Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Trabisnikof posted:

whats next, chapo hanging out with some dude who is on Fox News late nite???

Next week's Chapo Trap House "Man on the Street" segment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Why didn’t they do another heart-crushing article about how we live in hellworld? I want my fivebux back.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

is jon bois microphone shy or what? I know he is pals with Felix and would've been a more interesting guest

Considering he hosts like three different video series I doubt it, but his sense of humor would be a really weird fit for them. If I had to pick a sports writer who is extremely online and has at least slightly similar politics I would go with his colleague Spencer Hall. Or someone from Deadspin since Felix occasionally writes there.

JohnnyC posted:

Besides, other actually semi-/quasi-controversial guests, like Angela Nagle, have at least had a book or some ideas or something. PFT got audibly pissy about the idea that the NFL's shitshow management has led to poor ratings because his ESPN deal got spiked after network bean counters ran a cost-benefit analysis on the 88,000 viewers he brought in vs. having to deal with the poo poo Barstool tends to stir up. That's all pretty lame to have to hear in order to get to some middling jokes about sports team owners that anyone with a passing familiarity with those guys could make.
I’m not seeing the connection here. He said that the NFL’s ratings got worse because all TV ratings got worse, which is absolutely true. They are mismanaged but they still soar above every other sport in terms of viewers.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Yeah it's just a crummy website, although Reason isn't quite right - it's more for like, 18-35 year old dudes who leave comments about how people are too PC now on newspapers' Facebook pages or something. There's no manager to call and complain or whatever here, I'm just disappointed as a subscriber and listener in the choice of guest, who I didn't think really brought anything unique or interesting to the episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought he was a good guest but Barstool is the official sports site of college date rapists

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
JohnnyC you're spilling a lot of words about Barstool and PFTC and missing the mark every single time.

Barstool is the haven of lovely, misogynistic, hyper dudebro sports culture. PFTC started elsewhere mocking those guys and ended up at Barstool after trying Kissing Suzy Kolber (a comedy sports site that folded) and SBNation (who is notoriously lovely to labor). He's now not only parodying the Barstool fanbase, but he's their biggest monwymaker. The common metaphor is Stephen Colbert being the biggest Fox News show. I'm not happy he's giving Dave Portnoy money but dude's gotta make a living somehow.

It's fillin a lot of diaps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I feel like PFT was more accurately parodying a certain type of middle aged sports fan who peaked in high school is obsessed with how the game used to be

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m not seeing the connection here. He said that the NFL’s ratings got worse because all TV ratings got worse, which is absolutely true. They are mismanaged but they still soar above every other sport in terms of viewers.

There's no question the NFL is huge, and there's no question that TV numbers as a whole are down substantially from where they used to be, but that creates different market share and a different context for ratings, not a blanket reason for viewership numbers to slide, and PFT Commenter's line on this episode is that mismanagement has nothing to do with it because cord-cutting is the main factor for its ratings decline. MLB ratings are down, too, but the league isn't blaming declining cable subscriptions - it's spent a few years introducing and striking various rules in an effort to speed up play, which several people inside and outside the league have identified as a major factor. Meanwhile NHL ratings are up - last year's Stanley Cup finals were the most-watched in 20 years - but it'd be hard to argue that that's because the NHL, one of the last white sports in America, is a woke league or something.

Funnily enough, that's kind of an indication of what made PFT Commenter such a mediocre guest; I'm not really smart enough to put this properly, but what he was kind of hinting at when he was talking about the NFL's ratings as they relate to the anthem protests is that people are projecting their own values onto the genuinely complex reasons for ratings to rise and dip when the reality is that a corporate and cultural behemoth like the NFL is subject to a lot of factors that would cause viewership numbers to change. A decline in NFL ratings isn't a political win or an indication that protest works or some kind of political karma coming back to the NFL, necessarily, and roster changes or whatever in the context of an organization that exists to make Dan Snyder and Christopher and Woody Johnson rich don't ultimately signify a lot in the long run. There are also probably valid questions to ask about the utility of spending energy on the left organizing to try and influence the NFL in its hiring practices in the first place.

The problem is PFT Commenter's pretty blanket dismissal of the ratings question, which I suspect is motivated because it again means not having to really talk about audiences or corporate decision-making in an era where people are buying the argument that culture is apolitical less and less, didn't really touch on this topic, or any other interesting topic that someone who knows more about both sports and politics than I do would be able to kind of pivot the conversation toward. He wound up spending more time on the Mike Francesca Horse Whisperer story.

That all kind of leaked into their conversation about sports media vs. political media, too. It basically turned into a sports roundtable but about sports journalists, instead of any kind of substantial conversation, presumably because any real hefty conversation about the things the gang discusses relative to political media on a regular basis would involve some sort of reckoning with the people underwriting Pardon My Take. The result was an underwhelming episode, and I can't help but feel the baggage the guest brought to the episode contributed substantially to that. I legally can't post about it anymore though because I've written too many words now

(I really should have posted last week when Felix did that interview with @intifadarling. It whips rear end that the guy who had the most problematic vocabulary for so long regularly has the best and most insightful interviews and genuinely seems to have the best politics out of all the hosts)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Like 50% of this show is a round table of dunking on various pundits that most of the audience hasn’t heard of. This is just a sports version of like, the episode about reactionary cartoonists. It’s not one of the best episodes but it was a topical change of pace.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Barstool sucks dick and I hope Portnoy chokes on his pizza but I'm not gonna hold PFTC in too bad of light for the connection. Dude's entire brand is just kinda saying 'you people are idiots' and getting paid to do it, I respect that.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008

Spoeank posted:

He's now not only parodying the Barstool fanbase, but he's their biggest monwymaker.

Right, that's come up, and it's not exactly airtight. I can respect that not everybody's gonna click a link:

quote:

These knowing profiles have another commonality too, which that is that they all fail to understand PFT Commenter’s actual value—the very essence of why he matters so much to Barstool Sports—and thus their own subject. First, PFT Commenter offers a line of defense against detractors, an easy figure to point to while saying, “Barstool can’t be that bad. They have PFT Commenter, and everyone loves him!” (This defense appears to be working, thanks in part to profiles like the Post’s, which barely grazes over what Barstool is all about as it trips over itself to rewrite the company’s PR materials.)

Perhaps more importantly, though, the real value of PFT Commenter’s shtick imitating a dog-whistling, sexist, message-board idiot is tricking people—or at least certain people, whose opinions matter very much—into thinking that Barstool Sports is not in fact dominated by racist, neanderthal bullies who harass women online, videotape each other in the shower, and call underage girls hot, repeatedly, but is in fact some high-concept gag. This isn’t the thing itself, PFT Commenter’s presence proclaims, in the face of a mountain of evidence that it is. But we’re all in on the joke.

Also, speaking of missing the mark - Colbert wasn't a Fox News personality. He was a Comedy Central personality. (Viacom, if you want to get technical.) If Colbert, during the height of his show, had hitched wagon for his whole show over to Fox News, it would have been silly to start treating it as sufficient evidence of Fox News being self-aware enough to treat differently. It also would have - correctly! - reflected badly on Colbert.

JohnnyC fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 5, 2018

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Christ in heaven, who cares

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

JohnnyC posted:

Right, that's come up, and it's not exactly airtight. I can respect that not everybody's gonna click a link:

Also, speaking of missing the mark - Colbert wasn't a Fox News personality. He was a Comedy Central personality. (Viacom, if you want to get technical.) If Colbert, during the height of his show, had hitched wagon for his whole show over to Fox News, it would have been silly to start treating it as sufficient evidence of Fox News being self-aware enough to treat differently. It also would have - correctly! - reflected badly on Colbert.

PFTCommenter has been doing the same shtick at various outlets for like a half decade. If you don't want him to be at Barstool, then go back in time and tell Vox to not be a festering pile of assholes to their workers and prop up KSK so it doesn't collapse. Nothing about his hook has changed in the last half-decade, so throwing him into the pit because of who currently signs his paychecks is, frankly, moronic.

Also, pace of play rules in MLB haven't done anything; MLB had its longest average 9 inning game time ever last season and the games are taking significantly longer than they did a decade ago. MLB is thriving monetarily because it depends on fixed-amount local market contracts that were mostly struck before people started cord cutting. It also built a profitable streaming service and media empire (MLBAM & BAMTech) and has the best streaming service out of the major sports, so it embraced cord cutters while the NFL is fighting them tooth and nail. NFL ratings dips have everything to do with the changing landscape of sports consumption.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Spoeank posted:

JohnnyC you're spilling a lot of words about Barstool and PFTC and missing the mark every single time.

Barstool is the haven of lovely, misogynistic, hyper dudebro sports culture. PFTC started elsewhere mocking those guys and ended up at Barstool after trying Kissing Suzy Kolber (a comedy sports site that folded) and SBNation (who is notoriously lovely to labor). He's now not only parodying the Barstool fanbase, but he's their biggest monwymaker. The common metaphor is Stephen Colbert being the biggest Fox News show. I'm not happy he's giving Dave Portnoy money but dude's gotta make a living somehow.

It's fillin a lot of diaps.

I remember liking "Kissing Suzy Kolber" a lot, but that's all I remember about it. :corsair:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JohnnyC posted:

Dude have you seen this?

https://deadspin.com/so-who-is-barstools-pft-commenter-1826203697

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Trabisnikof posted:

whats next, chapo hanging out with some dude who is on Fox News late nite???

Ben Kissel, go on Chapo.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Just finished listening to ev psych researcher Geoffrey Miller on Sam Harris' podcast. I have to say I'm looking forward to his inevitable takedown from the left of this fountain of :biotruths:.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

CountFosco posted:

Just finished listening to ev psych researcher Geoffrey Miller on Sam Harris' podcast. I have to say I'm looking forward to his inevitable takedown from the left of this fountain of :biotruths:.

nathan j robinson said he’s working on a long sam harris article in the vein of his shapiro/murray/peterson ones, looking forwars to that

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Fantastic.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
nathan j robinson also started a podcast recently so you should check that out because it's pretty good imo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

JohnnyC posted:

(I really should have posted last week when Felix did that interview with @intifadarling. It whips rear end that the guy who had the most problematic vocabulary for so long regularly has the best and most insightful interviews and genuinely seems to have the best politics out of all the hosts)

His lifting "AAVE to just be the personification of every woke twitterer who desperately wants to be accepted by BPT" is his signature bit tho

...but he is the quavo of the group tbh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's weird and amazing watching Felix pivot from "extremely online stuff that you have to be even have a clue" to being extremely well-informed about a sociopolitical sphere that equally labyrinthine but far more meaningful.

Okay this keeps bugging me: what's that "my whole crew eatin' dog" thing that Felix and Will did back and forth forever ago?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Okay this keeps bugging me: what's that "my whole crew eatin' dog" thing that Felix and Will did back and forth forever ago?

Was it in reference to Obama?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"White Obama, White Obama, my whole crew eatin' dog and llama..."

"My whole crew eatin' DOG!"

"Labrador!"

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Felix got the clip like Anne Landers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TetsuoTW posted:

what the gently caress is barstool sports

nerd.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Deadspin is poo poo and employed multiple lovely Media Men up until last year

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gawker is actually good

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

Deadspin is poo poo and employed multiple lovely Media Men up until last year

chapo had one of them on the show whats your point

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

oatgan posted:

chapo had one of them on the show whats your point

His entire shtick in the sports journalism thread is defending Barstool from Deadspin for some reason

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

gawker is actually good

the comments section is an untapped hive of hillary cultist nonsense

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

no poo poo

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's weird and amazing watching Felix pivot from "extremely online stuff that you have to be even have a clue" to being extremely well-informed about a sociopolitical sphere that equally labyrinthine but far more meaningful.

It’s really funny when people poo poo on any individual Chapo as if they don’t bring it in some way. Felix’s episodes on the Gulf nations crisis last year, along w the MMA ones are sooooo good. poo poo, I think I might listen to the Chechen one again when I get ready for work tomorrow.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine believing the NFL to be "meaningful"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"Windows 1895" :newlol:

(I don't know why I missed this episode until now.)

edit: Holy poo poo, 59% of poll respondents said that "common sense" is more important than science when making decisions. :staredog:

"Cape Verd" :newlol:

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 6, 2018

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

JohnnyC posted:

Anyway I'm not saying they're cancelled or whatever! I'm saying this guest was a questionable choice and the episode didn't really justify it, making it a bad choice!

PFT commentator was pleasant, funny, and gelled with the Chapo boys. Never heard of him before this, but he was clearly a non-questionable & good choice for a guest

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ohhh bad choice boys

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Crisp enunciation by PFT. no complaints whatsoever. keep it up with the good guest picks, boys

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I found his dipthongs objectionable
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Wow, very disappointed they invited a former guest of The DigCast