Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shinso's quirk sounds like it would be hard to write and make interesting. It's pretty much either useless or broken; there's no middle ground. I expect his hero career would be different ways for him to trick people into talking to him and then calmly hand cuffing them which isn't really that exciting in a shounen comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I unironically hope that the traitor is someone everyone really likes and Shinsou replaces that person and Mineta is still just there.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Hatsume Mei didn't even make the top 50, so that poll is garbage.

Shinso is fine and I honestly don't think he'll be the traitor, if there is one. It's weird that he's in the top 10, but whatever, this poll is bunk anyhow.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Shinso being the traitor would be such a refutation of that character's little mini-arc that it'd have to be executed incredibly well for me to not completely loving hate it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

for the record this poll was done midway through the Overhaul arc with the top ten being published in the chapter right before Bakugou and the others meet the elementary school kids

I can only hope that Jirou and Mina rocket up the ranks after this arc.

Mina was ranked 7th in the American popularity poll, thus making it the only valid one.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm gonna beat up that poll.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh see this makes way more sense and even explains why Setsuno was listed. Does make Mirio being so low even more inexplicable though!

It's funny that Mirio is so low, and yet Tamaki is ranked 17th. People love not-Sasuke.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's frankly ridiculous that Monoma, who has one of the best quirks in the series, is in class B while class A has jokers like Satou. Thorn vine girl also had a pretty kick rear end quirk.

Shinsou's quirk would be great up until he became famous, at which point it would be useless (or earlier for smarter villains who research their opposition). It basically gives him an automatic win against most people who aren't aware of his limitations beforehand. Realistically, it would make sense to keep Shinsou in storage as some sort of special ops hero only used secretly for very important missions. That way the nature of his quirk would stay under wraps.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
As much as the poll annoys me from what I remember people here liked Mirio but didn't -really- start liking him a lot until his big moment in the arc, then that was helped along by his continuing big-brother relationship with Eri.

So I can see why he's not high but that still is no excuse for him being THAT low.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's frankly ridiculous that Monoma, who has one of the best quirks in the series, is in class B while class A has jokers like Satou. Thorn vine girl also had a pretty kick rear end quirk.

Shinsou's quirk would be great up until he became famous, at which point it would be useless (or earlier for smarter villains who research their opposition). It basically gives him an automatic win against most people who aren't aware of his limitations beforehand. Realistically, it would make sense to keep Shinsou in storage as some sort of special ops hero only used secretly for very important missions. That way the nature of his quirk would stay under wraps.

There's like a billion ways he can be effective though, like disguising himself or talking from a distance through a phone.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i liked mirio the moment he was too POWERRRRRRR for his clothes but that's just me

anyway shinsou would probably just not try to get famous. iirc lots of people don't really know who eraserhead is because he intentionally stays low-key because the element of surprise helps his quirk a lot

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Class A and Class B are supposed to be equals. Class A are only the "elite" ones because they keep getting into fights with villains.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I disagree that Monoma has one of the best quirk in the series. So many quirks have hidden downsides or details that he'd be at risk of blowing himself up or something if he took an unknown quirk, not to mention a lot of quirks require practice to use effectively. He'd be great in a team but as a solo hero he'd have a really rough time.

Terper posted:

There's like a billion ways he can be effective though, like disguising himself or talking from a distance through a phone.

The idea that anyone could Shinsou in disguise would be terrifying for a villain.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 21, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

:sympathy:

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Mina not being higher on that poll is a travesty. Japan doesn't deserve anime if this is how they're going to act with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The poll was good because Shigaraki and Shouji got much better positions than I would've expected.

It's super weird that Mei didn't place at all though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

I disagree that Monoma has one of the best quirk in the series. So many quirks have hidden downsides or details that he'd be at risk of blowing himself up or something if he took an unknown quirk, not to mention a lot of quirks require practice to use effectively. He'd be great in a team but as a solo hero he'd have a really rough time.

We saw him use it during the athletic tournament, and even what he displayed there could be incredibly useful. It gives him immense versatility, particularly if he works with a large team. Assuming the wiki is correct, he has access to a quirk for 5 minutes after touching someone, which is more than enough time for most fights. While he can't use two quirks at the same time, he can presumably alternate between their use (edit: or maybe not; the wiki wording sorta implies this but I don't think anything has confirmed it), and the possibilities for how that could be used are literally endless. With the right team and some creativity, he could do some pretty awesome stuff.

The only possible limitation that I don't think has been either confirmed or denied is whether he can "renew" a quirk by touching the same person again after his previous "charge" wears off. If so, then it's undeniably ridiculous, since that would basically effectively make him into a hero capable of alternating between all the powers of his team-mates. If not, he would have to carefully pick and choose when to grab different powers (since copying all his teammates' powers at the beginning of the fight would make him vulnerable after 5 minutes if he couldn't renew the charges).

Speaking of which, Monoma during that tournament kind of implies that All for One could replicate the intrinsic physical aspects of powers, since Monoma replicated Bakugou's explosion (which relies on his nitroglycerin sweat).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still waiting for Monoma to try to copy Deku's quirk in a fight and for it to horribly backfire on him and for Deku to spend most of the fight trying to save him from himself instead of fighting him.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Ytlaya posted:

speaking of which, Monoma during that tournament kind of implies that All for One could replicate the intrinsic physical aspects of powers, since Monoma replicated Bakugou's explosion (which relies on his nitroglycerin sweat).

Didn't All For One turn his arm into a giant hulk hand with wires and stuff sticking out of it when he used all those super impact quirks to match All Might? Granted we didn't see his bare arm before that so the wires and stuff might be part of his messed up medical care rather than quirk generated springs or whatever.

Also, could Monoma use his quirk to copy All For One, and steal All For One from All For One and give it to All Might?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Oxxidation posted:

from what i understand a not-insignificant part of the fandom wants him to replace mineta

purple for purple

It comes up a lot in fanfic and stuff, yeah. It's pretty easy to understand why--people want him to be in the hero course, people want Mineta to stop being terrible, it's a simple swap.

That being said, I don't think it would actually work all that well, because as awful as he is, and as tired as the jokes around him are, Mineta is a comic relief character that you feel good about (comedic) bad stuff happening to. He's the butt of a lot of jokes. Shinsou is most definitely not that, and while his motivations are different, his base personality veers pretty close to Todoroki.

If I had to choose someone to swap in for Mineta, it would probably be Monoma (though it does kind of rob Class B of their best gag). If I had to swap someone out for Shinsou, it'd probably be Korda, though I'm not certain what that would look like narratively.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the only bad thing about that poll is that Ojiro was one number short of being in the color spread

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I'm still waiting for Monoma to try to copy Deku's quirk in a fight and for it to horribly backfire on him and for Deku to spend most of the fight trying to save him from himself instead of fighting him.

I kinda wondered about that myself. All Might said OfA couldn't be forcibly stolen by someone like Stain who drank blood, but I wonder how far that safety extends. I have to assume it also meant it couldn't be taken back by AfO's quirk, otherwise he'd have had an easy way to deal with OfA a long way back. Does that mean it couldn't even be temporarily stolen by a copy quirk like Monoma's?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

On a positive note with the poll Tokoyami being 13 is perfect. Him being #4 would also be acceptable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shigaraki jumped all the way to 15; him wrecking Overhaul seems to have really boosted his popularity. Which is understandable.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Roland Jones posted:

Shigaraki jumped all the way to 15; him wrecking Overhaul seems to have really boosted his popularity. Which is understandable.

Again, this was before that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arist posted:

Again, this was before that.

Oh, it was? Huh. I wonder what made him jump so high then; prior to that, he just had melting the one guy (which in the last poll I saw didn't help him at all, since Overhaul beat him, though that might have been a US poll) and later looking surprisingly nice while he charmed Toga and Twice.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I kinda wondered about that myself. All Might said OfA couldn't be forcibly stolen by someone like Stain who drank blood, but I wonder how far that safety extends. I have to assume it also meant it couldn't be taken back by AfO's quirk, otherwise he'd have had an easy way to deal with OfA a long way back. Does that mean it couldn't even be temporarily stolen by a copy quirk like Monoma's?

Since one aspect of OfA is that it accumulates power over time, it would be funny if Monoma copying it would just give him the power it had when it was first created and not the power it has now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

the only bad thing about that poll is that Ojiro was one number short of being in the color spread

yea you're right, that's way too high

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ojiro needs to be the star of a spinoff in the same universe that's just about Martial Arts Tail Guy and his very, very bizarre life.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I don't think copying quirks counts as stealing them. That said, after seeing all the damage Midoriya did to himself during the tournament, I can't imagine even he would be stupid enough to want to copy One For All.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

PMush Perfect posted:

Ojiro needs to be the star of a spinoff in the same universe that's just about Martial Arts Tail Guy and his very, very bizarre life.

I would 100% be down for a slice-of-life spinoff about absolutely any character in this manga.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Begemot posted:

I would 100% be down for a slice-of-life spinoff about absolutely any character in this manga.

coming this fall, My Hero Mineta

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Nodosaur posted:

I'd read this if only to see how that little pervert is useful as a hero in any capacity.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Mirage posted:

I'd read this if only to see how that little pervert is useful as a hero in any capacity.

He's a pretty lovely person, but his power seems really good for capturing criminals, at least small time ones. Like, I doubt you'll even see him go head to head with anyone from the Vanguard Action Squad, but his balls did a good job capturing all those water criminals during the USJ attacks.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rhonne posted:

He's a pretty lovely person, but his power seems really good for capturing criminals, at least small time ones. Like, I doubt you'll even see him go head to head with anyone from the Vanguard Action Squad, but his balls did a good job capturing all those water criminals during the USJ attacks.

Ironic. He could save others with his balls, but not himself.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 22, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Mineta takes up martial arts and strength building and learns to skillfully chuck his balls at nearby walls before dropkicking villains into them

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mineta is gonna get a growth spurt

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Kild posted:

Mineta is gonna get a growth spurt
God I hope not, can you imagine?

The Darkest Timeline.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Hey, if it worked for Coby in One Piece...

Edit:

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, it was? Huh. I wonder what made him jump so high then; prior to that, he just had melting the one guy (which in the last poll I saw didn't help him at all, since Overhaul beat him, though that might have been a US poll) and later looking surprisingly nice while he charmed Toga and Twice.

While googling "My Hero Academia Shigiraki" for the other thread the third result was "my hero academia shigaraki x reader lemon"

So, probably that.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nodosaur posted:

Never shoulda bought that monkey's paw....