Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
All those seasons were awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The show was always bad and cringy. The sooner we accept that the better.

We want a good show but all we get is the bad poosey.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Season 6 was surprisingly okay but 5 and 7 were real bad (5 was worse than 7). I'm glad the climactic moment the whole series was building up to where John and Dany meet involved as much chemistry as two bots talking on tinder. Consistently the worst parts of the show have been when they've gone off-script from what grrm wrote. (John and the deserters, jaime in dorne, sansa going to winterfell, yara's "rescue" of theon, etc.) They've done some good stuff also to be fair but it's been pretty bad as of late. Anecdotal but even people who never read the books have noticed it's gotten bad in my experience, and that pretty neatly coincides with them running out of book.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also they had plenty of book for season 5, it's not really an excuse at all for how bad that was. Somehow they took the dumbest plot in the whole book (dorne poo poo) and made it even less relevant or comprehensible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 28, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The books and the show probably peaked at 1 because of the nut kick from daddy Stark biting it out of nowhere. That was real good at the time. I don’t think he realized what would happen when you kill off so many characters and you’re left with the B team.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also they had plenty of book for season 5, it's not really an excuse at all for how bad that was. Somehow they took the dumbest plot in the whole book (dorne poo poo) and made it even less relevant or comprehensible.

Oh yeah, how could they leave out riveting stuff like traveling with Dick Crabb, the awe-inspiring Kettleblack saga, and other such heady fare?

I'm glad that so much of the book stuff remained in the books and never made its way to the screen. Sure, the show found its way to make its own dumb chapters (and how!), but they were usually good about knowing what was important stuff that had to be adapted and what could be safely tossed out. Well, except for Jaime telling Tyrion about his first wife, which was a rather defining moment in their stories. I can -sort- of get the reason, because it would take Tyrion's level of drama and disgrace into Super Sayan levels after he was near-killed, betrayed, lied about, villified and had his favorite puppy eaten by Gregor Clegane. But still.

Even the show wasn't so bad as to make Euron's takeover be basically "He showed up with a magic horn promising the world once everyone makes a long round-the-world voyage, and everyone else was too retarded/contrived to stop it".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sephyr posted:

Oh yeah, how could they leave out riveting stuff like traveling with Dick Crabb, the awe-inspiring Kettleblack saga, and other such heady fare?

I'm glad that so much of the book stuff remained in the books and never made its way to the screen. Sure, the show found its way to make its own dumb chapters (and how!), but they were usually good about knowing what was important stuff that had to be adapted and what could be safely tossed out. Well, except for Jaime telling Tyrion about his first wife, which was a rather defining moment in their stories. I can -sort- of get the reason, because it would take Tyrion's level of drama and disgrace into Super Sayan levels after he was near-killed, betrayed, lied about, villified and had his favorite puppy eaten by Gregor Clegane. But still.

Even the show wasn't so bad as to make Euron's takeover be basically "He showed up with a magic horn promising the world once everyone makes a long round-the-world voyage, and everyone else was too retarded/contrived to stop it".

I barely remember how that Euron scene was in the show , but wanst basically "I'll build a thousand ships!!" and that was enough to convince everyone?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

The books and the show probably peaked at 1 because of the nut kick from daddy Stark biting it out of nowhere. That was real good at the time. I don’t think he realized what would happen when you kill off so many characters and you’re left with the B team.

When he started writing it was only supposed to be three books. Ned was the hero of Book 1, and then he died. Robb was supposed to be the hero of Book 2 and then die. And then Jon and Dany were supposed to be the heroes of Book 3 and then probably die too. I dunno.

E:

Elias_Maluco posted:

I barely remember how that Euron scene was in the show , but wanst basically "I'll build a thousand ships!!" and that was enough to convince everyone?

It was "I'll build a thousands ships! And girls are stupid, they can't rule anything! And Theon has no dick!" / "EURON! EURON! EURON! EURON!" :eng101:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Season 5 was unforgivably bad. 6 started okay and every episode was better than the last, and the final two were pretty loving amazing. 7 felt like they suddenly realized that stories are supposed to have a conclusion so they're just rushing through everything that's left but after waiting so god drat long even rushed it feels a little a satisfying to see some of this poo poo finally happen.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Euron's role as "the guy who screams down from a flaming drawbridge and murders characters you hate" is pretty good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

emanresu tnuocca posted:

All those seasons were awful.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Being only three books would probably be solid as hell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

He should have just done the 5 year gap.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I bet the power supply of his ancient PC went poof like four years ago and he just never fixed it or told anyone

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

:agreed: except I'd miss my crazy fat Cersei chapters

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

He's getting pretty close to doing 2 of these

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

When he started writing it was only supposed to be three books. Ned was the hero of Book 1, and then he died. Robb was supposed to be the hero of Book 2 and then die. And then Jon and Dany were supposed to be the heroes of Book 3 and then probably die too. I dunno.

E:

It was "I'll build a thousands ships! And girls are stupid, they can't rule anything! And Theon has no dick!" / "EURON! EURON! EURON! EURON!" :eng101:

Which was dumb and hilarious and borderline Trumpian, but still not quite as bad as "Hey guys! Um, there's a girl in the rear end-end of the world with dragons! Sailor told me so! Vote for me and we'll go there and get them!"

The way he basically just farts in the general direction of all noble houses and religious authorities and common sense that constrain every other character and never pauys a price is so contrived it takes plot armor to a new level. Everyone else is all "ironborn must never shed the blood of ironborn!" and he's cackling while offing political enemies right after coming back.

It's like Gurm went "Well, I need -something- to disturb the Tyrrels top keep this clusterfuck unresolved and going for two extra books. Dorne is dumb, the Stormland are a weird bland nowuere I forgot to give a character to, even I am sick of Lannisters....gently caress it, I'll use the ironborn again. They now don't care about the North and want the world, and the motivation is that this guy is crazy."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Chieves posted:

He's getting pretty close to doing 2 of these

There were two of them before this double-header.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Which was dumb and hilarious and borderline Trumpian, but still not quite as bad as "Hey guys! Um, there's a girl in the rear end-end of the world with dragons! Sailor told me so! Vote for me and we'll go there and get them!"

The way he basically just farts in the general direction of all noble houses and religious authorities and common sense that constrain every other character and never pauys a price is so contrived it takes plot armor to a new level. Everyone else is all "ironborn must never shed the blood of ironborn!" and he's cackling while offing political enemies right after coming back.

It's like Gurm went "Well, I need -something- to disturb the Tyrrels top keep this clusterfuck unresolved and going for two extra books. Dorne is dumb, the Stormland are a weird bland nowuere I forgot to give a character to, even I am sick of Lannisters....gently caress it, I'll use the ironborn again. They now don't care about the North and want the world, and the motivation is that this guy is crazy."

It's a recurring theme in both the books and the show that everyone from the Iron Isles who isn't Yara/Asha is a shortsighted self-destructive idiot loser, so it's perfectly in keeping.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It is possible that there's a correlation between "blows magical horn" and sudden political support that goes beyond just "wow that horn is pretty cool".

Not that we'll ever know.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

remember when they said they changed Asha's name to Yara so it would sound less like Osha, but now it sounds like Arya.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

esperterra posted:

remember when they said they changed Asha's name to Yara so it would sound less like Osha, but now it sounds like Arya.

They changed it because they made Osha more prominent. Arya had nothing to do with it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

nine-gear crow posted:

They changed it because they made Osha more prominent. Arya had nothing to do with it.

I just find it funny they changed it b/c Osha was more prominent, yet the name they changed it to sounds like one of the most prominent people in the series lmao

I'd even argue Yara sounds more like Arya than Asha does Osha

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

It is possible that there's a correlation between "blows magical horn" and sudden political support that goes beyond just "wow that horn is pretty cool".

Not that we'll ever know.

"I mean, it killed the guy who blew it. If THAT doesn't decide your vote I don't know what will, man."

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
lol remember how osha hosed up killing ramsay because they needed to write her out

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

lol remember how osha hosed up killing ramsay because they needed to write her out

Then Natalia Tena joined that "Techbro libertarian billionaire solves crimes by via doxxing" show on CBS which got cancelled immediately because oops Jeremy Piven's a sexmonster. Also it was godawful.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
GRRM HAS NINE NEW BOOKS that he suggests you to read over the summer instead of waiting for him to finish his.

To be fair though, Wizard of Earthsea, Watership Down, and Once and Future King are all solid picks.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
why does his list of favorite books look like that of a nerdy 7th grader......wtf martin

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's only two good books, and they're some of the duller stuff Fitzgerald and Dickens wrote

lol at recommending Le Guin and Zelazny

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Boring :what:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
He should have said to read this thread.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Much like in the republican congress, there are lots of pages and they're all white and have nothing on them but the sweat and shame of a fat rich creep.
Late to the party, but GODDAMN, SON!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
At 1382 pages, it is about the average length of an ASoIaF book before he stopped writing them. And more coherent too.

Nebula Award please!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

GRRM HAS NINE NEW BOOKS that he suggests you to read over the summer instead of waiting for him to finish his.

To be fair though, Wizard of Earthsea, Watership Down, and Once and Future King are all solid picks.

seriously though - no wildcards?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There's only two good books, and they're some of the duller stuff Fitzgerald and Dickens wrote

lol at recommending Le Guin and Zelazny

Lord of Light is great though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kcroy posted:

seriously though - no wildcards?

I mean, there's not even a single graphic novel on there. Completely poo poo list.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
its a loving weird list. It's like babbys first scifi book

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Deptfordx posted:

Lord of Light is great though.

How's the prose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked Lord of Light and kind of enjoyed most of the Amber chronicles but then again I just listened to Rise of Endymion and thought it was generally ok?