Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeh the side panels on the backpack are built like that and it’s amazing and why aren’t all zippered carriers built like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I love my Peak Designs Messenger, there are only like two zippers on the whole thing so it's not an issue there.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

DJExile posted:

Also post ur malamute :3:

with the labrador buddy he wrestles with for size contrast (this usually ends with him sitting on the lab)

And posing for the camera

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THAT IS A SUPER FUKKN GOOD DOG :kimchi:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Oh hai my m43 and considering-m43 dudes. Let's chat about things.

What camera tho?

So the real "current" lineup is as follows

Pro Level

G9 - Pro Photo (also really drat good video, but no 10-bit I think, and photo focused)

GH5 - Pro Video (has built in Ibis, still a great stills camera but focused on video)

GH5s - Proer Video for Low Light (no built in Ibis, 10mp sensor for low light performance so not great at stills, this is for folks who put their camera in a rig etc).

Still Very Good Level

G85 - Value All-Rounder (still rules this group imo. Ibis, weather sealed, mic jack for video. If you think you are going to do a bit of everything and are budget constrained, strongly consider this one, 16mp)

Gx9 - Street Shooter (rangefinder style with an articulating (but not great) viewfinder. Ibis but no weather sealing or mic input. Still great video but audio is more of an issue. Just released as an upgrade to the gx85 and the kit lens is an odd pairing, it is 20mp tho)

Gx85 - Mega Value Entry Point (If you can still find them new, there were some crazy good deals on this camera awhile back. Good photos (16mp no filter) good video (but no audio jack) tilting touchscreen (nice for street shooting) and Ibis. No weather sealing, but nice and compact while still having enough controls. If you can deal with the missing features from the g85, then strongly consider this one).

Everything older - I'd be careful, as they all have no, or worse versions of Ibis (and that is a critical feature for me).

Ok, gotta run for a hike but I'll be back to post about lenses later. The good news is there are some great affordable primes.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This is a 50% crop of a 4000 ISO picture, 1/160 at 2.8. This is the highest ISO I've ever gone, and the 50-140 2.8 is magic on the xt2.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok, let's talk m43 glass (I wrote too many words here), with a focus on the more accessible lenses (and mostly primes)

Zooms-

First thing in want to point out is that a LOT of m43 lenses are not weather sealed. The 2.8 zooms however are, and if you are looking for a constant aperture zoom, the offerings from both Panasonic and Olympus are great. If you have a modern Panasonic body then the Pana lenses have dual-is, which is a pretty solid case in itself for that lens pairing. Do consider that while the Olympus pair has a larger zoom range, that does come at the cost of size and weight (mainly on the longer zoom of the pairing).

I'm not a big zoom user so I don't really have other opinions here that aren't regurgitating reviews, but the 12-60 3.5-5.6 is a perfectly servicible kit lens for travel, my wife uses it on her g85 often, and in incliment weather situations that configuration is all we use aside from phones, as that lens is weather sealed.

Primes -

Want to get a fast lens but don't know where to start? This depends on what you want to shoot and your budget, my recommendations are based on my own needs which are: Child, landscapes, portraits occasionally, general travel photography so size and weight are important, and of course reasonable cost. So basically "a mix of everything, with a strong concern for portability and a slightly weaker concern for cost"

The first place I would look for the budget concious is the 25mm 1.7 Panasonic ($150) or the 20mm 1.7 Panasonic pancake ($250). The pancake has obvious size advantages at the cost of slower autofocus performance. Both of these lenses take excellent pictures for cheap, and let you get your feet wet with apertures much faster than those found in a kit zoom. The other option here is the 15mm 1.7 ($550 new) which is an absolutely fantastic lens which is on my gx85 90% of the time. It is however a much higher price point to start at. I rarely use my 25mm anymore since I got my 15, but you'll need to determine which focal lengths are right for you.

The second place I would look is a portrait lens, which can double as a short tele. The affordable options here are both excellent, the Oly 45mm 1.8 ($350) and the Panasonic 42.5mm 1.7 ($350). Keep in mind that the 42.5mm does have in lens Ibis which will give you dual Ibis on a supporting Panasonic body. Also the Panasonic has a much closer minimum focal distance, allowing it to sub in for macro shots in many situations.

You could honestly stop here, I do almost all of my shooting on my 15mm and 42.5 mm 1.7 lenses. My wife has a 12-60 kit lens, a 60mm Oly macro, and a cheap Oly 40-150. I occasionally borrow the Macro lens.

Additional notes:

If you want to do macro go straight for the Oly 60mm 2.8

I will point out first that Olympus has a much "cleaner" lineup that Panasonic when it comes to primes. They have their 17, 25, 45 1.8's (the 12mm 2.0 is also clearly in this family) and then again the 17, 25, and 45 in their f1.2 pro line (there has been a patent filed that supposedly confirms a 12mm 1.2 as well). Worth noting that the Oly Pro line is weather sealed, also worth noting, their cost.

Panasonic's lineup is much messier from a naming and grouping standpoint. They have a 12mm and. 42.5mm at f1.2, which make up the top end of their prime lineup (excluding things like the 200mm) with an aging 25mm at 1.4. Their f1.7 lenses are a nice range of focal lengths, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 42.5mm but the cost, materials, and even naming are sort of all over the place.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

PST posted:

with the labrador buddy he wrestles with for size contrast (this usually ends with him sitting on the lab)

And posing for the camera

Holy poo poo that’s a big dog. And such a good dog too - that’s like two times the quantity of good dog than you would get with a normal big dog.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So the wife somehow managed to scratch the poo poo out of the front element of our Fuji 18-55. I have no idea how she manged it in one camera outing, but she said she thinks she may have been trying to put the lens cap on backwards (!?!) while walking around. I tried wiping it with a rubbing alcohol pad, but no luck. The lens itself doesn't feel like it has a gash in it when I run my finger or fingernail over it.

Any suggestions? Besides getting a new wife? Because she's pretty great otherwise.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Forget about it? Front element damage is pretty invisible except if you stop way down or are shooting directly into strong light (which can cause flaring).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hmm.. Okay! I haven't had time to play with it yet to see if it causes any problems. I'm still new to this whole photography thing and while I read it shouldn't be a problem, I just find it hard to believe. How big of a scratch can you have on your front element and still have it not cause a problem? Seems crazy.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Like, way more intense than you’d think. I usually try to keep them nice cause it’s easier to sell later but it’s probably not an issue. Think deep scratches, chips, and actual cracks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crazy. Optics are crazy.

Thanks for the quick responses. Makes me feel a lot better. I'm not worried about resale as we'll likely have this camera (and lens) for a long time.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

How did she manage that? I feel like I could put a lens in a bag of nails and not have any significant scratches on it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

So the wife somehow managed to scratch the poo poo out of the front element of our Fuji 18-55. I have no idea how she manged it in one camera outing, but she said she thinks she may have been trying to put the lens cap on backwards (!?!) while walking around. I tried wiping it with a rubbing alcohol pad, but no luck. The lens itself doesn't feel like it has a gash in it when I run my finger or fingernail over it.

Any suggestions? Besides getting a new wife? Because she's pretty great otherwise.

This is usually why people get UV filters. But like the others said, the scratches won't show up anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you shoot again the sun, the scratch may show up but not a big deal 95% of the time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crazy.

rio posted:

How did she manage that? I feel like I could put a lens in a bag of nails and not have any significant scratches on it.

I dunno. She said putting the lens cap on backwards but that sounds a bit much. It's not like the lens caps are metal. We have family around and there's little ones running around. Not that they had access to the camera or lens, but we are a little distracted right now and I could see trying to put the lens cap on backwards while walking and talking.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Crazy.

I dunno. She said putting the lens cap on backwards but that sounds a bit much. It's not like the lens caps are metal. We have family around and there's little ones running around. Not that they had access to the camera or lens, but we are a little distracted right now and I could see trying to put the lens cap on backwards while walking and talking.

That’s impossible, unless there was something very strong and sharp between the lens cap and the lens. If she is wearing a diamond ring she could have scratched it with that.

In any case, just take some pictures and see if you can see any artifacts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Seems fine so far today. Thanks again all.

[Edit: she does wear a diamond ring, likely a good guess.]

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Walked posted:

Hey guys; I'm looking for suggestions on a mirrorless camera

I'm trying to find something thats well built, can produce excellent video, and motion/etc isnt a huge deal - most shots will be stable / indoors.

Ideally I'd like something that has an HDMI output that I can just capture via PC capture card to mix down with mic audio at time of recording for the sake of ease.

Eyeballing:
- A7ii - seems to be geared towards still photography, but fine enough for video?
- A7s - seems to be even better for video? Still not entirely clear on my understanding
- 7D Mk2 - (I know it's not a mirrorless, but also seems to fit the need?)

Most shots will not be moving whatsoever and will be just product-esque shots / demo video snippets.

Trying to stay under $1500 with body/lens but I have some wiggle room.

Thoughts?

Save some more money and get the sony A7iii. Nothing else comes close to the photo/video capabilities of that camera.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

keyframe posted:

Save some more money and get the sony A7iii. Nothing else comes close to the photo/video capabilities of that camera.

This is exactly what I just did. More than I wanted to spend for quirky side projects but ended up with the same conclusion as you

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Hmm.. Okay! I haven't had time to play with it yet to see if it causes any problems. I'm still new to this whole photography thing and while I read it shouldn't be a problem, I just find it hard to believe. How big of a scratch can you have on your front element and still have it not cause a problem? Seems crazy.

Try shooting through a screen door or a fence. It is weird how it works but it has little effect. A small scratch on the rear element makes a difference though

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I had a chunk of dust near the rear element of an otherwise pristine Hasselblad 50mm - stopping down to f11 or so would leave a large dark blob on my exposures. It was so annoying I ended up returning it to KEH.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Walked posted:

This is exactly what I just did. More than I wanted to spend for quirky side projects but ended up with the same conclusion as you

You won't regret it one bit. :)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I had a 5 hour layover in Seattle on my way from CA to Europe last week and when I got to London, the two lenses that I had STUPIDLY packed in my checked bag were gone. 12mm Samyang F/2 and 18-55mm Fuji Kit lens. Oddly, they didn't take my X-E2s. I waited until I got home a few days ago to contact Virgin Atlantic thinking that maybe, somehow, I had forgotten to pack the lenses, but nope. I put each one in a sock and then put them in among my clothes. Should have just carried them in my backpack - lesson learned. Fortunately, I got both off ebay for like 450 total so its not as expensive a mistake as it could have been.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy gently caress I would be raising a goddamn ruckus. That shouldn't be a simple "gee that sucks ..." from the airline/airport.

Also, yes I will never trust security, tsa, or the airlines with my gear. Carry-on every time.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow they stole the 2 small lens you hid inside socks?! That's very loving thorough of the thief. Was that Virgin or Seattle ground crew? That sucks man.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cheese posted:

I had a 5 hour layover in Seattle on my way from CA to Europe last week and when I got to London, the two lenses that I had STUPIDLY packed in my checked bag were gone. 12mm Samyang F/2 and 18-55mm Fuji Kit lens. Oddly, they didn't take my X-E2s. I waited until I got home a few days ago to contact Virgin Atlantic thinking that maybe, somehow, I had forgotten to pack the lenses, but nope. I put each one in a sock and then put them in among my clothes. Should have just carried them in my backpack - lesson learned. Fortunately, I got both off ebay for like 450 total so its not as expensive a mistake as it could have been.

Don't know how recent this is, but definitely file a claim with the airline for lost luggage about it. My camera got stolen out of my luggage in Miami (if you gate check your carry-on, remember to remove your valuables first), and I got reimbursed for the full value of the receipts I provided for my stuff. Took a while, but it was worth it. Really all it involved was filling out some forms.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

GEMorris posted:

Oh hai my m43 and considering-m43 dudes. Let's chat about things.

What camera tho?

So the real "current" lineup is as follows

Pro Level

G9 - Pro Photo (also really drat good video, but no 10-bit I think, and photo focused)

GH5 - Pro Video (has built in Ibis, still a great stills camera but focused on video)

GH5s - Proer Video for Low Light (no built in Ibis, 10mp sensor for low light performance so not great at stills, this is for folks who put their camera in a rig etc).

Still Very Good Level

G85 - Value All-Rounder (still rules this group imo. Ibis, weather sealed, mic jack for video. If you think you are going to do a bit of everything and are budget constrained, strongly consider this one, 16mp)

Gx9 - Street Shooter (rangefinder style with an articulating (but not great) viewfinder. Ibis but no weather sealing or mic input. Still great video but audio is more of an issue. Just released as an upgrade to the gx85 and the kit lens is an odd pairing, it is 20mp tho)

Gx85 - Mega Value Entry Point (If you can still find them new, there were some crazy good deals on this camera awhile back. Good photos (16mp no filter) good video (but no audio jack) tilting touchscreen (nice for street shooting) and Ibis. No weather sealing, but nice and compact while still having enough controls. If you can deal with the missing features from the g85, then strongly consider this one).

Everything older - I'd be careful, as they all have no, or worse versions of Ibis (and that is a critical feature for me).

Ok, gotta run for a hike but I'll be back to post about lenses later. The good news is there are some great affordable primes.

Needs more Olympus

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Is the A6000 still worth buying these days? Found a deal on a bundle for $400 with the kit lens for my gf- she wants something no-frills to shoot casually on trips.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 29, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

JHVH-1 posted:

Needs more Olympus

The m10-iii is current, I'd stay away from the others due to age. The PL9 is also current but it's more at the gx850 level (maybe really between the gx850 and the gx85).

My main issue with Olympus bodies is that they've lost their primary advantage now that Panasonic has Ibis, but they still lag behind (in some cases significantly) in video.

If someone really wants to buy Olympus I'd probably wait for the m5-iii to come out, or of you are looking for a real budget option consider a used m10-ii. My 2 cents. I think they make some amazing lenses but a this moment in time their body lineup is lacking. 6-9 months from now it will probably be a different story.

Also worth considering with Oly v Pana, until very recently Oly was only surpassed by Sony in the "worst menu designs" category, while Panasonic has some of the best (they are frequently lauded for this in reviews fwiw).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've been nothing but thrilled with my Em1 mkii. Built like a brick shithouse and I believe gets 5.5 steps of IS when combined with the 300mm. I don't doubt Panasonic bodies are awesome but I'm not seeing the issue with Oly bodies other than until recently they didn't give any priority to video.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

DJExile posted:

I've been nothing but thrilled with my Em1 mkii. Built like a brick shithouse and I believe gets 5.5 steps of IS when combined with the 300mm. I don't doubt Panasonic bodies are awesome but I'm not seeing the issue with Oly bodies other than until recently they didn't give any priority to video.

This is mainly it, along with the menu organization issues that one adapts to in use.

Edit: this post has some bad misinformation in it as I accidentally pulled the release date and some features from the mk1 not the mk2

I just don't see anyone, hobbyist or not, saying, in TYOOL 2018, "yeah 4k video just isn't important to me and I don't think it will be in the near future"

If the Pen-F had 4k video I'd probably own one, that camera hits all my buttons except for inexcusably having only 1080p video when it was released in late 2016. The fact that the First and the M5 don't have 4k video makes them pretty unattractive imo.

Olympus is just in a real model release slump right now outside of the m10 and the M1. like I said, in 6-9 months it will likely be a very different story.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 30, 2018

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Olympus has phase detect autofocus in some bodies, which is a distinct advantage in some situations, and their seems better than Panasonic’s to me.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

powderific posted:

Olympus has phase detect autofocus in some bodies, which is a distinct advantage in some situations, and their seems better than Panasonic’s to me.

Good point, that is a distinct advantage of the omd-m1 ii

I'd still have the G9, based on the overall feature sets of the cameras available today, but it is worth considering.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 30, 2018

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

GEMorris posted:

This is mainly it, along with the menu organization issues that one adapts to in use.

The omd-m1 was released almost five years ago, I see no reason why someone would pick it over the equally price G9.

I just don't see anyone, hobbyist or not, saying, in TYOOL 2018, "yeah 4k video just isn't important to me and I don't think it will be in the near future"

If the Pen-F had 4k video I'd probably own one, that camera hits all my buttons except for inexcusably having only 1080p video when it was released in late 2016.

Olympus is just in a real model release slump right now outside of the m10, like I said, in 6-9 months it will likely be a very different story.

You should be fair and consider the OM-D M1 Mark 2, which came out like late 2016.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

UncleGuito posted:

Is the A6000 still worth buying these days? Found a deal on a bundle for $400 with the kit lens for my gf- she wants something no-frills to shoot casually on trips.

I like mine :shrug:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

spankmeister posted:

You should be fair and consider the OM-D M1 Mark 2, which came out like late 2016.

I'm an idiot, I searched (I swear it was for the mk2) and saw a 2013 release date and went from there. My bad. I was obviously getting a lot of the features from those search results as well.

Looks like if you are in the market for a $1700 pro level stills focused m43 body you have two very legit options, I apologize for the misinformation.

DP review has a comparison here

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The Oly Pen-F has nice OOC JPEG color and it seemed like a very well put-together camera when I messed around with it at the camera store. True, it doesn't have 4K. I will say that even though the better-than-average 4K video quality was one of my big reasons for choosing an X-T2, I haven't used the video function nearly as much as I thought I would. That may change, as I do have some video projects in mind.

Capturing high-quality video is just more fiddly than shooting stills, and requires more setup, while most of the mirrorless cameras out there seem physically designed more for stills shooting (GH series being the outlier). So unless there's a very serious intention to get into video, don't sweat the lack of 4K so much that it would stop you from getting the camera that would work best for you otherwise. By and large, they are cameras for still photography.

That said, the Pen could stand to have better 1080p video quality.