Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dangerllama posted:

Speaking of books/movies that were revolutionary but are now considered trite: The Matrix would have made everyone's top-10 list if they hand't made more than one.

Matrix was an awesome movie. Just curious, does anyone under the age of 45 like Commando? I can't imagine a younger person putting that on their top 10 list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought myself a white guy that could handle hot stuff until I asked my Thai place for a "Thai hot" dish. I got through it, but it wasn't a nice hot. And there was level hotter they could have gone. I truly think it would have given me a heart attack.

You have to have been eating chilis for a long time to handle that. It's also really disappointing when I ask for something insanely hot and it doesn't give me hiccups nor make me sweat like I'm standing over a pit on the 19th of June.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

You've harped on this like 6 times now and it keeps getting funnier that you think a thoroughly defeated, leaderless, weaponless, supplyless enemy would return to a seized stronghold and, what, politely ask for it back?

So the problem here is that you're literally too dumb for visual storytelling and need a bearded guy to give you exposition. lol.

You're making a weird tactical realism argument about how the War Boys don't appear agan because they've been strategically defeated, which is visual storytelling.

The actual visual storytelling is that war truck falls apart and blocks the camera. Since the War Boys don't show up again, it serves as a metaphor for their defeat.

It's not a very good visual metaphor, because it's missing the actual interesting part: the War Boys. As a conclusion to their story, it's completely insufficient, and there's no sense that they're truly defeated. They simply disappear.

Then we eventually see Furiosa and the brides being raised to the Citadel to take Joe's place, but they're gonna be nicer about it. Yet because the movie is cyclical, the unspoken conclusion is that things will go poo poo once again, and Joe is their heir (he's given no other origin). They even have the next generation of War Boys in the Citadel.

So despite their declaration to the contrary, their children will become warlords. But since this not explored further, the narrative ends up being very weak.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 6, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also I want to point out that the movie presents inequality as a guy holding a WATER/NO WATER lever, as if dramatizing the political cartoon with Obama holding levers marked GAS PRICE and ECONOMY.

I'm glad that the likelihood of another Mad Max movie being made before George Miller keels over is about the same as Winds of Winter coming out.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 6, 2018

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Marijuana posted:

We're all gonna read the poo poo out of Fire and Blood the second it comes out.

Speaking of, I wonder if this book will end with the last known whereabouts of the last Targaryen.

Which is Dany spraying the grass with hot dook.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

With all these differing opinions about movies and Dany dooks, I would just like to say that I'm a fan of peppers and sausage as a meal and not just a starter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Solice Kirsk posted:

With all these differing opinions about movies and Dany dooks, I would just like to say that I'm a fan of peppers and sausage as a meal and not just a starter.

I'm going to the cheesecake factory right now because my homemade fish and chips failed due to <BUTCHER DID NOT PROPERLY REMOVE FISH POOP ORGANS FROM FISH, LIKE THEY WERE REAL DEEP IN THERE MAN>

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

kcroy posted:

Matrix was an awesome movie. Just curious, does anyone under the age of 45 like Commando? I can't imagine a younger person putting that on their top 10 list.

I'm not even 40 yet and Commando is my guide to everyday life. It helps that my father got our first VCR the day it was shown on national TV here in Brazil ,so we recorded it and my brother and I watched it some 7 billion times.

It was dubbed, though, so I was utterly floored later on when I first saw Arnold speaking english and how goofy he sounded.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

kcroy posted:

I’m in my early middle late thirties and Commando is the meh-ist of Arnold movies. It’s decent, but outshined by so many of his others.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

I'm 37. I only discovered it in my late 20s when it hit bluray.

A dude I worked with was 27 and was obsessive about it for all the reasons I mentioned. Like it's set in Montana and California but has a synth-calypso soundtrack playing over child abduction and torture and brutal murders and it WORKS.

Against all odds, every part of it is terrible but the sum of its parts is INCREDIBLE.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Marijuana posted:

Dunk and Egg is extremely decent.

Better than decent. Short stories are a format grrm works really well in - hence why the books have occasional chapters that blow you away

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

People today don't like Commando because it's good as a movie. People like it because when you think "ridiculous 80s action movie" Commando sits atop the pile. Movies like Predator and Conan were good as movies, Commando is good because it's so over the top ridiculous at times and Arnold has some amazing one-liners in it.

The Expendables movies are probably the closest thing to Commando recently. You don't watch The Expendables for good acting, storytelling, or anything other than over the top action movie schlock and people throwing out cheesy-as-hell lines. IE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59931880kJY

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Better than decent.

It isn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dunk and Egg is good because it reminds me of breakfast.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dunk and Egg is good because it reminds me of breakfast.

grrm will do that

i liked the first three novellas and don't expect a fourth

wiki posted:

US edition front cover for the combined novellas: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
Martin has said that he would like to write a number of these stories (varying from six to twelve from interview to interview) covering the entire lives of these two characters.

In 2011 he talked about working on the fourth novella, which was originally to be included in the anthology Dangerous Women, and a year after that it and the three previously published Dunk and Egg tales were to be collected and published in the U.S. by Bantam Spectra as a stand-alone fix-up novel.[6] The working title of the fourth novella was The She-Wolves of Winterfell. As of late 2013, work on the story has been postponed while Martin completes The Winds of Winter. In April 2014, Martin also announced that he had roughed out another Dunk and Egg story with the working title The Village Hero which would be set in the Riverlands. He noted that he was not sure which of these two would be completed first.[7] In 2015, Martin noted that in addition to She-Wolves and The Village Hero he had notes and fairly specific ideas for a number of further installments, including The Sellsword, The Champion, The Kingsguard, and The Lord Commander, taking the planned series total to as many as nine novellas.[8]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
thank you wordstar

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
GRRM is the "ideas guy" in every group project ever.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

People today don't like Commando because it's good as a movie. People like it because when you think "ridiculous 80s action movie" Commando sits atop the pile. Movies like Predator and Conan were good as movies, Commando is good because it's so over the top ridiculous at times and Arnold has some amazing one-liners in it.

The Expendables movies are probably the closest thing to Commando recently. You don't watch The Expendables for good acting, storytelling, or anything other than over the top action movie schlock and people throwing out cheesy-as-hell lines. IE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59931880kJY

The "break into a gun store and basically come out packing missile launchers and 88mm howitzers" scene formatted my young 7-year-old mind that the US was a magical place of utter gun-nuttery.

Then I grew up and saw that was a silly caricature and got sad.

Then I grew up MORE and saw that my young eyes were unclouded and saw truly, and was happy.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

The "break into a gun store and basically come out packing missile launchers and 88mm howitzers" scene formatted my young 7-year-old mind that the US was a magical place of utter gun-nuttery.

Then I grew up and saw that was a silly caricature and got sad.

Then I grew up MORE and saw that my young eyes were unclouded and saw truly, and was happy.

i prefer a thinking mans gun store rampage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jSVwZ8w3C4

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Can you just make your next avatar this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

Don’t drag Jay Sherman like that. Jay was at least somewhat likeable.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
and sometimes correct

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

whowhatwhere posted:

No.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

and sometimes correct

While I am always correct.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

While I am always correct.

oh yeah? right on, my goon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
tell me more about d w griffith's intolerance

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

tell me more about d w griffith's intolerance

Intolerance
is a cinematic epic made in the Hollywood of the 1910s. Hollywood as we all know is the most important centre of American film industry. Intolerance is extremely interesting to us today for various reasons. Modern filmmakers would still like to know what the secret methods were that D.W. Griffith used to make thousands of people look good on film. This interesting riddle is still quite a challenge to modern cinematography in the twentieth-first century.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Intolerance
is a cinematic epic made in the Hollywood of the 1910s. Hollywood as we all know is the most important centre of American film industry. Intolerance is extremely interesting to us today for various reasons. Modern filmmakers would still like to know what the secret methods were that D.W. Griffith used to make thousands of people look good on film. This interesting riddle is still quite a challenge to modern cinematography in the twentieth-first century.

It also has ancient flame-throwing Babylonian tanks.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I caught up on some reading.. some of which I've seen recommended here. Quantum Thief, and Lies of Locke Lamora. Maybe I'm just getting older, or #metoo or something, but certain themes really grind on me. I also don't have much patience for the "oh wait he's so amazing - he's been a thief since age 2! He wins everything he tries at, except a few tragic "character building" experiences!". I won't continue with the Locke Lamora series. This negative review pretty much was what I felt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/281wnm/reading_the_lies_of_locke_lamora_and_ive_got_some/

Also some minor points about the Grey King and how if rear end-hat can afford insane sorcerer, so could everyone else in the story. The use of sorcery was completely unbalancing, and felt like one character just had a god power.

Quantum Thief started out with me being pretty irritated ( The name is stupid. I think the characters are kind of cheesy and poo poo. Main character basically rapes someone but its played off because someone else is controller her at the time... again, something that I might have thought was kind of cool years ago, but now just leaves a bad taste in my mouth ) but over all enjoying the story. Raises some interesting questions about who we are, and just sort of a fun romp in a post singularity world.

sort of funny, I messed up the spoiler tag since I used [/rape] at the end. I mean... this thread really should have a [rape][/rape] tag.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 9, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dangerllama posted:

I’m in my early middle late thirties and Commando is the meh-ist of Arnold movies. It’s decent, but outshined by so many of his others.

You have ignored the most truly bland film he did back then. Raw Deal. I don't know a single other person who has seen it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kcroy posted:

So I caught up on some reading.. some of which I've seen recommended here. Quantum Thief, and Lies of Locke Lamora. Maybe I'm just getting older, or #metoo or something, but certain themes really grind on me. I also don't have much patience for the "oh wait he's so amazing - he's been a thief since age 2! He wins everything he tries at, except a few tragic "character building" experiences!". I won't continue with the Locke Lamora series. This negative review pretty much was what I felt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/281wnm/reading_the_lies_of_locke_lamora_and_ive_got_some/

Also some minor points about the Grey King and how if rear end-hat can afford insane sorcerer, so could everyone else in the story. The use of sorcery was completely unbalancing, and felt like one character just had a god power.

Quantum Thief started out with me being pretty irritated ( The name is stupid. I think the characters are kind of cheesy and poo poo. Main character basically rapes someone but its played off because someone else is controller her at the time... again, something that I might have thought was kind of cool years ago, but now just leaves a bad taste in my mouth ) but over all enjoying the story. Raises some interesting questions about who we are, and just sort of a fun romp in a post singularity world.

sort of funny, I messed up the spoiler tag since I used [/rape] at the end. I mean... this thread really should have a [rape][/rape] tag.

Have you thought about reading real literature

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Have you thought about reading real literature

for instance...............................?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I will cherish this forever.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

The ending we deserve.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

scary ghost dog posted:

for instance...............................?

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
http://botnik.org/content/game-of-thrones.html

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Book Barn > ASoIaF: I swore a sacred oath to keep lumbering around the seven kingdoms until I die.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

The Book Barn > ASoIaF: I swore a sacred oath to keep lumbering around the seven kingdoms until I die.

i'm not gonna quote this site, exactly but how the f is strong belwas so far down this list?

Lord Benedar Belmore
Biter
Boros Blount
Maester Brenett
Butterbumps the Fool
Maester Caleotte
Ser Dontos Hollard
Lord Duram Bar Emmon
Erik Ironmaker
Hal the Hog
The High Septon
Hot Pie
Illyrio Mopatis
Kurleket
Lorimer the Belly
Lord Mace Tyrell
Marghaz zo Loraq
Lord Meldred Merlyn
King Robert Baratheon
Samwell Tarly
Strong Belwas
Maester Theomore
Thoros of Myr
Todric
Tomard (Fat Tom)
King Tommen Baratheon
Lord Wendel Manderly
Lord Wylis Manderly
Lord Wyman Manderly
Yezzan zo Qaggaz
Zollo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Belwas, Strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
everyone in asoiaf is a villain, we're just waiting but biter? biter?