Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Instant Grat posted:

I beat the game and am now in a sort of emotional fugue state. I absolutely do not know what to do with myself. :(
Join us in whiskey drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Instant Grat posted:

I beat the game and am now in a sort of emotional fugue state. I absolutely do not know what to do with myself. :(

buy some hibiki and also yakuza kiwami 2

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I don't have a good photo but just imagine I posted a pic of my Dōjima No Ryū whisky glasses because ye I got the bighuge special edition

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I still haven't had a drink out of mine. I'm afraid to pour anything in them. They're so good.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I still haven't had a drink out of mine. I'm afraid to pour anything in them. They're so good.

This, but I did buy some Japanese whisky for the occasion!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I bought the 300k speargun from the black market dealer guy, which allowed me to easily beat the final level of spearfishing (I was having a hell of a time with just the spearguns you get normally). I'm also having an easy time so far with the Clan Wars stuff, though that's because I looked up all these codes online and have a ridiculous army of Dojima, Akiyama, Kiryu, Date, Pocket Circuit Fighter, and that Amon guy.

Baseball is getting kinda tricky now that I'm up to the final story fight (plus some of the later missions against the Legends), though. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong, since I have all the players I can get up until this point (basically everyone but the ones you can apparently get from the Batting Center in Kamurocho) and they're all level 5 or higher (including the pitcher who is max level and has an A in all stats). My main issue seems to be that my guys just don't get many hits on their own. I'm wondering if I just need to level up even more, though given how comparatively un-grindy the other sub-stories have been I'm not so sure about that.

Speaking of side stories, I really like the bar chat stuff. I also generally like the main plot so far more than that of past Yakuza games; it feels generally better written in a way that's hard to describe. The other games always felt like the plot was sorta zig-zagging from one major event to the next, but I feel like 6 is giving me more time to acquaint myself with the characters.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Baseball:

The players from the batting cages are great - at least the catcher is. His trait helps the performance of your pitchers. Other than that, maximize your manual at-bats during games. Hitting a home run buffs the whole team for a long time. Don't chase bad pitches, use your strikes, etc.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You should be able to beat the last baseball story game once all your bronze guys are level 5 and you can consistently hit homers when at bat. Might still take some luck since there's a lot of randomness in it though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Quick mahjong question: if you draw the last tile you need with a close hand, can you Riichi and then immediately Tsumo with that tile? I got insanely lucky at the Modern medium table and I want to get the most out of it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

If you draw the last tile you need to make a hand, go right to Tsumo. Riichi is more to lock your hand in and start auto-discarding. The reason to try for Riichi is because declaring one automatically makes the hand- if valid- worth more.

Then you can get Ippatsu if you immediately get the next tile via draw or someone’s discard, but only if it’s still the first go round since Riichi was declared.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

widespread posted:

If you draw the last tile you need to make a hand, go right to Tsumo. Riichi is more to lock your hand in and start auto-discarding. The reason to try for Riichi is because declaring one automatically makes the hand- if valid- worth more.

Then you can get Ippatsu if you immediately get the next tile via draw or someone’s discard, but only if it’s still the first go round since Riichi was declared.

Yeah, safe option is definitely to Tsumo now. I'm just wondering if I could Riichi, then immediately Tsumo and Ippatsu, netting two bonus Han basically for doing nothing. Problem with that, thinking about it a little more, is that Riichi requires you to discard something. Oh well.

I guess I'll never know for sure since I care more about finishing the Awards list than making actual cash money off the tables here.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I've never played mahjong irl or in a Yakuza game but you all talk about it so much that I sort of want to learn. Are there english-language sites I could use to learn or am I better off jumping into Yak6 and starting there?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

isk posted:

Baseball:

The players from the batting cages are great - at least the catcher is. His trait helps the performance of your pitchers. Other than that, maximize your manual at-bats during games. Hitting a home run buffs the whole team for a long time. Don't chase bad pitches, use your strikes, etc.

I'm usually fairly decent at player batting; I would say I get home runs at least once a game and only get out (usually due to pop-ups) maybe 1/5 of the time. I could probably bump up my success rate by having more discipline with regards to waiting on good pitches, though (it seems like most pitchers usually have at least a couple pitches that are easy to predict, like the ones that just shift half a square to the left or right).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep! I played baseball for like a decade and I still had to reteach myself not to flail at the first pitch every time. The Legends starting pitcher has several nasty options so it's best to wait on a fastball or changeup.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
:siren: Anri has big juggs :siren:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

eating only apples posted:

I've never played mahjong irl or in a Yakuza game but you all talk about it so much that I sort of want to learn. Are there english-language sites I could use to learn or am I better off jumping into Yak6 and starting there?

Someone recommended an app called Noten Riichi Mahjong earlier and I really like it. Read its tutorials, play a couple games, and later on you can look up common yaku, which are the elements of hands that give you more points and make your hand valid to win (triplet of round or your seat wind, triplet of a dragon, only tiles numbering 2-8, declaring riichi, etc.)

Noten Riichi also does a better job of showing you when you can declare Riichi, or when you're in furiten. In Yakuza 6, you kind of have to mash square every hand (or pay attention) to declare Riichi.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Quick mahjong question: if you draw the last tile you need with a close hand, can you Riichi and then immediately Tsumo with that tile? I got insanely lucky at the Modern medium table and I want to get the most out of it.

Mechanically, you're not allowed to Riichi and Tsumo in a single go, no, because like you said Riichi requires a discard. (If nothing else, that would mean everyone would do it, every single Tsumo, for +1 han - a bit unfair for whoever's in East.)

eating only apples posted:

https://mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/ was pretty good last I checked. I also used to use http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html a lot but the AI is pretty brutal. (One of the benefits is it prints numbers on the character tiles, so you can learn which is which - also, below the game are pictorial representations of all the common yaku which can help a lot when you're trying to remember which is which.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 26, 2018

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Man this makes me sad that we'll still probably not get the licensed themes for the JPN versions. "Loser" in 3 and "Butterfly City" in 4 are really catchy songs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm in chapter 9 of Yakuza 6 now, and I'm pretty sure I've solved the plot - Haruka was impregnated by God and Haruto is the second coming of Jesus.

edit: Women age strangely in the Yakuza universe. Apparently Kiyomi is like the same age as Kiryu?

edit2: And as a result so is Nagumo and his friends I guess? Yuta is the youngest fuckin ~48 year old I've ever seen. (I guess it's possible Nagumo and company are a few years younger than Kiyomi and are more around ~40 or so, but it specifically says it was the bubble economy when Kiyomi went to Tokyo post-high school, so she had to have been at least ~18 by the late 80's.*)

*not much of a spoiler

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 27, 2018

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Pretty sure Yuta is supposed to be much younger than the others.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No, people only ever congregate in groups where everyone else is almost the exact same age as them and it couldn't possibly be as simple as "some people are younger than others"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

No, people only ever congregate in groups where everyone else is almost the exact same age as them and it couldn't possibly be as simple as "some people are younger than others"

I was under the impression they grew up together, though I guess maybe that was just Nagumo and Kiyomi.

Speaking of Yuta, I just found out he's the father. I had actually pegged him as the most likely father, given he was the character I thought most likely for the story to allow to hook up with Haruka.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
What is this Twitch chat in the girl chatting mini game?

Booooobs! Lmao

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
They had to put the JAV idols in somewhere.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
The best part is watching Kiryu type like an old man.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Is there a trick to get the troublr missions to trigger?

I have seven left, and I've been wandering around Kamurocho and Onomichi in premium adventure mode a while and can't get them to appear.

Completeing them all is the last thing on my completion list.

Edit: Onomichi Alight 3 was taking an especially long time to trigger. Read this tip on just parking Kiryu on the dock and leave the PS4 running for 30 min or so. Came back and it triggered! One more to go.

Raimondo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 28, 2018

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ok, the secret of Onomichi being a hidden submarine base containing the battleship Yamato Mk II might be my favorite left field Yakuza plot twist of all time. That cutscene blew my drat mind.

Also, now that I'm getting into it, the baseball minigame is infuriating when you lose. Two questions: is there an actual indicator for when your pitcher is tired and needs to be switched out? Is it generally better to have a gold / high stats player with low morale or a bronze / low stats player with high morale?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Pitchers have a bar with a number of how many pitches they throw, you want to change them out (if you're not using Gorchov) when they get low.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KingShiro posted:

Pitchers have a bar with a number of how many pitches they throw, you want to change them out (if you're not using Gorchov) when they get low.

Yeah, a fully leveled Gorchov can pitch the whole game, he rules.

I really wish there was a rhyme or reason to when you go at bat. Sometimes it’ll keep giving me my worst hitter all game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Randallteal posted:

Ok, the secret of Onomichi being a hidden submarine base containing the battleship Yamato Mk II might be my favorite left field Yakuza plot twist of all time. That cutscene blew my drat mind.

Also, now that I'm getting into it, the baseball minigame is infuriating when you lose. Two questions: is there an actual indicator for when your pitcher is tired and needs to be switched out? Is it generally better to have a gold / high stats player with low morale or a bronze / low stats player with high morale?

The great thing is the hint early on with the Yamato model Matsunaga was building.

I'm getting close to the end (near end spoilers: Someya just killed himself and Kiyomi is presumably also dead; these enemies are total fuckers to an even greater extent than most other Yakuza bad guys). In general Yakuza 6 has had much "tighter" writing than all other Yakuza games I've played, including 0. It just feels much better written and does a good job of keeping the plot focused around the same characters instead of meandering around a bunch.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
When the battleship was revealed I was quite drunk and it was like 3 in the morning. I stood up from my couch, pointed at the TV, and yelled "Oh gently caress you!" I woke up my roommates. That was some straight up Metal Gear poo poo.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 29, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was concerned when the battleship showed up because I was half-expecting some goofy "THIS YAMATO MARK 2 IS SUCH A POWERFUL WEAPON THAT IT WILL MAKE JAPAN A WORLD SUPERPOWER AND PROMPT WORLD WAR 3" plotline, but instead it was the far more reasonable "the fact it was produced is proof of years of corruption in the past."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

I was concerned when the battleship showed up because I was half-expecting some goofy "THIS YAMATO MARK 2 IS SUCH A POWERFUL WEAPON THAT IT WILL MAKE JAPAN A WORLD SUPERPOWER AND PROMPT WORLD WAR 3" plotline, but instead it was the far more reasonable "the fact it was produced is proof of years of corruption in the past."

Yeah, at first I was like “lol, a battleship? That wouldn’t last ten seconds in a modern naval battle”, then they started explaining exactly went down and it was loving brilliant.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I didn't really like the fact that (end game spoilers)both Kiryu and Kiyomi had death fake-outs. Either do it or don't; I would have been okay with Kiyomi surviving or Kiryu surviving if they didn't spend a while trying to trick you into thinking they died (I also feel like making Kiyomi alive sorta retroactively lessens the emotional "oomph" of the final sequence, since Someya's* death was more of a typical Yakuza death while Kiyomi was just "flat-out murdering a friendly civilian character" and pretty beyond the pale even by Yakuza standards). Kiryu being alive is also weird and seems kinda pointless. Either give him his poignant death, or give us the full happy ending where he gets to live at the orphanage with everyone. (It's actually kinda funny that even at the very end of the series Kiryu is continuing to make ill-advised decisions that none of his loved ones would want him to make; a trait that he apparently passed down to Haruka, what with her loving off from the orphanage out of some misguided attempt to help the orphanage kids at the beginning of the game.)

One thing I liked that was the opposite of this (in the sense of being a situation where I expected a fake-out but didn't get one) was the fact that Haruka actually got pregnant, and not for any dramatic reason; she apparently was just into Yuta (and vice versa) and they hooked up. I was expecting either a "not her baby" fake-out or some situation where she hadn't voluntarily become pregnant (since Yakuza loves its melodrama), but instead it was just a situation where two teens hooked up and Yuta forgot to "wrap it up" as Matsunaga put it, lol. It opened the doors to a "Yuta growing up and becoming more mature" character arc that I think worked really well.

* hahahahah I just realized that that poor gently caress died wrongly thinking that his wife was just murdered. That is so depressing it flips around to being funny.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 29, 2018

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't really like the fact that (end game spoilers)both Kiryu and Kiyomi had death fake-outs. Either do it or don't; I would have been okay with Kiyomi surviving or Kiryu surviving if they didn't spend a while trying to trick you into thinking they died (I also feel like making Kiyomi alive sorta retroactively lessens the emotional "oomph" of the final sequence, since Someya's* death was more of a typical Yakuza death while Kiyomi was just "flat-out murdering a friendly civilian character" and pretty beyond the pale even by Yakuza standards). Kiryu being alive is also weird and seems kinda pointless. Either give him his poignant death, or give us the full happy ending where he gets to live at the orphanage with everyone. (It's actually kinda funny that even at the very end of the series Kiryu is continuing to make ill-advised decisions that none of his loved ones would want him to make; a trait that he apparently passed down to Haruka, what with her loving off from the orphanage out of some misguided attempt to help the orphanage kids at the beginning of the game.)

One thing I liked that was the opposite of this (in the sense of being a situation where I expected a fake-out but didn't get one) was the fact that Haruka actually got pregnant, and not for any dramatic reason; she apparently was just into Yuta (and vice versa) and they hooked up. I was expecting either a "not her baby" fake-out or some situation where she hadn't voluntarily become pregnant (since Yakuza loves its melodrama), but instead it was just a situation where two teens hooked up and Yuta forgot to "wrap it up" as Matsunaga put it, lol. It opened the doors to a "Yuta growing up and becoming more mature" character arc that I think worked really well.

* hahahahah I just realized that that poor gently caress died wrongly thinking that his wife was just murdered. That is so depressing it flips around to being funny.

I didn't understand how Kiryu's death being faked helped the shady politician at all. Kiryu presented it like it would give the politician leverage over him to prevent him from coming forward in the future, but it seems like Kiryu could still leak the info at any point, and now has evidence tying the politician to him directly through the fake death certificate.

One thing I do love about recent Yakuza endings is how 6 and 0 both had nerdlinger bad guys pull off their shirts to reveal Schwarzenegger-esque six packs. All I could think of when Tsuneo stripped down was George Michael wearing the muscle suit in Arrested Development.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Randallteal posted:

I didn't understand how Kiryu's death being faked helped the shady politician at all. Kiryu presented it like it would give the politician leverage over him to prevent him from coming forward in the future, but it seems like Kiryu could still leak the info at any point, and now has evidence tying the politician to him directly through the fake death certificate.

One thing I do love about recent Yakuza endings is how 6 and 0 both had nerdlinger bad guys pull off their shirts to reveal Schwarzenegger-esque six packs. All I could think of when Tsuneo stripped down was George Michael wearing the muscle suit in Arrested Development.

Realtalk, (endgame) CEO of Iwami Shipbuilding is one of my favorite boss fight title cards in this series

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Realtalk, (endgame) CEO of Iwami Shipbuilding is one of my favorite boss fight title cards in this series

Yeah, that was extremely good. Also, I did this karaoke last night and I almost failed the song from laughing so hard at Kiryu's growly vocals and dumb sunglasses, perfect fit for that Evanescence-rear end song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfOoPEISyQ

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Randallteal posted:

Yeah, that was extremely good. Also, I did this karaoke last night and I almost failed the song from laughing so hard at Kiryu's growly vocals and dumb sunglasses, perfect fit for that Evanescence-rear end song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfOoPEISyQ

Kiryu's accompaniments are all hilarious and just consist of him intensely yelling a bunch in the background.

edit: Hahahhaa I forgot about the sunglasses. I think these accompaniments are the most uncharacteristic behavior we ever get out of Kiryu.

This part specifically, can't stop laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfOoPEISyQ&t=86s

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 30, 2018

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Finally beat this game the other week and I love how one of the later missions (mild spoiler) requires Kiryu to literally shoot not one, but two helicopters out of the sky with a rocket launcher and yet they still have the nerve to push the whole "Kiryu has never killed anyone" narrative.

This whole series is so gloriously absurd and I love it. Time to fire up Yakuza 0 and go through the whole thing over again. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

Finally beat this game the other week and I love how one of the later missions (mild spoiler) requires Kiryu to literally shoot not one, but two helicopters out of the sky with a rocket launcher and yet they still have the nerve to push the whole "Kiryu has never killed anyone" narrative.

This whole series is so gloriously absurd and I love it. Time to fire up Yakuza 0 and go through the whole thing over again. :allears:

I like how guns are trivial during player-controlled fights, but realistically deadly during cutscenes. A bad guy will pull out a gun and everyone will just stand there staring at them, waiting to get shot.

One thing that always bugged me is how the protagonists always leave a gun sitting next to defeated enemies. It's like they're just asking for the enemy to suddenly grab it and tragically shoot someone (Yakuza 4 was especially bad with this; I'm pretty sure this happened at least 3 times in that game). It seems like they'd learn their lesson after the first couple times they had a loved one killed this way!

• Locked thread