Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Batista bombing arsehole kittens is justified Y/N______?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hail Catan

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Synthbuttrange posted:

They've got the brain the size of a walnut! Plan accordingly!

Pretty good thread title, imo.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

We have a screened in porch that we let the cats out onto but it doesn't have a cat door so we have to keep the people door propped open if we want to allow the cats free access to it and last night I shut the door and our two prisoners were mewing piteously at the door for like an hour wanting back out but we ignored them and today I opened the door back up to discover that yesterday they had brought all their toys out onto the porch and I had closed the door on them overnight. They've never done that before. We've done the door-open thing for these idiots forever and this is the first time they've pulled something wacky like that. Brain the size of a walnut indeed.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Infinitum posted:

Batista bombing arsehole kittens is justified Y/N______?

Always annoy the kitty.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

Okay, fellow cat-havers. My girlfriend and I are on the verge of adopting a second cat. Some friends have an extremely friendly and sweet stray who is currently living on their porch and they can't take him in because one of them is "will need an EpiPen" levels of allergic to cat dander. They've taken him to the vet for a check-up and he's a little under a year old, just got shots, was treated for fleas and worms, all of that.

Following up on this--we're going for it! My friends are taking care of his initial medical stuff (getting his shots, getting him neutered, etc.) and then they're going to bring him here to we can adopt him.

He apparently got hit with something on the right side of his head and had an eye injury (hence the half-closed eye) but it's healing well. He's apparently at the vet as I post this and my friends sent me this picture of him just chilling:

Expect more pictures of an adorable gray cat within a couple weeks. And maybe nervous questions about making sure he and our current cat get along well. :ohdear: Jasmine, the current cat, is extremely sweet and outgoing and I'd hate for anything to change with her, but given that both cats seem to be laid-back and almost aggressively friendly, I'm hoping this'll go fairly smoothly as long as we take it slow with introducing them.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 5, 2018

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Congratulations on your new super handsome cat!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Another update: it looks like we're going to take care of getting him neutered (though my friends are paying for it), just because they really want to get him homed ASAP for allergy reasons.

Anyone have advice for when I should get him neutered? I have a vet appointment for a wellness exam scheduled for the day after we get him, but I'm not sure if I should let him get settled in for a bit before taking him in for surgery, or if sometime in the first week is fine. Our other cat is female but she's spayed, so I'm not worried about kittens so much as spraying.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It depends on how old he is. I would get advice from your vet. Asap is probably fine, but there are some hormones that affect development that get cut out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

It depends on how old he is. I would get advice from your vet. Asap is probably fine, but there are some hormones that affect development that get cut out.

He's about a year old, going by the other vet's estimation. I'll definitely ask the vet on Monday.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A year-old cat should be fine to neuter, as long as he's healthy otherwise. Check with your vet, but I'd say do it ASAP.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oh yah definitely chop that poo poo off.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cool. I was mostly concerned about upsetting him as he settles in to a new environment but if that's not a concern then I'll just go for it ASAP.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah the main barrier to spaying and neutering is kitty weight which is why you can't do it before a certain age, but he's well past that.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza Brother is apparently allergic to like 90% of food, can't wait to pay $10/lb for food forever. Oh well, at least it's an allergy and not some horrible mystery infection.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

My kitten has the shortest term memory ever. I put her in front of her food and she eats two bites and walks away. An hour later she's pawing and mewing at me for food like the full bowl isn't sitting right there. I plop her in front of the bowl again and she scarfs the rest of it down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IronDoge posted:

My kitten has the shortest term memory ever. I put her in front of her food and she eats two bites and walks away. An hour later she's pawing and mewing at me for food like the full bowl isn't sitting right there. I plop her in front of the bowl again and she scarfs the rest of it down.

Would you bother to walk ten feet if meowing got someone to carry you there? Really you're just the most efficient food delivery device

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

IronDoge posted:

Ours does literally the same thing. He's very stupid. Adorable, but stupid.

We've also had a problem with him going to the bathroom outside the litter box. 90% of the time he uses the litter box just fine. But about once a day he will go elsewhere. It's usually on some rumpled fabric (blanket, sofa cushion, etc) elsewhere in the apartment. Yesterday I caught him in time, tossed him into the nearest litter box, and he happily went there instead.

We have cat attract litter in the boxes, and he usually uses them just fine. Each time he doesn't, we clean thoroughly with an enzyme cleaner. I'm not sure if he's just so young that he still gets confused (only 9 weeks), or if there's something bigger to fix here.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

IronDoge posted:

This is definitely a kitten thing. I adopted Noot last Friday and she came down with cat flu shortly afterwards and wouldn't eat because she'd lost her sense of taste and smell. On vet's advice, I kept her going through the weekend, hit the vet up on Monday and by midday Tuesday she was fine. It was such a dramatic change, she regained her personality. She was amazed that food is tasty. :v: But she can't remember that she has eaten already and mews at me. So plop them in front of the bowl regularly, eventually it will sink in. Before you know it, they'll be looking you in the eye for 2 hours before mealtimes demanding FOOD NAO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The new cat is home! I think we're calling him Frederick.

He has a nasty respiratory infection and is mostly just lying around, but I already had a vet appointment set for him tomorrow. He got an antibiotic shot last week apparently so maybe it just hasn't finished clearing up his infection. He also has a lot of dandruff, poor little guy.

He is, however, amazingly sweet. He started cuddling up to me and my girlfriend instantly. Meanwhile, my current cat has hissed through the door at him a couple times but is otherwise pretty relaxed and acting normal. The new cat seems to really want to meet her--he's probably young enough that another cat doesn't seem as threatening, especially since he can probably tell he's in her territory. They briefly saw each other and he just kinda chirped at her and looked very relaxed about the whole thing.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Has anyone tried growing catnip? We have an all-purpose handyman that helps out with tasks neither my dad (79) nor I can do and he keeps an eye on my dad when I'm out (my dad prefers this to a nurse because it doesn't, well, make him feel old) and he planted catnip in the herb garden last year and it grew back with a vengeance this year. I'd like to try drying some to give to my kitties (I have a feeling I'm going to end up with more than they need) but I don't know anything about that sort of thing. I confess I don't even know if this is the right thread. I use all my herbs fresh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Lobster posted:

Has anyone tried growing catnip? We have an all-purpose handyman that helps out with tasks neither my dad (79) nor I can do and he keeps an eye on my dad when I'm out (my dad prefers this to a nurse because it doesn't, well, make him feel old) and he planted catnip in the herb garden last year and it grew back with a vengeance this year. I'd like to try drying some to give to my kitties (I have a feeling I'm going to end up with more than they need) but I don't know anything about that sort of thing. I confess I don't even know if this is the right thread. I use all my herbs fresh.

Ask forum goon dee eight, who ran a Montana catdrug cartel for quite awhile.

I grew some catnip once, and then was never able to stop growing it afterward. Stuff spreads like fire. The cats didn't seem to mind whether it was dried or not - they were fine with it still being planted, even.

I would try growing it again except keeping it restricted to a planter instead of loose in my garden.

listrada
Jan 2, 2017

The Lobster posted:

I usually dry it, but one thing I've been doing lately is to cut a bunch of leaves and freeze them in a zip lock baggie. My one monster likes the thawed leaves even better than dried, and it's less mess for me :)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Catnip is part of the mint family, so it will take over whatever place you plant it in. You can give it to them fresh because I know nothing about drying it out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have a planter on my balcony full of little catnip sprouts. Supposedly it also keep bugs away

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I have a bunch of catnip that the neighborhood cats love to roll all over and kill, but it usually comes back. It seeds itself freely so I usually find little catnips where I don't want them and move them back to where I do want them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The room where I'm keeping New Catte smells pretty musky and I can't tell if he's sprayed or not. He did use the litter box (I was worried--apparently my friends had only just introduced him to a litter box a couple days ago) but I can't tell if he's just expressing his glands because he's a little worked up, or if he sprayed somewhere. Unfortunately I have to keep him in the bathroom for now--our side room has barn doors and Jasmine could see him and stood there hissing at him--and there isn't great ventilation out of there.

Any suggestions or things to look out for? He's going to the vet today for a pre-neuter checkup so I'll ask her, too.

Also here are some pictures of Very Chill New Catte. He is very, very, very sweet and purrs at the drop of a hat, but also rather ill, poor little guy. I can't tell if he's just really docile or if his respiratory infection has him too lethargic to do much but purr and nuzzle. While Jasmine was hissing at him through the gap in the door, he just stood there chirping curiously at her with his tail slowly swaying back and forth, so I think he already wants to be friends. The current cat's the one who needs to be won over.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My boss is being a giant dickhead about his cat of 7 years or so. Over the winter he hooked up with his ex wife, and about a month ago she moved in (lol) but she also brought an elderly cat and a 4-6 year old golden retriever. The elderly cat is old and has litter box problems so its been punted to being an outdoor cat until it dies. In the last week, his current cat has been eating very little and losing a lot of weight. I've tried to convince him to take it to the vet but he always counters with "oh it will cost a lot of money" which I know shouldn't matter since he has plenty of cash, he just doesn't want to admit he doesn't care if the cat dies. Today I made a bit of progress and the response changed to "well she's too weak and won't survive the trip to the vet because every animal I've taken in has gotten sick". I'll keep working on it today and maybe volunteer to front the cash for the physical exam just to see WTF is wrong. I do know if I manage to get it in and the vet finds nothing I'll never hear the end of it.

We have a great SPCA and I even suggested he just surrender the cat if he doesn't want to take care of it anymore, but that was a no-go because he thinks it'll snap out of its funk and its just hunger striking because the dog annoyed it.

Just venting today since there's not a whole lot I can do.

Idiot tax

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Boogalo posted:

My boss is being a giant dickhead about his cat of 7 years or so. Over the winter he hooked up with his ex wife, and about a month ago she moved in (lol) but she also brought an elderly cat and a 4-6 year old golden retriever. The elderly cat is old and has litter box problems so its been punted to being an outdoor cat until it dies. In the last week, his current cat has been eating very little and losing a lot of weight. I've tried to convince him to take it to the vet but he always counters with "oh it will cost a lot of money" which I know shouldn't matter since he has plenty of cash, he just doesn't want to admit he doesn't care if the cat dies. Today I made a bit of progress and the response changed to "well she's too weak and won't survive the trip to the vet because every animal I've taken in has gotten sick". I'll keep working on it today and maybe volunteer to front the cash for the physical exam just to see WTF is wrong. I do know if I manage to get it in and the vet finds nothing I'll never hear the end of it.

We have a great SPCA and I even suggested he just surrender the cat if he doesn't want to take care of it anymore, but that was a no-go because he thinks it'll snap out of its funk and its just hunger striking because the dog annoyed it.

Just venting today since there's not a whole lot I can do.

Idiot tax

Abduct catte, give catte good retirement.

Also if you want to knife your boss in the loving kidneys I'll give you an alibi because gently caress that gently caress in the kidneys, with a knife.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ms Adequate posted:

Abduct catte, give catte good retirement.

Also if you want to knife your boss in the loving kidneys I'll give you an alibi because gently caress that gently caress in the kidneys, with a knife.

It looks like conscience eventually prevailed and he took her in today. She had a massive inoperable tumor and is no longer in pain. RIP bosscat, she was a pro cat who would walk up and rub her face all over your leg but when you reached down to pet she'd bite ya. She let me pet her belly though :kimchi:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

IronDoge posted:

Don't underestimate a cats memory versus yours. My cats were begging for their wet food dinner and I looked at the time and I was like 'oh did I forget? Time must have gotten away from me.' I washed out their dishes and gave each of them their normal half a can of cat-slop. I go to throw away the empty can and there on top of the trash is the can they got for dinner an hour or so earlier.

I called em out for being little cat liars.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any tips for teaching a year-old male cat to cover his urine when he uses the litter box?

It's not like he doesn't know to cover his waste. He buries his poop so aggressively that he kicks litter everywhere (it's kind of adorable), but he leaves his urine right on top to stink the place up. I'm sure it's an effort to mark at least a little territory but I'd like to teach him to bury it if possible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I posted a few pages back about worrying my old cat was dying because he wasn't eating and had diarrhea. Well, good news on that front, I got him to the vet and he got prescribed a probiotic and is back to eating plentifully and has started to pass solid stool again. The blood work came back negative for thyroid problems so that's good as well. The only question now is if he can gain back the weight he lost.

The bad news is as a result of this my mom and I decided he should move back in with her because his vet is local to her and 2 hours away from me. So it's time for me to get new cat(s).

I haven't had a kitten in over a decade and never actually took care of one for myself. I initially wanted to try to get a maine coone or a ragdoll but then said gently caress that when I found out how expensive those cats can be. Jesus. Generally getting two cats is the preferred option so they can keep each other company, right? Is there any way to select for personality (I would really like to have a cat that has a very social personality, puppy like and whatnot)? Besides that, is there a guide somewhere online for things to do for new kittens? I hear microchipping is a thing now.

I still live in the city so I plan to keep them indoors except for my small backyard. Any advice is appreciated.

enjoy being magnetically glued to my mom's lap Wally

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ask at the shelter for bonded pairs or at least pairs that get along well. If you get them from a shelter they'll generally be microchipped!

Kittens are stinkin cute but oh god are you really up for the two years of bitey poopy shitheads?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ask at the shelter for bonded pairs or at least pairs that get along well. If you get them from a shelter they'll generally be microchipped!

Kittens are stinkin cute but oh god are you really up for the two years of bitey poopy shitheads?

well, animals are piss and poo poo machines so that won't be much different. I'm not necessarily opposed to getting adult cats but it seems like having a bonded pair would be more difficult that way to me.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A big flaming stink posted:

well, animals are piss and poo poo machines so that won't be much different. I'm not necessarily opposed to getting adult cats but it seems like having a bonded pair would be more difficult that way to me.

You might be surprised. At any given time, our shelter has 2-3 bonded pairs that are 2-3 years old. Sometimes a mom and child, and they are way harder to adopt out than singles and might have specials on fees.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Harrow posted:

Any tips for teaching a year-old male cat to cover his urine when he uses the litter box?

It's not like he doesn't know to cover his waste. He buries his poop so aggressively that he kicks litter everywhere (it's kind of adorable), but he leaves his urine right on top to stink the place up. I'm sure it's an effort to mark at least a little territory but I'd like to teach him to bury it if possible.

Pee on top of it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

owls or something posted:

Pee on top of it?

Power move. I respect it.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Any tips to stop a cat jumping at clothes in a built-in wardrobe?

We'd taken the doors off (because Olive loves to paw at them at 4am and it wakes us up) but turns out a whole bunch of the missus' others have got pulls in them from where Olive has managed to latch on

I've got a small water pistol next to my side of the bed that I'd spray her (Olive, not the missus) with. She'd run off but then come back a minute later and do it all again

We've put the doors back on, so I guess it's not just a matter of deterring Olive from pawing at the wardrobe doors

So yeah, any tips?

And here's a picture of the offender:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

A big flaming stink posted:

Our shelter frequently has adult bonded pairs from homes where, for instance, the previous owner died.

X13Fen posted:

And here's a picture of the offender:

Who, me?