Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

butros posted:

Usually the way it goes is when the round starts, one partner will stand up to start passing and the other will respond by laying back to playing guard. Most guys follow a rule of thumb my professor has that if his opponent doesn't start to try to pass within three seconds, he will. So you rarely see stalemating/patty-cake on the knees.

I've also noticed that the higher ranking belt in rolls will often start a roll by immediately laying back to play guard and to let the lower ranked guys try to work their passes (though eventually it's also pretty much inevitable that mid-roll the the higher belts to transition to a passing/top game) .

I am not a huge fan of starting from knees and wish we would do more from standing, but my understanding is that it's mostly related to having a lot of guys in a small space.

My favorite type of rolling is actually situational sparring - for example we're working on back attacks this week so our professor is having us roll from that position - guy on the back is working to submit, or transition to mount, guy with his back taken is trying to escape and get to his knees facing. Any of those end-points result in a reset to the starting position. I like that approach as it really helps me dig in on certain positions, and also giving me the chance to work what we've been going over within defined parameters that help me keep focused on internalizing those techniques.

This post is where its at. My old gyms almost never did situational sparring. But those few times I did do I still remember the lessons like 10 years later.

And yeah midget wrestling sucks. I consider it a bit rude to stand up right away, but once engagement has been made its fair game imo. BJJ should focus on more standup generally as an art, its a big downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Positional sparring rules. My gym usually does ~30 minutes of it after drilling, starting in whatever position the move(s) of the day were from. It's good for getting a feel for novel positions even if your entries for it suck, and when the hell else are you going to experience the fleeting joy of having an upper belt in mount or back mount?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We were doing drills from x guard on Monday and that's a dope position to work from

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Defenestrategy posted:

On the subject of standing up immediately, is it "bad form" in ya'lls opinion to just technical stand up against people who refuse to engage your guard and just attempt to agility pass when generally one person starts open guard and the other starts standing/combat base?

That's what you should do. They want to play the stand-up game without any of the stand-up consequences. Besides the fact that one of the most basic principles of top control is "don't let your opponent stand up."

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

Slow the pace of your rolls, ask your partner to work on a position with you and teach you something vs just rolling.

Yeah I guess I just need to get used to it if I'm going to get better. I would prefer to drill all day I think though.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyway, anyone watching Worlds?

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

spb posted:

Saw some blue belt highlights. I'll probably watch the blackbelts this weekend.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

spb posted:

I forgot I subbed to Flo for a month to watch some teammates complete a few weeks ago and luckily my sub is still good till next weekend.

My gym has 4 people competing. 2 female Black black belts and 2 purples

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I had three straight rounds today against guys who like to work diaphragm chokes and god I feel like death now hahaha

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Any recommendations for hard plastic ear protectors? Venum soft one just doesn't cut it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It’ll probably get buried because Danaher is releasing stuff right now but the new Lachlan Giles DVD on guillotines/darces/north south chokes/etc is really good. You can tell that he’s watched a lot of DVDs because everything is really concise and well-structured with rewatchability in mind.

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

Mursupitsku posted:

Any recommendations for hard plastic ear protectors? Venum soft one just doesn't cut it.

cliff keen signatures. take it from someone with insanely hosed up ears

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had three straight rounds today against guys who like to work diaphragm chokes and god I feel like death now hahaha

wtf is a diaphragm choke? Knee on belly?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

It was this weird knee on belly plus pulling up on my back collar deal. I am not sure what its official name was but it looked and felt different from a traditional knee on belly

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

wait til you start training foot chokes, it'll make the diaphragm chokes feel like arm chokes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

A subset of submissions that rely on compressing the diaphragm. You cant breathe if you cant expand your chest. For more see josh barnett submit dean lister with the fat man choke.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

A subset of submissions that rely on compressing the diaphragm. You cant breathe if you cant expand your chest. For more see josh barnett submit dean lister with the fat man choke.

one of my favorite youtube videos of all time is this (honestly pretty good) breakdown of the barnett/lister scrap. it has this incredibly cheesy 'epic movie trailer' music going on in the background as barnett lays on lister fatly in a speedo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X5N_7LCVtM

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Yeah, it felt exactly like getting choked just without any compression on my throat

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I've got one of those from s mount. It's very interesting to see the reaction go from "this is uncomfortable" to "holy gently caress I can't breathe, I have to tap to this bullshit"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

I've got one of those from s mount. It's very interesting to see the reaction go from "this is uncomfortable" to "holy gently caress I can't breathe, I have to tap to this bullshit"

It took me awhile to tap because I was trying to figure out how I was getting choked when he wasn't even touching my neck. Like my body was going "tap you idiot" and my mind was going "hold on something ain't right here"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah I've got kinda half one. I can tap white belts only with it though, and after I tell them to not tap to pressure.

I basically just do s-mount but kinda angle my hip/butt to sit right in the middle of their chest, usually pulling on the back of their head. How do you do yours?

This is not really related, but when I was a white a big purple who taught the class would submit me by opening his gi, pushing his bare chest into my face then closing the gi around my head. From mount of course, and he had a heavy mount.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

pushing his bare chest into my face then closing the gi around my head. From mount of course, and he had a heavy mount.

Eric Paulson calls this "Mothers Milk", if a Rash Guard is involved "Sour Milk"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Are you guys talking about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s0VxxSNu-g

An upper belt in my gym does it a lot and I had him teach me it and now I catch a decent amount of people with it, it's hilarious. He's stocky so I thought it might be a big man power move but you can get it on anyone around your weight or lower.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Yeah I've got kinda half one. I can tap white belts only with it though, and after I tell them to not tap to pressure.

I basically just do s-mount but kinda angle my hip/butt to sit right in the middle of their chest, usually pulling on the back of their head. How do you do yours?

Yep! Although I put a leg under their head and grab it (making sort of a lovely triangle) to pull on the back of their head.

It's great!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NegGhNer3bY&t=194s

I like the variation with the leg grab. I get this all the time.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I was playing around with arm bar escapes last night and forgot about the wristlock and my partner was so eager to get a tap I'm 99% sure he broke something in my wrist.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

from experience wrist locks exist in exactly two states: not used at all or applied with so much force your whole poo poo starts crunching under the pressure

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

from experience wrist locks exist in exactly two states: not used at all or applied with so much force your whole poo poo starts crunching under the pressure

That's the problem with wristlocks, they don't work (90+% of the time), until they do work (which results in an injury)!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I got wristlocked in my first roll on my second day training ever and it was months before it stopped hurting.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

I only use them, because I am super lazy after catching an omoplata to finish.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

I was playing around with arm bar escapes last night and forgot about the wristlock and my partner was so eager to get a tap I'm 99% sure he broke something in my wrist.
drat that sucks. Are you getting an xray or MRI on it?

Also re diaphragm chokes, I have a positional asphyxia choke in my arsenal. There is no direct pressure on neck or mouth or even belly. The position forces the person into a compressed cradle where they can no longer expand their chest to breathe. It just feels uncomfortable at first until they realize they can't inhale. It's been years and years since I learned or used it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

Also re diaphragm chokes, I have a positional asphyxia choke in my arsenal. There is no direct pressure on neck or mouth or even belly. The position forces the person into a compressed cradle where they can no longer expand their chest to breathe. It just feels uncomfortable at first until they realize they can't inhale. It's been years and years since I learned or used it.

Are you just using a wrestlers cradle combined with body weight position, or what?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Defenestrategy posted:

Are you just using a wrestlers cradle combined with body weight position, or what?
No, it isn't a wrestlers cradle. I'll try to dig up my notes on it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

Yep! Although I put a leg under their head and grab it (making sort of a lovely triangle) to pull on the back of their head.

It's great!

Kinda like this?

I'm struggling to remember the details of mine, its been too long. I'd need a dummy to figure it out, but I think my foot is usually under the shoulder instead of under the head.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

Kinda like this?

I'm struggling to remember the details of mine, its been too long. I'd need a dummy to figure it out, but I think my foot is usually under the shoulder instead of under the head.

Yesssssss, exactly like that.

Edit: or maybe the triangle goes the other way.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Fanatics posted the first look at the Danaher reshoots, they look and sound much better

https://youtu.be/vJj_mQ4XC9U

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
People are weird about wristlocks, both giving and receiving. I suspect their reputation of being "dirty" or "prison rules" moves leads to a filter on the sort of person who hunts for them. They're also way more likely to provoke a non-standard verbal tap like "owowow" or just "ok" for some reason, even when applied slowly and deliberately.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheTofuShop posted:

Fanatics posted the first look at the Danaher reshoots, they look and sound much better

https://youtu.be/vJj_mQ4XC9U

A very very powerful finish indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

I'm probably going to do the dumb thing and just ignore it and hope it heals on it's own and pretend I won't have long term complications in the future.