Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Sylvester Stallone directed it, which is pretty WTF in its own right.

Stallone seems to have initially wanted to become like a writer/director who sometimes acts like a John Cassavetes or something. But then he became a huge action star, started getting into roids, and well, the rest is history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found super weird about that movie was how it takes about 30 minutes to actually start the story. For some reason the movie opens with a long scene of a character basically going through the entire "babysitter and stranger in the houes" scenario.

It's pretty evident that When a Stranger Calls was made in the first place because someone felt that the "The call is coming from inside the house!" urban legend was just too good to not be committed to film and the rest of the movie was perfunctory.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Too bad Black Christmas not only beat them by five years but also did it better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Stallone seems to have initially wanted to become like a writer/director who sometimes acts like a John Cassavetes or something. But then he became a huge action star, started getting into roids, and well, the rest is history.

I wonder how his career might have gone differently if he'd won those Oscars for Rocky.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how his career might have gone differently if he'd won those Oscars for Rocky.

At the time (possibly still?) only two other men were nominated for Best Actor and Best Screenplay in the same year - Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The end of Sleepaway Camp. It's a pretty standard low budget slasher until the very end where it's batshit crazy. It's a WTF moment that elevates the whole movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blast Fantasto posted:

At the time (possibly still?) only two other men were nominated for Best Actor and Best Screenplay in the same year - Orson Welles and Charlie Chaplin.

I know Warren Beatty was nominated for Best Actor, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Picture all in the same year, twice (for Heaven Can Wait in 1978 and Reds in 1981 - he won Best Director for Reds).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking of Stallone, that scene in Cobra where he takes a slice of pizza and cuts it in half with a pair of scissors.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Drunkboxer posted:

Speaking of Stallone, that scene in Cobra where he takes a slice of pizza and cuts it in half with a pair of scissors.

I think that he actually uses tin snips, which is even weirder. In fact, there are a LOT of weird things about Cobra.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Hereditary is way hosed up.

From the time Peter leaves the party with Charlie. The horror of choking and watching your sister that you can't help, then pinging her noggin off the telephone pole. Then he just goes inside making his already disturbed mother find a headless kid in her car.

Oh also the hard cut to the detached head of a child covered in ants is very jarring.

There is more weirdness in that movie but that bit I just described was pretty horrific

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I never made the connection between Charlie’s head covered in ants and Peter in the dream covered in ants

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DarkSol posted:

I think that he actually uses tin snips, which is even weirder. In fact, there are a LOT of weird things about Cobra.

The Something Awful review was one of the first things I read on this site

https://www.somethingawful.com/movie-reviews/cobra/1/

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

In "Wild at heart", when Bobby Peru (Willem Dafoe) slips, falls on his shotgun and blows his head off. I watched the movie in a sneak preview, didn't know much about David Lynch at the time (so most of the movie was hosed up by itself in the first place), but that scene surely raised some eyebrows.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The recent Poltergeist flick has one of the more odd and conspicuous forms of product placement I've seen: when the father mentions he's been laid off from his job, he says explicitly that he was working for the John Deere company and there's a dialog exchange about how it's too bad because it's such a great company and they make excellent products you can depend on for years. It really sticks out because it almost comes off as exposition - most movies wouldn't even bother to go into detail about where the character works unless it was going to pay off or otherwise be significant in some way, but nope, it's really just there to talk about how Poltergeist was brought to you in part by John DeereTM: Nothing Runs Like a Deere.

I want to say there were multiple instances of this happening in the movie, which might not actually be true now that I think of it, but it definitely says something about how noticeable it was that it felt like it happened multiple times.

I understand they probably wanted to compensate for having their sponsor lay off one of their main characters and set the events of this horror flick into motion, but maybe they could've just had a shot of someone mowing their lawn with one of John Deere's fine products? Or hell, get creative with it and have them uproot that evil possessed tree with a John Deere tractor or something.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 16, 2018

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Poltergeist post reminded me of another thing. You Don't Mess With the Zohan is pretty much an entire WTF movie, but to zero in on one really kind of odd reoccurring aspect of the movie is the presence of Mariah Carey for no discernable reason.

Now I know the Random Celebrity Cameo has a long tradition in comedy movies, but it's not even just that she makes an appearance (or multiple appearances, really): Sandler sports a Mariah Carey t-shirt in a few scenes (and the movie's poster), multiple instances of Mariah Carey songs playing in the background (as far as I know, there was no commercially available soundtrack for the movie so I don't think they were peddling that), and though Zohan does tell Mariah "I love your album", there's no indication that he's even a big Mariah Carey fan or that his liking her music/act is supposed to inform his character at all.

It's when Mariah Carey randomly tells someone to "Buy my album!" that it dawned on me that Mariah Carey is in this movie as product placement. I don't know if Carey or her record label literally paid for her to appear there or not but it's evident that the reason there is so much arbitrary Mariah Carey stuff in the movie is that she had a new album out at the time and she wanted to plug it.

(It was E=MC2, by the way)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

lizardman posted:

The recent Poltergeist flick has one of the more odd and conspicuous forms of product placement I've seen: when the main character mentions he's been laid off from his job, he says explicitly that he was working for the John Deere company and there's a dialog exchange about how it's too bad because it's such a great company and they make excellent products you can depend on for years. It really sticks out because it almost comes off as exposition - most movies wouldn't even bother to go into detail about where the character works unless it was going to pay off or otherwise be significant in some way, but nope, it's really just there to talk about how Poltergeist was brought to you in part by John DeereTM: Nothing Runs Like a Deere.

I want to say there were multiple instances of this happening in the movie, which might not actually be true now that I think of it, but it definitely says something about how noticeable it was that it felt like it happened multiple times.

I understand they probably wanted to compensate for having their sponsor lay off their main character and set the events of this horror flick into motion, but maybe they could've just had a shot of someone mowing their lawn with one of John Deere's fine products? Or hell, get creative with it and have them uproot that evil possessed tree with a John Deere tractor or something.

I’m imagining a worst case scenario of the Evil Dear remake where the chainsaw remains inexplicably clean and the Stihl logo is faced out the entire time

I know it’s a Homelite, don’t @ me

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m imagining a worst case scenario of the Evil Dear remake where the chainsaw remains inexplicably clean and the Stihl logo is faced out the entire time

I know it’s a Homelite, don’t @ me

Evil Deere, maybe?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

DarkSol posted:

I'm partial to the moment when the Night Slasher grabs a nurse by the throat while he's still hiding underneath a bed. Dude's got a Stretch Armstrong thing going on.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

lizardman posted:

It really sticks out because it almost comes off as exposition - most movies wouldn't even bother to go into detail about where the character works unless it was going to pay off or otherwise be significant in some way, but nope, it's really just there to talk about how Poltergeist was brought to you in part by John DeereTM: Nothing Runs Like a Deere.

This scene from Hawaii Five-0 also exemplifies when the ads go too far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQYwFND7rHE

lizardman posted:

It's when Mariah Carey randomly tells someone to "Buy my album!" that it dawned on me that Mariah Carey is in this movie as product placement. I don't know if Carey or her record label literally paid for her to appear there or not but it's evident that the reason there is so much arbitrary Mariah Carey stuff in the movie is that she had a new album out at the time and she wanted to plug it.

Another Adam Sandler film that's full of ads is Jack and Jill.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Vakal posted:

The original Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorite zombie movie, but the entire sequence with the biker gang throwing pies into the zombie faces is so out of place and pretty much sucks all the tension out of the movie.

The guy in the sombrero who dies while desperately trying to check his blood pressure.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lizardman posted:

The Poltergeist post reminded me of another thing. You Don't Mess With the Zohan is pretty much an entire WTF movie, but to zero in on one really kind of odd reoccurring aspect of the movie is the presence of Mariah Carey for no discernable reason.

Now I know the Random Celebrity Cameo has a long tradition in comedy movies, but it's not even just that she makes an appearance (or multiple appearances, really): Sandler sports a Mariah Carey t-shirt in a few scenes (and the movie's poster), multiple instances of Mariah Carey songs playing in the background (as far as I know, there was no commercially available soundtrack for the movie so I don't think they were peddling that), and though Zohan does tell Mariah "I love your album", there's no indication that he's even a big Mariah Carey fan or that his liking her music/act is supposed to inform his character at all.

(It was E=MC2, by the way)

There is a woman at my work who became a die-hard mariah carey fan due to this film so sadly it worked perfectly on one person.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, from what I gather You Don't Mess With the Zohan basically undid Glitter and made her famous again. It may be stupid and anti-cinematic, but it apparently did exactly what it was meant to. :shrug:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Here Buñuel masterfully uses the cinematic form to subvert societal norms and bourgeois morality with the radical idea that much like human infants pigs infants are adorable.

Luis Buñuel as the precursor to Instagram. A 4 part video essay.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve been on a bit of an Argento kick lately and just watched Phenoma for the first time. The last 20 minutes are pretty wtf but the last 2 minutes are full on WTF. VENGEANCE APE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I still can’t believe that movie is real

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Society starts out like a regular horror movie and slowly becomes bugfuck crazy. The last act is nuts.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

There is a woman at my work who became a die-hard mariah carey fan due to this film so sadly it worked perfectly on one person.

Sadly? what tf you have against Mariah

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

To be fair, roids are pretty awesome, apparently.

Elderbean posted:

Society starts out like a regular horror movie and slowly becomes bugfuck crazy. The last act is nuts.

Society is loving amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a few things in the first sequel to In the Heat of the Night which stuck out to me a bit when I first watched it.

The first thing is how Sidney Poitier smacks his son in the face and the kid tearfully say something like, "Go on and hit me again, it couldn't hurt any worse than it already does!" so Sidney Poitier smacks him in the face again. Then later he catches his son smoking, takes him inside and says, "If you're gonna do it, do it right," and they share a joint. The second is much less off-putting.

But the overriding plot is that Tibbs is investigating this radical priest played by Martin Landau for murder, who's a kind of white left-wing preacher with a mostly black congregation trying to win votes for a local proposition (something to do with housing or public transport, though I don't recall which). And as I was watching it, I realised, "Hold on, is this guy meant to be Jim Jones?"

Because in 1971, Jim Jones was not quite as notorious as he later became and folks like Harvey Milk and Angela Davis were very outspoken public supporters of Jones and the People's Temple.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Spoiler warning: Escape Plan 2

Like almost half hour in they are explaining the zoo and the dude says if they kill someone the world knows they are dead but in the zoo they are just gone... it'd hafta be easier to like hide or destroy a body than create a hidden fight prison. probably wouldn't make profit off that but still.. The explaination is stupid.
Sidenote: Expendables 4

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 20, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hold on a second, there's an Escape Plan 2?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hold on a second, there's an Escape Plan 2?

DTV apparently. Stallone, but no Arnold, according to the case

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I’ve been on a bit of an Argento kick lately and just watched Phenoma for the first time. The last 20 minutes are pretty wtf but the last 2 minutes are full on WTF. VENGEANCE APE

I love that movie. Including how it was ripped off by the videogame Clock Tower.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Yeahhh and yet this is still my favorite scene hands down
https://youtu.be/CRAlDWW3048
just perfect delivery

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Snowman_McK posted:

To be fair, roids are pretty awesome, apparently.

Remember that steroids documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster* and how its closing argument was trying to equate people who take medication to help with anxiety or ADHD to athletes using performance-enhancing drugs? That was a pretty WTF moment in movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Erotic Wakes posted:

Remember that steroids documentary Bigger, Stronger, Faster* and how its closing argument was trying to equate people who take medication to help with anxiety or ADHD to athletes using performance-enhancing drugs? That was a pretty WTF moment in movies.

Only if you didn't watch the documentary and instead had it described to you by someone who also hadn't seen it

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

nesamdoom posted:

Spoiler warning: Escape Plan 2

Like almost half hour in they are explaining the zoo and the dude says if they kill someone the world knows they are dead but in the zoo they are just gone... it'd hafta be easier to like hide or destroy a body than create a hidden fight prison. probably wouldn't make profit off that but still.. The explaination is stupid.
Sidenote: Expendables 4

As a bad movie aficionado, it's not remotely worth watching. At all.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005
How did Bruce Wayne get back into Gotham City in The Dark Knight Rises?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Yad Rock posted:

He never left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yad Rock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYl2lpq1YI