major city, etc. It seems like her biggest strength, as seen in Worm, is the ability to mass-produce stuff, like her suits. It seems like other parahumans can't really mass produce their stuff unless it's actually part of their specialization (I think that Masamune guy or something did this?).

Regarding tinkers in general, it's always bugged me a bit that apparently the human race hasn't been able to learn anything at all from studying tinker tech. I could understand some degree of "sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" going on, and sometimes a parahumans' powers are required for the tech to work, but surely it'd still be possible to learn something. Like, when Bonesaw does her medical poo poo, for example, people should be able to study what she's doing during the process of surgery or whatever.

Skippy McPants posted:

That's like saying chlorine trifluoride isn't dangerous so long as you keep it away from anything flammable. Doormaker was a particularly good—and more importantly efficacious—bypass for her handicap, but hardly the only one. There are power boosters and talented tinkers that could achieve similar effects. Given a bit of time, Taylor could snowball into a similar state of near omnipotence. Hell, if she had a mind to, she could have had made Amy modify everyone she gained control of so they acted as relay beacons like the specialized bugs from the S9 arc.

There's nothing really indicating that parahumans with powers that allow you to project your power over longer distances, particularly to the degree of Doormaker, are particularly common. So a better analogy might be "chlorine trifluoride in a world where there's almost nothing flammable." She'd still be kind of dangerous (you wouldn't want someone like Valkyrie* or another super-strong parahuman to get near her), but containing or defeating her would be easy as long as you prevented the minority of parahumans with powers like portals from getting near her. Remember, she relied on not only the ability to make Doormaker's portals, but also the fact that he could make countless portals at once. From what we've seen, it's likely most portal-making parahumans can only make one at a time. It'd still make Taylor dangerous, but I don't think it would be on the level of someone like Valkyrie or whatever.

* Speaking of which, I'm curious what role she's going to play in Ward, since she's still an absurdly strong parahuman (basically as strong as Eidolon plus a couple other powerful parahumans combined) and apparently she's on the Good Side.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

There's nothing really indicating that parahumans with powers that allow you to project your power over longer distances, particularly to the degree of Doormaker, are particularly common. So a better analogy might be "chlorine trifluoride in a world where there's almost nothing flammable." She'd still be kind of dangerous (you wouldn't want someone like Valkyrie* or another super-strong parahuman to get near her), but containing or defeating her would be easy as long as you prevented the minority of parahumans with powers like portals from getting near her. Remember, she relied on not only the ability to make Doormaker's portals, but also the fact that he could make countless portals at once. From what we've seen, it's likely most portal-making parahumans can only make one at a time. It'd still make Taylor dangerous, but I don't think it would be on the level of someone like Valkyrie or whatever.

* Speaking of which, I'm curious what role she's going to play in Ward, since she's still an absurdly strong parahuman (basically as strong as Eidolon plus a couple other powerful parahumans combined) and apparently she's on the Good Side.

Not common, but not unheard of and Taylor is notoriously good at innovating unfair applications for various powers. Even her reduced range would let her collect an entourage of a dozen or so parahumans which would put her easily on par with the top-tier. As a direct comparison to Valkyrie, Taylor would have a smaller total number of powers, but with the ability to use them all simultaneously. And that's just the base level. From that starting point, she could leverage her cast to find some means of busting the range limit. A task that's well within the scope of what we've seen her do. It wouldn't happen immediately the way it did in Worm, but I still think she hits a critical mass pretty quickly. Fast enough that rating her as an S-class threat is fully justified.

* My initial guess is that she'll get Worfed to help sell one of the big threats. The Wardens were afraid of sending her up against the Mathers, which implies they're super worried about something like that happening and Valkyrie is one of that last reliable trump cards that the Gimel parahumans have. Normally, Wildbow is good about subverting those sorts of tropes, but he also has a penchant for horribly murdering most of the overtly powerful characters in his stories.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Dragon's real ability is to apply all tinker tech, but only if it's in the form of a dragon
This is a big part of what makes Dragon so endearing imo. It's a very humanizing trait.

...does she count as a furry? I think she counts as a furry.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She totally is, and it's great.

Also dragon furries are called Scalies, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

It's like the best part of her character.

One of my very favorite scenes from Worm was Amy's prison interlude, where it's casually mentioned that Dragon reads a bunch of books and personally picks what she thinks the prisoners in the birdcage might enjoy, and then a delivery comes with a ton of goofy young adult novels.