Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Anybody with a 2016 Vizio M or P series still getting crashes on recent firmwares? My TV has been crashing when I'm not even using smartcast, but while I'm playing a game. It's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

snickles posted:

It is running through a sound system. Unlike my previous tv, however, the aux on this one is line level from the headphone jack. I wouldn’t expect that to cause a problem with unequal volume but I dunno maybe that’s it.

Sounds like some of the sources are 5.1 and some are just stereo and your TV (probably, since you said headphone jack and I'm assuming you mean on the TV) or sound system aren't handling them the same way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Anybody with a 2016 Vizio M or P series still getting crashes on recent firmwares? My TV has been crashing when I'm not even using smartcast, but while I'm playing a game. It's pretty bad.

My buddy hasn't mentioned any such issues, he has the P

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Didn't really get a response in the home theater thread, maybe someone here is able to chime in.

I'm looking to replace my current audio solution (Sony HT-XT1 soundbase) with a new solution where the HDMI ports allow for 4K HDR passthrough (my current Sony only does 1080p). I am in mainland Europe and thus a lot of US centric deals are not available to me.

Since I have an LG television I have looked at the LG SJ9 soundbar, which seems capable enough but has only one HDMI in port and also soundbars aren't regarded very highly among audiophiles it seems.

So, I've looked into AVR based alternatives and put together this setup which ends up the same price:

2x Klipsch R-15M - front left and front right
1x Klipsch R-25C - front center 
1x Yamaha RX-V383 - receiver with at least two HDMI-in ports that are 4K HDR capable

This combo would end up costing 600 Euros, the same price as the LG SJ9. I would gain the additional HDMI ports, tho they are not an absolute must, but I would lose out on codec support, tho that too is not an absolute must.

More importantly, can anyone give me an indication as to which setup I can expect to deliver better sound quality when watching movies and playing videogames?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Incessant Excess posted:

Didn't really get a response in the home theater thread, maybe someone here is able to chime in.

I'm looking to replace my current audio solution (Sony HT-XT1 soundbase) with a new solution where the HDMI ports allow for 4K HDR passthrough (my current Sony only does 1080p). I am in mainland Europe and thus a lot of US centric deals are not available to me.

Since I have an LG television I have looked at the LG SJ9 soundbar, which seems capable enough but has only one HDMI in port and also soundbars aren't regarded very highly among audiophiles it seems.

So, I've looked into AVR based alternatives and put together this setup which ends up the same price:

2x Klipsch R-15M - front left and front right
1x Klipsch R-25C - front center 
1x Yamaha RX-V383 - receiver with at least two HDMI-in ports that are 4K HDR capable

This combo would end up costing 600 Euros, the same price as the LG SJ9. I would gain the additional HDMI ports, tho they are not an absolute must, but I would lose out on codec support, tho that too is not an absolute must.

More importantly, can anyone give me an indication as to which setup I can expect to deliver better sound quality when watching movies and playing videogames?

Get the reference premiere line instead

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Don Lapre posted:

Get the reference premiere line instead

With local prices those speakers are nearly twice as expensive as the ones I mentioned:

X540BT - 160 euro
R-25C - 166 euro
R-15M - 188 euro

vs

X540BT - 160 euro
RP-250C - 295 euro
RP-150M - 355 euro

Are decent speakers not in the cards with the budget I'm hoping for?

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Variable 5 posted:

Sounds like some of the sources are 5.1 and some are just stereo and your TV (probably, since you said headphone jack and I'm assuming you mean on the TV) or sound system aren't handling them the same way.

I think you are correct. Is there any way to tell if it's an issue with my TV's audio output vs. the amplifier? It's an old stereo amplifier with only RCA inputs. I'm guessing there is not a simple solution for this if it can't be solved within the TV's settings.

Edit: ↓ There is a setting that can be switched to stereo output, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. I've contacted TCL to see if that is normal. Thank you!

snickles fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 8, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know what the audio settings look like in Roku TV vs normal Roku, but with a normal Roku you can disable DD support and output only PCM. If you can do that on the TV, it may cause it to behave the same on all audio outputs.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I'm having crazy weird issues with my OLED55C7P. The remote is very laggy and the wiimote cursor thing doesn't appear any more. It can't connect to WiFi and any wifi app just crashes. Live TV works ok.
Anyone seen anything like this? It feels like a hardware RAM failure or something.

Not Even An Edit: The TV started working fine again after a few minutes of being powered off. Still keeping this around for posterity.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

With local prices those speakers are nearly twice as expensive as the ones I mentioned:

X540BT - 160 euro
R-25C - 166 euro
R-15M - 188 euro

vs

X540BT - 160 euro
RP-250C - 295 euro
RP-150M - 355 euro

Are decent speakers not in the cards with the budget I'm hoping for?

I have the R-25C, great center speaker. Forget the loving soundbar, the setup you have mentioned is infinitely better. Can always upgrade the speakers later, but you wont be yearning for a better center for a long time/ever

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm finishing my basement and trying to wire for a future, yet-unbought TV and receiver. Is there any reason to run a TOSLINK, or do modern TVs send antenna audio back on the HDMI audio return channel yet?

Any reason to run a second HDMI to the TV if I plan to run all sources through the receiver?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Antenna should do ARC. I would run the second HDMI. It's useful if you want to bypass the avr (if you have one) or to have different picture setup on different HDMI port.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Run an optical anyway cause sometimes arc sucks

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Got a news alert that there is going to be a sale on the TCL 55 P605 this Saturday at Bestbuy.

Is it still recommended over the new TCL models? Thinking about picking it up. Saying it's going to be $500

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ignore this.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

axelord posted:

Got a news alert that there is going to be a sale on the TCL 55 P605 this Saturday at Bestbuy.

Is it still recommended over the new TCL models? Thinking about picking it up. Saying it's going to be $500

The new ones are slightly better in a lot of ways, brightness and color etc. If that's worth $100 then grab the new 55, otherwise (or if $100 puts it out of budget) last years are certainly still good sets.

I'm still waiting on Amazon getting more stock of the 65" from this year, they seem to be in short supply so far. but the new 55" are available.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

snickles posted:

It is running through a sound system. Unlike my previous tv, however, the aux on this one is line level from the headphone jack. I wouldn’t expect that to cause a problem with unequal volume but I dunno maybe that’s it.

Mine does that too and I'm using optical out to a Denon amp.
The volume jumping around is genuinely a loving nightmare. I can have the volume on 30 and hear my PS4 fine, but Netflix on the TV needs to be up around 70 to get the same volume. Every app is wildly different.
I hope they will fix it with a firmware update.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

Mine does that too and I'm using optical out to a Denon amp.
The volume jumping around is genuinely a loving nightmare. I can have the volume on 30 and hear my PS4 fine, but Netflix on the TV needs to be up around 70 to get the same volume. Every app is wildly different.
I hope they will fix it with a firmware update.

Well. I suppose I’m glad that it’s not just a defective tv. TCL support couldn’t even confirm that this was a known issue, although they seem perfectly willing to replace the tv. Other than that, I really like this tv. Although inexpensive, it’s a huge upgrade from my 2008 lcd. I really didn’t want to return it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Run an optical anyway cause sometimes arc sucks

When I had my old Pioneer receiver sometimes ARC would poo poo the bed, so nice turning on a show through the built in media player on my TV and getting no sound. Turns out it was the receiver. No issues since I picked up my NR676

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My CEC works perfectly except for one insanely stupid thing the X900E does where when the shuts off it sends a "hey, switch to the ARC input" to my receiver, even when you tell it to not do power control. For some reason this seems to only effect Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer receivers. There's a thread on the Sony support forums and stuff but they admit nothing.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

snickles posted:

Well. I suppose I’m glad that it’s not just a defective tv. TCL support couldn’t even confirm that this was a known issue,

To be fair it has only been out a couple of weeks.
YouTube is very loud, Netflix is quiet. Is yours the same way?
I'll check prime on mine later and see if it's lower than netflix.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

If I use Netflix as a reference point, YouTube seems slightly louder. My antenna is WAY louder. Prime is WAY softer (like if Netflix is comfortable at volume 20, Prime has to be increased to 40 or more). I could probably tolerate the difference between Netflix and YouTube if that was the only discrepancy.

Anything connected by hdmi, so far, appears to be output at a level similar to Netflix. So prime on Roku at volume 40-45 is equivalent to prime on fire tv at volume 20.

EDIT: Discovered another weird issue - We activated the live tv pause feature with a USB stick, and it causes a periodic (1-2 minutes) drop of whatever OTA channel you are currently viewing. Deactivating that feature seems to have solved the problem, so maybe it's an issue with our USB stick (Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB).

EDIT 2: So TCL wants to replace the entire TV. I'm skeptical this will fix the problem, particularly since you've confirmed mine isn't the only unit with volume issues.

snickles fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 14, 2018

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Does this double as a monitors' thread too? If so, could somebody please rec me an affordable monitor or tv with low input lag/high refresh rate, maybe in the high 20s range for inches?

I'm also seeking out monitors/tvs with some kind of basic usb feature (not sure what the proper term for this is?). I've noticed that modern tvs (not sure about monitors) are able to play videos and other files directly off external hard drives now

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I bought an HDMI splitter that ended up having a manual saying it only has HDMI 1.4b. Seller says it's HDMI 2.0a. How on earth am I supposed to test or verify this?

Can I hook it up to a PS4 and see whether it supports the HDCP, or is that even a proper test?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I bought an HDMI splitter that ended up having a manual saying it only has HDMI 1.4b. Seller says it's HDMI 2.0a. How on earth am I supposed to test or verify this?

Can I hook it up to a PS4 and see whether it supports the HDCP, or is that even a proper test?

It looks like HDR is going to be easiest thing to test on it. I know Netflix lets me know when I'm using Dolby Vision.
Edit: Here's the documentation from Sony.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/sound---screen/ps4--how-to-get-hdr/

Animale fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 17, 2018

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yossarian-22 posted:

I'm also seeking out monitors/tvs with some kind of basic usb feature (not sure what the proper term for this is?). I've noticed that modern tvs (not sure about monitors) are able to play videos and other files directly off external hard drives now

Monitors with a USB-C port can do this.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Animale posted:

It looks like HDR is going to be easiest thing to test on it. I know Netflix lets me know when I'm using Dolby Vision.
Edit: Here's the documentation from Sony.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/sound---screen/ps4--how-to-get-hdr/
Ack, my TV doesn't support HDR so I don't think that's possible. Hmm.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Yossarian-22 posted:

Does this double as a monitors' thread too? If so, could somebody please rec me an affordable monitor or tv with low input lag/high refresh rate, maybe in the high 20s range for inches?

There's an actual monitors thread somewhere, as far as I know you can't go too wrong in the 24-27" range with Asus or Acer, they have a range of 144-250hz monitors with various features.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ufarn posted:

The PS4's Screen and Sound settings menu has a tab that shows what the console is outputting to your display, including the HDCP version. The PS4's safe mode menu also has options to force certain HDCP versions.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Isn't 1.4 limited to 30hz? Maybe there's a 60fps game you can try.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1.4 can do 4k 60hz at low color resolution

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Yossarian-22 posted:

The monitor thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.
I’m in the market for a new tv and was leaning heavily towards the LG B7 or C7 65”. Will I do better than the $2,500-$2,600 that it’s currently going for? I’ve seen a $500 discount on massdrop, but they are listen as an unauthorized retailer, whatever that means.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
The B7 regularly goes below the 2000 mark. Just keep checking slickdeals

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide between the 55" TCL 6-Series and 55" Sony X900E.

I've had them both in my house for 2-3 weeks and the return periods are expiring so I need to make a choice in the next few days.

I paid $200 more for the Sony than the TCL, so price difference is negligible, but I do factor in the Sony originally selling for $1,400+ and the TCL being $650.

I'm using it for 4K PS4/PC gaming in a dimly lit basement room and my last TV was a 2009 Panasonic G10 plasma so I value good black levels a little more than I otherwise would.

TCL 6-Series:

+ Roku OS/menus/remote are great
+ Very good black levels
+ Dolby Vision support (not relevant for gaming)
+ Color looks better to me out of the box
+ Lower input lag (but I haven't noticed any lag issues on either TV in Game Mode)

- Dirty screen effect/panel uniformity are distractingly bad on mine when gaming, have to hope I can return it and get a replacement set that's better
- HDR doesn't seem to get as bright/be as noticeable as on the Sony
- Motion handling/upscaling not as good as on the Sony? Not much of a problem for 4K gaming though
- 60 Hz panel

Sony X900E:

+ 120 Hz panel
+ No dirty screen effect/uniformity issues
+ HDR gets very bright
+ Good upscaling/motion handling

- Android OS is laggy and the remote kinda sucks
- Black levels don't seem as good as on the TCL, especially for things like top/bottom letterboxes during cinematics
- Colors seem a little muted to me, might be able to fix with more calibration effort
- Only two of the four HDMI inputs are full HDMI 2.0

----

The Sony originally sold for twice as much as the TCL so I don't know if difficulty choosing one means I am more impressed by the TCL or let down by the Sony. In Sony's defense, some of the things the TV is good at (cleaning up lower quality sources, motion handling) don't apply to my use.

On paper the Sony has more features (other than Dolby Vision which isn't really relevant for me) and a better panel but for some reason I keep coming back to the TCL despite the uniformity issues on the set I currently have. The problem is that it's a budget TV with some questionable quality control and there's no guarantee I am going to return it and get one that doesn't have the same problem, and I don't particularly want to be going through 3 or 4 different TV sets trying to get one with a good panel.

This set might just be a 2-3 year stopgap until I get something with HDMI 2.1 and VRR but I'm still having a hard time figuring out which one I want to stick with until then.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 21, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone use a Bluetooth gamepad with their KS8000 or other Samsung with Steam Link? I've plugged in an old Xbox 360 controller with no problem, but the TV doesn't want to recognize a generic Bluetooth controller I use for Android.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Parker Lewis posted:

I'm driving myself crazy trying to decide between the 55" TCL 6-Series and 55" Sony X900E.

I was in a similar spot. I landed on the X900E with a Roku Streaming Stick + plugged into it. I only connect the TV to the internet for occasional updates and use Roku for all my smart TV needs. Best of both worlds!

The remote is bad, but I've been a Harmony user for like a decade now, so that wasn't a factor for me personally.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are we expecting any significant Memorial Day sales on TVs worth buying? I've got my eye on an LG OLED55B7A, but I haven't seen it any lower than around $100 off anywhere yet.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

Technician came out today and verified the issue WAS an issue. Also demonstrated the skipping/disconnecting problem when viewing OTA television with the live tv pause feature enabled. Ended up replacing the tv. Replacement... has the same issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what's up with Vudu and both The Last Jedi and Black Panther showing up as purchasable in 4k but not rentable? On a Samsung TV, using the Xbone Vudu app, and I'm assuming it's some kind of licensing garbage. Like fine if I can't give you money I'll rent the disc from somewhere else I guess.