Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or a caught-in-the-act copper thief? Those were common in an area I used to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Took this while going out to lunch on Friday. What leads workers to leave poo poo exposed like this?

That looks like phone. It's only really energized during calls.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Or a caught-in-the-act copper thief? Those were common in an area I used to live.

Phone wires are super thin, like 24 gauge. That's a lot of trouble for not much copper.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 28, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Phanatic posted:

My brother (who sent me the photo) just said “olde Kensington.” I’m not really sure what the border is between that and just, you know, Kensington.”

They ran out of properties in Fishtown and Northern Liberties and are looking for new areas to gentrify. It's just branding.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

kid sinister posted:

Phone wires are super thin, like 24 gauge. That's a lot of trouble for not much copper.

Never underestimate a meth-head's love of copper wire.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kid sinister posted:

That looks like phone. It's only really energized during calls.

I have personally caught methheads stealing phone wire.

Doesn't have to make sense when you're on drugs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have personally caught methheads stealing phone wire.

Doesn't have to make sense when you're on drugs.

Or when you’re not on drugs, but REALLY loving WANT TO BE.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE63-Hw9yeY

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Can someone repost the truck_garage_ass_cutout.jpg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God bless you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Album of an extremely poorly constructed kitchen

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kid sinister posted:

Copper thieves are not known for their planning abilities.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Liquid Communism posted:

Copper thieves are not known for their planning abilities.

They are known for their alarming lack for foresight and incredible conductivity though! Why yes, those 15kv feeder lines sure do look expensive, better get out the bolt cutters and steal a bunch!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm frankly amazed at how little has been stolen from my house either during renovation or after. All that gleaming lead still on the bay window roofs. Pallets of cement bags sat out front for months.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

They are known for their alarming lack for foresight and incredible conductivity though! Why yes, those 15kv feeder lines sure do look expensive, better get out the bolt cutters and steal a bunch!

I recall hearing about one in Texas a decade or so ago that ended up a throw pillow because of this. Dude tried to cut a line in a rural area, got arc flashed, and his buddies left him lying in a ditch because they thought he was dead. Electric company found him late the next day, and he ended up losing all four limbs due to lying in a swampy drainage ditch with open burns all night.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I took care of a guy with no arms past the deltoids secondary to electrical injury from stealing wire. Not the easiest guy to put an IV in. (Good neck veins, thank God.)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In my short ~8 months at the burn center, I've seen two patients that came in from "house fires" with arm and face burns who were later arrested and jailed after treatment because it 1: wasn't their house and 2: was only a fire after they did whatever they were doing (stealing live copper). Both of them had stories of heroics to go with their injuries, but no family to back it up.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I live in a rural area and rodents occasionally nest in various phone boxes around the area. One time rodents gnawed through phone wires in a way that my phone was connected in a sense with another phone with a different number. I was able to receive calls made to either number, and if I called a number, it would call from both numbers as well.

I called my phone company tech support and had a conversation with two tech support agents at once from the same phone. They could both hear me and I could hear both of them but they couldn't hear each other. It was a pretty weird time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm frankly amazed at how little has been stolen from my house either during renovation or after. All that gleaming lead still on the bay window roofs. Pallets of cement bags sat out front for months.

Concrete bags are a terrible store of value. A 60-pound bag costs under five bucks. And if they've been sitting out for months, there's decent odds they've gotten wet, which makes them worth even less!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Concrete bags are a terrible store of value. A 60-pound bag costs under five bucks. And if they've been sitting out for months, there's decent odds they've gotten wet, which makes them worth even less!

Agreed, but as mentioned above, desperate people aren't usually that picky. Or even a nearby neighbour who fancies redoing their garden wall.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

But 6 and 2/3 bag will secure a motorcycle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I knew as soon as I posted that that mentioning the weight of the bag was a mistake. :doh:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Jaded Burnout posted:

Neighborhoods where your neighbors don't steal your poo poo are the best neighborhoods...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I knew as soon as I posted that that mentioning the weight of the bag was a mistake. :doh:

It's never going to go away.
Also, I dig your Jack avatar.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

therobit posted:

But 6 and 2/3 bag will secure a motorcycle.

Less, because most of the added water becomes part of the finished product.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Took this while going out to lunch on Friday. What leads workers to leave poo poo exposed like this?

Phone/internet demarc so there's a point to access from the ground to the aerial infrastructure. Those were really nice when I did ISP work. There should be a cover on it but being exposed won't really hurt and there's little copper to actually steal.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Monolith. posted:

Phone/internet demarc so there's a point to access from the ground to the aerial infrastructure. Those were really nice when I did ISP work. There should be a cover on it but being exposed won't really hurt and there's little copper to actually steal.

Fair enough. The area where I took that isn't exactly Methland, so I guess it's not really a problem. I just saw it and thought of this thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hope that wasnt holding up anything important.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

shortspecialbus posted:

I called my phone company tech support and had a conversation with two tech support agents at once from the same phone. They could both hear me and I could hear both of them but they couldn't hear each other. It was a pretty weird time.

I want to hear more of this story.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Probably dialed up the 2nd tech using the wrong settings in the internal VOIP system for listen-only conference calls, the type where it's more of a webinar/seminar, where the instructor wants to field questions from each person, but you don't want the people to hear each other, especially in 100+ person clusterfucks.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

:lol:

It'd better not, it doesn't go all the way across on the left. Since that's where it appears the car entered from and where daylight is shining from, that's probably where the garage door in the exterior wall was, so that probably was a load bearing wall...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's only, like, an 8x12 beam. How important could it be?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

I recall hearing about one in Texas a decade or so ago that ended up a throw pillow because of this. Dude tried to cut a line in a rural area, got arc flashed, and his buddies left him lying in a ditch because they thought he was dead. Electric company found him late the next day, and he ended up losing all four limbs due to lying in a swampy drainage ditch with open burns all night.

A few years ago a factory my employer owns suddenly lost power in part of it, at 3am. Apparently two guys decided to steal some stupidly high voltage copper. This stuff was about 2" thick, needless to say they were very dead when they were located. The arc had burned the hell out of one and the other was dead since the arc had gone though his buddy and into him.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Could it be HVAC ducting? It almost looks like a grill on the end up against the ceiling there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah, that's concrete with rebar sticking out of the bottom. I glimpsed a slightly higher res picture on a Brazilian twitter a few days ago. The prefix for the phone is "47," which indicates Santa Catarina.

https://twitter.com/ARQuineptos/status/840194517454200837/photo/1

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well at least when they eventually realize they'll have to prop it up with something, there's a lift right there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't know the story, but eh it's fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I want to believe that the building was built that way intentionally, like those off-kilter art installations, and someone added the laughably-inadequate props as a joke.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

GreenNight posted:

Maybe it's an optical illusion but I don't think those people should be standing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

The best part would be the people standing to the right. "It's cool, we put some beams there."