Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Schadenboner posted:

The only thing that pisses me off about the YA books is that the AdMechs probably wouldn't give a growing child a bionic arm. Other than that, the series looks :3: as fuuuuuuck.

Its stated that he made it himself and its an exoskeletal arm, his arm is still there, its just super thin for illness/injury)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Telsa Cola posted:

Its stated that he made it himself and its an exoskeletal arm, his arm is still there, its just super thin for illness/injury)

Ah, I missed that.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

I love the stuff with the blanks having limiters

Blanks having limiters feels cheap. All the strengths of a blank while being able to conveniently ignore the downsides whenever you want.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Kurzon posted:

Not just mitigated, but totally cancelled. When Bequin switches on her suppressor, psykers can read her mind.

Which book is this introduced? I been regrading the trilogy this week. Half way through Hereticus and don't remember this.

But yeah there's all sorts of stuff in these books that's fallen away and seems kinda weird by 2018 40k standards.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Moose-Alini posted:

Which book is this introduced? I been regrading the trilogy this week. Half way through Hereticus and don't remember this.

But yeah there's all sorts of stuff in these books that's fallen away and seems kinda weird by 2018 40k standards.

The blankness on/off cuff gets mentioned and explained a bit in the Bequin book, I can't remember if it pops up in as much detail in the previous trilogies.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kharnd The Red Path is pretty bad.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

The only thing that pisses me off about the YA books is that the AdMechs probably wouldn't give a growing child a bionic arm. Other than that, the series looks :3: as fuuuuuuck.

I'm the two buttons on her wrist control

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Kharnd The Red Path is pretty bad.

What sucks about it? (i haven't read it)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

On and Off, sucker. That's all you need.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The limiter IIRC first showed up in Ravenor on Frauka

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

I'm the big contact-pads on her fingers.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Schadenboner posted:

AdMechs probably wouldn't give a growing child a bionic arm.

Look, you don't build a quality servator all at once.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

What sucks about it? (i haven't read it)

The plot is that Kharn is going from battle to battle, and a Black Legion guy is following him, telling him to join the Black Crusade. Kharn always says no. Then at the end Abaddon shows up, tells Kharn to join the Black Crusade, Kharn hears the voice of Khorne telling him to do it, so he finally says yes. The fight scenes go on forever, it feels like a weak attempt to stretch the book out to it's almost 300 page length. There's an attempt to make it more than that, with a subplot about some Space Marines and Sisters of Battle protecting a Saint, but all that goes nowhere.
It would just be kinda dull and forgettable, which is certainly not rare in BL. But there's the whole subplot about Sisters of Battle that makes it gross. They show up a lot, and it's always for one of two purposes;
1: a scene where the irrational, emotional Sisters get in the way of the logical, calm Space Marines, who imagines how easy it would be to kill the Sisters to get what he wants but has such great self control that he is able to restrain himself.
2: to describe their lifeless bodies as being crushed under the armored boots of the Space Marines in battle.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I can't recall if I've ever seen a limiter anywhere but in Abnetts stuff.....I don't think they're in the new books about terra.... Emperor's legion and the other one....

Maybe it's one of those things they let him do

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I’d be cooler with the limiter if it just somehow cushioned the sheer revulsion people feel for blanks, but instead they are kinda magic null zone buttons.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Kurzon posted:

Not just mitigated, but totally cancelled. When Bequin switches on her suppressor, psykers can read her mind.

I'm hoping we find Beta is something a little different than a "typical" blank when the rest of the series is finally released. There seem to be a few differences between her and Wystain as far as limiters go.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

The plot is that Kharn is going from battle to battle, and a Black Legion guy is following him, telling him to join the Black Crusade. Kharn always says no. Then at the end Abaddon shows up, tells Kharn to join the Black Crusade, Kharn hears the voice of Khorne telling him to do it, so he finally says yes. The fight scenes go on forever, it feels like a weak attempt to stretch the book out to it's almost 300 page length. There's an attempt to make it more than that, with a subplot about some Space Marines and Sisters of Battle protecting a Saint, but all that goes nowhere.
It would just be kinda dull and forgettable, which is certainly not rare in BL. But there's the whole subplot about Sisters of Battle that makes it gross. They show up a lot, and it's always for one of two purposes;
1: a scene where the irrational, emotional Sisters get in the way of the logical, calm Space Marines, who imagines how easy it would be to kill the Sisters to get what he wants but has such great self control that he is able to restrain himself.
2: to describe their lifeless bodies as being crushed under the armored boots of the Space Marines in battle.

This is one of those lovely BL cash grabs - it was originally published as 8(?) serialized stories, so you wound up paying like $40 for a "full" book.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is one of those lovely BL cash grabs - it was originally published as 8(?) serialized stories, so you wound up paying like $40 for a "full" book.

And they threw in the misogyny for free?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

well i know what to avoid then

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Ooh Dan Abnett is coming to my city tomorrow, might finally pick up Magos and get it signed while shouting at him to write the next bequin book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Schadenboner posted:

And they threw in the misogyny for free?

It's Warhammer 40k, misogyny comes standard.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ironic thing is that the other Kharn novel, Kharn: Eater of Worlds, has a really great human woman character

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's still kind of a pointless ramble of a story though, even if she is really cool.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

The ironic thing is that the other Kharn novel, Kharn: Eater of Worlds, has a really great human woman character

the admiral or fleet commander, right? Doesn't she strike one of the world eaters in the face at one point? Pretty rad.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Lotara Sarrin is the best.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biplane posted:

the admiral or fleet commander, right? Doesn't she strike one of the world eaters in the face at one point? Pretty rad.

She's from Betrayer, I think. In Kharn Eater of Worlds there's a lady who is basically forced to become the Legion's apothecary, because none of the World Eaters are fit for that job anymore.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Telsa Cola posted:

A key plot point will be resolved when he figures how to persuade the arm's machine spirit to rip off a chaos marine's head by screaming really loudly in the most anime way.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

She's from Betrayer, I think. In Kharn Eater of Worlds there's a lady who is basically forced to become the Legion's apothecary, because none of the World Eaters are fit for that job anymore.

The woman who gets blinded by the orbital strike? And shes like their confessor in her little chapel-room on the ship?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Biplane posted:

The woman who gets blinded by the orbital strike? And shes like their confessor in her little chapel-room on the ship?

That was the Word Bearer's lady in The First Heretic

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

That was the Word Bearer's lady in The First Heretic

Speaking of her.

Has she appeared again after disappearing in Betrayer?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Biplane posted:

SHOOTS him in the face. Pretty badass, shoulda used a bigger gun though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Moose-Alini posted:

drat

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

You need to mention that she shoots him in the face which makes him respect her enough for having the swagger to try and put a space marine in his place. The next time the ship is boarded it turns out he actually stuck around for defense and if i remember right dies defending the bridge?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zasze posted:

You need to mention that she shoots him in the face which makes him respect her enough for having the swagger to try and put a space marine in his place. The next time the ship is boarded it turns out he actually stuck around for defense and if i remember right dies defending the bridge?

Yes, she put him in his place, but you are misremembering the last part, Delvarus did not die during the Heresy, he appears in one of the Black Legion novels.

Some goon around here wrote a review about Wolfsbane and made me pick it up. It's fairly decent, I liked Russ characterization and the adventures of young Belisarius Cawl made me laugh.

God drat, the battle of Terra can not come soon enough.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Zasze posted:

He was going to rip her apart if it wasn't for Kharn and co stepping up to support her. It took the Legion to deal with this in the dueling pits to "solve" the issue.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Starting to read through Pariah, and... I have no idea what I expected, but this is a complete mindfuck. Is this the past? Why is The Chair there if this is the past? Are they in her mind, trying to wake her up? Is this a clone situation? Is she her daughter? Where the gently caress even is she really? Last I remember she was on Ravs ship in book one. gently caress, was that Gregor just now at the church? The gently caress is even going on anymore? I'm loving this confusion

Really enjoying this so far. How does Abnett always do it?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Yes, she put him in his place, but you are misremembering the last part, Delvarus did not die during the Heresy, he appears in one of the Black Legion novels.

Ah ok that makes more sense for some reason i remembered him dying.

mythicknight posted:

Starting to read through Pariah, and... I have no idea what I expected, but this is a complete mindfuck. Is this the past? Why is The Chair there if this is the past? Are they in her mind, trying to wake her up? Is this a clone situation? Is she her daughter? Where the gently caress even is she really? Last I remember she was on Ravs ship in book one. gently caress, was that Gregor just now at the church? The gently caress is even going on anymore? I'm loving this confusion

Really enjoying this so far. How does Abnett always do it?

Pariah has a really almost painfully slow start but once the pieces start coming together it ramps the gently caress up in a really satisfying way.

Pariah Endgame Spoilers that fucken cherubael reveal at the end

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Easily the best lines in Magos come from interaction between (Seriously, actual spoiler) Eisenhorn & Cherubael

Although I do delight in Best Newcomer Druscher.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eugh, I just finished Vulkan Lives and is it just me or is it a Bad Book? I was into it when Grammaticus showed up, but literally nothing happened in the book that couldn't have been gleaned from just reading the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, it is bad. Nick Kyme is one of the worst BL authors