Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Awesome, i mean ive played 3 and 4 enough times that im pretty satisfied for quite a while but hellllll yeah ill play them again

Havent played 5 since US launch so that will be nice to revisit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck yes. So you can get the entire mainline series on PS4.

I don't think there's any chance this doesn't get an English release, considering the translations are already done.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

univbee posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck yes. So you can get the entire mainline series on PS4.

I don't think there's any chance this doesn't get an English release, considering the translations are already done.

This is gonna fuckin' rule. Yakuza 5 especially I think will be positively reevaluated in some ways - that game at 60FPS isn't going to play significantly differently from 0 and the combat already has the beginnings of what's going on in 6 in it. It's a great game even if the story is the most disjointed and unfocused.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

I'm too excited to play games I've already played before. Too bad there's not a remaster for Dead Souls.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I wonder if these are going to be Kiwami-style remasters or if they'll just get upscaled

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

mp5 posted:

I wonder if these are going to be Kiwami-style remasters or if they'll just get upscaled

Press release says just upscaled.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Shenmue HD preorder numbers probably came in and it made sense.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

demons. souls. remake. please!

also translate that yakuza fist of the north star game please

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Catfishenfuego posted:

My favourite bit in Yakuza 0 is definitely when Kiryu says that the important thing about money is to make sure you use it responsibly to help people and then I immediately snorted a billion dollars to get slightly better at punching random men in the street.

Punching is Kiryu's means to help people.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'll take upscaled and then I'll take Kiwami 3 4 and 5 on my ps5, right before Kiwami 0 and Kiwami Kiwami 1 on my ps6

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ryuga Death posted:

I'm too excited to play games I've already played before. Too bad there's not a remaster for Dead Souls.

I would unironically be down with that. The game wasnt great but it definitely had its charms and I feel the batshit insane controls were overly trashed. Yea they were kind of insane but they had a sort of logic to them once you got used to them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Playing 6 after spending a bunch of time getting through 4 and 5 is really nice, just because I had gotten used to the lower resolution, making the 4k stand out even more in comparison. I also get the impression 6 was made more with 4k in mind than 0, though I could be wrong about this; it just seems to look considerably better and have more detailed environments that look great in the higher resolution.

I also love having Onomichi as a location. Onomichi is pretty much my absolute ideal combination of urban environment and geography, and it's very enjoyable just walking around in the game; my only gripe is that the area isn't any bigger, but given how detailed is I can understand why.

edit: Unrelated, but one thing that bugged me a bit about Yakuza 5 is that, from what I can tell, cop dude from 4 literally never shows up, even in a cameo. I wasn't a terribly big fan of him in 4, but it's surprising they didn't let an actual playable character make an appearance. I guess it's not that surprising given that most of the game takes place outside of Kamurocho.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 22, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Playing 6 after spending a bunch of time getting through 4 and 5 is really nice, just because I had gotten used to the lower resolution, making the 4k stand out even more in comparison. I also get the impression 6 was made more with 4k in mind than 0, though I could be wrong about this; it just seems to look considerably better and have more detailed environments that look great in the higher resolution.

I also love having Onomichi as a location. Onomichi is pretty much my absolute ideal combination of urban environment and geography, and it's very enjoyable just walking around in the game; my only gripe is that the area isn't any bigger, but given how detailed is I can understand why.

edit: Unrelated, but one thing that bugged me a bit about Yakuza 5 is that, from what I can tell, cop dude from 4 literally never shows up, even in a cameo. I wasn't a terribly big fan of him in 4, but it's surprising they didn't let an actual playable character make an appearance. I guess it's not that surprising given that most of the game takes place outside of Kamurocho.

I liked Onomichi but the poem stones thing was a pain in the rear end. I figured the solution out right away, I had already found them all, so now I have to remember where they all are, which ends up with me trying to remember which one I haven’t been to yet... god, just have Kiryu take a picture because he thinks it’s neat or something if you find them earlier on

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

abagofcheetos posted:

I would unironically be down with that. The game wasnt great but it definitely had its charms and I feel the batshit insane controls were overly trashed. Yea they were kind of insane but they had a sort of logic to them once you got used to them.

Yeah, Dead Souls had a fair number of issues but I honestly loved it. After getting used to the controls and abusing the auto aim, the game is just a lot of dumb fun.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So this announcement means that we probably won't see a kiwami 3 until the ps5 rolls around I would guess.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

So this announcement means that we probably won't see a kiwami 3 until the ps5 rolls around I would guess.

It’s more likely Sega dumps them all out at once, then the individual sales numbers not being great means “there’s no real interest outside Japan” despite the remasters selling better in the US than Japan on account of Japan being a tiny market.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I understand that it’s nice for people who discovered the franchise late but I honestly want the team to develop new games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Housh posted:

I understand that it’s nice for people who discovered the franchise late but I honestly want the team to develop new games.

Doing stuff like Kiwami 2 in the new engine is pretty cool to me since they were really ambitious games and the tech wasn’t always there, but just uprezzing old games seems like a great way to disappoint.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Housh posted:

Sega confirmed that they're working on an original IP in addition to Shin Yakuza. Hopefully people actually turn out this time unlike what happened with Binary Domain despite it being the best Gears of War game.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Plus there's the Fist of the North Star game too

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

man hearing about the remasters then learning it’s just an upres was a rollercoaster. ive bounced off all of these games hard due to the constant load times and transition scenes and general jankiness that just made it impossible for me to get a groove going but picked up yakuza 6 hearing that stuff was fixed and indeed loved it. was excited to play the previous stories in the new engine but probably going to pass on these now

kiwami 2 should be cool tho

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kiwami 3 doesn't need to be a thing. 3-5 are close enough to current Yakuza for the HD remasters to be more than enough.

1080/60 is some goood poo poo

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I just want to be able to save anywhere in 3-5.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'd imagine Kiwami 3 will be the fallback plan if Shin Yakuza doesn't do as well as they hope

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i'd bet that it comes down to the devtime to make a kiwami and also to give enough solo shelf time for the titles. right now they're dedicated to at least 4 yakuza titles (3-5, new) and they don't want 3-5's release schedule to overlap with the new title and all the marketing they'd have planned (across all regions). they've also publicly talked about being careful about flooding the market with titles and want to make sure they don't exhaust their audience

localisation's already talked about trying to get titles into more than english as well, so there's a lot of extra work going on behind the scenes. the engine upgrade sounds like it's helped things along, but that doesn't mean that 3-5 will be fine since it doesn't sound like they'd be on the new engine (but the effort required to port is odd)

good luck to localisation dealing with 3 more yakuza games to localise and bring to their standards when it's inevitably confirmed

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly uprezzed 5 is probably going to look a lot like 0 given that it was also a PS3 game in Japan, so I wouldn't be too disappointed. 4 and 5 are pretty long in the tooth if you are playing them on an actual PS3 hooked up to an HD monitor in TYOOL 2018 so this was a nice surprise.

e: Also pretty stoked I won't have to pay reseller tax to play 3.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrNutt posted:

Honestly uprezzed 5 is probably going to look a lot like 0 given that it was also a PS3 game in Japan, so I wouldn't be too disappointed. 4 and 5 are pretty long in the tooth if you are playing them on an actual PS3 hooked up to an HD monitor in TYOOL 2018 so this was a nice surprise.

e: Also pretty stoked I won't have to pay reseller tax to play 3.

You might as well wait for PS4, but videogamesplus has new copies of Yakuza 3 for $49.99 CAD. They got I think two reprints of the whole 1-4 PS2-PS3 series done.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

https://twitter.com/DiamondDogKaz/status/999062042714755072?s=19

the real reason for HD Yakuza 3-5

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It’s a resolution!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Very early on in 6 (within the first two chapters) there’s a substory about a little girl in Children’s Park who wants Kiryu to find a certain item for her. I did so, after jumping through an appropriately Yakuza number of hoops, and she left the map, and the task list tells me she seemed happy. However, the substory isn’t complete (according to the awards list). I figured I needed to go away and come back later.

It’s now early in chapter 12. Night has fallen on Kamurocho. poo poo has officially gotten so Real that even the objective description is telling me “this is personal now”. But I need help because still don’t know where to go to resolve that substory, and no chance in hell will I go back to Hiroshima without every drat thing completed in this town. Except maybe Fantasy Zone, that game is garbage.

If it helps, I ported a save from the demo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some won't trigger at night so you have no choice but to move on

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's not like the little girl is going to let her daughter stand around the park alone in the middle of the night, after all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You might as well wait for PS4, but videogamesplus has new copies of Yakuza 3 for $49.99 CAD. They got I think two reprints of the whole 1-4 PS2-PS3 series done.

I probably will, in fact I'm just going to stop playing 5 now and wait for it on the PS4 because I have like 300 hours of Persona to get through and despite 3 and 4 being PS2 games they are somehow easier on the eyes than Yak 5. Can't wait to replay Yak 4 looking almost as good as 0/Kiwami.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd like to congratulate myself as I beat Yakuza 5 a day before they announced the remasters so you can all thank me. I still think 5's ending sucks but hey remasters!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfP1bs9Vkk

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Got 50k points in fantasy zone finally. I have no idea why, since it’s not like I needed it for plat, I just didn’t want to let that lovely game beat me.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Got 50k points in fantasy zone finally. I have no idea why, since it’s not like I needed it for plat, I just didn’t want to let that lovely game beat me.

:same: except for the part where you have 50k and I can’t beat that giant tree rear end in a top hat of a boss

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Policenaut posted:

I'd like to congratulate myself as I beat Yakuza 5 a day before they announced the remasters so you can all thank me. I still think 5's ending sucks but hey remasters!

Thanks to the old Yakuza threads, I just figure that if anything good happens with the series, it's something you did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Walker posted:

:same: except for the part where you have 50k and I can’t beat that giant tree rear end in a top hat of a boss

Use the triggers to shoot because it’s basically a turbo button, and use the line of death it gives you to play super, super defensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I beat the game and am now in a sort of emotional fugue state. I absolutely do not know what to do with myself. :(

• Locked thread