Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

so, someone bought suse for billions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
suse still exists? :confused:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Still huge in Germany

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

thebigcow posted:

After letting Fedora update whatever it wanted to, GRUB wouldn't load at all.

Booted a live USB thing and it looked like everything was there that should be.

Then I got the idea to turn the secure boot setting on my xxxxxxtreme gamer motherboard from "Windows-UEFI" to "Other-OS" and it works again.

This has been today's GNU/Linux experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_2

HTH. I shudder to think what UEFI looks like on a Lenovo laptop ughhhh.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ewe2 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_2

it looks fine.

Zotac of all companies have a really nice UEFI implementation btw. I have one of their little PCs that I use as a home server and it spends maybe two seconds in firmware after power-on before executing the bootloader.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Tired of shelling for licenses, I bet.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TimWinter posted:

Tired of shelling for licenses, I bet.

the buyer is some swedish private equity fund conglomerate???

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Soricidus posted:

the surface pro also has a really nice low profile magnetic power connector. better than magsafe imo, and vastly better than usb c or lightning

had a fun convo with my boss about some stupid lovely issue with their power connector where it refused to charge until he removed/re-attached the non-battery keyboard on his. piles of poo poo, all of them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

billions? with a b? do they own patents or something?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

billions? with a b? do they own patents or something?

yes, 2.535 instagrams. no idea why though

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the buyer is some swedish private equity fund conglomerate???

private equity?

lol start working on your migration plans right the gently caress now

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Sapozhnik posted:

private equity?

lol start working on your migration plans right the gently caress now

gotta monetize them lunixes

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Poopernickel posted:

YOSPOS: folk's we gotta go back in time and whoop Babbage's rear end

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

ewe2 posted:

It was fine with secure boot turned on from Fedora 26 -> 27 -> 28 and a mountain of kernel updates right up until yesterday.

At least sound works.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thebigcow posted:

It was fine with secure boot turned on from Fedora 26 -> 27 -> 28 and a mountain of kernel updates right up until yesterday.

At least sound works.

m'loader

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

so is btrfs dead now or what

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

nope, it's very alive according to the changelogs, and suse still uses it for its own snapshot solution

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern posted:

nope, it's very alive according to the changelogs, and suse still uses it for its own snapshot solution

suse uses it for root volumes

Grub2 seems to be able to boot from it if it is a simple volume (read: no raid)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

el dorito posted:

suse uses it for root volumes

Grub2 seems to be able to boot from it if it is a simple volume (read: no raid)

you can't have certain filesystem compression enabled either. like zstd compression and grub just doesn't work. so i use ext for /boot

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Condiv posted:

you can't have certain filesystem compression enabled either. like zstd compression and grub just doesn't work. so i use ext for /boot

I just use ext4 for everything

seems to work just fine

(lately I’ve been also using xfs and that works fine too)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Progressive JPEG posted:

1/3 of synology's lineup uses it exclusively

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I imagine that grub2 probably has to reimplement a bunch of code for supported filesystems in order to read the information they need so I bet we’re never ever gonna see anything more advanced.

I wonder if there is a bounty to get grub2 to support murderfs4, although since the latter is not stable anyway, I bet it’ll never happen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
we don't really need more advanced filesystems for /boot

it is ok if /boot is ext4 for the next 100 years

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
/boot should rightly be the FAT32-formatted EFI system partition but no apparently that isn't spergy enough for some people

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i rented and set up a supermicro server yesterday

it did not, in the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen, have EFI firmware as far as i could tell.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

i rented and set up a supermicro server yesterday

it did not, in the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen, have EFI firmware as far as i could tell.

afaik supermicro doesn't sell anything non-efi

but they have the most confusing firmware configuration interfaces in the business so i don't blame you for finding the mislabeled radio button in a menu nested six deep

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the grub driver for some filesystems is quite small

btrfs is not one of those

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
i was reading up on how it works with mdadm devices and lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Janitor Prime posted:

i was reading up on how it works with mdadm devices and lol

i wasn't sure whether the "it" here was btrfs or grub so i went googling for btrfs + mdadm to see if i could find the lols and found out that (a) btrfs has its own raid layer, presumably because zfs envy and (b) at least as recently as 2016, this raid code was so turbofucked that, when you told it to scrub a raid5 after replacing a disk, although it would successfully recover the data, in the process it would corrupt the parity, leading to future data corruption

lol

why does anyone use btrfs

also, if that was not your lol, please elaborate

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

grub's filesystem drivers implement write by using the read side to figure out where the blocks are in the existing file and then overwriting the blocks

you can imagine how well this works on filesystems with checksums

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why would grub be writing to the filesystem? i thought it was just looking for the colonel img to jump into

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Progressive JPEG posted:

the colonel img

11 secret blocks and userspaces

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

why would grub be writing to the filesystem? i thought it was just looking for the colonel img to jump into

it can save the last menu entry you booted as the default

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

/boot should rightly be the FAT32-formatted EFI system partition but no apparently that isn't spergy enough for some people

it actually should be /efi

/boot is a mess nowadays, because the EFI System partition can be mounted at /boot, or /boot/efi, or /efi, depending on what distro you're using

i think the new /efi was the plan to rectify that mess

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
/private/efi

/efi -> /private/efi

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the grub filesystem interaction is such a mess of a design decision, presumably someone so offended by the special case of letting the boot files have separate constraints compared to other files that they were willing to add any amount of complexity to avoid it

not that it really matters, since one can also set up the boot in a straightforward way, but seems a real waste of time and effort

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

BobHoward posted:

why does anyone use btrfs

Lysidas posted:

filesystem level snapshots, cross-machine or FS incremental snapshot replication, data and metadata chrcksumming in a smart way, rebuilding data instead of a block device, saving time if the FS on the disks isn't very full

the filesystem level redundancy and checksumming lets the filesystem recover from minor corruption the way hardware raid can't: if you have a RAID 1 and the two copies of your data differ, with hardware raid it's a crapshoot, with zfs or btrfs you use the copy with the correct checksum to fix the corrupt copy

plus file-level copy on write (reflinking)

though yeah raid5 and raid6 are a horrible mess, my only use of btrfs is for a single disk or in raid1 and its been :thumbsup:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

11 secret blocks and userspaces

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

just use lilo