Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

A very very powerful finish indeed.

INCREDIBLE. BREAKING. PRESSURE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I don't think I've ever been wristlocked.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

JaySB posted:

I'm probably going to do the dumb thing and just ignore it and hope it heals on it's own and pretend I won't have long term complications in the future.

I have no grappling or medical credibility but here I go anyway-- get that poo poo checked out.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

spb posted:

I don't think I've ever been wristlocked.

You would know if you have. There's a very fine and quick line between pain and a pop as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There are a couple guys at my gym who are really really into wristlocks. Wristlocks have become a bit of an inside joke, and everyone has become pretty good at defending them. But then at every tournament at least one person from our club wins one match by wristlock, and it's quite often a "I wasn't looking for it but then he put it in front of my face so I grabbed it and he tapped" thing, which usually indicates that the opponent's club doesn't have a wrist trog.

In otherwords, wristlocks are poo poo unless they're a surprise, and then they're amazing. And yes, they go 0% to 101% pretty fast.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Can you wristlock against white belts? Maybe that's why I haven't experienced it, similar to leglocks

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spb posted:

Can you wristlock against white belts? Maybe that's why I haven't experienced it, similar to leglocks

I guess you could if you were histories greatest monster

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spb posted:

Not in IBJJF.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

spb posted:

Everyone who puts their hands on my hips in closed guard gets treated to this until they stop doing it, white belt or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Tm6Ddm3Yw

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Yuns posted:

No, it isn't a wrestlers cradle. I'll try to dig up my notes on it.

Maybe the sugar hold?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Holy poo poo, am I bad in a Gi. Jesus.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Drewjitsu posted:

Holy poo poo, am I bad in a Gi. Jesus.

You only do no-gi?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I miss no gi.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Yuns posted:

Lost my belt yesterday. :argh: I didn't pack it back into my bag when leaving class. I think I accidentally dropped it into the laundry service bin with my gi. I'll have to wait until next week to see if it shows up.

You have a laundry service for your Gi's? Thats pretty cool.

JaySB posted:

You would know if you have. There's a very fine and quick line between pain and a pop as well.

I dont think it even has to pop to do damage :(

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxKMO9LE6I

quote:

Krav Maga vs Jiu Jitsu Fighting it's a movie from the BJJ competition in which, as the head of the organization Wataha Krav Maga, I decided to take a part. You can not consider which of the martial arts is better, but you can verify if Krav Maga vs Jiu Jitsu really works.

It turns out that the elements trained on our training's are just as effective as BJJ techniques and can compete with BJJ players.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I am far from an expert but I don't think either of those dudes knows BJJ

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i was reading about this earlier. the dude that posted the video is some krav maga black? belt instructor and the other guy is a kid with 4 months of training under his belt. this is a deeply embarrassing video for krav guy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wangsbig posted:

i was reading about this earlier. the dude that posted the video is some krav maga black? belt instructor and the other guy is a kid with 4 months of training under his belt. this is a deeply embarrassing video for krav guy

I objectively couldn't tell which one is which

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I objectively couldn't tell which one is which

Same, this looks like a beginner/novice no-gi match.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Was the "does akido work" thing discussed in this thread? An akido guy of like 10 years lightly sparred with an MMA guy, and it went as you'd imagine.

I really like seeing martial arts against each other, even if they're crappy quality or one-sided. Reminds me of the early UFC days.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I love watching one-sided demolitions and think they can be really educational. Like that early UFC fight where the medium-sized Brazilian guy leg kicks a big wrestler for ten minutes straight and you can see the leg changing colour and he gets slower and slower and then collapses like a felled tree. And that fight where GSP just jabbed Josh Koscheck in the same eye all fight long until he was half-blind and his orbital bones were all hosed up.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I got into a discussion with a guy that studies under a kung-fu guy that's supposed to fight the Chinese MMA dude that's winning against a bunch of TMA instructors in China.

Guy argued that Kung-Fu was just as good as MMA, only problem being that to become decent at Kung-Fu you need to work at it for decades, whereas MMA takes only a few years to get decent at comparatively. I think he kinda understood he sounded ridiculous after a while, but I'm kinda really looking forward to that fight now.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Odddzy posted:

You only do no-gi?

Pretty much. Any extended bit of gi training means my hands start to resent the rest of my body. It's not good.

I think in the last 8 years, I've worn my gi less than 50 times.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Count Roland posted:

Was the "does akido work" thing discussed in this thread? An akido guy of like 10 years lightly sparred with an MMA guy, and it went as you'd imagine.

I really like seeing martial arts against each other, even if they're crappy quality or one-sided. Reminds me of the early UFC days.

Nah, that's in the regular martial arts thread where we all came to the conclusion that "Aikido is bullshit"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I admit I have a soft spot for ThePinkman and other dudes who do MMA vs. blank videos

I recall he had a really good one deconstructing every "Grappling isn't useful in a street fight" tough guy argument

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I love watching one-sided demolitions and think they can be really educational. Like that early UFC fight where the medium-sized Brazilian guy leg kicks a big wrestler for ten minutes straight and you can see the leg changing colour and he gets slower and slower and then collapses like a felled tree. And that fight where GSP just jabbed Josh Koscheck in the same eye all fight long until he was half-blind and his orbital bones were all hosed up.

I will always cherish how the first UFC fight ever was a tiny french kickboxer KOing a dude three times his size in less than a minute

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Marco Ruas vs Paul Varelens at UFC 7. It's pretty remarkable that for that time Ruas won 3 fights in a one-sided fashion in different ways in an 8 man tournament. Leg kicked a guy to submission, out grappled a guy to the point he just gave up and heel hooked a guy pretty quickly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I get sad whenever the Aikido Guy thing happens in these threads because it always follows the same pattern of us welcoming him into the thread, and warning him that Aikido Guys often get pissed off and leave the thread and to not take the trolls seriously, and he goes "ok cool that's fine" and then 1/2 a page later he's frothing defensively at the insinuation that Aikido isn't a perfect and complete fighting system and that maybe he should just check out something with a bit of live sparring and then he's gone again forever. I really just want these threads to have 2 or 3 TMA guys who are at peace with the fact that their discipline is not some kind of magic orientalist perfect fighting thing and they just like going and working out and that's OK, because really there might be some interesting techniques to learn from someone who knows lots about these styles.

:rip: Aikido guy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
RIP!

The only chill aikido people I've met are in real life and they've all been retired from more competitive stuff.

Like I knew an aikido dude who was like 3rd or 4th dan in judo but too physically shot for it anymore so he picked up aikido as a lower impact sport. Dude could still whip a nice hip throw if he was feeling spry that day.

Another guy played college O line, kickboxed at a very low pro level and was an all around "giant violent man". He got into aikido and iiado in his 30's because he wanted to curve his temper and liked the mental spiritual training.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean in general I think the "real and practical" worthiness of a martial art is overrated unless you do MMA because otherwise who spends that much time concerned about or prepared for constant real life fights.

On the other hand tho, if your style has flaws be honest about them and dont convince yourself you are goku because you learned to control chi when throwing a dude who is going along with it

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will always cherish how the first UFC fight ever was a tiny french kickboxer KOing a dude three times his size in less than a minute

You might want to watch that again, Gordeau was far from tiny.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Count Roland posted:

You might want to watch that again, Gordeau was far from tiny.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

He's loving six foot five

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Here, I fixed the statement for everyone, let's move on:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will always cherish how the first UFC fight ever was an in comparison tiny french kickboxer KOing a dude three timestwice his size in less than a minute

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 7, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Neon Belly posted:

Here, I fixed the statement for everyone, let's move on:

Thank you for your assistance in this matter so that we can instead focus on the cool part which was the dude getting his teeth literally kicked in

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thank you for your assistance in this matter so that we can instead focus on the cool part which was the dude getting his teeth literally kicked in

Gordeau isn't someone I'd look up to though. He's a real piece of poo poo. The guy eye gouged Yuki Nakai during a Kumite and he lost all vision in that eye permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Odddzy posted:

Gordeau isn't someone I'd look up to though. He's a real piece of poo poo. The guy eye gouged Yuki Nakai during a Kumite and he lost all vision in that eye permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjvzJO-6ESc

Holy crap no one is looking up to him he was just a dude who annihilated a much larger guy in the very first ufc fight ever and as a teen I thought it was cool as hell when I rented the video of ufc 1 and how has this become a derail

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Let me try to rerail the thread with a dumb white belt question.

I am trying to pull off an escape I learned a while ago from bottom turtle, where when your opponent goes for the harness grip, you trap their long (non-choking) arm, roll, and eventually some how come out in side control maybe?

Problem is when I have tried it in live rolling the past few weeks I have trapped, rolled, and then somehow ended up gifting my opponent an armbar. What am I doing wrong?

HunterDevourer
Mar 16, 2004
The Missing

butros posted:

I am trying to pull off an escape I learned a while ago from bottom turtle, where when your opponent goes for the harness grip, you trap their long (non-choking) arm, roll, and eventually some how come out in side control maybe?

Problem is when I have tried it in live rolling the past few weeks I have trapped, rolled, and then somehow ended up gifting my opponent an armbar. What am I doing wrong?

Something like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rda4BlGhsvc I concentrate on ensuring you've trapped their arm over the elbow. If your grip on the trapping arm is too shallow (i.e. on the forearm) it'll be harder to roll them. Probably still possible, but less reliable - can usually use this if your opponent sticks their arm too far in.

The roll should feel pretty natural, you're just rolling over your should but pulling your opponent with you via the elbow control. Keep the movement going and you'll end up on top in a sort of reverse kesa gatame.

It's pretty easy to do as a one for one rolling drill as well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

butros posted:

You're giving them too much space when you roll them. You need to keep your elbow pinned gangbusters to your ribs and their hand to your sternum or else you'll give the arm bar.

Note your experience though, as it should be telling you something: that escape/reversal isn't reliable against experienced opponents. It's something we teach to judo kids to help them start to understand the concept of a reversal or fighting out of turtle, but few people get caught by it more than two or three times ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Holy crap no one is looking up to him he was just a dude who annihilated a much larger guy in the very first ufc fight ever and as a teen I thought it was cool as hell when I rented the video of ufc 1 and how has this become a derail

It's all good man, I just wanted to post the Choke video for those that never saw it and that was a great excuse to do so.