Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Goddamn, the new Alkaloid. :stare:

Also lmao if you can't get down with some Van Canto just get outta my face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3XVdmalBdI

This is one of the worst things I've ever heard wow

e: a palate cleanser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjcokrMs4uU

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Epic Bacon: the band

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the kind of poo poo you come up with when you're stuck in traffic and banging out a beat on the steering wheel.

Most of us have the sense to let it die there.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
As an aficionado of stupid gimmick bands, I will say that Van Canto wore out their welcome after like two songs. I grant them that emulating the bass line in Nightwish - Wishmaster by just going "riddily diddily riddily diddily" was pretty loving funny, but other than that I can not be bothered with their poo poo.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

After being terrible, the fact that they cheat and have a real drummer is their biggest crime.

One of my favorite unique bands, Sear Bliss, are making a new album after 6 years. Super excited for it, especially because their original trombone player Zoltan Pai is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofl-FHkCJxo

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 23, 2018

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well poo poo
https://twitter.com/intronaut/status/999437692273332224?s=21

Apparently he beats his girlfriend

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well coming off that positive note, got to hang out in voice with 2 of the dudes from Wilderun tonight, owned super loving hard. Apparently they are super good buddies with Aether Realm who kick major rear end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dimebags Brain posted:

After being terrible, the fact that [Van Canto] cheat and have a real drummer is their biggest crime.

It would have been so obvious to have someone beatbox, but nope. They had to suck and be boring instead.

I want to hear beatboxed double bass drum and blastbeats.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

il_cornuto posted:

This is one of the worst things I've ever heard wow

e: a palate cleanser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjcokrMs4uU

I hope you get hit by a bus
Why?
Black metal sucks

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

rude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLspGr_ukbo

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 24, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

I hope you get hit by a bus
Why?
Black metal sucks

I always thought it was funny for a retro thrash band to try to start beef over subgenres, like come on guys

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
The new Alkaloid is loving amazing, AOTY, maybe even all time top 10 for me, and I normally avoid death/tech death/prog like the plague. They have some sort of magic sauce going on here - there's some much poo poo, timing changes, genre mash-ups ( within songs and as an album ), it's organized chaos and I love it. I just can't get bored no matter how many times I've listened to this, there is so much to unpack and so much stuff I keep discovering every song and full album playthrough and that's helped by the fantastic production - you can hear every instrument clearly if you listen for it. I do still keep going back to Kernel Panic though, I can't get enough of it and can just keep listening to it on repeat. I wish they had more merch, I don't want a physical copy but I'd love to support these guys another way. They're just so different, I can't think of any direct comparisons, and I'm sure a large part of my love for these guys and this album is due to the uniqueness of it.

The new Amorphis though...I don't know, as a long time fan, and how much I loved Under a Red Cloud I just...I can't get into it. It does everything "right", melodies are standard Amorphis, production is clean, but it just doesn't grip me. I've given it a few spins and I don't connect with it at all, maybe it's too "samey" from the previous album, or maybe the new Alkaloid is distracting me or has changed my tastes/standards, or maybe it's because I've been listening to Amorphis for 28 years ( holy gently caress ) and it seems wrote? Amongst stars is a stand-out track however and even though it feels like I've heard it before, Anneke really makes it stand-out.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2018

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Gig report: Discomfort, Messa and Chevalier

Discomfort are a blackened crust band.

Messa: I was worried that they wouldn't work live and they kind of don't. When they play doom metal, they're serviceable to good; when they bring everything to a stop for ambient noodling, they suck. They do the second thing too often. Also they need to get another member - having one guy switch between bass and rhythm guitar in between songs is some poverty-rear end poo poo even by Italian standards.

Chevalier are loving amazing :piss: Go see them live if you have the chance (and you like them, I guess). I honestly can't remember the last time I left a metal concert this sweaty. RIP to my neck and also to my ears because I didn't bring earplugs and the location was a hole in the wall that fits maybe 100 people and I ended up in the third row from the back, which also was the second row from the front

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Chevalier is a really good band. They seem to have found the right vibe that many old-style heavy metal bands can't pin down.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
My wife just linked this to me, and it is surprisingly awesome:

Bloodywood - Ari Ari Ari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FqGPRQWFM

"You have no idea how hard it is to play guitar on a camel"

"Indian metal band Bloodywood remakes a classic Indian folk song into a gut wrenching Metal song that redefines Unity, diversity and what humans are forgetting to practice these days!"

It kind of plays like a [edit]less-aggressive[/edit] Punjabi Body Count, which is exactly what you are expecting.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 25, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Trip report: Sleep.

The concert was played in the absolute best location; Freetown Christiania, Denmark, aka the 420 smoke weed erryday stoner capital of northern Europe. Everyone was stoned out of their loving gourds and drunk as gently caress before the show even started, and it only descended into further sweaty depravity from there.

It was perfect.

(And the kebab joints in the area must have sold like 10x more than usual after the concert)

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Sleep has become the rick & morty of metal

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

coarse words

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
mdf report: incantation owned, defeated sanity owned, mantar owned

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Sleep has become the rick & morty of metal

that's probably like alestorm or someone

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

mdf report: incantation owned, defeated sanity owned, mantar owned

Did you see master's hammer

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

A human heart posted:

that's probably like alestorm or someone

nah, they're not disproportionately popular among nerds nor have an obnoxiously vocal fanbase

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

nah, they're not disproportionately popular among nerds nor have an obnoxiously vocal fanbase

So Tool, then.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

symbolic posted:

So Tool, then.

maybe back in the day, thankfully tool have been on hiatus for so long.

face it, it's sleep

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I like Sleep, but they don't define my personality hth

Jumping on the Alkaloid love train btw, holy poo poo it's good.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

kinda like rick and morty :v:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kinda like rick and morty :v:

rick and morty has been on hiatus for...a year?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Is there any dentistry-themed goregrind

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

face it, it's sleep

Tool are literally active right now. Rick and Morty makes people feel smart for liking it. Half of Sleep’s appeal is that they’re dumb.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

Did you see master's hammer

That’s not until tomorrow.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Vulture Culture posted:

Gingifightus has to be a band.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Root Carnal.

In a flowery illegible metal font of course.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I have no idea how I missed this, but Light This City are back together and released a new album today. 10 years ago they imploded right when they were gaining some good traction so it's nice to see them back.
Genre is melodeath bordering on metalcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHye5tPEPy8

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dry Socket definitely sounds like it would be a Jersey Shore slam band

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Slam Worldwide Exclusive: Periodontal Disease - Slams of a Molar Empire

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Good band: the aesthetic of the Nazi dentist from Marathon Man
Bad band: actual Nazi dentists

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Vulture Culture posted:

Holy Molar was a dentist themed more sci-fi punk grind band

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Wow, nobody remembers the Cavity Creeps from the 70s?!?! I'm too old...

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I just watched the Cavity Creeps commericals and now I'm angry that the Crest-mobile has a siren that just yells CREST in a high pitched whining voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow, nobody remembers the Cavity Creeps from the 70s?!?! I'm too old...

Murphy’s Law had the ol cavity creep chant “we make holes in teeth!”