Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

63 sets currently available for sale on the Lego site.

A for profit company trying to sell products that people buy in huge amounts? What madness is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Man was hoping for an Interceptor but got yet another X-wing

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How do you have a Sandcrawler and no R5-D4 minifig?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh the star wars advent calendar doesn't seem to have a Christmas character this year.

I wish they'd bring back LOTR at least long enough to make a Balrog.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Am I right in thinking that the LotR licence was criminally underused compared to some of their other licensed themes? If my perception is accurate, was it because it didn’t sell as well relative to Harry Potter or Star Wars, maybe because LotR’s fanbase was more adult and also the Lego started coming out a while after the films were done iirc? I have Isengard, Helm’s Deep and Bag End and think they’re all great. I was hoping for Minas Tirith or Edoras, I’d have thought there would have been a lot of demand for sets like those, seeing as they incorporate castle and medieval themes as well. Lothlorien would have been cool too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah Edoras would have been a perfect fit.

e: well the hall, that would be have been great

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

They didn't even finish the lego hobbit game, it just stops where the second movie ended.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Hopefully they make some more when the Amazon LotR comes out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a sexual elk posted:

Man was hoping for an Interceptor but got yet another X-wing

Why they don't show the interceptor and Bomber any love is beyond me.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Really liking how Disney is slowly killing Star Wars because in 10 years or so there is a good chance that we won't inundated with constant Star Wars trash.

lmao

*makes most money ever*

*dies immediately*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I come to the Lego thread for nuclear Star Wars takes and bad opinions and it never disappoints. :allears:

Has anyone bought the roller coaster yet?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

neato

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I come to the Lego thread for nuclear Star Wars takes and bad opinions and it never disappoints. :allears:

:lol: It's always just Waltzing Along. Every time SW comes up I imagine him shaking his fists at the sky and yelling "STARRRRRRRRR WARRRRRRRRS!!!!!"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
19 years of star wars lego and I've never had a single x-wing so I for one am excited

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really glad they reprinted the canopy with the blue gray instead of just using the silver print with rivets.

Overall it's a basically a mix of the last Xwing, the UCS and the new trilogy X-Wings. The kind of stumpier look is ok with me because its minifig scale. The UCS is almost too lean looking (still love it though. One of my favorite sets) The old Minifig X-Wings are a nice in-between, scale wise but they are also flimsier looking.

The stuff I'm mixed on:

-using the engine build from the UCS. They definitely look too big and the previous ones were scaled better. I actually was planning on doing that in my WIP rebuild of the last OT X-Wing and decided against it for that reason. I like that it's at least something new though and they didn't re-release the old one with a new cockpit. I was also planning on sticking the little 1x3 wing pieces on the front like in the new model, but looking at them now it's kind of meh. I think the rear part of the engines look better on the new one and I've been wanting to do something like that on mine.

-Can't belive they didn't rethink the side panels under the cockpit. That has always looked bad to me. I highly prefer my own take on it :smug:

-Where is the detail behind R2 and why the heck are they putting the wing folding mechanism on top of all the x-wings now? Looks so awkward. I hope the rear has some detail at least.

-Wings could definitely be longer and the flick missiles detract form the look.

-I wish they had changed the nose to be more accurate

other than that I love it

Sorry for :spergin: X-wings do that to me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 18, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At least the missile launchers look fairly easy to remove. Stud shooters too, looks like they’re just hanging off the side.

I like Biggs, but I wish the alternate pilot had been someone that hasn’t gotten a minifig yet. Someone with a distinctive helmet like Garven Dreis or Jon D. Branon.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 18, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: It's always just Waltzing Along. Every time SW comes up I imagine him shaking his fists at the sky and yelling "STARRRRRRRRR WARRRRRRRRS!!!!!"

Star Wars wouldn't be so bad if they just stopped making toys and movies for ever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Star Wars wouldn't be so bad if they just stopped making toys and movies for ever.

You realize you are not required to consume media or merchandise you don't like, right?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

duz posted:

They didn't even finish the lego hobbit game, it just stops where the second movie ended.

They were supposed to make the third movie DLC, but instead gave up on it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Waltzing Along posted:

There’s nothing requiring you to come in and poo poo on every single post tangentially related to Star Wars. We get it, man. Find a new gimmick.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Just give me a non-lepin Nebulon LEGO, and you can make X-wings to your hearts content.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

90' turns only! :mad:

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Couldn't sleep last night and found out that some sites have begun to review the new Ninjago City Docks, among other new Ninjago sets (like https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/05/18/legos-ninjago-city-is-expanding-with-70657-ninjago-city-docks-review/ for example).

Went out to the store today, because my daughter wanted a Ninjago Spinner, and color me surprised when they also had City Docks in stock! Bought the set and currently sitting down and building it, so far so good (if you don't mind the 1x2 transparent blues ad infinitum). Read that the street date otherwise is set to August 1st, so they must've messed this one up quite badly...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Would be better (and more sensible) if they were actually jockeying for position.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Set looks great. $230 is a very fair price.

And as almost always, set looks much better in person than in a picture.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zerf posted:

Went out to the store today, because my daughter wanted a Ninjago Spinner, and color me surprised when they also had City Docks in stock!

Where?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Waltzing Along posted:

Set looks great. $230 is a very fair price.

And as almost always, set looks much better in person than in a picture.

Initial pictures didn't show off the good depth they achieved. Still probably won't get that but it does look pretty nice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The most interesting bit is that there may be more Ninjago City pieces.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

In Sweden, unfortunately :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was underwhelmed by the docks the first time I saw them, but after looking at that review it's absolutely awesome.

Ugh. I'm overburdened with Lego though atm. Maybe I should just do a purge and sell a bunch of stuff to offset the cost and clear shelf space for the two big Ninjago sets since I haven't even got Ninjago city yet. Those really tick my boxes for both modulars and sci fi.

I bought my first modular (Parisian restaurant) around Xmas and it's such gorgeous set but doesn't really go with anything else I have and I kind of realized I should just double down on modulars or not go for them at all and I'm leaning towards the latter. At least with the Ninjago ones I could get in on the ground floor instead of being overwhelmed by like 15 multi-hundred dollar sets to choose from.

Does it sound like this post is just me justifying to myself spending $530 on Lego? I think that's what it is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Do it! I’m about to store or offload my Simpsons sets and droid army junk to make room for a new Marvel display and the HP stuff coming down the pipe.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zerf posted:

In Sweden, unfortunately :(

It makes me think the June 1st release is more likely than August 1st. Funny how both have been reported.

Nothing in the June calendar or the site, though. Which leans towards August.

But if it is showing up in Legoland....

Does Lego ever release things at different times on different continents?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I hadn’t seen pics of the great hall set in other preview articles but maybe I missed them? But I thought I’d share

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Dogen posted:

I hadn’t seen pics of the great hall set in other preview articles but maybe I missed them? But I thought I’d share

What’s the piece/price count on that? It looks... underwhelming.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

$100. Dunno the piece count.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I was underwhelmed by the docks the first time I saw them, but after looking at that review it's absolutely awesome.
Yeah, it's pretty opposite of Ninjago City which makes an incredible first impression, but the details are great and it's slowly growing on me, much moreso after the recent detailed reviews. Mostly I appreciate that it makes Ninjago City look that much more impressive with the two attached.

veni veni veni posted:

I bought my first modular (Parisian restaurant) around Xmas and it's such gorgeous set but doesn't really go with anything else I have and I kind of realized I should just double down on modulars or not go for them at all and I'm leaning towards the latter.
Oh, I don't know, I think modulars are great if you just pick out a few of your favorites to get. You don't need the 100% completionist collection of every modular set - a ton of people have that already, and buying up the early ones at the rates they command now is absurd. They're less detailed anyway; the modern modulars (everything after Palace Cinema) are the best they've ever been, except for maybe Green Grocer. Personally, I only intend to own Parisian Restaurant and Assembly Square.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's interesting that the featured side of the docks is actually the back end. it almost poses a display problem because now Ninjago City looks as good from either side haha. I'd be constantly torn on which side to face out.

Yeah this is an absolute must have couple of sets. Might be straight up the coolest looking thing Lego has done.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ugh, that does look really good. Dagnabbit. Well, hopefully it’s around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Chalk up another vote for "looks poo poo" to "holy gently caress its amazing" when the docks is connected to the City. Currently I have the city sat on my shelf next to my Death Star, the two "big" Lego sets I own. Wondering where the heck I am going to put the Death Star now. Then again I have heard a rumour that a £400 Cloud City set is incoming.