Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Aunt Beth posted:

When IBM bought SoftLayer the joke was that they only bought the servers and none of the automation or stack, so in typical thrifty IBM fashion every time you hit OK to spin up a new instance it just sent a message to a room full of people India who immediately began frantically clicking around in a VMWare console.

You're not far off from the actual truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I used to like softlayer :smith:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone able to explain outsourcing? And explain it well?

Since I’ve started consulting with hundred of companies about three years (yes it’s still a small sample size but I have some experience) it’s incredibly common but I have yet to see a - single - instance where it was actually beneficial. The quality is just poor.

The added bureaucracy just due to the fact they’re not actual employees slows everything down, the contractors aren’t really that engaged beyond just meeting their SLA. True, everyone needs to hit their numbers but there’s more to just doing the basics but actually learn the environment and automating systems do there are less tickets in the first place.

Knowledge transfers are awful for everyone including the business and to this day all the fancy teleconferencing in the world hasn’t replaced basic physical face-to-face communication. This isn’t a criticism of the person however at least in the United States you’ve got to be able to speak English and speak it well. If you can’t communicate it doesn’t matter how smart you are at all.

Personally, all I see outsourcing for IT at the least is overwhelmingly just a way for unimaginative leaders to shave of a few points that don’t understand technology not actual business value.

But I guess making shareholders happy is the cool thing to do so...

With the caveat that I'm not a management expert, I see three main reasons to do it:

1. The thing you're outsourcing is simple and it's cheaper to hire someone else to do it. This is the one organizations usually screw up: the task isn't that simple, or they cheap out so much that they don't have competent people doing that work. Outsourced phone support is the classic example. I've also seen absolutely terrible outsourced internal helpdesks, where end user support is handled by an outside firm even though everything else is in-house.

2. The organization is too small to have full-time staff doing the thing you're outsourcing. An old friend works for a small family accounting firm. They outsource any IT more complicated than "install a printer" or "add a user," which is just done by one specific employee who also has other duties, because they don't need much and they can't really afford dedicated IT staff.

3. You need subject matter expertise in a specific thing, quickly, and no one in-house has it, and you don't expect to need the expertise going forward. We brought in a consulting engineer to design our VoIP system from the ground up, because no one on staff had the expertise to do it. The engineer is fantastic, but after roll-out completion, they're off to their next project.

I agree that usually it's a terrible decision done as a cost-savings measure. The outsourced staff don't have any investment in the mission of the organization, their management will make them do the bare minimum to satisfy the contract because it means more money in their pocket personally, and because you don't control them directly, making changes or fixing problems becomes a pain in the rear end. Outsourcing also often winds up being more expensive overall, not less.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

Is anyone able to explain outsourcing? And explain it well?

Since I’ve started consulting with hundred of companies about three years (yes it’s still a small sample size but I have some experience) it’s incredibly common but I have yet to see a - single - instance where it was actually beneficial. The quality is just poor.

The added bureaucracy just due to the fact they’re not actual employees slows everything down, the contractors aren’t really that engaged beyond just meeting their SLA. True, everyone needs to hit their numbers but there’s more to just doing the basics but actually learn the environment and automating systems do there are less tickets in the first place.

Knowledge transfers are awful for everyone including the business and to this day all the fancy teleconferencing in the world hasn’t replaced basic physical face-to-face communication. This isn’t a criticism of the person however at least in the United States you’ve got to be able to speak English and speak it well. If you can’t communicate it doesn’t matter how smart you are at all.

Personally, all I see outsourcing for IT at the least is overwhelmingly just a way for unimaginative leaders to shave of a few points that don’t understand technology not actual business value.

But I guess making shareholders happy is the cool thing to do so...

I lived through the early 2000's outsourcing rage and that sucked balls. Now it seems they're making it more purpose-built instead of just for saving a few cents. Like my last job used India for overnight QA testing and my current gig just puts only certain departments over there along with the overnight shifts. It makes it more economical to run a 24/7 operation. Most of our call centers are based out of the U.S.

One thing my manager noted is that conference calls with India can be really weird. Like they'll be talking to a conference room full of people asking questions and no one answers. They finally figured out there's a declination for people to just speak up in a group setting because of residual caste norms. I have no idea if that's true or not, though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Aunt Beth posted:

When IBM bought SoftLayer the joke was that they only bought the servers and none of the automation or stack, so in typical thrifty IBM fashion every time you faxed in a request to spin up a new instance it just sent a message to a room full of people India who immediately began frantically clicking around in a VMWare console.

Ftfy

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
First thing I did this Monday morning was send out an email formalizing our change request process for our ERP.

Can't wait for people to get mad about this one :allears:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Kashuno posted:

First thing I did this Monday morning was send out an email formalizing our change request process for our ERP.

Can't wait for people to get mad about this one :allears:

"Why does IT have to make things so difficult! THIS IS AFFECTING OUR ABILITY TO REACT!!!!"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Krispy Wafer posted:

One thing my manager noted is that conference calls with India can be really weird. Like they'll be talking to a conference room full of people asking questions and no one answers. They finally figured out there's a declination for people to just speak up in a group setting because of residual caste norms. I have no idea if that's true or not, though.
In remote meetings in general, you tend to need to call on people directly, because nobody can perceive each other's body language well even with high-resolution video.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

In remote meetings in general, you tend to need to call on people directly, because nobody can perceive each other's body language well even with high-resolution video.

True, but Indians in general don’t speak up easily due to cultural differences. I worked with an (amazing, friendly and intelligent) Indian who lived abroad for a bit short of a decade. He got accustomed to people expecting him to speak up and that he was allowed to say “no”, but it took him several years to really become comfortable doing that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Krispy Wafer posted:

There were probably some cultural/language barriers at play. When I worked with our Latin American branch, we altered our training strategy slightly to work around a reluctance to clarify or ask questions.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
The US team were working on a few things with regards to cleaning up their servers I had already scripted some of the tasks they were planning to do so I shared my scripts with them and told them via slack were it could be found, and if they had any questions they can contact me.

My boss deleted my slack message before the US woke up and told me "we only help them when they ask for it"

???????

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Your boss sounds like a class act.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Changed my schedule to 7 - 3:30 and I already feel better about work. I get in, phones don't even turn on until 8, and I can actually get some work done and prepped for the day. My commute isn't bad at that time either.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
That's a good time.
Feels good to leave the office in the mid afternoon

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Sure, there's always an inclination to let someone else answer the question but usually there are just enough people who enjoy hearing themselves speak to overcome those dead silences.

There are definitely cultural differences. I think Westerners are more receptive to customers, since we've been living in this 'customer is always right' hellscape for decades now. Back when I worked in Portal Services at AT&T I had the odd experience of having all of my bosses and my bosses' bosses be Indian and they cared even less for the user experience than AT&T normally does. One time we started getting alerts about customer anti-virus software alarms on our homepage and it took weeks for me to get anyone to look at it and when a developer finally acknowledged there was a virus in the advertising feed, he passed if off as a not dangerous virus so we didn't need to do anything. And so we didn't. We just let users be exposed to a virus that this one developer said was harmless. :shrug:

That was a miserable job. I'd be getting close to 'decent pension' time had I stayed and I don't regret leaving at all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

For as big as they are, AT&T certainly has the worst service. We had a revolving door of business class reps at my last job. Of course I burned them for $50 prime rib every time they took us out to "touch base".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Really big companies provide lovely service, really small companies provide lovely service. When you finally find a good mid-size company with good service they will get bought up by a big company.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So Microsoft owns github now
https://news.microsoft.com/2018/06/04/microsoft-to-acquire-github-for-7-5-billion/

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Countdown to GitHub being a component of Officet 365 Business Premium and above

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The hyperbole over this is hilarious

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a lot of money

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has Microsoft bought anything that didn't whither and die within two years?

LinkedIn doesn't count because it hasn't been two years yet. But Nokia is definitely included in that list.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Wafer posted:

LinkedIn doesn't count because it hasn't been two years yet. But Nokia is definitely included in that list.

Hotmail? Flight Simulator? Bungie? Or are you talking this century?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bob Morales posted:

Flight Simulator?

:qq: :qq: :qq:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Buying Nokia was a terrible decision.

If we’re looking at the history as a whole Microsoft bought out Dynamics and Forethought which became PowerPoint.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Flight Simulator is probably not a good example of Microsoft's stable stewardship, but I will acknowledge Microsoft has had success with gaming.

Maybe it's just this last decade, but it seems like MS see's 'good thing', buys it, and then proceeds to strip everything good from it without any real net benefit to consumers. I'm still real sore about their buying and shutting down good apps and Nokia in general.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Skype and Yammer? They are just using the tech to build MS Teams now so they can have a late to the game half-assed Slack/Hipchat clone.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The only thing I hope Microsoft brings back is Ballmer going crazy on stage.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Minecraft?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

JHVH-1 posted:

Skype and Yammer? They are just using the tech to build MS Teams now so they can have a late to the game half-assed Slack/Hipchat clone.

Skype was never good. Now it just comes pre-installed and force installed at random.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

Assume I have nothing but the hard drives.

FWIW, I would be taking them home and not using them in a professional setting.

These drives are slated for desctruction but there is nothing wrong with them apart from being 500gb platter drives.

fe: also, these drives have never been inside of a production machine, my predecessor ordered a bunch of computers and ssd's separately and did the upgrades by hand. They've been sitting on a shelf since then.

A little late to the party but have a look at the NetStor-48

48 hard disks in 5u

https://youtu.be/n6N-IVW_TH4

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Every midlevel Technology position and up were notified today that their foodsby meals are free from now on for up to 12 bucks from now on. Of course someone had to ask if this counted on the weekend because yes, please ask for more.

Still no free beer at work yet.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sickening posted:

Every midlevel Technology position and up were notified today that their foodsby meals are free from now on for up to 12 bucks from now on. Of course someone had to ask if this counted on the weekend because yes, please ask for more.

Still no free beer at work yet.

Theres always that one guy. Cisco used to take us to lunch for free every day. One guy complained that too many people would get invited and it didn't feel like a boys club anymore. So our boss cancelled free lunches

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Teams is good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sepist posted:

Theres always that one guy. Cisco used to take us to lunch for free every day. One guy complained that too many people would get invited and it didn't feel like a boys club anymore. So our boss cancelled free lunches

I'd have thrown that guy off the roof.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Teams is good.

Doesn't that still have the "view new message" button? If so, its indeed NOT good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

WTF? I worked in a lab environment where vendors were always taking us out to fancy lunches and Cisco would only spring for a free meal in the cafeteria. They were the cheapest people out there. I never got a single piece of swag.

I'd get a $50 meal out of some second tier load balancer company and maybe $10 from the Cisco rep.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Visio, Hockey, Winternals, Acompli are all trucking along doing their thing. Bungie did well under MS and then made it out the other side.

H110Hawk posted:

Skype was never good. Now it just comes pre-installed and force installed at random.
No messaging product has ever had Skype's caliber of emoticon game, and probably none ever will again

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Krispy Wafer posted:

WTF? I worked in a lab environment where vendors were always taking us out to fancy lunches and Cisco would only spring for a free meal in the cafeteria. They were the cheapest people out there. I never got a single piece of swag.

I'd get a $50 meal out of some second tier load balancer company and maybe $10 from the Cisco rep.

We were giving them 250 million a year in hardware as a company and our group gave them 4 million a year to have 3 multi-CCIE holders onsite all year so they kind of owed us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sepist posted:

Aside from throwing that guy off the roof, i'd also maybe have a quick chat with the boss about how maybe its not a great idea to gently caress with team morale over one rear end in a top hat.

Then again i've always been bluntly honest with my bosses since my first one screwed me.