Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Solar Coaster posted:

Wife and I were thrilled last weekend to have our offer accepted on an older house. Our offer was contingent on the home passing a thorough inspection. The only thing going into the inspection that we were a little concerned about was that the city had the home registered with around 982 sqft for the home, where as the listing was 1100 sqft. While the home was over 100 years old, we chalked up the mismatch to poor record keeping.

Well yesterday was the inspection and the home failed it. The bones of the original house were great but there were two glaring issues the inspector found. First off, our inspector has looked at nearly 1000 homes in their career and this one was one of 4 homes she refused to get into the crawlspace to look around. Why? Well apparently there was a major rat infestation recently. The live rats moved out, but bodies and a shitload of feces were left which posed a huge health risk.

The other issue was the master bedroom "addon" that was done. Turns out, not only was it not to code, but the city had no idea it existed. It was cleverly done behind the house so the work could be hidden from the front. They built the entire master bedroom on top of a deck that was originally outside. There is no foundation whatsoever under the bedroom. The work involved to simply fix this issue was essentially tearing down 1 side of the house, digging up the deck, pouring a new foundation, and then rebuilding everything.

We walked.

Still bummed about it because if it was done properly and the previous owners care enough to take care of the rats, we would have had our dream home.
gently caress scamming owners. Now we gotta get back into the home shopping game again. Thanks to the housing crisis here, our options for affordable homes are limited as it is.

Such is life.
Did you or the inspector rat them out to the city? Say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I present to you the ugliest new-build poo poo out of all the ugly new-build poo poo in Philadelphia:

https://m.imgur.com/7fRpcKR

(And Philly has a lot of really ugly new-build poo poo.)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Phanatic posted:

I present to you the ugliest new-build poo poo out of all the ugly new-build poo poo in Philadelphia:

Almost like a spite house.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

Why? Like what does the not-quite-covered deck with an open roof even do?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

What is the point of that top piece supported by the columns

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's like a bad two-piece origami.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Polio Vax Scene posted:

What is the point of that top piece supported by the columns

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND MY CREATIVE VISION.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Phanatic posted:

The giant T-Rex head on top distracted me from excessive use of sideways windows.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I need to post pictures from my little sister's new house. I did a walk around with my dad a few weeks after she closed and lol'd at a lot. Like the tarred(maybe?) wirecaps on the overhead wires to the garage. Or the unflashed roof on the station wagon box in the garage. Or the fact that her garage has a station wagon box. Or the dryer vent cap held on by caulk and unattached screws.

I didn't even get into the house because they were refinishing the floors.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's kind of common in Chicago for people to extend their homes out over the deck, or the back stairwell. Normally though there's already a foundation so it's not that big of a deal. I'd like to imagine this is a bedroom sitting on 4 posts slowly sicking into the ground.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's kind of common in Chicago for people to extend their homes out over the deck, or the back stairwell. Normally though there's already a foundation so it's not that big of a deal. I'd like to imagine this is a bedroom sitting on 4 posts slowly sicking into the ground.
Chicago: Futureshock

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

Holy poo poo that's ugly. Where is it in Philly?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Splicer posted:

Did you or the inspector rat them out to the city? Say yes.

At the very least, the sellers are required by law to disclose the crappy addition now.
They won't. Rat them out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

The giant T-Rex head on top distracted me from excessive use of sideways windows.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks I need to post pictures from my little sister's new house. I did a walk around with my dad a few weeks after she closed and lol'd at a lot. Like the tarred(maybe?) wirecaps on the overhead wires to the garage. Or the unflashed roof on the station wagon box in the garage. Or the fact that her garage has a station wagon box. Or the dryer vent cap held on by caulk and unattached screws.

I didn't even get into the house because they were refinishing the floors.

WTF is a station wagon box?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Solar Coaster posted:

For clarification, here's images from the listing:

Front angle of home. You can kinda see the addon poking out of the rear.

Inside the bedroom itself. Note the tiny set of stairs that lead down from the main house onto the bedroom "floor".

Backyard view showing the addon:

Didn't that "cottage from hell" a couple dozen pages back also have a deck converted into living space?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Didn't that "cottage from hell" a couple dozen pages back also have a deck converted into living space?

quote:

This house is only 1300 square feet, yet it’s comprised of FIVE different structures. #1 is the original cottage (built, evidently, as a little three-season hunting cabin, but in the manner of a garden shed), and 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all additions onto that original structure. 3 and 5 are both enclosed porches, which often aren’t built that well to begin with and then tend not to receive the most sound upgrades during the enclosure process.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

"Yo dawg, I heard you like living space, so we converted yo outdoor space into living space while we converted yo outdoor space into living space."

I didn't remember that they were stupid enough to do it twice!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

You know someone felt super clever about this.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
RE: Weirdo Philly house.

THat one window looks an awful lot like a sliding patio door. The one near the bottom of the sided part.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Spring-loading it with a batwing hinge would have qualified.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

When the video started I was sure there was going to be a cam to knock the chunk back into place when the door hit the jamb and now I'm disappointed.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thumposaurus posted:

WTF is a station wagon box?

That's what my dad called it. They cut a hole in the back of the garage, about the size and shape of the front of a car. Then they extended it out like a bay window, adding siding and shingles. That way a longer vehicle, like a station wagon, could park in a garage with the garage door closed. It looks really weird and I wish I got pictures of it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why wouldn’t you just make a custom cutout for the rear end end of your car like a regular person?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol I didn't know BigTruckHole.jpg was a thing with a name

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm barred from the Big Truck Hole for glassing some oval office who said Peterbilts are shite

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My grandad built a little extension like that so he could park his car in his garage, I think the garage was only 12 feet long to start with though. I have fond memories of that deathtrap :allears:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I have fond memories of that deathtrap :allears:

The car or the garage?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Brute Squad posted:

That's what my dad called it. They cut a hole in the back of the garage, about the size and shape of the front of a car. Then they extended it out like a bay window, adding siding and shingles. That way a longer vehicle, like a station wagon, could park in a garage with the garage door closed. It looks really weird and I wish I got pictures of it.

I built one (we called it a “doghouse”) so I could fit a 66 Bonneville into a garage designed, and built, for Model As. Still couldn’t close the barn doors. I wound up building a new garage for it in 2003.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 26, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

The car or the garage?

The garage, the car was long gone by the time I hit the scene. The garage should have been long gone.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I can't find a station wagon extension, but I learned that painting fake windows and iron brackets on plain garage doors is a thing.

This awesome house was mixed in there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well holy poo poo. Some of you may know from my renovation thread that I've had a lot of trouble with the builder's communication, attendance, and honesty.

Well his *other* customer (one of?) tracked me down and knocked at my door because he's going through the exact same thing. Except his house doesn't even have a roof. He's so hosed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
joint sue that rear end in a top hat into oblivion

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The guy's brother in law is a solicitor, so, it's v likely that's going to happen with him at this rate. With me, I got out close enough to the end that I can swallow the extra cost.

Also, the common thread? Recommended by the same architect.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jaded Burnout posted:

The guy's brother in law is a solicitor, so, it's v likely that's going to happen with him at this rate. With me, I got out close enough to the end that I can swallow the extra cost.

:killing:

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

We need a :justpost: emote but for suing.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Holy poo poo that's ugly. Where is it in Philly?

My brother (who sent me the photo) just said “olde Kensington.” I’m not really sure what the border is between that and just, you know, Kensington.”

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I would like to know where you're restoration thread is as I love those threads and I would like to see what issues you had.

Glad you did make it out the other side.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I would like to know where you're restoration thread is as I love those threads and I would like to see what issues you had.

Glad you did make it out the other side.

Fill your boots. 9 pages of builder drama, photos, and regret.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

I stayed in a hostel in Portland like this once, except it had rings like a tree. There were at least two layers of former porch all the way around 3 sides that had been walled in and turned into indoor rooms, and then the actual exterior deck (for now). Also a few examples of addons like above. It was cool as gently caress but probably a code nightmare.

The basement bathroom I used had a window you could open, which opened into the area under one of the former decks, which contained nothing but darkness and rat feces.

unironically rules

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Took this while going out to lunch on Friday. What leads workers to leave poo poo exposed like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Took this while going out to lunch on Friday. What leads workers to leave poo poo exposed like this?

Zero consequences leading to giving zero fucks.