Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So after seeing the movie, I can comfortably say that I felt it was better than the first in everyway.

The jokes were much more funny, the story was more "epic", the cast was more memorable, and there were lots of great set pieces.

I was wondering if comeback was a big theme of the film? I mean, the trailer opened up with the lyrics "Don't call it a comeback!", abd the film featured two well known comeback songs ("Thunderstruck" and "If I Can Turn Back Time").

Or am I looking into it too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got back from seeing it, it owned. It was an improvement over the already pretty great first part in almost every aspect. It felt just a tiny bit unfocused/scattered at times, but more than made up for it with the great cast. Domino in particular pretty much stole the show in every scene she was in. It'd have been nice to see a bit more of Super Nega Overlong Name and Yukio, perhaps in exchange for a bit less Bar Guy and Dopinder. My only real criticism would be that some of the fight scenes in the first act seemed to lean particularly heavily on shaky cam and closeups to the point where it got a bit difficult to follow at times, though that might just have been a consequence of sitting a bit closer to the screen than usual.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Based on the whole bit in the movie about Domino's luck gently guiding her where she needs to be, presumably its response to an overwhelming power it couldn't directly combat would be to keep her from their attention, like when she quietly steps out of sight of Juggernaut.

Oh yeah, that part was hilarious. Just looking at this big old motherfucker and going NOOOOPE. :allears:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It bothered me that the Juggernaut gave a poo poo that Russell shared his food considering that there is no way that it could fill him up.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Alan_Shore posted:

How do you even fight Domino? How do you beat luck?

There was a late-90's comic series called Contest of Champions II that was essentially "aliens trick superheroes into taking part in a fighting tournament." Domino ended up losing to Spider-Man because luck is only so good up against someone who can kind of predict your attacks.

One thing I found interesting in that story was that three of the fights were voter based. One of the fights was Deadpool vs. Daredevil and even in the late-90's, Deadpool had enough of a following to win that popularity contest.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

cancer patient vs blind guy

a throwdown for the ages as far as equal opportunity goes

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

punk rebel ecks posted:

It bothered me that the Juggernaut gave a poo poo that Russell shared his food considering that there is no way that it could fill him up.

How? The token that counts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks posted:

he'd probably just never had someone do that for him before, or not in a long time. he's not usually portrayed as a horrible person, just kind of an angry dick who's used to everyone being terrified of him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Gavok posted:

There was a late-90's comic series called Contest of Champions II that was essentially "aliens trick superheroes into taking part in a fighting tournament." Domino ended up losing to Spider-Man because luck is only so good up against someone who can kind of predict your attacks.

One thing I found interesting in that story was that three of the fights were voter based. One of the fights was Deadpool vs. Daredevil and even in the late-90's, Deadpool had enough of a following to win that popularity contest.

I want to see something like this done again. But only manga characters versus comic characters.

Goku vs Superman
Deadpool vs Dio
Luffy vs Thor
Hit vs Flash
One Punch Man vs Diamond
Spiderman vs Deku

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gavok posted:

also, i'm actually kind of blanking on if comic Domino's power works differently from movie Domino, but if not, this is bull poo poo

like, the fact that he can predict her attacks means nothing if every time he tries to do something about it, he falls flat on his goddamn rear end

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Peter Parker is already used to being unlucky all the time. What could Domino possibly do to a guy who keeps getting dicked over by the universe?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Peter Parker is already used to being unlucky all the time. What could Domino possibly do to a guy who keeps getting dicked over by the universe?

I mean, one of Peter's supporting Cast members literally has luck powers.

So, something like this: https://youtu.be/oBViRcXzoJA

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mania posted:

Iirc, way back when they were talking potential sequels to Deadpool, someone brought up Taskmaster and it appears that the rights for Taskmaster have returned to Disney/Marvel.

Never thought I would be sad about Marvel getting back their film rights, Tasky would have been way more amazing in a DP movie over the MCU.

Doesn't Disney own Fox now?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Doesn't Disney own Fox now?

not yet thankfully

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Comcast is in on the action now. https://www.ft.com/content/c345c754-5e83-11e8-9334-2218e7146b04

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, i'm actually kind of blanking on if comic Domino's power works differently from movie Domino, but if not, this is bull poo poo

like, the fact that he can predict her attacks means nothing if every time he tries to do something about it, he falls flat on his goddamn rear end

Comic Domino's luck is only in effect some of the time, and isn't reliable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Domino crucially never seems to outright rely on her luck in the movie, it seems likely that she herself doesn't know its limits and doesn't push her luck unless she has no other choice.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Slightly Absurd posted:

Kinda interesting stuff re: a trope that was discussed earlier

Gail Simone is the "creator" of the "Women in Fridges" trope
https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/999283172171964416

And also a noted Deadpool author, so very relevant. Can't believe I didn't connect the dots there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

punk rebel ecks posted:

I want to see something like this done again. But only manga characters versus comic characters.

Goku vs Superman
Deadpool vs Dio
Luffy vs Thor
Hit vs Flash
One Punch Man vs Diamond
Spiderman vs Deku

Goku vs Superman: Goku
Deadpool vs Dio: Deadpool
Luffy vs Thor: Thor
Hit vs Flash: Flash
One Punch Man vs Diamond: One Punch Man
Spiderman vs Deku: They wouldn't fight, they'd be best friends. They'd just hang out and talk about school and hero stuff.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Domino crucially never seems to outright rely on her luck in the movie, it seems likely that she herself doesn't know its limits and doesn't push her luck unless she has no other choice.

Well she did just sit there when she landed in the truck and let the guy pull the trigger and then jam. She could have taken him out before he got his gun pointed at her.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Spiderman vs Deku: They wouldn't fight, they'd be best friends. They'd just hang out and talk about school and hero stuff.

How would Deadpool beat Dio?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Supposedly, whomever buys Fox, Disney still gets the Marvel rights. Some sort of clause that reverts the rights in event of a sale.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Though this day and age is tragic I want Marvel to own it all but wish for creative staff like Reynolds Deadpool crew to get free reign.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

On the one hand the films have been profitable so why would they want to stop them, on the other disney has such a firm hand on the universe and what can be done in it, its hard to see them incorporating deadpool into it, let alone with free reign.

Its strange, before deadpool I would have been super excited to see disney get the x-men back and bring them into the shared universe. The mutants were always the best thing about marvel, not people who build a suit, or get bitten by a spider, be part of a medical experiment gone wrong, etc, but just a whole class of people born into it with powers ranging from godlike to physically debilitating. They made such a colorful part of the universe that its really been the big thing missing from the MCU.

Now though, I'm incredibly mixed on the idea, because while I don't care a lick about the completely inconsistent and weird main x-men films, I really don't want interesting stuff in the comic book genre like deadpool or logan to just get swept away never to return.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Superman vs Goku is a can of worms. Goku is ungodly powerful, especially when you consider the Tournament of Power only took 40 minutes. Thus, they were going at ludrcious super speeds that would make the Flash seem slow. But Superman is also stupidly godly powerful in some interpretations. Like punching the walls of reality or becoming made of literal narrative and thus being unbeatable (like, one of that variants Superman's superpowers is explicitly ALWAYS becoming as strong as needed to beat his opponent because he is a living story.)

In this situation, it's best to go back to what Stan Lee said when asked if the Hulk or Thor were strong:

"It depends on whose writing the story. If he's a Hulk fan, Hulk will be stronger. If he's a Thor fan, Thor will be stronger. Because, I don't want this to go further than this room, but these are fictitious characters."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol, Stan Lee rules

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tom Guycot posted:

On the one hand the films have been profitable so why would they want to stop them, on the other disney has such a firm hand on the universe and what can be done in it, its hard to see them incorporating deadpool into it, let alone with free reign.

Its strange, before deadpool I would have been super excited to see disney get the x-men back and bring them into the shared universe. The mutants were always the best thing about marvel, not people who build a suit, or get bitten by a spider, be part of a medical experiment gone wrong, etc, but just a whole class of people born into it with powers ranging from godlike to physically debilitating. They made such a colorful part of the universe that its really been the big thing missing from the MCU.

Now though, I'm incredibly mixed on the idea, because while I don't care a lick about the completely inconsistent and weird main x-men films, I really don't want interesting stuff in the comic book genre like deadpool or logan to just get swept away never to return.

He can always go back on his word, but Disney’s CEO has repeatedly said he believes there’s a place for a brand that publishes Marvel movies like Logan and Deadpool. Money moves mountains, even at Disney.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'd imagine Deadpool in the MCU would be just fine. So far, the MCU has nailed every character pretty much perfectly, though I'd be willing to bet they'd want to tone Deadpool down to a pg-13, which probably wouldn't be a big deal. Comics Deadpool really doesn't delve into R territory very often. They could just leave however many "fucks"/"shits" they're allowed for pg-13 to Deadpool, and it probably wouldn't even be that noticeable

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slightly Absurd posted:

I'd imagine Deadpool in the MCU would be just fine. So far, the MCU has nailed every character pretty much perfectly, though I'd be willing to bet they'd want to tone Deadpool down to a pg-13, which probably wouldn't be a big deal. Comics Deadpool really doesn't delve into R territory very often. They could just leave however many "fucks"/"shits" they're allowed for pg-13 to Deadpool, and it probably wouldn't even be that noticeable

I believe Kevin Feige has said or indicated that they would just let Deadpool do its thing and not mess with it.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its not just the swearing though, I'm not sure PG-13 could get away with deadpool getting pegged by his girlfriend, ripped in half by juggernaut, people getting graphically final destinationed by domino, or some of the jokes like wearing the 'white pants'.

Maybe, but, I think the worry is more about the content they could even include and not just vocal "fucks".

I'm glad to hear the CEO seems like they're ok with continuing them, but you never know if that 'OK' turns into note after note about what they have to change, what they can't do, cut that joke there, don't say that, etc.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eh, comics Deadpool curses but it’s bleeped and the violence has always been there.

He kinda needs to be R. It’s what sets him apart from the other comic movies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm of the same opinion though I'd add Legion to that list at the end.

The x-men were always one of the more interesting aspects of the marvel universe explicitly because they are a subtle attempt to rehabilitate the implicit fascist undertones that the superhero genre suffers from. They are people who are not elevated by their powers but cursed by them and serve as an allegory for persecuted minorities (successfully or not is debatable).

Meanwhile the heroes that make up the MCU almost universally revel in their powers (the Hulk being the big exception) and up until Civil War were loved for them. Even spider man is popular in a way that doesn't happen in the comics, no daily bugle editions saying he is a menace or anything.

The X-men barging in with their angst and struggle to understand their relationship with humanity feels like it would be a pretty big tonal dissonance at best. Especially because the X-men movies now have their own built up mythology and history in their movies that has quite a few babies mixed up in the bathwater.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I love R Deadpool, and hope they keep it up. But I still imagine they could have Deadpool in a pg-13 movie and it'd be fine. It doesn't seem like violence is really a big deal for pg-13, and they could maybe pull a fourth wall break and say Dr. Kevin Feige installed a chip in Deadpool like they did to Cartman in the South Park movie and it censors whatever he might say that's too blue for pg-13 with a BLEEP or something.

I don't want this to happen, but I could see them doing something along these lines and it not being all that bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I want to watch a Deadpool versus Dio fight. Is that weird?

Slightly Absurd posted:

Comics Deadpool really doesn't delve into R territory very often.

The comics are even more violent and risqué than the films.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm of the same opinion though I'd add Legion to that list at the end.

The x-men were always one of the more interesting aspects of the marvel universe explicitly because they are a subtle attempt to rehabilitate the implicit fascist undertones that the superhero genre suffers from. They are people who are not elevated by their powers but cursed by them and serve as an allegory for persecuted minorities (successfully or not is debatable).

Meanwhile the heroes that make up the MCU almost universally revel in their powers (the Hulk being the big exception) and up until Civil War were loved for them. Even spider man is popular in a way that doesn't happen in the comics, no daily bugle editions saying he is a menace or anything.

The X-men barging in with their angst and struggle to understand their relationship with humanity feels like it would be a pretty big tonal dissonance at best. Especially because the X-men movies now have their own built up mythology and history in their movies that has quite a few babies mixed up in the bathwater.

I forgot about Legion, it almost stands apart as something special and not even a part of the x-men thing that I often forget.

I agree with all that, and I think its still successful since its the only place I can think of in mainstream comics where it was a class of people hated and persecuted through no fault of their own, who often have to try and 'pass' as normal, and others who are disfigured looking and end up in the sewers or something. Run away kids, homeless people, locked up in prison colonies in some countries, people trying to cure it with some desperate for a cure, and others who think theres nothing to cure, and just, yeah.

It really is a unique thing, and even in the movie where deadpool pokes at them for being an outdated allegory for racism, they have kids abused in basically a christian gay conversion therapy place. I remember even in X-2 they had that line with the ice kids parent's telling him they still love him, but has he ever tried just not being a mutant.

Also while I agree it has a big tonal dissonance with the MCU so far, I think that tonal shift of having to face that is just the shot in the arm the MCU needs to help it from going stale. Honestly if they would leave deadpool completely alone to do its thing, but rebooted the rest of the x-men universe into the MCU I would be very happy. I would even be ok with keeping the same actors (though that might be really, really weird for audiences), because the way they're doing the timeline is so hosed. The first reboot was in the 60's, then the 70's, then the 80's, and the next is going to be the 90's but, jesus everyone still looks the same as in the 60's so its getting ridiculous.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

The comics are even more violent and risqué than the films.

I'll admit, I haven't read a whole lot of recent Deadpool comics, there was a time a while back when they had like 50 different titles coming out at once, and it kinda burned me out.

I'll agree, yeah, Deadpool can often be way more violent in the comics, the medium allows for that. But I'd say, on average, comics Deadpool isn't that risqué. It's not like it's some sort of porno comic only for adults, it's largely targeted, or made appropriate for teens, like PG-13.

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 24, 2018

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Supposedly, whomever buys Fox, Disney still gets the Marvel rights. Some sort of clause that reverts the rights in event of a sale.

That would be best of the both worlds.

Supposedly the Fox sale also hinge on the pending merger of TW and ATT.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Slightly Absurd posted:

I'll admit, I haven't read a whole lot of recent Deadpool comics, there was a time a while back when they had like 50 different titles coming out at once, and it kinda burned me out.

I'll agree, yeah, Deadpool can often be way more violent in the comics, the medium allows for that. But I'd say, on average, comics Deadpool isn't that risqué. It's not like it's some sort of porno comic only for adults, it's largely targeted, or made appropriate for teens, like PG-13.

There's still a difference, comic books don't have age ratings enforced by the places that sell them (mostly), the R rating gives the Deadpool movies a lot of freedom to work with, and having gory violence, sex and scatological humour all on the table has definitely rang true to Deadpool's character and aesthetic. He's always been a bit like the Punisher with the opposite tone; a character existing on the fringes of the Marvel universe (in any version, really) who engages in things that the superheroes and supervillains don't generally acknowledge, a professional murderer and hellraiser who still has a moral compass, if a dodgy one, leading him to be tolerated and even occasionally useful to the proper superhero crowd. (and he's a surprisingly good ally to Cable once they're on the same page, a similar antihero with few scruples, though just enough that he feels a need to be a better example lest someone like Deadpool become influenced to be even more amoral) Even before the Disney buyout, Marvel's kept pretty heavy tone control on their movies.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wild ricocheting of bullets hitting all their marks, leaping off a bridge without looking, running through traffic in a warzone without looking, abandoning the wheel only to end up where she wanted to go..

Aside from the reactive stuff (like falling onto the one safe spot to fall) she's quite proactive with "leaping into suicidal things without a scratch."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Punisher vs all of the above: Punisher

Even Goku, he'd probably explode in the middle of one of those long screaming matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wild ricocheting of bullets hitting all their marks, leaping off a bridge without looking, running through traffic in a warzone without looking, abandoning the wheel only to end up where she wanted to go..

Aside from the reactive stuff (like falling onto the one safe spot to fall) she's quite proactive with "leaping into suicidal things without a scratch."

Point there. My memory is terrible.

She pairs well with Deadpool, whose superpower is the ability to survive his own idiocy.

• Locked thread