Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

olives black posted:

That scene is funny because it's obvious that that claw is not attached to anything. I actually thought that it was severed from the T-Rex's arm when I first saw it. Easily one of the worst practical effects that I've ever seen.

Really? THAT is the worst you've ever seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Why did the T Rex think to touch the fence in the first place?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Why did the T Rex think to touch the fence in the first place?

She was testing the fences for weaknesses, systematically.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 4, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
She tried to throw a goat's leg on it at first and missed and couldn't reach to pick up a stick so she had to nut up and just grab it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You know how cats start to meow and go crazy when they see a can because clearly can = food for them?

Someone parked two cans of food in front of the rex cage

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Colapops posted:

One of the worst. I'm struggling to think of one that jarring, especially in a film with a major league budget.

olives black fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 5, 2018

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

What about the entirety of Jaws: The Revenge. Maybe not major budget, but major studio.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Colapops posted:

ONE OF

Learn to read.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just checked it out and it was a totally fine shot. What's the problem - you get to see where the dinosaur is in relation to the fence immediately after and it makes physical sense that its arm would do that?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 5, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It looks fine to me. :shrug: It does look like it's been dragged downwards and gets slightly snagged on the fence, but in a 't-rex being lethargic' way rather than a 'dude holding a stick with a rubber claw on the end' way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's no way that a T rex could get itself into a position where it could reach up and grab something with its arm but no other part of its body is visible in the shot.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The dramatic tension of only seeing a tiny bit of the monster is easily worth some spatial sleight of hand.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glad she is dead posted:

The dramatic tension of only seeing a tiny bit of the monster is easily worth some spatial sleight of hand.

Yeah, I've seen the movie a ton of times and I never ever noticed that until olives black pointed it out yesterday. That scene is the big payoff to pretty much everything else in the film up to that point (including all the promotional material and ads) and Spielberg played it perfectly. The dramatic tension suddenly just ramps up and up and up and UP right from the ripples in the cup of water onwards and it totally paid off.

Edit: this is great :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD-DmvbGXUE&t=197s

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 5, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's no way that a T rex could get itself into a position where it could reach up and grab something with its arm but no other part of its body is visible in the shot.

That doesn't make it a bad effect though?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Not to harp on what is a pretty minor shot in a great scene but I found a copy of Phil Tippett's pre-prod claymotion animatic for the scene and he obviously struggled with it as well, he had Rexy coming straight at the fence instead of standing side on. If you block out the shot using an entire T-rex model and not just a disembodied arm that's pretty much the only way it could work and even then I think he fudged the position of the fence in relation to the T-rex's head and the car in order to have the arm being visible before the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oelBtZHkL4c&t=392s
(6:32 in case the timestamp doesn't work.)

They obviously had difficulties with final shot in the film as well, they hide a sneaky cut in there where you see the arm grab the fence out in the open but then it immediately cuts to the exact same image as seen from behind the car's window with the lifesize animatronic T-rex popping up.

Edit: I was curious so I looked up some early versions of the script (January 19 1991 Michael Crichton script, March 14 1992 Maria Scotch Marmo re-write) and in both of them the first glimpse we get of the T-rex is of its paws gripping the fence so it was obviously an image that Spielberg really loved and wanted to include right from the start.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 5, 2018

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plus isn't that basically impossible since later on they plummet down? Or is that a different area?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vintersorg posted:

Plus isn't that basically impossible since later on they plummet down? Or is that a different area?

People have been arguing over it for years and have even drawn maps showing how it would all be possible but apparently the original plan was for the T-rex to drag the front car a certain distance or across the road to where there was a steep drop off but that got cut out of the final edit so now that cliff just suddenly appears out of nowhere.

Edit: in the 1991 Crichton script the T-Rex just picks up the car and puts it in a tree, in the 1992 re-write it pushes it a fair way and then tosses it over a steep embankment into a tree.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 5, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was the smashed up Explorer in Fallen Kingdom supposed to be the same car that the Rex attacked?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

glad she is dead posted:

Was the smashed up Explorer in Fallen Kingdom supposed to be the same car that the Rex attacked?

I just googled it and they're both labeled 04 so yeah, they're supposed to be the same car (even though the missing tyre is in a different position to the tyre that got ripped off by Rexy in JP1)

Edit: oh and remember the scene where the boat is pulling away from the island and everyone stands and watches as a lone brachiosaurus stands on the edge of the dock and screams in terror as it's consumed by lava?? The director has confirmed that that specific brachiosaurus was the same dinosaur that Grant and Ellie first saw when they visited Jurassic Park, and they even used the same animation of it rearing up on its hind legs for that shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg
:toot:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 5, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stuff like that really makes it feel like there were barely any dinosaurs at all. Life did a pretty poo poo job of finding a way.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone actually think the US is going to end up with a dinosaur problem? Give it two weeks and the problem would be solved by rednecks with guns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vintersorg posted:

It's almost the exact same spot that the T-Rex comes through, it just doesn't make sense. It's one of the greatest scenes in film history so it doesn't matter.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

God, can we just take a minute and appreciate how RAD AS gently caress it is that they built a full size T. Rex animatronic? Sure, maybe it got the shakes when it got too wet. Whatever.

Still rad. As. gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It actually looks a bigger than it does in the film relative to the people in the photo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

God, can we just take a minute and appreciate how RAD AS gently caress it is that they built a full size T. Rex animatronic? Sure, maybe it got the shakes when it got too wet. Whatever.

I'm always curious as to what the gently caress happened to this prop? Is it just stored away somewhere? Was it ruined with time? Sold? Taken apart and repurposed?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm always curious as to what the gently caress happened to this prop? Is it just stored away somewhere? Was it ruined with time? Sold? Taken apart and repurposed?

As far as I know, by the time they got around to filming The Lost World the foam rubber skin had pretty much disintegrated (probably not helped by it getting soaking wet during filming) so they broke up the animatronic skeleton for parts for other models.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I believe it got refurbished for Lost World (in which they also built another second one) but I'm not 100%. An animatronic Rex also appears for one shot in III, which I think was the refurbished second Rex from Lost World. After that though....?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

On a semi-related note, for fun I rewatched Jurassic Park III a couple of days ago on Netflix, and holy poo poo do the large-size animatronics look like dogshit. I remember reading somewhere that the Spinosaurus was the largest animatronic puppet ever put on film (don’t know if that’s still true), but the caveat to that must have been that it only had a fraction of the mobility. There’s a T.Rex puppet in it that also looks goofy as poo poo.

It’s like they made a Jurassic Park movie with Prehysteria! level quality control.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fart City posted:

The Stan Winston school has a whole bunch of videos up on youtube about the creation of that crazy thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEXpKda61dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK1qTnhHzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoswY2-1AbM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZtJVh3nUyU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iwumLz6lso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI9mDRWl3mw

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edit: in the 1991 Crichton script the T-Rex just picks up the car and puts it in a tree,

That's the way it is in the book.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Fart City posted:

On a semi-related note, for fun I rewatched Jurassic Park III a couple of days ago on Netflix, and holy poo poo do the large-size animatronics look like dogshit. I remember reading somewhere that the Spinosaurus was the largest animatronic puppet ever put on film (don’t know if that’s still true), but the caveat to that must have been that it only had a fraction of the mobility. There’s a T.Rex puppet in it that also looks goofy as poo poo.

It’s like they made a Jurassic Park movie with Prehysteria! level quality control.

Don't you dare poo poo on Prehysteria! or so help me god

glad she is dead posted:

As far as I know, by the time they got around to filming The Lost World the foam rubber skin had pretty much disintegrated (probably not helped by it getting soaking wet during filming) so they broke up the animatronic skeleton for parts for other models.

Yep. Puppets and stuff don't really last long all things considered just because the (non metal) materials break down over time. Even in perfect storage conditions puppets just kind of fall apart after a while and yeah, the t-rex puppet in question soaked up a lot of the water. I think Winston's crew was promised it wouldn't get wet and then whoops! Rain everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-ZdRFJ7c4

This video obviously isn't Stan Winston, but you can see how things break down, how they're restored, what happens, etc. The materials used are great for the short term, where they'll be filmed and then stored away, but after that they slowly started to crumble.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Even the BttF 2 shoes are rotting. Foam is garbage!

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Foam is great! For a few years. Then Bad Things happen. You don't want any Bad Things happening to your movie props, but making them out of foam is so cheap and easy. And it's light and flexible and [...]

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

The T-Rex puppet is just as good in 3 as the other films, and there's only only a single shot of it. But the Spino is definitely really rigid in motion, it looks great in stills though.

I really wish the T-Rex animatronic was around, I'd love to see that thing in person, even if it never moved.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Karloff posted:

I believe it got refurbished for Lost World (in which they also built another second one) but I'm not 100%. An animatronic Rex also appears for one shot in III, which I think was the refurbished second Rex from Lost World. After that though....?

Sold and lovingly preserved as a gently caress doll

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Re: the giant drop the car goes down - They definitely cheat it a lot since the car doesn't get kicked down the road like it was originally supposed to. If you look closely at the fence line in the earlier, daytime sequence it appears in, you can see it doesn't actually follow all the way to the tunnel the car emerges from a tunnel. That's where the drop is supposed to be, and if you look behind Grant while he's swinging on the rope you can kinda see where the raise part of the enclosure is, which is where the T-Rex came out. Basically its a ravine meant to form part of the T-Rex's enclosure, he broke out next to it, and the car gets kicked down the ravine part. It's even outright stated in the script:

quote:

71 ON THE ROAD

the T-rex starts to nudge the Explorer toward the barrier. Over
the barrier, there is a gentle terraced area at one side where the rex
emerged from, but the car isn't next to that, it's next to a sharp
precipice, representing a fifty or sixty foot drop.

So there's thought put into the geography of the scene. Though, like the T-Rex arm, they couldn't get it quite right and had to cheat it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God the old DVD of JP had such a good making the scenes doc that isn't on youtube (it was narrated by James Earl Jones and I watched it like 10,000 times) there is so many details in how they made the movie work that its really impressive to me still.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Trex arm shot ain't that bad and is worth the dramatic tension of it being hidden in the storm until oh poo poo it isn't anymore. It's head lifts up well above that voltage sign making it plausible by height even if the biomechanics of its tiny arms don't really make sense.

This was a bad movie, reasonably entertaining popcorn flick, but a bad movie. The script was generally awful, the villains are Scooby Doo levels of hilariously duplicitous evil. The only sequence of any emotional weight is the Brachiosaur not making it. It hurt me that the CGI for Rexy was so lack luster, I feel like the Trex only was there because well we all expect her to be, just so she can make a cameo to save the heroes or kill the villain. I would say this was a film with big dumb people making big dumb decisions so less dumb dinosaurs can get them. In that regard it was a success, but that's about the only level it was okay on (more dinosaurs pls).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I feel like the Trex only was there because well we all expect her to be, just so she can make a cameo

Rewatching The Lost World recently, I think my favorite part of it is how the t-rex, like, has an arc about saving its family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The only sequence of any emotional weight is the Brachiosaur not making it.

Funny how this was true of the first one too.

• Locked thread