Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That'd explain why I see so many FZ1s for so cheap floating around on craigslist. Even like mint low miles 2014-2015 models I see for like 7k or less asking lingering on CL. Can easily find some older 1st gen ones for like 3-4k asking in decent shape. I thought they were supposed to be a little bit more into "nice bike" category with a rabid fanbase but apparently not? Seems like brutal depreciation even by motorcycle standards.

Were they not as expensive new as the FZ10 replacement (~13k)?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have only been on an fz6 , so the 1k May very well be different, but it was a very uninspiring bike. It didn’t make me feel anything other than “this sure is a bike”.

they're not even in the same ballpark

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TBH I tend to agree with the idea that FZ1 'sure is a bike'. Like don't get me wrong, both versions are excellent machines (in different ways) but they feel like yamaha took some tips from honda on how to suck every last shred of charisma out of something and replace it with finely polished efficiency. Like ok, they're faster than a 919 and more refined than a z1000 and handle better than a bandit but the whole package manages to be less than the sum of it's parts.

Never ridden an FZ6 but the specs on paper don't fill me with enthusiasm to try one.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've had my 2004 Fz6n for about a month now. Any observations I make here is totally useless since it's my first 50hp+ street oriented bike, and my first inline-4.

For me it's been a nice upgrade from my 600cc 50hp transalp as a street bike. But any more modern street oriented bike would be miles better as a pure street bike than a 93 transalp.

The engine is smooth as hell, you only start to get any vibrations over 7k rpm with 14k red line. If you want you can stay below 6k rpm while still breaking all posted speed limits. Power delivery is predictable, and you have more rpm range to play with than you know what to do with if you're used to thumpers or v-twins. Turning radius isn't super as the tank is a little wide. Fuel ecomony is about 47 mpg. range is about 230 miles, but reserve warning is super early at 140 miles. Stock seat is okay, but aftermarket seats are better. There is a million different model specific accessories you can farkle it up with. With new fork oil and 2.5 /2.9 bar tire pressure it feels planted and solid. I've read about people saying the front suspension is a bit soft, and maybe it is, but new fork oil did wonders for me.

Reminder, this is just "new bike" butterflies talking.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

TBH I tend to agree with the idea that FZ1 'sure is a bike'. Like don't get me wrong, both versions are excellent machines (in different ways) but they feel like yamaha took some tips from honda on how to suck every last shred of charisma out of something and replace it with finely polished efficiency. Like ok, they're faster than a 919 and more refined than a z1000 and handle better than a bandit but the whole package manages to be less than the sum of it's parts.

Never ridden an FZ6 but the specs on paper don't fill me with enthusiasm to try one.

my dad had the fz1 and it sucked. It functioned reliably but it wasnt very good. Ergos not great either, spine totally vertical really lets you feel the miles

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Doing my annual out of curiosity check thing, I've noticed Zeros are now available sub $8k here (they were closer to $16k last yearish around this time). Someone talk me out of trading in my 2013 VFR1200x on a ds or sr.

I ride approximately 65 miles a day, would charge it at the office (free fuel!!!) don't ever pillion anyone and my commute is around 80% highway. I don't do twisties or group rides or any of that stuff.

What have I overlooked? is there maintenance stuff snuck in that they aren't mentioning? I'm feeling quite sore about my vfr as my 48000km service cost close to $500, which was a bitter pill to swallow after having just replaced the tyres, and I'm due for the 72000km service now which I understand is going to be just as dear. The stupid thing is costing more than my speed triple did to maintain.

What have I missed? it seems like a no brainer, but what hidden costs are there that I'm just not seeing?

Scratch that, the fuckers lied in their ad and the bikes are now closer to $18k. What the everloving gently caress.

sildargod fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 17, 2018

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

sildargod posted:

Doing my annual out of curiosity check thing, I've noticed Zeros are now available sub $8k here (they were closer to $16k last yearish around this time). Someone talk me out of trading in my 2013 VFR1200x on a ds or sr.

I ride approximately 65 miles a day, would charge it at the office (free fuel!!!) don't ever pillion anyone and my commute is around 80% highway. I don't do twisties or group rides or any of that stuff.

What have I overlooked? is there maintenance stuff snuck in that they aren't mentioning? I'm feeling quite sore about my vfr as my 48000km service cost close to $500, which was a bitter pill to swallow after having just replaced the tyres, and I'm due for the 72000km service now which I understand is going to be just as dear. The stupid thing is costing more than my speed triple did to maintain.

What have I missed? it seems like a no brainer, but what hidden costs are there that I'm just not seeing?

Scratch that, the fuckers lied in their ad and the bikes are now closer to $18k. What the everloving gently caress.

Do those services include valve checks?

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

builds character posted:

Do those services include valve checks?

That and sparkplugs. The sparkplugs landed up being more than half of the bill last time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I guess I'm just numb from car service prices but a 48kkm/30kmi $500 service that includes valve adjustment and spark plugs doesn't sound so terrible to me, if you can't or don't want to DIY. :shrug:

Edit: Oh but that's like every 15k miles (24k km)... that does seem kind of steep. Does a modern VFR really call for valve adjustment and spark plugs every 15k miles? That seems...excessive.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 17, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
15,000 miles is, if anything, a pretty long interval for something with solid tappets.

The valves won't necessarily need to be adjusted at that point but you should be checking them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Huh, guess I'm just spoiled with my Kawasaki and it's 42k km/26k mi valve clearance check interval. A lot of people report no need for adjustment until well over 30k miles.

Figured a modern Honda would be similar.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cb1100 with abs, yay or nay?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Cb1100 with abs, yay or nay?
Don't get one without ABS. Also, depreciation on new ones is eye watering, beware

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I know, the good Honda dealer near me has a 2013 abs for 6k

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Guinness posted:

Does a modern VFR really call for valve adjustment and spark plugs every 15k miles? That seems...excessive.
Early 2000s generation Ducati superbikes did valves every 6k and it was a 13 hour job.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Early 2000s generation Ducati superbikes did valves every 6k and it was a 13 hour job.

That's the price of Italian soul.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 999 has one of the most disparate riding fun:ownership cuntyness ratios this side of a KTM.

They really, really, really didn't want anyone working on them ever.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
How are belt changes on the newer ones? They're every 15k now but it still looks like a PITA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cambelts are what people always fixate on but that stuff is honestly super easy, easier than a car cause there's no valve springs kicking the cams out of place.

It's the valve clearances that suck on the 4v engines; I have no idea what it's like on the chain drive motor but I don't picture it being any more convenient.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

I know, the good Honda dealer near me has a 2013 abs for 6k

Brand new?

In 2013 the sticker price was $12,000

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

The cambelts are what people always fixate on but that stuff is honestly super easy, easier than a car cause there's no valve springs kicking the cams out of place.
There actually are valve springs in there that will cause movement of the cam, but they're weak and you can overpower them with your hands.

I did a valve check on an 848 not long ago and it didn't seem that bad to me. Didn't have to adjust them. Not hugely worse than any other high tech DOHC motor anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Brand new?

In 2013 the sticker price was $12,000

No but there do seem to be a lot of leftovers for around 8k. Also cbr650fs that never sold

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There actually are valve springs in there that will cause movement of the cam, but they're weak and you can overpower them with your hands.

I did a valve check on an 848 not long ago and it didn't seem that bad to me. Didn't have to adjust them. Not hugely worse than any other high tech DOHC motor anyway.

Wait is the 848 chain drive? I thought only the panigale has chains and the smaller models have the older design.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Purely hypothetical (for now): Assuming similar pricing, which 900 should I buy, Thunderbird Sport or Hornet?

My riding is mostly rural roads and 2-lane state highways, with the very occasional jaunt into the city/onto the freeway.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Probably the Triumph, but what year hornet where you thinking of?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
'03 T-Bird, '06 Hornet (919 here in the US).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

About the only things those bikes have in common are the capacity and the fact they both have two wheels.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hence my indecision--if they were similar, I would simply choose the better-looking one :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I vote 919, that year had a better suspension too iirc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hornet is a much better bike in every empirical way and this is one of the few comparisons where the charisma vacuum is moot so I vote Honda.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Wait is the 848 chain drive? I thought only the panigale has chains and the smaller models have the older design.
No the 848 is belt

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dagen H posted:

'03 T-Bird, '06 Hornet (919 here in the US).

My dude.

Honda

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Guys please talk some sense in me

should I go for a new Yamaha Tracer GT or a second-hand BMW R1200GS in the same budget (~2013)?

I just did my first multi-day touring trip throughout Europe and I need something comfortable and dependable that can eat up highways but still be FUN (for reference, the 2400 KM trip was done on a 2000 Hayabusa.. :( )

BMW is more due to peer pressure, as a lot of the friends I ride with ride either RTs, GSs or K1600GTs but I think I get a lot more bike for the money with the Tracer and up to date tech.

Hadn't done any off-roading yet (as I didn't have a bike for it), but it's something I was always interested with. However, due to family time, I think I'll have to choose between group trips or alone off-road adventures so I think that in the next years there's not much time for off-roading...

There are voices pushing for the Versys 1000 as a compromise but I kind of like the look of the Tracer more...

I know you might not have a lot of ideas on that, but how quickly does the Yamaha Tracer depreciate? The GS is more of a sound "investment" as they still sell crazy high second hand and I do have sort of a budget issue with dropping >10K EUR on a bike...

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I had a really long post typed up, but to save you the reading time, here's the tl; dr version: for long distance stuff, assuming the cost of both bikes was the same, I'd probably go with a well-maintained second-hand GS.

I own a '15 R1200GS and a '17 FZ-09 (fairingless Tracer GT) so I can compare them a bit.

The Yamaha wins by miles on motor, the GS wins on suspension and brakes. There are more available accessories for the GS (racks, luggage, etc.) but they will cost more than the equivalent for the Yamaha. The GS is very easy to work on from a mechanical standpoint, but if something breaks it will be more expensive to fix. I've not had either bike long enough to comment on long term reliability; anecdotally the Yamaha will run forever with regular maintenance, the GS might not (change the final drive oil more often than recommended, check the driveshaft and pinion gear for corrosion and keep them lubricated).

The GS handles far better than it has any right to and the suspension is far better than the stock Yamaha suspension. You can fix the Yamaha suspension for ~$1k-$1500 depending on what options you go with, but out of the box it's undersprung and the damping is poor, especially on the shock. The stock seat on both of them is mediocre at best.

The one caveat to all of this: if you want guaranteed smiles every time you twist your wrist and that's all you care about, the Tracer beats the GS. The GS motor is a refined tractor motor - works well, makes good power, but is not exciting in the slightest.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Tracer is a much less substantial bike than the GS. It’s narrow and relatively light which can be good or bad depending on what you’re doing. The wind protection on the FJ-09 I had wasn’t great and I imagine it’s not much better on the Tracer.

The engine is a riot though and the bike feels very flickable. But if I was gonna be doing a lot of highway miles I’d probably take the GS, as it’s gonna be more comfortable and roomy and better suited for carrying luggage.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Wind protection isn't all that on the GS either, unless you start adding aftermarket wings around the windscreen (which needs an aftermarket replacement too - Puig works well). It doesn't feel super roomy either - the stepped seat keeps you from moving back very far, and the heads sticking out to the side make it difficult to stretch your legs without getting into the full-on ob-gyn stirrups position

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The tracer looks way cooler, is a Yamaha, and is going to have a way more fun engine. Plus, if I lived somewhere that highways didn't have a speed limit, I'd rather have the Tracer. :)

I question how much "off road" the Tracer is going to do. But I'd also loath taking a massive GS in those same conditions.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coydog posted:

I question how much "off road" the Tracer is going to do. But I'd also loath taking a massive GS in those same conditions.

When the Tracer/FJ first came out there was a rash of people puncturing the oil pan or shearing the bolt off because it’s basically the lowest part of the bike and completely unprotected. It would happen on relatively tame hard packed dirt or even debris on the highway. There were some aftermarket fixes but the bike only has about 5 inches of ground clearance at the lowest point so there’s only so much you can do.

I’d definitely take the GS over it for anything off pavement.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Thank you all for your comments and efforts!

I was expecting everyone to tell me to "ditch the GS you poser" and go for the new, technologized bike but you all make great, objective points.

Offroad is not mandatory yet as I have never done it but I think I would love it. However, I need a more "substantial" bike and as I am a big guy I think I can definitely handle the GS.

Now I just need to find the bike (and the money) OR share a new GSA with my brother-in-law (he already has a K1600GT for tours but has ridden a GSA twice and he's in love with it..).

I understand our local dealership has some RallyE's from last year that they're discounting. I can only go there in 2 weeks but one quick question - does it come stock with street tyres or the offroad ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

cosmin posted:

I understand our local dealership has some RallyE's from last year that they're discounting. I can only go there in 2 weeks but one quick question - does it come stock with street tyres or the offroad ones?

The dealer will usually swap tires for you at no cost if you want road-oriented tires vs. offroad. The RallyE can be ordered with either (Road = Michelin Anakee or Metzeler Next, Offroad = Continental TKC80). The Michelin Anakees are very noisy for a road tire.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 25, 2018