Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I know what you mean, I've definitely felt that. The model typically inspires the diorama, though, I rarely come up with an idea first and then buy a model for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

To whoever recommended that Metal Gear Rex kit, thank you. It's crazy how much stuff there is to move, turn, push, pull, open and close.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
SPW stands for Scutzenpaintballwagen, right?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's some fantastic painting there.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

SPW stands for Scutzenpaintballwagen, right?

The end result looks great, but have you considered using a toothpick to apply the oil dots? That just looks like a lot of material to work into the surface.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
How many times do you have to paint a model with that technique before the "oh my God I've ruined the model" feeling goes away?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

If you're worried about it, just do it on one section of the model. If you really screwed it up or are unhappy with it, you could just wipe it away with mineral spirits. Its a really forgiving technique.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I know folks have posted Metal Earth stuff here before. I dropped by the local hobby shop yesterday, and found Metal Earth makes a line called Iconx that are bigger and crazier. One of them was the USS Missouri.

This thing was 3 massive sheets of parts. I think the part numbers went up to around 190, I'd guess on and off it took about 8 or 10 hours to build. It was lots of fun, and the detail they crammed into this thing is amazing.

It's around a foot long completed. Some of the parts were hilariously tiny to bend and attach. I managed to forget to install a couple tiny gun turrets in the stern gunpits, and I chose not to build the fugly antenna structure on the bow.

Well worth the $20 or so I paid for it. The main battery gun barrels are even turned pieces, which was a nice touch.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Very nice work! That might be the coolest ME set I've seen yet.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Greyhawk posted:

To whoever recommended that Metal Gear Rex kit, thank you. It's crazy how much stuff there is to move, turn, push, pull, open and close.

:allears: It's pretty great. I still have to paint mine.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:allears: It's pretty great. I still have to paint mine.

I'm really apprehensive about painting it. There's so many moving parts that rely on things just fitting perfectly, I fear painting would gunk up that feature really bad.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've started working on some of the deck fittings for the Bluenose now that the decks are done. I am particularly proud of the after half, as I applied the lessons learned from building the foredeck and it turned out better.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Greyhawk posted:

I'm really apprehensive about painting it. There's so many moving parts that rely on things just fitting perfectly, I fear painting would gunk up that feature really bad.

If it's anything like Gunpla that won't really be a problem if you use light coats.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

So there is Rex in all his glory (still unpainted yet). Gonna do a panel line wash and light matte coating to have a look see how that will look.

That's a very tiny Solid Snake with Nikita remote control missile launcher in front. I don't remember Rex being this big, but then again the game is almost 20 years old now.

Scharnhorst issue 50

Second planking is extended to the stern and around the drive shaft exit.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

1/72 Tamiya P-47D Razorback

First attempt at trying to chip something. The wing root was chipped with hairspray, but the other little chips and scratches were with a brush. I tried using Prismacolor pencils, but it didn't really work for me. I knocked off the dorsal antenna about 15 times over the course of the build. In the future, I think I'm gonna leave pitot tubes and antennae as the very last thing I put on a model. I tried using a small amount of tamiya cement to fix the canopy in place since the fit was a bit off. Unfortunately this fogged up one of the top windows, its barely visible in the photos though. Also forgot to drill the wings for the bazooka launchers, so I just left them off.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!
A new project arrived at my doorstep:

I splurged and ordered a wooden deck, at least while it's still in the package it looks very good. Let's hope that it stays like that after I put it on.
I'll have to go for some sort of sub-assembly build-process, because it's going to be impossible to first assemble everything and then mask the deck, which has a hundred tiny lasercut holes for various greebles on deck. Though I'm still not sure if I should go basecoat → assemble → apply weathering or rather basecoat + weathering → final assembly.
Any experience?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I left my SPW in the rain and it rusted.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

I left my SPW in the rain and it rusted.

nice

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Decided to do a little DIY project this weekend. Needed something nice to hold my brushes, and it gave me an excuse to buy a drill-press I've been eyeing for a while now.

I think I might be getting low on brushes....

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much
I just finished the SR-71 model, here some pictures!
top!

bottom!

shelf!

had many difficulties because of my inexperience no doubt, mostly in gluing the parts making the borders connect precisely and with the stickers. Had a lot of fun nevertheless!
next one will probably be an Eurofighter I bough at a stand at an Air-show near my home, in Bellaria - Igea Marina, Italy. Here is some picture of the Italian acrobatic team, "Frecce Tricolori"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Those dudes were fun when they were here a few years back.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Hey, I was sent this was by the Miniature Painting thread because I was looking to see if anyone had experience with the Paasche Talon V2 airbrush, and was told someone here had one. Which I guess pretty much sums up my question, anyone have any thoughts on the brush, compared to say the Badger Patriot 105? Thanks in advance.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Sporkie posted:

Hey, I was sent this was by the Miniature Painting thread because I was looking to see if anyone had experience with the Paasche Talon V2 airbrush, and was told someone here had one. Which I guess pretty much sums up my question, anyone have any thoughts on the brush, compared to say the Badger Patriot 105? Thanks in advance.

I have both! I bought the Talon as my first big boy airbrush and liked it ok initially. As time went on, I ended up spending more time cleaning and tearing it down than I did actually modelling and it got so bad that I was about to give up on modelling completely. After my wife gave me a couple of kits for my birthday this year, I decided to give it one more go and got the 105 and I couldn't be happier. Thing is an absolute tank and in the 3 months I've had it, I've cleaned the nozzle exactly one time and have done a full teardown zero times. Eons better than the Talon, which now lives in its box, probably forever.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

EdsTeioh posted:

I have both! I bought the Talon as my first big boy airbrush and liked it ok initially. As time went on, I ended up spending more time cleaning and tearing it down than I did actually modelling and it got so bad that I was about to give up on modelling completely. After my wife gave me a couple of kits for my birthday this year, I decided to give it one more go and got the 105 and I couldn't be happier. Thing is an absolute tank and in the 3 months I've had it, I've cleaned the nozzle exactly one time and have done a full teardown zero times. Eons better than the Talon, which now lives in its box, probably forever.

Well that's pretty definitive. Thanks a bunch for the input!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Sporkie posted:

Well that's pretty definitive. Thanks a bunch for the input!

The Patriot is also like 1/2 the retail price of the Talon if I remember correctly.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Scharnhorst issue 51

A day late due to the summer flu

The rear of the forward deck structure is fitted with brass. We're done with this part for now and will move on to the remaining rear deck structure.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Greyhawk posted:

Scharnhorst issue 51

A day late due to the summer flu

The rear of the forward deck structure is fitted with brass. We're done with this part for now and will move on to the remaining rear deck structure.

I like what I've seen from you so far; that kit is going to look magnificent when you're done. On that note, the Scharnhorst is a pretty big kit, are you worried about display once you are finished?

I spent a disturbing number of hours working on some deck fittings for the Bluenose. After two abortive attempts, I got a skylight constructed (but not painted) and also finished the forward companionway (the stairs that go below decks in the front part of the ship). The latter in particular was a real bastard to finish as it is very poorly documented in the kit's manual and plans so I had to do a bit of research and come up with something that looked right. Construction went relatively smoothly when I finally got right down to it, but it was still quite time consuming as I tend to use wood glue for these small fittings instead of CA so I have some time to wiggle and reposition things if I need to.

Here's all three roughly in position. I was rather concerned at first about figuring out how to get everything to sit down flush to the deck, but so far I haven't had a problem.

And here's a glamour shot of the birdhouse companionway.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Fearless posted:

On that note, the Scharnhorst is a pretty big kit, are you worried about display once you are finished?

No, I'm currently restructuring my apartment, which will enable me to use a "table of ships" for display. In the long run it will feature the Bismarck, Hood and Scharnhorst all beside each other in 1:200.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That will be a very large table.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fearless posted:

Here's all three roughly in position. I was rather concerned at first about figuring out how to get everything to sit down flush to the deck, but so far I haven't had a problem.

Looking good.

Pro-tip for getting stuff flush to the deck if you are just setting it on top of the planking. Either hold down, or use double sided tape to hold down some relatively fine-grit sandpaper to the deck, grit side up. Take deck furniture piece, and move front to back (not side to side) along the deck to sand the bottom of the deck furniture to perfectly match the curve of the deck.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Been working on a Hollywood Tiger for an upcoming Kelly's Heroes anniversary event and I think I'm more or less finished with it outside some basic decals.
Oh and the four rings around the barrel I realize now.
Granted I am missing some foliage on the sides but no idea how to pull that off well.
This was honestly one of the projects I wished I had an airbrush for to do the camouflage a bit better and the weathering on top.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cooked Auto posted:

It's a wasted trip baby. Nobody said nothing about locking horns with no Tigers.

Been working on a Hollywood Tiger for an upcoming Kelly's Heroes anniversary event and I think I'm more or less finished with it outside some basic decals.
Oh and the four rings around the barrel I realize now.
Granted I am missing some foliage on the sides but no idea how to pull that off well.
This was honestly one of the projects I wished I had an airbrush for to do the camouflage a bit better and the weathering on top.

You gonna do the Oddball Sherman with that?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

The Locator posted:

Looking good.

Pro-tip for getting stuff flush to the deck if you are just setting it on top of the planking. Either hold down, or use double sided tape to hold down some relatively fine-grit sandpaper to the deck, grit side up. Take deck furniture piece, and move front to back (not side to side) along the deck to sand the bottom of the deck furniture to perfectly match the curve of the deck.

I was thinking of that for the larger fittings to be found aft. The main cabin is quite large and isn't going to sit flush if sanded flat, given the camber in the deck.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

My new Orient Express Sleeping Car kit arrived from Amati and I did a quick unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-2sg6W9xE

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

You gonna do the Oddball Sherman with that?

No someone else is doing the Sherman in this case as I'm doing the Tiger as a favour/commission for someone else.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: ignore please

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.B is practically done.

The rest of the diorama is slowly taking shape.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

My new Orient Express Sleeping Car kit arrived from Amati and I did a quick unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut-2sg6W9xE

I looked up this ship model online and I'm kind of confused. Why does it have wheels, and which end is the bow?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Closeup of the figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miracle Mike
Sep 23, 2012

I talk too much
this is beautiful !
(and he seems to enjoy the stick up his bum)