Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

blackflare posted:

I think personally it's because I always imagine them saying "hi im a cockatiel" whenever they chirp. They have that, "im just happy to be here" look on their faces.

Every time I see em I think of this image, it fits so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/s4QPQie.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

blackflare posted:

I think personally it's because I always imagine them saying "hi im a cockatiel" whenever they chirp. They have that, "im just happy to be here" look on their faces.

My best buddy and I have a theory that cockatiels only say the bird equivalent of, "HEEEEEEEY HEY HEY HEY HEEEEY!"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Henlo! It's Serra Sunday and I'm Birb!

If you want the debit card number behind me take it and give me seed yes now! (It's a closed account)

You like Xbox? Get Xbox with cockatiel attachment please hey now yes!

How about scritch? Yeas and how!

You feed Poppa man a breakfast taco?! You feed me! Wait this man say he hate animal? Naaaaah!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Unf. This thread is the best and the worst. Best because duh, worst because I can't have a bird right now and I'm so jealous.

My employment situation might change soon, so I don't want to commit until I really know what I'll be doing six months from now, but I'm still trapped in the eternal struggle of "conure vs cockatiel". I've had a cockatiel before (his name was Weary, he died years ago, still miss the good birb) but feel like maybe I'd like to get a conure next for the new experience and stuff. Additionally I've found an amazing breeder not too far away from me who actually gives a poo poo about her birds (Only breeds them once a year, prioritises health and genetic diversity, that kind of thing). That said, if my work does pick up and I'll be working longer hours, I feel like a cockatiel could probably cope better, and I really did love having a cockatiel and would happily do so again. I'd likely be living with a housemate on a different schedule to me, so the bird wouldn't be completely on it's own if I wasn't around, but of course I don't want to take one on (again) if I can't fully commit in the way you need to to be a good birb owner.

Essentially my problem is I just love all the birds forever. Do not send help, just more photos of your wonderful birb pals. :)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So what exactly are pinfeathers? I know they're basically like, waxy blood tubes that turn into feathers, but are they unpleasant for birds to have or such and that's why they get grumpy during molts?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

How about scritch? Yeas and how!

OH goodness that sweet little face

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Kitfox88 posted:

So what exactly are pinfeathers? I know they're basically like, waxy blood tubes that turn into feathers, but are they unpleasant for birds to have or such and that's why they get grumpy during molts?

You've got it mostly. They aren't waxy blood tubes though, they are immature feathers that are still developing, and are encased in a waxy coating. Immature feathers still have blood flowing into/out of them, and so having them damaged can result in the bird bleeding out/it's a bad thing.

Pin feathers seem to just be itchy in general once they get done with their business (the blood is no longer flowing throughout the whole feather and is instead just in the base), and so a lot of preening is about taking care of them. Birds can't take care of their own head pins naturally though, which is where social grooming comes in. Either birds of their flock, or a good bird owner, will help them get rid of pin feathers. Some birds object to this though, so it's all a process.

Molting season is when birds are getting a whole bunch of new feathers at once, so itchiness is worse. Showers/baths are normally recommended to help soothe.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kxMCUk0Pg0

WEH

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Have an indignant dinosaur on...Murphy Monday I guess?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

He screm so hard

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pinfeathers also sometimes seem to be tender, so sometimes you're trying to help rub a bird's head and then you get an indignant SQUAAAAAARK

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

He screm so hard

A good screm. Screm loud, birb.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

So it's kinda like the birdy feather version of a scab in that it's itchy and irritating, got it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
It also takes a lot of energy to grow lots of feathers all at once, so they’re cranky and irritable too.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kitfox88 posted:

So it's kinda like the birdy feather version of a scab in that it's itchy and irritating, got it.

It's like you are giving blood and the needle is in your arm. It won't , of course, hurt unless you move it around.

Then a nurse comes in and moves it because ...reasons; in and out, all around, and pressing down on it.

That is how a bird pin feather do.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

It's like you are giving blood and the needle is in your arm. It won't , of course, hurt unless you move it around.

Then a nurse comes in and moves it because ...reasons; in and out, all around, and pressing down on it.

:gonk: this is a much more visceral explanation thank you but also argh

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

EVIL Gibson posted:

Considering this, birds are pretty good natured.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Took little Serra to get her wings clipped today because she drat near gave us a heart attack yesterday. She decided to fly full tilt into a window.

Thank God she is young and durable. She just looked more confused than anything.

She isn't yet a year old, and I caught her building a nest. She has bedding instead of paper, which is being switched today. Both myself and the dude that owns the place think she is a little chubby. That's good if it's juvenile growing weight. That isn't good if she is going to lay an egg. That would be three cockatiels in a row that started laying eggs on me!

Also, the Bird Hut had baby Amazons and Quakers! Why do I want to cram them into my clothes and let them live with me forever!?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think I'm at a point with Sera and Ozzy that housing them together is realistic. But I'm having a few issues.

1. Sera will happily share a cage during the day, but he gets territorial and fussy about sharing at night. Not violently aggressive, as during the day they're pretty friendly with each other, but there's some hissing.

2. Ozzy has an absolute terror of "arm reaching into cage." Sera's cage necessitates this. Ozzy's cage has a top that opens up like the lid of a box. He likes to sit on this when is open and is unafraid of me picking him up in this setting. If he doesn't want to be picked up he'll just retreat to the floor, but there's no fear. If he's got into Sera's cage, though, which has a small door in the front, he has a bluescreening panic attack at any and every attempt to offer him a finger to step on to. I can only imagine that in his life before me, Something Happened and this is some sort of birdy PTSD.

Sera's cage is the larger of the two (Ozzy's was always meant as a temporary situation anyway) but I've come into a bit of money recently and I could definitely justify dropping some of it on a new, bigger, nicer cage for my cockatiel boys. These are my questions:

1. Is Sera likely to cool off on his territorialness in a new cage?

2. Is it reasonable to expect to find a biggish cage with cockatiel-appropriate bar spacing with a huge door that Ozzy won't have a meltdown about?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I think I'm at a point with Sera and Ozzy that housing them together is realistic. But I'm having a few issues.

1. Sera will happily share a cage during the day, but he gets territorial and fussy about sharing at night. Not violently aggressive, as during the day they're pretty friendly with each other, but there's some hissing.

2. Ozzy has an absolute terror of "arm reaching into cage." Sera's cage necessitates this. Ozzy's cage has a top that opens up like the lid of a box. He likes to sit on this when is open and is unafraid of me picking him up in this setting. If he doesn't want to be picked up he'll just retreat to the floor, but there's no fear. If he's got into Sera's cage, though, which has a small door in the front, he has a bluescreening panic attack at any and every attempt to offer him a finger to step on to. I can only imagine that in his life before me, Something Happened and this is some sort of birdy PTSD.

Sera's cage is the larger of the two (Ozzy's was always meant as a temporary situation anyway) but I've come into a bit of money recently and I could definitely justify dropping some of it on a new, bigger, nicer cage for my cockatiel boys. These are my questions:

1. Is Sera likely to cool off on his territorialness in a new cage?

2. Is it reasonable to expect to find a biggish cage with cockatiel-appropriate bar spacing with a huge door that Ozzy won't have a meltdown about?

I've known precisely one cockatiel that didn't have any cage aggression. RIP, Wandy. She was also ancient and too tired to care about most things.

I think it's a characteristic of their behavoiur and will improve. How I handle it is sitting near the cage with the door open, then immediate scritches when they step up. It took me about a month with my Serra. :)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Putni's become much better with hands since he moved in with Pion. He occasionally still gets a bit spooked when I stick in an arm to replace water and feed, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was looking for average weight of lovebirb, and then saw an article on feather plucking and decided to click on it, and...

quote:

2. Lovebird over lust and excess nutrients
Give a special diet for lovebird. If the lovebird is more than 1 years old, usually this is caused by the level of lust is too high. Treat the lovebird with giving a couple. So that the level of lovebird lust to be down and feather plucking behavior can heal completely.

General treatment for feather plucking on lovebirds
Quarantine lovebird first and separate from other lovebird.
Bathe lovebird with water mixed with betel leaf
Bathe lovebird regularly 2 times a day
Give special diet to lovebird
Feed the cucumber for getting the lower level of lovebird lust
Give couples on lovebird
Continue to observe the changes that occur
Clean the cage regularly

Too much lovebird lust :colbert: Make sure to feed the cucumber for getting the lower level of lovebird lust.

e:

quote:

Preparation for pairing lovebirds
Prepare a mature lovebirds
Make sure that the lovebird that is mated is male and female lovebird
Prepare two separate cages or enclosures
Prepare corn and kale to stimulate lovebird to quickly ripe gonads

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 30, 2018

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So after they're done trying to mate with the corn and kale, how do you get them interested with eachother? :confused:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
With just one special trick, we can create lovebird lutino mutant puppies with a 75% percentage of get lutino.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Is this more from the guy who used pendulums to determine a cockatiel's gender?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
It sounds like tcm

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/MariChrisney/status/1001613749596246016

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spencer has lost so many feathers and as a consequence he now has so many pin feathers that’s he’s a big grumpy suck. He wants us to help preen the ones on his head and face but doesn’t sit still enough for us to get them. So he’s left with a bunch of camouflaged pins that we keep poking as he moves around trying out o get scritches. Calm down you big goofus, we’re here to help.

Scout continues to be a Velcro birb.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I was looking for average weight of lovebirb, and then saw an article on feather plucking and decided to click on it, and...

Too much lovebird lust :colbert: Make sure to feed the cucumber for getting the lower level of lovebird lust.

e:

Is that from an Indian website? Betel leaf and cucumber are both used in Ayurvedic treatments.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
My wife and I leave tomorrow for about a week on our honeymoon, with my parents staying at the house with Nicky to care for her. Luckily, Nicky and dad are best pals and Mom gets along with her well enough. I've still written pages of instruction, but I'm optimistic that things will be ok, even with Nicky just this week being out of her vest for a second try at not picking too much at the patch of skin where her scab was and is re-emerging as a full on birb. We may make a new vest and put her back in even if she's all right, just for safety's sake.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

My wife and I leave tomorrow for about a week on our honeymoon, with my parents staying at the house with Nicky to care for her. Luckily, Nicky and dad are best pals and Mom gets along with her well enough. I've still written pages of instruction, but I'm optimistic that things will be ok, even with Nicky just this week being out of her vest for a second try at not picking too much at the patch of skin where her scab was and is re-emerging as a full on birb. We may make a new vest and put her back in even if she's all right, just for safety's sake.

Grats on the honeymoon! And yeah, I probably would put a vest on her for the time you are gone, tbh. She might be ok, but, she could very well be stressed that you two are gone and start her routine again.

Have a safe trip and enjoy yourselves!!

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

the legendary perfect borb

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Wow, what a difference with all the pins gone. I imagine she is much less grumpy now :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I like your skyball :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
If seeing a cockatiel about to lay an egg before tells me anything, then my cockatiel is about to lay an egg. She is eleven months old. :stare:

Dang bird, can't you wait for your terrible twos! She prefers my father to me, but she is suddenly little miss nippy with him.

With me, she just won't leave the cage. But I did get her clipped yesterday. That means I'm temporarily evil. (Unless treat then not evil)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The best way to get attention is to be the best at getting in the way.