Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Events shouldn’t be causing that much argument and disagreement because they are overall a very minor component of the game. They aren’t meant to be discussed so much or particularly analyzed it’s more for role play flavor with some very minor effects, good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kashuno posted:

Events shouldn’t be causing that much argument and disagreement because they are overall a very minor component of the game. They aren’t meant to be discussed so much or particularly analyzed it’s more for role play flavor with some very minor effects, good or bad

This. They're essentially negative scenario effects that can't be negated by perks and you have a chance of avoiding.

It's also not automatically "bad design" just because you don't like them.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
It's bad design, and also I don't like em.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Elephant Ambush posted:

This. They're essentially negative scenario effects that can't be negated by perks and you have a chance of avoiding.

Road events could be replaced with a d10 roll and it would be exactly the same.

1) Gain 1 reputation
2) Gain 5 gold each
3) Nothing
4) Lose 5 gold each
5) Lose a check mark
6) Start the scenario with 2 points of damage
7) Start the scenario with a curse card
8) Start the scenario poisoned
9) Start the scenario wounded
10) Put a card in the lost pile at the start of the scenario

Congrats, its a negative scenario effects that can't be negated by perks and you have a chance of avoiding.

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 21, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Piell posted:

1) Gain 1 reputation
2) Gain 1 prosperity
3) Gain 5 gold each
4) Nothing
5) Lose a check mark

The repeatable ones maybe but there are one-offs that do more interesting things. Especially ones linked to character creation / retirement.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 21, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Piell posted:

1) Gain 1 reputation
2) Gain 5 gold each
3) Nothing
4) Lose 5 gold each
5) Lose a check mark

Congrats, its a negative scenario effects that can't be negated by perks and you have a chance of avoiding.
Okay? This game does this stuff with cards...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Okay? This game does this stuff with cards...

But it could do it so much better if it had actual choices on event cards rather than the dice roll it normally is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Piell posted:

But it could do it so much better if it had actual choices on event cards rather than the dice roll it normally is.

That's fair - some of them are more interesting than others but as a baseline I think it is just supposed to be that.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I actually like road events because they add an unknown element scenarios. Because there's almost no variability in your starting conditions, it's very easy to fall into a rote pattern of play.

Turn 1, I play these two cards to setup strengthen/element requirments.
Turn 2, Play my big 2 card combo, stamina potion back my combo.
Turn 3, Do the big combo again, using goggles this time.
etc.

But, if you were forced to discard one of your combo cards, or started a scenario poisoned/wounded you have to consider doing different things, or eating the extra damage.

Would events be better if you could reliably make the "good" choice and take the lesser (or no) penalty every time? Maybe from a purely tactical perspective. But I think a bit of negative randomness does Gloomhaven a lot of good, particularly since the game gets way too easy as you progress the campaign, even playing on hard mode.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elephant Ambush posted:

What about the ones that unlock scenarios, but only if you pick the right answer?

Am I allowed to say those are bad design?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The one that bugged me was the event that unlocked one scenario if you chose the right answer but TWO scenarios if you chose the "wrong" answer

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Kashuno posted:

This wasn't my favorite conversation topic in this thread... But it was my least favorite.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jimbozig posted:

What about the ones that unlock scenarios, but only if you pick the right answer?

No. It's not "bad" because you miss out on 100%ing the game first time through. In fact I think it's actually good design to encourage multiple campaign playthroughs.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Considering that most of the time you're supposed to destroy the card when you're done with it that kind of falls out of the window.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

Considering that most of the time you're supposed to destroy the card when you're done with it that kind of falls out of the window.

Usually the unlockables are destroyed but the other half puts the card back on the bottom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't thing you are ever actually told to destroy the cards.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you don't actually destroy the card in a jagged rip as shown on the card, Isaac comes to your house and does it for you. It's the law.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't thing you are ever actually told to destroy the cards.

That's technically correct looking at the rules, though it says to remove from the game which maintains the spirit of the action imo

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Usually the unlockables are destroyed but the other half puts the card back on the bottom.

Not always

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Page 39 says "remove the event card from the game," not "destroy it." I assume nobody is indicating a lost card by taking a red marker and drawing an "x" through the card?

Piell posted:

Like with the personal quests, there's unquestionably problems with the event cards and big improvements to be made for the next game. But there's nothing inherently wrong with being given some random choices. I have stronger objections to some of the campaign choices where you can gather information which leads you to make a misleading choice. Encountering berries and deciding whether or not to eat them is really no biggie as far as random benefit/penalty goes; honestly, the choice can be metagamed after the first time if you note the card ID, but that's not much fun.

What the game needed more of were city and road events driven by global choices and achievements. These choices lead to statistically minor consequences. Completely changing the rulership of the city only adds one town event? Shouldn't there be larger consequences? The problem is that there's currently no mechanism for removing event cards prior to their happening, or forcing events to happen, so the game doesn't register if you're in the middle of investigating a problem or have resolved it. The easy solution there would be to have events that begin "if Global Achievement Y is complete remove this card from the game and instead resolve event card 94" where the replacement event cards are only ever added/triggered in this way.

Creating a stronger connection between things you do as a party and events that happen to you would enhance the narrative of the game, make decisions seem more consequential, and strengthen the feeling of role-playing. I can understand that for the first attempt, the events were more of an afterthought as getting the major game systems to work properly were a priority, but I hope later games find ways to make some events matter more, without completely doing away from whimsical or random events.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When I lose a card I throw it around the room and find it later.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jimbozig posted:

Nope. Game is perfect and you aren't allowed to complain or house rule. See the reaction earlier in the thread (or on bgg) on people house ruling advantage for evidence.

Also, envelope X isn't poo poo.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Been meaning to ask: what are the usual things people have mentioned doing when retiring to maximize impact of a character in town prior to retirement?

Also, my party member's personal quest is tied directly into the plot advancement of the game and is super loving cool. Makes my extremely pedestrian one seem incredibly lame.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ShaneB posted:

Been meaning to ask: what are the usual things people have mentioned doing when retiring to maximize impact of a character in town prior to retirement?

Also, my party member's personal quest is tied directly into the plot advancement of the game and is super loving cool. Makes my extremely pedestrian one seem incredibly lame.

Sell all your gear, then donate to the sanctuary and upgrade your cards. Nothing else you can do.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Piell posted:

Sell all your gear, then donate to the sanctuary and upgrade your cards. Nothing else you can do.

Oh yeah, upgrading cards, that's what it was. Along with the 1-time donation.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Just got this game on Tuesday, all set to try out our first scenario Saturday. Broken Token organizer isn't in yet, so I'm resorting to baggies for the first game, but I did manage to paint up all six starting characters in time. Planning to play a Spellweaver first, in a group of four.

Is it plausible to use mini dice to track HP even without special stands? Mostly is there room on the board, I don't mind having to move the dice separately.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Kaza42 posted:

Is it plausible to use mini dice to track HP even without special stands? Mostly is there room on the board, I don't mind having to move the dice separately.

Use Gloomhaven Helper.

Or use the mini-dice on the card sleeve designed for tracking health and conditions.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kaza42 posted:

Just got this game on Tuesday, all set to try out our first scenario Saturday. Broken Token organizer isn't in yet, so I'm resorting to baggies for the first game, but I did manage to paint up all six starting characters in time. Planning to play a Spellweaver first, in a group of four.

I just use regular dice on the monster card

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Use Gloomhaven Helper.

Or use the mini-dice on the card sleeve designed for tracking health and conditions.

Piell posted:

I just use regular dice on the monster card

Alright, thanks. Was hoping to have that information visible on the field without having to look away, but I'll take your advice

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
If you're playing with 4 there definitely will not be room on the board to also have dice knocking around, many rooms turn into giant mosh pits, especially initial room layouts, or if there are enemies that summon in any way.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
drat you get all of those painted in two days? We should get around to that.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Every time I see painted mini's I think "Yeah, I should do that. Even if it isn't great it'd be nice compared to the bare plastic."
Then I realize I am super lazy when it comes to things like that and move on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno, I like the road and city events.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

drat you get all of those painted in two days? We should get around to that.

Starting is often the hardest part, it's a lot easier to work on a second one after you have one mini painted in a group. Do the Cragheart first, it's dead simple to paint so it's easy to get out of the way and then all your other minis will guilt you into painting them too

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

If you're playing with 4 there definitely will not be room on the board to also have dice knocking around, many rooms turn into giant mosh pits, especially initial room layouts, or if there are enemies that summon in any way.

Not really? We normally have 4 people and while there isn't abundant space, there's more than enough room for the dice we're using and spare dice.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I retired my Mindthief while attempting and failing the solo scenario twice. Trying it at level 7 or 8 seems much harder than at 6 since the monster hp seems very tightly tuned based on the cards you're expected to use.

Anyway I have lightning bolt now. The Reddit guide was written from the first edition but the class was nerfed since then. Anyone use that guide and have any thoughts?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

I retired my Mindthief while attempting and failing the solo scenario twice. Trying it at level 7 or 8 seems much harder than at 6 since the monster hp seems very tightly tuned based on the cards you're expected to use.

Anyway I have lightning bolt now. The Reddit guide was written from the first edition but the class was nerfed since then. Anyone use that guide and have any thoughts?

You know the game now - screw a guide!

I was thinking that after the first class I retire I'm done trying a prescriptive guide.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 21, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

KingKapalone posted:

The level 4 cards are better than the level 5 cards. The retaliate build is kinda crap. Everything else depends on your team comp.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've found guides to be of pretty limited usefulness on the whose. They're good for pointing out which cards are better than they seem, on their own and with regards to enchantments and some card/item synergies, but all the guides I've seen have some really weird ideas about how characters will be positioned and totally dog on a number of strategies that my party has enjoyed to great success, like retaliate tanking.

Plus a huge chunk of strategy depends on the scenario you're doing, the classes you're doing it with, and how many players you've got, and they'd need to be both super exhaustive and spoiler-laden to cover that aspect.

And my party managed to (city event spoiler) unlock the Flea-Bitten Shawl which upends a lot of strategic considerations and will never be seen by most parties. I'm sure there are similar things my party has missed out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

but all the guides I've seen have some really weird ideas about how characters will be positioned and totally dog on a number of strategies that my party has enjoyed to great success, like retaliate tanking.

Did you somehow make the Spellweaver tank happen?