Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

facepalmolive posted:

which plays into the poor UX design (in terms of the game communicating important info in a clean, succinct manner).
You just reminded me that in the very same game in which temporary stat modifications are now a mechanic on the level of importance of the weapon triangle, they didn't include the very simple thing of showing stats as Base + Modifier, which was in like ten games before this. No, you need to tap those on the touchscreen to see the breakdown. It's so annoying. Somehow the UI got worse from awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the ui changes will always be the most baffling part of fates to me. floating numbers are a huge mechanic, better... get rid of the floating numbers? awakening had them clearly visible on the bottom screen and it worked great just for keeping track of pair-up and stuff, iunno why fates made them so much worse. maybe with the increased emphasis on floating numbers they thought having every single stat constantly have a modifier was too intimidating for newcomers? but like, in that case, the solution is to not design the game around so many floating numbers.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

There was something that confused me about Fates' numbers too. Some weapons would just give a flat speed modifier that directly affected your stats. Like steel weapons just straight up subtracted your speed by 3, could see it in the UI and everything. But then there were other weapons that modified your speed...in combat. So you'd get +3 or w/e speed only while in battle, but...why..differentiate that? The speed formulas should have been the same, no skill used out-of-battle speed to calculate things, I want to say the AI would still realize it'd be going against a speed difference in battle (if it even matteered to them).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

attack speed only affects whether or not you double, speed affects whether or not you dodge as well. in addition, some weapons only reduce your speed when you're attacking, meaning that they don't increase your chances of getting doubled, only reduce your ability to double.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 12, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

attack speed only affects whether or not you double, speed affects whether or not you dodge as well. in addition, some weapons only reduce your speed when you're attacking, meaning that they don't increase your chances of getting doubled, only reduce your ability to double.

the latter seems effectively interchangeable, but I never noticed the dodge portion. I'm surprised it doesn't just use final speed for that, good to know if I ever go back to fates for some reason.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Speed is the most important stat for calculating your evasion, I'm surprised you didn't know that. I think in most FEs evasion is very simply 2x speed + 1x luck.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
in awakening and fates it's (speed*3+luck)/2

also fates did something to gently caress with true hit in a way that screwed dodge tanks from both ends of the street iirc

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Speed is the most important stat for calculating your evasion, I'm surprised you didn't know that. I think in most FEs evasion is very simply 2x speed + 1x luck.

my problem was assuming it used final speed, not base speed, and then just never noticing the dodge difference

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The weapon system in Gaiden/Echoes might honestly be the way to go moving forward. I'm not sure I liked shields but with weapons the clarity of UI might be worth the lack of weapon swapping mid battle.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Any word on FE switch?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

The weapon system in Gaiden/Echoes might honestly be the way to go moving forward. I'm not sure I liked shields but with weapons the clarity of UI might be worth the lack of weapon swapping mid battle.

Ugh, I would really dislike that. It was easily my least favorite aspect of Echoes and even Echoes couldn't actually commit to it considering how it handles mages.

It also introduces a lot of knock-on issues like completely removing classes being able to use multiple weapons etc.

Also simplifying is part of what made Echoes so goddamn boring to play.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 13, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

tithin posted:

Any word on FE switch?

There's a good chance they'll say a few words about it at E3.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Echoes was like that because gaiden was like that no other reason.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tithin posted:

Any word on FE switch?

You can marry your favorite FE character

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

TheKingofSprings posted:

Finally I can marry Bloom

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Marrying cynthia would make me feel very awkward

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

great, now i can marry the pink palette Neimi bonewalker I'm in love with from randomised sacred stones

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I can’t believe it took me almost a decade to realize the reason Brammiond looks like this

Is because he’s taking on Mark’s appearance

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've bought Awakening and started Hard/Casual playthorugh - I still typically reset if I lose an unit, but that way if it's at the end of a stage I can decide if I want to bother, and it still doesn't let me just throw my people at the enemies, since chipping damage is hardly worth it and they don't retain exp if they're killed before the end of a fight.

I know reinforcements don't move as soon as they appear in lower difficulty modes, and that killed one of my units in chapter 7 battle, but Normal is a bit too easy, and Lunatic I don't want to touch, so I'll have to manage - at least they warn you that there will be reinforcements, and they're not infinite.

The difficulty is weirdly balanced, though - random battles are typically 1.5 to twice my level and using tier 2 to 3 weapons, while story battles seem more balanced to no grinding. Still, since I can't really train many units, I ended up not using a few of them and so they end up more powerful than they should be, and the niche units lost that niche (I use Virion for the fliers, but mages with Elwind kill them better, and can still counterattack - so Virion is useful as a Pair-up unit, but they get range from the main unit, so everyone can Support Attack...).

The lack of Rescue commande and suicidal AI (side-story 3 villagers) really stinks, but that's life, I guess.

Also, since you can have unlimited C-A supports and only one S support, it's weird that there's no confirmation before initiating the conversation or any type of warning at all.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Is there a reason why you can't save on the end game Fate chapters?

I am trying to beat Conquest, and it is very frustrating to have to play two chapters back to back with any units dying.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ither posted:

I am trying to beat Conquest, and it is very frustrating to have to play two chapters back to back with any units dying.

Because Fates is a fountain of poorly considered decisions.

There's a similar no-save pair of missions in midgame Revelation for no particular reason.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Ither posted:

You can just let them die if you don't care about the end credit "where are they now" summaries. The game doesn't save after you win the final battle.

I'm a total loving scrub who normally plays on hard but had to bump the difficulty down to normal in order to beat the very last level with Takumi. This is my cross to bear.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Ither posted:

Because Conquest hates you and everything you stand for.

If you've got Rescue staves and some good cavs/fliers on hand, you can save a good bit of the frustration by just not even trying to engage with the endgame's gimmicks and looking up one of the sequences of moves that lets you fling Corrin at the boss on turn 1.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
witches also break pretty much every boss/mission in half, though its probs too late to help you out much now

gently caress me was warp ever an overpowered ability to give to the player

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a dick move but it's not one that's new to the series. the final chapter of fe7 does the same thing. hope fates is the last time they pull that tho

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
it worked better in fe7 though because the second part was like all of 30 seconds long

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's a dick move but it's not one that's new to the series. the final chapter of fe7 does the same thing. hope fates is the last time they pull that tho

Literally every other time fe has done two maps, no saves its been dumping you into an arena with the final boss and more or less no mooks.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I forget, do you get a chance to save between 1-6-1 and 1-6-2 in RD?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cattail Prophet posted:

I mean you had in-battle saves so that didn't matter.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cattail Prophet posted:

You get to save

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

Yes. You could also save in between each section of Chapter 17 (or whatever number that was. The one in the swamp) in PoR.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

I mean you had in-battle saves so that didn't matter.

You only had battle saves in easy mode iirc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

You only had battle saves in easy mode iirc

Everything but Hard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Except in japan where they either didn't exist at all or were only on easy, I forget

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

when I played JP RD on hard (which is American normal) I'm pretty sure there wasnt battle saves so yeah

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I think battle saves were implemented for the English release

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Literally every other time fe has done two maps, no saves its been dumping you into an arena with the final boss and more or less no mooks.

The original Mystery of the Emblem didn't; you had to play through the three portions of the Dragon's Altar chapter (shrine with dragons and mages -> Gharnef -> Medeus) all in one go.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just finished Echoes, and wow, the themes of the story wind up being pretty depressing!

So Alm and Celica mirror Duma and Mila, respectively. The age of gods has passed, and now it's time for humankind to take the reins of society, and so on. It's all pretty explicit. Echoing Mila, Celica wants a society where people don't have to fight and die, but she makes a series of increasingly bad deals in order to secure such a future. And Alm becomes a revolutionary military leader who seizes power by force, but he winds up personally killing all of his blood relatives.

So Duma's way is bad, and Mila's way is also bad. It felt like the conclusion of the game was going to be that the society built by Alm and Celica together is much better than either would be alone. But instead of that, there's a speech at the end talking about how "the hearts of man" are just as bad as the gods. Alm and Celica seem to have been good rulers, but it's more that they saved the continent from ruin than that they built a great society.

Sucks to be Alm or Celica I guess. I think I still liked the story a lot though, the big ideas ran through it consistently, and while some characters make really boneheaded decisions, they do so in a way that's consistent with the game's themes and their own characterization.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Iron Rose posted:

gently caress me was warp ever an overpowered ability to give to the player

Even Awakening with only Recuse Staves they were still busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

nrook posted:

I just finished Echoes, and wow, the themes of the story wind up being pretty depressing!

So Alm and Celica mirror Duma and Mila, respectively. The age of gods has passed, and now it's time for humankind to take the reins of society, and so on. It's all pretty explicit. Echoing Mila, Celica wants a society where people don't have to fight and die, but she makes a series of increasingly bad deals in order to secure such a future. And Alm becomes a revolutionary military leader who seizes power by force, but he winds up personally killing all of his blood relatives.

So Duma's way is bad, and Mila's way is also bad. It felt like the conclusion of the game was going to be that the society built by Alm and Celica together is much better than either would be alone. But instead of that, there's a speech at the end talking about how "the hearts of man" are just as bad as the gods. Alm and Celica seem to have been good rulers, but it's more that they saved the continent from ruin than that they built a great society.

Sucks to be Alm or Celica I guess. I think I still liked the story a lot though, the big ideas ran through it consistently, and while some characters make really boneheaded decisions, they do so in a way that's consistent with the game's themes and their own characterization.

Well come Awakening, their descendant(?), Walhart, launches conquers the entire continent and almost invades another, so...