Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Re-read Gardens of the Moon.
The T'lan Imass anti-warren effect got dropped hard in the followup books.

i wanna say it was a 1st sword/tool only thing. briefly pops back up at the very end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IIRC it had to do with the tellan (or w/e) warren which makes no since since tool isn't a bonecaster

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I believe he says something about not being able to do it in maybe Book 3 because something something second gathering.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

He wasn't bound the the gathering though iirc.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The correct bullshit excuse is K'rul got better re: the T'lan Imass anti-warren effect disappearing by book 3.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
What is the deal with the narrative style in parts of Toll the Hounds? It seems like Kruppe is the narrator in certain sections.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

promising carl posted:

What is the deal with the narrative style in parts of Toll the Hounds? It seems like Kruppe is the narrator in certain sections.

Toll the Hounds partially took place in Darujhistan. That's HIS territory, oh course HE would be the narrator in certain sections.

Another great thing about the Gardens of the Moon re-read was Whiskeyjack considering Fiddler & Hedge the two worst soldiers he's ever encountered, but fantastic sappers/demo dudes.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

He mixes up his style a bit. I guess he is aping off Arabian Nights style narration for TTH.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

dishwasherlove posted:

He mixes up his style a bit. I guess he is aping off Arabian Nights style narration for TTH.

I'm a little ways into TtH myself (~150 pages) and I've noticed the writing is way more flowery than his usual

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I imagine Toll of the Hounds was narrated by Kruppe and Fisher and the book was extremely good because of it.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Toll the Hounds partially took place in Darujhistan. That's HIS territory, oh course HE would be the narrator in certain sections.

Another great thing about the Gardens of the Moon re-read was Whiskeyjack considering Fiddler & Hedge the two worst soldiers he's ever encountered, but fantastic sappers/demo dudes.

I'm guess I'm curious to know if there's any in-universe reason for it, since it's later revealed that (TCG spoiler) The Crippled God wrote the Book of the Fallen (unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of that part of the ending).

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

promising carl posted:

I'm guess I'm curious to know if there's any in-universe reason for it, since it's later revealed that (TCG spoiler) The Crippled God wrote the Book of the Fallen (unless I'm misunderstanding the meaning of that part of the ending).

No there's no in universe reason for it.
Technically the Crippled God isn't even around for the epilogue section of TCG novel. That characters true Ascendant power was narration.
So maybe dictated via Warren-email or via alternate dimensions or dreamstates to receptive people.cough Kruppe cough.
Or just dictated to Iskaral Pust who had previous experience with that sort of task.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'm a little ways into TtH myself (~150 pages) and I've noticed the writing is way more flowery than his usual

Yeah it's definitely very purple/clumsy in places but it's often quite beautiful and poetic

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Hitting up my second reading of Fall of Light. People get mad at the final battle in FoL but it is literally spelt out in the intro of that book (not really a spoiler) "The poet who delights in visceral detail, for the sole purpose of feeding that lust for blood, has all the depth of a puddle of piss on the ground". You were warned.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

dishwasherlove posted:

Hitting up my second reading of Fall of Light. People get mad at the final battle in FoL but it is literally spelt out in the intro of that book (not really a spoiler) "The poet who delights in visceral detail, for the sole purpose of feeding that lust for blood, has all the depth of a puddle of piss on the ground". You were warned.

I think there's a vast space between visceral detail and showing none of the climax of the book and instead focusing on an old man and child playing a board game. It would have been nice to have been somewhere in that space.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I agree but I guess we have 10 books of that space. Apparently all the battles happen offscreen in Shakespeare.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Listening to Dust of Dreams and I'm saddened once more by the deaths of good characters.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

You were warned.

Then I wish I had heeded that warning. Suffice to say that I won't need warning again, my interest in that trilogy is stone cold dead at this point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked that.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I will be deeply surprised if he doesn't do a total flip in Walk in Shadow and write a massive visceral battle. Or at least a flashback to the battle in Fall of Light.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

dishwasherlove posted:

I will be deeply surprised if he doesn't do a total flip in Walk in Shadow and write a massive visceral battle. Or at least a flashback to the battle in Fall of Light.

I think its worth saying that I don't necessarily want or need a huge battle or a big action scene, big isn't always better.

The problem with FOL isn't that we were denied a big scrap at the end, it's that it is a boring, self indulgent load of wankery that did nothing except waste my time.

I adore most of the Malazan books, I really do, but Erikson is disappearing up his own arse at this stage and it shows. What I wouldn't give for another Deadhouse Gates instead of the rambling wannabe philosophy blogs contaminating his later efforts.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
give me deadhouse gates or give me death

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
FOL ending was a masterpiece.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Anti-climax after several million words of brutal show-downs was excellent.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Re-read Memories of Ice.

Tool improved for me on the re-read. Almost everyone improved during the MoI re-read except for Kivala + the Capustan council of high priests.
All the Barghast stuff in MoI made what happened in the last two books with the White Face clan less of a surprise in retrospect. It was cool seeing the 1 sentence description of the turtle-armor barghast clan in MoI, and finally Imass on Imass never changes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

On Crippled God now. I have grown to dispise the Imass and dread the parts with them. They suck so much.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

Re-read Memories of Ice.

Tool improved for me on the re-read. Almost everyone improved during the MoI re-read except for Kivala + the Capustan council of high priests.
All the Barghast stuff in MoI made what happened in the last two books with the White Face clan less of a surprise in retrospect. It was cool seeing the 1 sentence description of the turtle-armor barghast clan in MoI, and finally Imass on Imass never changes.

never a throw away line. all hail turtle armor!

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Schwza posted:

What anti-climax? Read the description of the games, do a split screen and imagine the things are happening as the crazy old man and vindictive kid play. There you go, masterpiece.

Seriously, smh with people throwing shade at Erikson for Kharkanas.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Schwza posted:

You misspelled slow-downs.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I just finished re-reading Deadhouse gates. Read Deadhouse Gates out of sequence because Memories of Ice directly followed up most of the characters from Gardens of the Moon, while DeadHouse Gates is a depressing read for me. Enjoyed the Iskaral Pust Experience and Kalam Mekhar: Malaz City adventures part One.

Reading book 2 + book 3 out of order let me notice how wonky book 2 was. The soul transfer + reincarnation stuff that was a major plot point in book 3(and moderate plot point in book 1) was pretty much a highly technical yet mundane procedure by the time book 2 ended. Book 2 had the soul transfer + reincarnation stuff as a pre-existing condition, or just focused on the 1st bit while book 3 focused more on the 2nd bit with the addition of what the physical costs were for the volunteer/voluntold that hosted the soul transfer + reincarnation stuff.

Granted there was major differences in what happened in book 2 versus book 3. Book 2 had established identity entities who choose to stop quick-aging at certain point versus book 3 with the polar opposite scenario. 100,000+ year time scale, multiple souls existing in one shell, an elder god + Kruppe winging the soul transfer + reincarnation stuff, and no life force to power the reborn entity other than the volunteer/voltuntold host entity.

Having now re-read book 1 + book 3 + book 2, almost all my dislike about Tool + Tool's goddamn multiple lives has vanished.
By the time book 9 rolled around, more than a few people had been already reborn in the Book of the Fallen series. Talking about the multi-souled Silverfox, the wickan child mages (with a possible 3rd life happening for Sormo), duiker, tool life v2, toc the younger, and I am probably missing a few others. Not counting Coltaine being reborn because I refuse to read any more Ian Esslemont Malazan books than I already have.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Started re-reading House of Chains. This caught my attention.

quote:

A low altar caught Karsa's attention. Some lowlander god, signified by a small clay statue - a boar, standing on it's hind legs.

The Teblor knocked it to the earthen floor, then shattered it with a single stomp of his heel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, nice catch.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Re-read Midnight Tides and am about halfway through my Bonehunters re-read.

Midnight Tides re-read:
There was a whole lot of subtle ocean puns for one character before the big reveal.
Catfish in the flooded warren/catfish chilling on the flooded warren spanning border wall that hyper-evolved limbs made think of the K'Chain race and the K'Chain nanomachines/fluids as a lead-up to the Shake + various coastal lurking horrors ala X-COM: Terror from the Deep Lobstermen.
e: might belong in House of Chains, it had Trull & the gimpy notEvil T'lan Imass.

Bonehunters:
The ancient 7 bodied sealed evil getting owned by everything is still great, Iskaral Pust being revealed as not-useless was a bonus.
Bonehunters has lots and lots of K'Chain race history that was interesting but overwhelming page-filler material on the my 1st read, not so on the re-read.

Belated House of Chains: the Adjunct & Admiral Nok had a chat covering the Malazan Deadhouse giving the Emperor & Emperor's crew (full member list included in chat) extensive "benefits" while the Emperor was putting together his plans for conquering Malaz City.

Also may have caught a Mortal Kombat Goro reference, or I just might be loopy from reading 5.5 malazan books in 8 days.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 19, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Crippled God has a lot of BS in it. Those kids crossing the glass desert, mappo's mopey march, and the Shake all suck.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Crippled God has a lot of BS in it. Those kids crossing the glass desert, mappo's mopey march, and the Shake all suck.

It was a loving slog that's for sure.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ed balls balls man posted:

It was a loving slog that's for sure.

It is amazing to find myself feeling relief when the t'lan imass parts appear again.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I hated the snake until the rap battle.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The final stand of the Shake is one of best parts of the book.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The Shake payoff is worth it imo. Especially after Fall of Light and presumably even more once Erikson writes Walk in Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It would be extremely Erikson if the 3rd Kharkanas book skipped all the Tiste civil war stuff, and was 100% about the K'Chain Che'Malle vs K'Chain Nah'ruk civil war instead.

Finished Bonehunters re-read last night. The repeated forced slowdowns + forced hurry-ups in the book so the Letheri/Bonehunters/Karsa/Icarium storylines all synced up really stood out in the re-read and ultimately made the Bonehunters re-read ok, not great.

Example: The left behind survivors of the Y'Ghatan siege + their friends with warren-traveling abilities deciding to walk through the desert with no water or food and reminiscence instead of using warren-quick travel powers was really dumb. Or possibly reinforced the idea that Malazan soldiers are really badass but utter failures in real life. Or 3rd option: misery endurance death marches is just the 14th armies thing, don't question it or directly question the Adjunct Tavore.