Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

grack posted:

Honest question: Why are you being such an rear end in a top hat about this?

Genuine answer: Because happy TWSBI users, of which there are objectively plenty, can't have a conversation in literally any fountain pen group without a vocal minority crawling out the woodwork to have a fun sloppy poo poo all over the brand. By now, nobody is unaware that some people have had cracking issues. From what I've observed, it doesn't seem like the problem is anywhere near as prevalent as it used to be, but obviously there are differing opinions on that matter. Regardless, the inevitable sniping makes it so that there can be zero conversations about TWSBIs that don't immediately devolve into CRACKING CRACKING CRACKING. It's incredibly frustrating.

That said, y'all are right and I was definitely being an rear end in a top hat, and I'm sorry. I'm also sorry if your pen ever cracked because that sucks, and for the record, I don't actually believe that any of you are made of ham.

edit: SHAME SNYPE

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

Yesterday I rolled my desk chair back over my Namiki Falcon that I purchased years ago crushing the body (front of body and nib and cap are fine). Is there any way to get a replacement body?

You can try contacting your local Pilot distributor and sending it in. I have had no direct experience of this but a number of posts online say good things about Pilot USA's service department.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Nine of Eight posted:

I haven't seen anything about it in recent posts, but how's the TWBSI Eco? I've been working lots of overtime lately so I'm itching to expand my collection (Ignoring the cool 160ish I just spent on Kessel's nice rear end products) .

I have many more expensive pens and out of over 30 pens the Eco is always inked, ready to go and used often. I love the look and feel of it and it performs great. That is a pen that I have perpetually used Emerald of Chivor with - great match for the pen. It is also an excellent music writing pen. I have a Pilot Custom 74 music nib and find that I actually use the Eco slightly more. So in summary, get one.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I have big hands but it seems like oversized pens are limited to the higher end price tiers, your montblancs and pilot maki-es and such. Are there any oversized pens in the $150 or lower price range that aren't Jinhao 159s?

I absolutely love my Jinhao 159 and but I'd like something thats a bit more well made.

edit: Also I got a 1.5mm stub and some tomoe river paper and yup Emerald of Chivor certainly looks incredible on it. I just wish there as an easy way to digitize how it looks.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 20, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Sankis posted:

I have big hands but it seems like oversized pens are limited to the higher end price tiers, your montblancs and pilot maki-es and such. Are there any oversized pens in the $150 or lower price range that aren't Jinhao 159s?

I absolutely love my Jinhao 159 and but I'd like something thats a bit more well made.

edit: Also I got a 1.5mm stub and some tomoe river paper and yup Emerald of Chivor certainly looks incredible on it. I just wish there as an easy way to digitize how it looks.

Edison Collier, Laban Mento, Conklin All-American, Monteverde Giant Sequoia, Rosetta Coronado

There are more but that's just off the top of my head.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Sir - I am a big of the Pelikan M800. However, I have recently discovered the Platinum 3776. It's a similar size at a much better price point. I also really like the feedback on the nib. I feel a little bit like a shill at this points as I've mentioned it multiple times in this thread but I really like this pen.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

grack posted:

Edison Collier, Laban Mento, Conklin All-American, Monteverde Giant Sequoia, Rosetta Coronado

IMO, avoid the Conklin & Monteverde pens, my mother bought three of them and all of them have been nothing but trouble with the Conklin one breaking outright within a couple months of purchase and Conklin basically refusing to honor their warranty.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Haven’t the reviews of the new duraflex or whatever been horrid?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sankis posted:

Seconding that Edison suggestion (Conklin and Monteverde, not so much).

If you're interested in Indian ebonite at all, Ranga's been killing it lately. My Model 3 is a beautiful big boy that scratches my big pen itch; it's unexpectedly found its way into my top three daily writers. Their new giant Majestic model is overkill, even for me. If you ever pick one up, I'd highly recommend getting one with a standard Bock or JoWo nib/feed/housing, to keep your options open down the road.

edit: ^^^ (re: Duraflex) Everything I've read has been "meh" at best, and there sure have been a lot of them popping up on the used market.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 20, 2018

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

grack posted:

Thanks a bunch! That Rosetta looks exactly like what I'd want though I can't seem to really find anyone selling it.

Also what is up with every American pen company putting out just the gaudiest looking pens? This is especially true to Conklin.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IMO, avoid the Conklin & Monteverde pens, my mother bought three of them and all of them have been nothing but trouble with the Conklin one breaking outright within a couple months of purchase and Conklin basically refusing to honor their warranty.

I bought that Conklin Duraflex, which is a limited edition duragraph with a special steel flex nib, and it was hot garbage and has basically soured me on Conklin for the future.

Lowness 72 posted:

Sir - I am a big of the Pelikan M800. However, I have recently discovered the Platinum 3776. It's a similar size at a much better price point. I also really like the feedback on the nib. I feel a little bit like a shill at this points as I've mentioned it multiple times in this thread but I really like this pen.

I've been eyeing that pen since the last time it was brought up in this thread. The Goulet pen comparison thing makes it looks fairly large compared to some of the other pens I own. Honestly the only thing that's stopping me from getting one at this point is indecision about which nib I'd want to get.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sankis posted:

Also what is up with every American pen company putting out just the gaudiest looking pens? This is especially true to Conklin.

We're just trying our best to catch up to Italy

(MSRP: € 4.500,00)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The 3776 is a great pen, and if you post your pens when your write it would work well for larger hands.

Get it off of Amazon, though, not Goulet. You'll save a shitload of money buying it from a Japanese seller. You should also be able to fine a Coronado off of Amazon as well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife surprised me with some Strathmore paper for my birthday. I'm happy... right?

(She thought the Tomoe River I was using was some lovely-rear end paper)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

My wife surprised me with some Strathmore paper for my birthday. I'm happy... right?

(She thought the Tomoe River I was using was some lovely-rear end paper)

You know what to do: :sever:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

We're just trying our best to catch up to Italy

(MSRP: € 4.500,00)

This looks like something you'd find at That Place (you know the one) in your local mall that also sold porcelain wizards and knives.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I saw the Stallone pen at the LA show and it really... made an impression on me.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So, uh, what's the deal with the current Lamy 2k shortage?

For a while, I just chalked it up to the switch-over in U.S. distributors. But I'm starting to worry that it's something more than that...?

They're out-of-stock (or partially out-of-stock) at a concerning number of online retailers. A year ago, I could regularly find $100 deals; now even gray-market sellers are up to $140. This morning, I got a Goldspot catalog in the mail, and on its two-page Lamy spread, the 2k wasn't even mentioned.

Please, lay some insider knowledge on me!

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 21, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kessel posted:

I saw the Stallone pen at the LA show and it really... made an impression on me.

Did someone throw it at you?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

grack posted:

Did someone throw it at you?

Fool, if that were the case he wouldn't be alive to tell us about it

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

So, uh, what's the deal with the current Lamy 2k shortage?

For a while, I just chalked it up to the switch-over in U.S. distributors. But I'm starting to worry that it's something more than that...?

They're out-of-stock (or partially out-of-stock) at a concerning number of online retailers. A year ago, I could regularly find $100 deals; now even gray-market sellers are up to $140. This morning, I got a Goldspot catalog in the mail, and on its two-page Lamy spread, the 2k wasn't even mentioned.

Please, lay some insider knowledge on me!

Lamy has officially entered the US market by opening stores. In every single market that it's done that so far, distro stock has dried up. The brand wants control back, and it wants you to buy direct from them.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I bet that goon that kept breaking theirs bought all of them

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Kessel posted:

Lamy has officially entered the US market by opening stores. In every single market that it's done that so far, distro stock has dried up. The brand wants control back, and it wants you to buy direct from them.

But don't they still just have the one storefront in Soho? I haven't heard any announcements about other pending locations. I mean, I'm sure plans are in the works, but nothing seems close to opening...? It seems weird to starve the market dry so far in advance of 98% of U.S. Americans being able to shop in their stores.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

But don't they still just have the one storefront in Soho? I haven't heard any announcements about other pending locations. I mean, I'm sure plans are in the works, but nothing seems close to opening...? It seems weird to starve the market dry so far in advance of 98% of U.S. Americans being able to shop in their stores.

SF has one and I know at least three more are in the works. I don't know what their overall plans are specifically for the US market, but historically every single market they've entered in this way they've pinched the local dealers. It's part of a wider trend where a lot more brands are opening their own boutiques and taking control back, both in the luxury space and in niche spaces.

I can go rustle the tree and see what I can learn, but I'm not too close to the Lamy folks so I may not get anything.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Does a VP broad nib do the same thing with other Pilot nibs where it basically is a step or two finer than it says on the label?

If not, how difficult is it to swap out the nib?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
VP nibs are part of the converter as a single unit so you just unscrew the body and slide the whole thing out.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's not really part of the converter at all, but the nit/feed/bit you attach the converter to is one complete unit (i'd like mine less if I couldn't just fill up an empty cartridge for the extra capacity).

So super easy to convert nib sizes, but it's a big fraction of the cost of a VP to begin with so you're almost better off just buying a new pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MJP posted:

Does a VP broad nib do the same thing with other Pilot nibs where it basically is a step or two finer than it says on the label?

If not, how difficult is it to swap out the nib?

Pilot broad nibs are pretty close to broad nibs from western brands

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

My medium VP was also pretty thick, about the same as a western medium

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Edit: nevermind. Completely forgot I ordered a duplicate pen off of Amazon. I didn't get mail from China 18 hours after I ordered it.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 22, 2018

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh man I just bought a couple of pretty, pretty things.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Does anyone have experience with the Platinum 3776 with the Soft Fine nib? My cursory google searches have made it sound like it has had some issues in the past with quality. I really love me a soft nib and if a pen has one it's hard to pass it up...

This is really the only thing stopping me up from ordering one, my indecision over a soft fine or medium.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

404notfound posted:

My medium VP was also pretty thick, about the same as a western medium

Yeah the VP medium runs bigger than other Pilots I've used, which actually means the Fine VP is the absolute perfect size for me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My VP is a fine too and I think that matches the pen well for my needs. Being retractable I use it for every day stuff and the fine isn’t really thin like some Japanese fines so I find it to be a good compliment for what i use the pen for.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Sankis posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Platinum 3776 with the Soft Fine nib? My cursory google searches have made it sound like it has had some issues in the past with quality. I really love me a soft nib and if a pen has one it's hard to pass it up...

This is really the only thing stopping me up from ordering one, my indecision over a soft fine or medium.

I don't own a 3776, but I've used a couple for short periods of time, and honestly I prefer Pilot's soft nibs to Platinum's. Platinum is known for stiffer nibs in general, so I feel like their soft nibs are kind of... I dunno, what's the opposite of min-maxing? For me personally, if I'm going to buy a Platinum (and I'd love to own a President someday), I'm going to embrace that stiffness, not try to counteract one of the brand's strengths with a specialty nib.

That said, lots of people buy 3776 soft nibs, and lots of people love 'em. As long as you're cool with Platinum's pencil-like feedback, maybe you'll enjoy one too. Of the two, I'd probably go for the SM, but I'm a big medium fan to begin with, so that doesn't say a whole lot.

edit:

Kessel posted:

SF has one and I know at least three more are in the works. I don't know what their overall plans are specifically for the US market, but historically every single market they've entered in this way they've pinched the local dealers. It's part of a wider trend where a lot more brands are opening their own boutiques and taking control back, both in the luxury space and in niche spaces.

I can go rustle the tree and see what I can learn, but I'm not too close to the Lamy folks so I may not get anything.

Interesting. It still seems weird to pinch off supplies so far in a advance; seems like it's going to take at least a few years to get locations opened in a critical mass of U.S. cities. If you do catch any hot Lamy news, I'd love to hear it.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 23, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Sankis posted:

I feel like the nib feedback wouldn't be quite the same on a soft nib. I have a broad and love it (though it can be too broad for note taking). Thinking of a Medium or Fine next.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever tried to remove and replace just the clip of a cheap China FP? I want to try a DIY raden with flakie nail polish but I don't trust myself to succeed on a VP, so I figure if it's doable to take off the clip on a Jinhao or whatnot, I'd do it on that first.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

MJP posted:

Has anyone ever tried to remove and replace just the clip of a cheap China FP? I want to try a DIY raden with flakie nail polish but I don't trust myself to succeed on a VP, so I figure if it's doable to take off the clip on a Jinhao or whatnot, I'd do it on that first.

During various modding experiments, I've taken the clips off a Jinhao x750 and a couple Jinhao 159s. The ends of the caps (i.e., the pieces that hold the clips on) are threaded, but it's a bit of a gamble how big of a glob of glue is lurking underneath. I managed to unscrew one of my 159 endcaps with just my fingers, but the other took some heat and some elbow grease with a pair of section pliers.

The x750 was tricky because the cap's end piece is more rounded and has less surface area to grip. If you can't do the job by hand, some grippy shelf-liner would probably work well.

Just a word of warning, if you're looking to fully disassemble a 159, the endcap on the other side of the pen (i.e. the fake blind cap, opposite the nib) is NOT threaded, even though it seems like it should be. That one will need to be punched out from the inside.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sankis posted:

I have one

It's okay, but I don't love it, mostly because I'm not a fan of Japanese fines

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

howe_sam posted:

I have one

It's okay, but I don't love it, mostly because I'm not a fan of Japanese fines

My opinion on my Metro fine changed a lot when I switched from beefy laser/inkjet paper to Tomoe River. Turns out it communicates a lot less paper texture when there's a lot less paper texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trustworthy posted:

I'd love to own a President someday

Great news! He’s for sale.