Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I need to fix my spin bike and to do that, I need a wrench (I think?) to take off this nut:

What kind of wrench or tool do I need? All the wrenches I have are too large (and one too small) to fit.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Nanigans posted:

I need to fix my spin bike and to do that, I need a wrench (I think?) to take off this nut:

What kind of wrench or tool do I need? All the wrenches I have are too large (and one too small) to fit.

Do you only have inch wrenches? It's probably metric. Try borrowing some metric wrenches from someone. If that doesn't work, an adjustable wrench AKA a Crescent wrench can adjust to any size nut.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Nanigans posted:

Its likely 15, 17 or 19mm metric. You will need a socket wrench and the appropriate socket to loosen that up as a regular wrench won't be able to get in there. Sometimes on bicycle cranks, they are reverse threaded on one side and regular threaded on the other to prevent the weight/rotation from loosening them.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Verman posted:

Its likely 15, 17 or 19mm metric. You will need a socket wrench and the appropriate socket to loosen that up as a regular wrench won't be able to get in there. Sometimes on bicycle cranks, they are reverse threaded on one side and regular threaded on the other to prevent the weight/rotation from loosening them.

The pedals are the ones that are reverse threaded. The crank bolt which this is the equivalent of, is always normally threaded

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

tangy yet delightful posted:

Wait you have a single acre and with 2 x 46" mowers it takes 3 hours? I must be parsing something wrong here.

5 acres

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

mds2 posted:

5 acres

What's the point of 5 acres of lawn?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Speaking of lawnmower chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6CsvAffHo&t=216s

I don't know about your atv, but mine is 3ft wide. There's more than enough body in the middle of a used 100lb propane tank to make a chain hub like in the video. If you've got a snowplow for your ATV you could copy it for the chassis mount. I think the really only important question is how big a motor you'd need to drive the flail, and the size of your alternator.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My mates property has a 10 acre "house yard", grass is kept short by some sheep and a mower. Helps with bushfires to have no scrub close by.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of lawnmower chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6CsvAffHo&t=216s

I don't know about your atv, but mine is 3ft wide. There's more than enough body in the middle of a used 100lb propane tank to make a chain hub like in the video. If you've got a snowplow for your ATV you could copy it for the chassis mount. I think the really only important question is how big a motor you'd need to drive the flail, and the size of your alternator.

I think secondary engine might be a better idea

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The power is definitely there but then you need a transmission.

If you've got a motor with enough poles on it you could maybe do a direct drive.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Gives me something to mow.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

After lots of comparison shopping I went for this boy:
http://www.bosch-professional.com/middle-east/en/sliding-mitre-saw-gcm-800-sj-226567-0601b19000.html

With an extra bosch optiline wood 2mm 60 teeth blade. I'll use the 48 tooth blade it comes with for cutting construction lumber.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

BeastOfExmoor posted:

5 Acres between you and your neighbor.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Jaded Burnout posted:

After lots of comparison shopping I went for this boy:
http://www.bosch-professional.com/middle-east/en/sliding-mitre-saw-gcm-800-sj-226567-0601b19000.html

With an extra bosch optiline wood 2mm 60 teeth blade. I'll use the 48 tooth blade it comes with for cutting construction lumber.

that's a good saw, and your paint grade trim will be fine with the 48

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tim Thomas posted:

that's a good saw, and your paint grade trim will be fine with the 48

Different use case, this is unpainted Siberian larch cladding.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Well, we ended up with a 32" worldlawn floating deck walk behind with a 16hp Kawasaki engine and keyed ignition. I realize chinese tech is not going to be as good as the equivalent Toro or whatever, but those were significantly more expensive and seemed entirely geared at professionals, whereas this one seems to be trying to uncomfortably straddle the line between "people with sort of unusually hardcore lawns" and "prosumer".

This is probably overkill for what we need to do, but I looked at a lot of cheaper and less hardcore options and just couldn't convince myself that we wouldn't kill them in a year or two. We don't actually have a ton to mow, but half of it is crazier than anything I've ever tried to mow before (in terms of steep, uneven, gouged land, etc), and I grew up in the woods with several acres to mow.

I am not used to operating a mower that I am physically incapable of lifting fully off the ground, so this ought to be exciting.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 30, 2018

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

xwing posted:

5 Acres between you and your neighbor.

No problem with lots of land, but 5 acres of lawn just seems like a huge headache unless you routinely host soccer practice or something. Plant some trees, native bushes, a vegetable garden, or something in a big chunk of it or whatever.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I just signed a purchase agreement on my first house, and am therefore in the market for my first lawn mower. I went to Home Depot the other day to check out my options in person, and was pretty surprised to find that over 3/4 of their inventory was electric mowers. I didn't even realize that this was a thing, much less the new norm. I guess I've been out of the mowing game for about a decade now.

I did my best to survey the last few pages of this thread, and it seems like a lot of you guys and gals are going the way of electric mowers too:

VERTiG0 posted:

After 3 weeks of research and deliberation, I picked up one of those Kobalt 80v battery powered push mowers to replace my piece of poo poo gas mower. On sale, $150 off and no tax (big deal since that's 13% here). What a world of difference. Can do my whole lot twice on one of the two included 2Ah batteries. I have a Stihl FSA56 battery trimmer that I also like and was looking at the new Stihl mowers, but for the money and them being made by the same company, the Kobalt won out.

No more oil changes, air filters or spark plugs, no more storing gasoline, and the ability to hear myself think while I mow. gently caress gas mowers.

My new place is in an urban area with a tiny lawn. I'm also not particularly mechanically inclined. I think I (sadly) already know the answer to this question, but is an electric mower really the way to go these days? Are there particular brands that have distinguished themselves in this category, or can I just pick one up on Amazon like I would a toaster?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric mowers have been the standard for longer than I've been alive. Flymo had quite a bit of mindshare for a while, their main selling points being a hovercraft effect which makes it easier to mow tight spaces as you can move it in any direction, and they compact quite well, supposedly. I've never used one.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Blakkout posted:

I just signed a purchase agreement on my first house, and am therefore in the market for my first lawn mower. I went to Home Depot the other day to check out my options in person, and was pretty surprised to find that over 3/4 of their inventory was electric mowers. I didn't even realize that this was a thing, much less the new norm. I guess I've been out of the mowing game for about a decade now.

I did my best to survey the last few pages of this thread, and it seems like a lot of you guys and gals are going the way of electric mowers too:

My new place is in an urban area with a tiny lawn. I'm also not particularly mechanically inclined. I think I (sadly) already know the answer to this question, but is an electric mower really the way to go these days? Are there particular brands that have distinguished themselves in this category, or can I just pick one up on Amazon like I would a toaster?

I would suggest a manual push mower or an electric (either battery or corded) depending on how big your yard really is.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Electric mowers have been the standard for longer than I've been alive.

with a 2004 reg date I sort of question that

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tim Raines IRL posted:

with a 2004 reg date I sort of question that

He's from blighty and with their 10ft x20ft yards they mow em plugged up. No way he means actually good battery powered mowers.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I used to have to mow a large area with lovely gas mowers as a teenager so I really don't care for them. When I bought my first house I got a 200 dollar 19" corded black and decker and was happy with it. Used it for about 4 years before I started paying someone to do the yard for me. I maybe had 4500sq ft of grass to mow on a 70 x 110 lot. I easily got everywhere I needed with a 100 ft cord. It was worth it to not have to deal with a small gas engine. I realize newer mowers with good engines are light years better than the crap I had to deal with 20 years ago, but still, not having to deal with oil and gasoline was nice.

I recommend going electric in some form for a small residential lot. Just from a noise and maintenance perspective I think they're better. I probably won't go battery as I don't find the cord to be that big of a deal, and my trimmer and blower are corded as well. The new battery tech is tempting though.

edit: If anyone cares the EGO LM2101 is Consumer Report's highest rated electric battery push mower, with the Honda HRR216PKA taking top marks for the gas.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 31, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

He's from blighty and with their 10ft x20ft yards they mow em plugged up. No way he means actually good battery powered mowers.

huh, interesting. I had no idea that was a normal thing ~30 years ago, but I grew up in the woods.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Pretty much all mowers have gotten infinitely better. Batteries are 10x better but they can be costly. Electrics are nice and light plus they are pretty quiet. Gas went mostly four stroke so no more mixing fuel and oil together.

I have the honda four stroke gas mower because i have a large double lot (takes about 30+ minutes to do) and its been one of the more reliable small engines I've ever used. I was reluctant spending $400 on a mower but it starts first pull every time and never gives me issues. The twin blade mulches really well which is good because I'm not going to deal with bagging grass.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

huh, interesting. I had no idea that was a normal thing ~30 years ago, but I grew up in the woods.

Yes this. Wired electric was (and for the most part still is) the norm on these shores. I've seen exactly one gas-powered mower in the hands of a regular resident in my 30+ years of life and that's the guy who lives across the road from me and uses it to overkill the 6x10 patch of grass in front of his house. Maybe he has a big back garden.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm going to need to seal about 200 linear feet of fence (front and back) in the near future. Is it worth picking up a sprayer of some sort (or rent), or just suck it up and do it by hand (or pay someone to do it)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

skipdogg posted:

I'm going to need to seal about 200 linear feet of fence (front and back) in the near future. Is it worth picking up a sprayer of some sort (or rent), or just suck it up and do it by hand (or pay someone to do it)

One of those big bug sprayer pump bottle things and a roller on a stick works fine for me.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

skipdogg posted:

Get a homeowner size airless, be done in 1-2 hours.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Can anyone recommend a good place to order replacement parts for a Ridgid r4511 Table Saw? I'd be ordering to Canada.

I'm having an issue with a sticky power switch and I want to order a new unit. I took it apart and tried reseating the cables but no luck. I think the actual switch mechanism has become too loose.

Originally it just took several switches to turn the saw on, which was annoying but usable. Now I'm having the same issue when turning it off, which is super unsafe so I need to get this resolved asap.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

keep it down up there! posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place to order replacement parts for a Ridgid r4511 Table Saw? I'd be ordering to Canada.

I'm having an issue with a sticky power switch and I want to order a new unit. I took it apart and tried reseating the cables but no luck. I think the actual switch mechanism has become too loose.

Originally it just took several switches to turn the saw on, which was annoying but usable. Now I'm having the same issue when turning it off, which is super unsafe so I need to get this resolved asap.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ridgid-table-saw-parts-c-7929_8171.html

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Thanks!

Looks like just the switch is discontinued so I'd have to buy the entire assembly for $70. Thats a pain =/
But If it's my only choice, oh well!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Leave it on, get a new switch

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodriver-accessory-power-switch

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Also a good idea. Thanks!

coathat
May 21, 2007

I need this incrediblely stupid machine. https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/tls/d/emcostar-6-1-multi/6603514498.html

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

:aaaaa:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I missed out on one of those a while back, it went for £45

coathat
May 21, 2007

They didn’t sell hardly any in America so I really wished I had the cash to burn since they’re so rare here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

Its likely 15, 17 or 19mm metric. You will need a socket wrench and the appropriate socket to loosen that up as a regular wrench won't be able to get in there.

And once that nut is off the crank still won't come off because OPs gonna need a crank puller. Note the threads on the crank itself. That's what those are for - cranks are "pressed" on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I had no idea bikes needed that, so I decided to google what that is.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/how-to-remove-and-install-a-crank#article-section-1