Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've started reading komi-san after having it on my backlog forever and it is very cute. I love komi's "staring" face, it's adorable and goofy, wspecially when she sprouts cat ears when she shows particular interest in something. I just got to the end of her having her friends over for the first time and it was all just really cute. The cast so far seems to take a given archetype and crank it until the dial snaps off, komi being the socially awkward type going nearly full mute with the occasional stuttering gibbering, tadano is explicitly generic to the extreme to the point that his one defining trait is the white sprout on his head, najimi is the childhood friend stereotype magnified to infinity with gender ambiguity thrown in, etc. All very fun, some of the other introduced characters aren't great but the main three are worth it by themselves. Also komi's mom rules. I kept seeing people complain about the yandere character and thought the competitive weirdo was her but she wasn't. Very fun series though. The whole borderline cult hierarchy going on with the classroom is a trope I could do without though honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hello yandere character

Okay yeah she super sucks and not in a fun way, and this is only one chapter after her introduction, bummer

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 16, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
normal anxiety often includes believing that everyone is staring at and judging you. komi's life sucks because she is so pretty that everyone actually does. every time she goes out, crowds of people stare at her and whisper to each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. This is a case where the typical ~school queen on a pedestal~ doesn't just inexplicably take it in stride but instead becomes fairly emotionally crippled by it. I'm wondering if it'll go into why her family hasn't sought help for her if it's been this big a problem for so long, or if it'll just kinda be brushed off as Just One Of Those Japanese Things like most treatments of psychological issues, or just not dealt with because that wouldn't be funny. Though after getting past the visit to the yandere's room I don't know if the author thought this was a good thing to have for comedic purposes, because it was skeevy as gently caress, holy moly, there was nothing good about that entire handful of chapters I just read beyond komi saying she would choose who her friends would be. Whole thing was intensely uncomfortable and the attempts at humor were awful.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yamai sucks and never gets any better.

Everyone else in Komi-san is good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good to hear. Shame yamai appears to continue to show up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

She gets less face time as the cast expands.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I distinctly recall her rotating out of the main recurring cast after a while so that's good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah good, immediately into meeting a chuuni, and a suitably goofy one too

It's really amazing how...expressive komi can be despite just being a pair of eyes and tremblinghair and nothing else

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yeah, one of the nice things about Komi-san is that the author seems to realize which parts/characters suck and slowly eases them out of the story.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I want more of Onemine-san, she's cool

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah good, immediately into meeting a chuuni, and a suitably goofy one too

It's really amazing how...expressive komi can be despite just being a pair of eyes and tremblinghair and nothing else

One of the hallmarks of good character design is being able to recognize them from just one or two defining features. Komi's giganto-eyes, Najimi's antenna things, and Tadano's hair-flower-burst are all you really need to see.

Regarding Najimi: Some people seem to be down on how Tadano treats/harps on them regarding gender. Part of the problem is the translation, since in Japanese you can get away with not gendering someone in speech but English only has awkward "he/she/they"-type signifiers. But also, Tadano is constantly kinda exasperated with Najimi in general, not only about gender but about ... well, their entire personality. Showing up in a dress after spending all of middle school in a boy's uniform is just another drat thing with this idiot. They're still very close friends, of course, but Najimi's the wind, baby.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Najimi is cool and Tadano is the idiot of the relationship if he can not understand how cool his genderfluid friend is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"Isn't it weird and wacky how my friend is wearing a SKIRT when he used to wear PANTS? I just cannot deal with my strange friend's wacky antics." - completely reasonable Tadano

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
attn dis: read this one
http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/nichijou_climax/

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I want to live in the alternate universe where the comic is about Najimi falling in love with Komi san because she's the first person they have trouble befriending.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
It's still weird if you look at najimis uniform he/she wears a skirt but the boys tie and not the girls bowtie.

I just kind of ignore the gender and understand it's just a gag, about childhood friends.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

I want to live in the alternate universe where the comic is about Najimi falling in love with Komi san because she's the first person they have trouble befriending.

I am going to make an Isekai about another world where its exactly the same as ours but decent mangas are replaced with much better counterparts and Najimi manga will feature in it.

e: Also feature would be a version of Yona of the Dawn where Lili is a member of Yona's harem.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 16, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Najimi is cool and good, but is also kind of annoying as a person. However that's fine and somebody has to keep pushing the two dopes together.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

"Isn't it weird and wacky how my friend is wearing a SKIRT when he used to wear PANTS? I just cannot deal with my strange friend's wacky antics." - completely reasonable Tadano

I don't remember it exactly but I honestly think his reaction when he first sees them is like, pretty normal for a young guy in modern society and doesn't really come off malicious. The only one I really thought was bad was the pool one cuz it's such an obvious boring joke and they would actually look a lot more out of place in the men's room in that instance and there's never been any indication in the rest of the comic that the girls would be uncomfortable having them around.

Chillyrabbit posted:

It's still weird if you look at najimis uniform he/she wears a skirt but the boys tie and not the girls bowtie.

I just kind of ignore the gender and understand it's just a gag, about childhood friends.

I actually like that touch with their uniform a lot

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am going to make an Isekai about another world where its exactly the same as ours but decent mangas are replaced with much better counterparts and Najimi manga will feature in it.

e: Also feature would be a version of Yona of the Dawn where Lili is a member of Yona's harem.

Both Yona and Geun Tae are spoken for, a true Lili tragedy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also in my isekai where the mangas are better, that manga about the love rival being a ghost would have been about the ghost.
And I would have more of that vampire thing to read the prunus girl person is doing.
And Takako Shimura would write better endings.

Rodyle posted:

Both Yona and Geun Tae are spoken for, a true Lili tragedy

There are not enough tears in the world.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maybe she'll become a Sailor Uranus fan and move to Xing.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Prunus Girl College Years :pray:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rodyle posted:

Maybe she'll become a Sailor Uranus fan and move to Xing.

Oh, so that is the reason why I like Kouren so much and think she is the coolest.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I don't remember it exactly but I honestly think his reaction when he first sees them is like, pretty normal for a young guy in modern society and doesn't really come off malicious. The only one I really thought was bad was the pool one cuz it's such an obvious boring joke and they would actually look a lot more out of place in the men's room in that instance and there's never been any indication in the rest of the comic that the girls would be uncomfortable having them around.
I don't remember if its the same incident you're talking about but the one that actually kinda pissed off is the "he/she/it" one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

also: yes

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DisDisDis posted:

But when BL Wife & Wife?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I don't remember if its the same incident you're talking about but the one that actually kinda pissed off is the "he/she/it" one.

the joke is Najimi is wearing casual girls clothes at the pool and is on the way to the changing room with the girls and Tadano grabs them and is like 'where are you going' and then iirc there's a text box next page that says 'in the end they used the single occupancy' or something.

don't remember what you're refering to tbh

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Schubalts posted:

But when BL Wife & Wife?

It's ok, there's room for Prunus Girl Adult Life After College too

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

A world where romance manga continues after the main couple gets together. :allears:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
We already had Jitsu Wa. Also Ore Monogatari now that I think of it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Agronox posted:

We already had Jitsu Wa. Also Ore Monogatari now that I think of it.

Between Smooth and Rough, Horimiya, Koudaike no Hitobito ...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

perhaps the idea that no romances go on after the couple gets together is a cliche based on reading a narrow amount of works

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

bitch

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

perhaps the idea that no romances go on after the couple gets together is a cliche based on reading a narrow amount of works

So, this question has more possible answers than the ones I got in 2016? :pray:

gmq posted:

I want to read something where the couple ends up together, it happens before the end of the manga, and the manga is actually finished and it was a good ending. Basically, the rarest possible type of manga.

I have read:
- Kare Kano
- Lovely★Complex
- My Love Story!! (not finished but it's great, they are together!)
- Kimi ni Todoke (not finished in real life but in my heart it ended when it was still good)
- Bonnouji

And that's it. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Ha, apparently I asked the same in 2012.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

gmq posted:

So, this question has more possible answers than the ones I got in 2016? :pray:

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Itoshi no Nekkoke, Blue Sky Complex, Octave, Pieta, Honeymoon Salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tsuru Tsuru no whatever, the one about the dude whose family runs the fish and lizard pet shop.